more ยป" />

Consultation

by Meghann on April 20, 2010

Step 1 – Make Dentist appointment – Check!

Step 2 – Go to Dentist appointment, sit in Dentist Chair and entertain myself with twitter and camera phone – Check!

2.jpg

Step 3 – Take x-rays and photos of teeth – Check!

2.jpg

Step 4 – Consult with dentist – Check!

Step 5 – Have teeth cleaned….. no check :/

I faced my fears today and sat in a dentist chair for the first time in 2 years! My heart was racing the whole time, but I survived!

I thought I was getting my teeth cleaned, but after 1.5 hours in said chair I learned that today was actually a ‘new patient consultation.’ Bummer. Looks like I’ll be back soon though. Once for the cleaning and another to fill a couple of cavities the x-rays revealed. Have I mentioned I have bad teeth? ๐Ÿ™ I swear I floss and brush my teeth every night, but that never seems to be enough.

Oh well.

When I finally made it back to my office this afternoon it was close to 4:00 and I was ready for my afternoon snack.

The Mountain Mix Mojo Bar was the perfect fuel for the Hot Yoga Class I planned to meet Caitlin at after work.

Tonight’s session of hot yoga was once again, amazing. There is nothing like a good session of hot yoga to really push one’s body and mind to the limits.

I left class a hot, sweaty mess and headed straight to the kitchen.

Basically I just threw every vegetable I had in a pan on the stove top.

• Radishes
  • Green Beans
  • Mushrooms
  • Zucchini
  • Yellow Squash
  • Sun Dried Tomato
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Garlic
  • Cumin
  • Chili Powder

The veggies were topped with cous cous and a naked quorn cutlet then drizzled with some soy sauce.

The soy sauce drizzle really did a great job of bringing together the flavors of the vegetables with the cous cous and quorn cutlet. Without it I think the dish would really have been missing something.

Dessert was the final piece of my Dark Chocolate Easter Bunny.

I’m exhausted – time for bed!

Well… Glee first and then bed. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas April 20, 2010 at 10:00 pm

The cleaning is the easiest part. You feel so much better after it! So really, you’ve done all the tough stuff, congrats!

2 missyrayn April 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm

That’s not cool to sit for an hour and a half and not get any work done. Not fun.

I have bad teeth too but I take care of them. They just run in my family.

3 Matt April 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I seriously hate the dentist. It is the worst!

4 Kalli@fitandfortysomething April 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Oh I am proud of you! Good job for facing your fears ๐Ÿ™‚

5 chasingthenow April 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Just reading your dentist post gives me chills. I HATE IT! But I have to face my fears when we go home and get into the chair!

6 theprocessofhealing April 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm

That sucks about the dentist! I have bad teeth too! I blame my bad teeth genes on my mom.

7 modernation April 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I finished my dark chocolate Easter bunny last night. See you next year Easter bunnies!

8 Chloe April 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Good job following through on going to the dentist! A bummer they didn’t actually clean your teeth, but at least now you’re on the right track!

9 Megan April 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The veggie combos you throw together always look so much more appetizing than mine! The colors in this are great– sometimes I get too focused on a recipe and forget about plating it and eating with your eyes as well.

10 Jenna April 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I love that mojo barrr ๐Ÿ™‚

11 kirsten April 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm

i always have cavaties too, some people are just more prone to them I think! I went to the dentist in 2008 after not going for 3 years and I had 15 cavaties ๐Ÿ™ after that bill I religiously floss!

12 Emilyeatsclean April 20, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Girl….I HATE the dentist. Weird that the orthodontist never bothered me, but the dentist makes me a crazy mess! I can’t believe your chocolate Easter bunny made it this long…that’s totally impressive!!!

-emily

13 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 20, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I’ve been to several different dentists in my life. I’ve never had to sit for 1.5 hours for a “consultation” before getting my teeth cleaned. Strange.

14 Erin April 21, 2010 at 9:12 am

Same here. That seems weird. I just went to a brand new dentist in January after not seeing any dentist for over a year. They took X-rays and looked at my teeth AND cleaned them. Just like a regular visit. None of this consultation stuff!

15 christina April 20, 2010 at 11:11 pm

i hate the dentist too, but you must go!! i love the feeling of clean teeth after the visit! you can do it! ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Me and bf went to this new dentist when we first moved to Toronto and she BUTCHERED our mouth. It’s like a horror movie that replays in my head, and I haven’t been back since (also like twoish years).

17 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 20, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Good for you for biting the bullet. Just think, once you get those cavities taken care of and start getting regular cleaning it’ll be even less stressful!

18 Rika April 20, 2010 at 11:30 pm

i hear youu! i brush and floss twice a day and i still get cavities ๐Ÿ™ while my sister.. doesn’t do anything and gets nada. life’s not fair ๐Ÿ™

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm

glad to hear that you survived the dentist appointment! Cute headband by the way ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 21, 2010 at 12:01 am

I just tossed the last of the Easter candy. My kids think the candy fairy came and took it.

21 britchickruns April 21, 2010 at 3:25 am

Awh well done for facing your fear!! That dinner sounds lovely ๐Ÿ™‚

22 sarah (the SHU box) April 21, 2010 at 5:36 am

same thing happened to me when i waited ~2 years to see a dentist once — cavity city. i think we have the same teeth!

23 Kate B. April 21, 2010 at 7:08 am

You sound like me when it comes to going to the dentist. I went for the first time in about 1.5-2 years about a year ago and again can’t bring myself to go back, that first experience after a long time away was enough. Ha!

24 amanda April 21, 2010 at 7:45 am

i seriously think some teeth are just sensitive. no matter how much you maintain them, they get cavities. pshhh, i’m that way. drives me nanners.

but you made the first step and went…so that’s done and over with.

and i kind of love that you took a picture of yourself while sitting in the chair. gigggle.

25 runningwithsass April 21, 2010 at 8:58 am

I hate the dentist too! I haven’t been in a couple years either…oops! I don’t have insurance for it and it’s expensive!

26 Katherine: What About Summer? April 21, 2010 at 9:15 am

I don’t know why but it has always bothered me a bit and made me giggle to call foods naked… I wonder if I had a rough childhood.

Did you grow up going to the dentist? I feel like people who had bad experiences as a child hate the dentist. I think I like mine because I’m a third child and was desperate for attention growing up haha
best of luck!
Katherine

27 Kelly April 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

I loved Glee last night, so good! Sorry about the cavities.

28 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) April 21, 2010 at 10:35 am

I feel your pain, literally! I brush, floss, use mouthwash, you name it and I still get cavities. I’ve had a ton filled recently because I went a few years without going to the dentist.

I’ve also had a couple of root canals and had to have a tooth pulled last December (which had already had a couple of root canals on it too). Sometimes I feel like I’m cursed! ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 Ellen April 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Aw, you sound like me! For a long time I thought I was cursed. Everytime I went to the dentist it was always more bad news and I would cry!

30 Tracy April 21, 2010 at 10:49 am

I feel your pain!! I take perfect (almost obsessive) care of my teeth and still get cavities. I blame it on genes from my mom. But kudos to you for getting in there…I have learned the more often you go the better!

31 Molly April 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

My mom is the person who cleans your teeth when you visit the dentist (dental hygienist) so I really do not hate going there at all! I guess I basically grew up around the dental office. Regular checkups though may cut down on cavities.. just saying

32 Therese April 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I started getting cavities when I turned 20 and my dentist told me that if I’m drinking filtered water (love my Brita filter), I may not be getting enough fluoride. So I got a fluoride rinse at the grocery store. They even come in little kid flavors! You just swish for 2 minutes LAST THING before going to bed (you can’t eat/drink for at least 30 minutes afterward). And it doesn’t sting like mouthwash!

33 Ellen April 21, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Same thing happened to me with the dentist. I went for a cleaning and after 1.5 hours was told to come back in two days for my actual cleaning. Sheesh. Try explaining that to your boss! I have bad teeth as well. I grew up on well-water and my parents didn’t take us to the dentist EVER. When in college I got everything, mouthwise, taken care of and was told by a dentist to “floss every day” or else. So, I do take really good care of my teeth now and go for a cleaning every six months! I haven’t had a cavity in 5+ years.

***I always pick the ‘baking soda’ cleaning. Really messy but you can’t beat the feeling of baking soda clean teeth!

34 Caitlin April 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I also went to the dentist yesterday and found out I had a cavity! That is, after they had to re-take my x-rays 3 times because the machine was messed up! I hope I’m not radioactive now. Good luck when you go back!

35 Michele April 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Ugh, I have terrible teeth, too. My mouth is practically reflective from all the silver in there.

36 Anna @ Oats N Boats April 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I’ve always loved the dentist and so I was really irked when I went to a new dentist and they did the same thing. I called for a cleaning, and they scheduled a new patient appt. I understand that for practical purposes (and billing purposes) they are two separate things, but I would’ve appreciated if they had informed me that would be the case, as every other dentist I’ve gone to has always scheduled it so the new patient & cleaning is in the same time block. I actually ended up switching dentists because their dentist was always late and had to cancel on me a few times – after I had been sitting there for awhile!