Marathon Monday

by Meghann on April 19, 2010

Happy Marathon Monday everyone!

Do you know anyone running the Boston Marathon today? Tracking someone special?!?!

I love the spirit of the Boston Marathon and the energy that the day brings with it to the running community. I have a number of friends I will be tracking, but would like to wish a big GOOD LUCK! to all the other Boston runners out there. You guys are going to rock it!

Hopefully, I’ll be at that starting line one day. Maybe next year or perhaps 2012 or 2013, who knows? The point is I know with a little hard work and preparation I will get there soon! πŸ™‚

My Monday may not have started with a marathon today, but I did manage to get a good 6 mile run in. I haven’t run since Thursday, so my legs were itching to move!

I was just exiting my apartment complex this morning when I realized something was off. The sound my feet make when they hit the pavement seemed louder than normal, as did my breathing. It took me a minute or two to realize what was different – I had forgot my headphones and iPod at home!

I love how it took me a half a mile to realize I was missing my iPod. By then it was too late to turn around, so I just ran without music. Honestly, it wasn’t that bad. I had a lot of time to think without any noise to distract me. I may have even nailed down a new name for my blog, but you will just have to wait and see on that one. πŸ˜‰

The mamey I had purchased yesterday at Robert is Here was waiting for me to enjoy with breakfast this morning.

IMG_4820

Robert had personally informed me that the mamey is a very special fruit because the tree itself takes 20 years to reach maturity to start producing fruit and the fruit actually takes 18 months to ripen on the tree. I guess that explains the heavy duty price for the fruit ($3.50 per pound).

IMG_4823

I tried a small piece by itself and was amazed once again how similar to pumpkin pie it tasted. It had a cooked squash like texture, but had a very sweet taste as if cinnamon and sugar had already been mixed in.

IMG_4824

I knew it would make the perfect topping for my cereal this morning.

IMG_4837

• 1/2 cup Peanut Butter Puffins
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Kashi H2H
  • 1/4 cup Whole Food Bulk Bin Muesli
  • Plain Greek Yogurt
  • Mamey
  • Cacao Nibs

IMG_4828

If you enjoy pumpkin in you cereal or oats, then you will enjoy mamey. It mixed very nicely with the creamy yogurt and was the perfect complement to my bowl of cereal.

IMG_4827

As good as the mamey was plain and with the cereal, I think it was even better in shake form. I’m looking forward to using the rest of the mamey in a homemade version of the shake I enjoyed yesterday in the very near future.

Have I mentioned I will be in San Francisco in less than two weeks?!?! The thought hit me on my run this morning! I can not wait! πŸ™‚

1 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) April 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

That fruit looks very interesting – a bit like a Papaya! I ran Boston last year and hope to run it again in 2011. 3:40 or bust. Woo-hoo! πŸ™‚

2 Diana April 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

The Boston Marathon does sound like an awesome event πŸ™‚

That bowl of cereal looks great and I’m very curious about that fruit! Also curious about the new blog name.

Have a great monday!

3 britchickruns April 19, 2010 at 8:51 am

If I have to run without headphones, all I can think about is food! What shall I next cook, what’s for breakfast etc etc πŸ˜›
Oooh I love the sound of that fruit! I might google it and see if it’s available in England…
Have a good day πŸ˜€

4 poiseinparma April 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

I have never heard of that fruit before you posted it this weekend. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it – probably won’t see too much of it up here in Ohio!

5 Becky April 19, 2010 at 8:58 am

I am commenting from the train…on my way to the marathon! This year I’m just cheering on the sidelines, but I hope to run Boston someday. The atmosphere in the city is so inspiring!

6 midgetkeeper April 19, 2010 at 8:58 am

That fruit looks so interesting, I would love to try it.

Have a great day!

7 Christina April 19, 2010 at 9:00 am

That looks like an interesting fruit. I’ve never heard of it. Sounds great though. I love pumpkin pie!

8 Leanne April 19, 2010 at 9:07 am

I just don’t know if I could run without music… I’m so accustomed to it!

9 runningwithsass April 19, 2010 at 9:08 am

sorry you forgot your music. i ahve done that before!

10 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 19, 2010 at 9:15 am

Come to think of it mamey looks a lot like a ripe papaya–I wonder if they taste the same. You’ve got me so curious about this thing.

My future bakery co-owner is running today!!!!!!

11 Jenny April 19, 2010 at 9:15 am

The Mamet almost resembles a pumpkin, too! Crazy!

12 theprocessofhealing April 19, 2010 at 9:20 am

That sounds delicious! I hope to run the Boston one day. I’m not sure it’s in the cards for me but I can dream anyway!

13 gavrielski April 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

The mamey (and your whole weekend trip) look amazing! I always run without headphones and music because I live in a big city (San Francisco in fact! :)) and I’m nervous about cars. I hope you enjoyed your unplugged run!

14 thedailyoatmeal April 19, 2010 at 9:37 am

What an interesting fruit! I love pumpkin spice (but not pumpkin pie), so I imagine this would be a real treat.

No clue where I would even begin to lay my hands on it in Chicagoland though! πŸ™

15 Emilyeatsclean April 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

I would LOVE to run Boston…..what an amazing experience it would be!!! That fruit looks, well…..interesting! πŸ™‚

-emily

16 Matt April 19, 2010 at 10:05 am

I love running without music πŸ™‚

17 skinnyrunner April 19, 2010 at 10:16 am

that is such a weird looking fruit but sounds good!
ive started running without music and you get used to it. of course, i haven’t done any long runs without tunes.

18 Derek April 19, 2010 at 10:24 am

bring on san fran and ike’s doomsday sandwich!!!

19 biz319 April 19, 2010 at 10:41 am

Your fruit almost looks like kobacha too! Love all your travels, I don’t go anywhere so it’s nice to see places on your blog! πŸ˜€

20 Caitlin April 19, 2010 at 10:45 am

My 2 professors are running it today!

21 Anna April 19, 2010 at 10:59 am

I didn’t realize you were changing the name of your blog– I must have missed it! Can I ask why?

You’ll definitely be at Boston soon…I am in awe of your running!

22 Courtney Can Eat April 19, 2010 at 11:05 am

Wow, that fruit. I think it’s miraculous that it takes the tree so long to grow. Imagine the farmer, nurturing it from a little seedling, to finally bearing its fruit? πŸ™‚ Happy Boston Marathon Day! Good luck to all of the runners. When will see see you running there, Meg?

23 Erin April 19, 2010 at 11:15 am

What an interesting-looking fruit. I’ve never even heard of mamey! You’re making the taste sound absolutely delicious though. Wonder where I can get it in this area…

24 Kierstan April 19, 2010 at 11:16 am

I’ve never heard of mamey – think I can get my hands on some here in Iowa??

My best friend is running today! Love tracking her progress!!

25 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

I sometimes turn my ipod off when I run. Something about the rythm of my feet and breathing calm me and allow me to think. Sometimes, though, I really need some music to keep going πŸ™‚

26 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 19, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’ve never heard of that! How cool. I love learning about new foods.

27 Liz April 19, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I could be wrong but didn’t you say you were going to be taking a running break after the 50K? Not that it matters…I am just curious! I really want to know your secret to preventing injury! You work out SO much!

28 Meghann April 19, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I didn’t say I would take a break from running per se, I just said I would take a break from training for long events such as marathons and ultra-marathons. I am going to focus more on tri-training so that I am more well rounded than just running all the time.

And I don’t nessecarily believe I work out a ton. The run this morning took me less than an hour to do and for me 6 miles at a 9:15 pace is no big deal. However, I know that’s not the norm. And that was my first run since Thursday. On Saturday I spent most of the day walking and yesterday was a very leisurely bike ride where the 15 miles took us about an hour and a half to complete. Yes, I am very active, but I don’t over do it which is why *knock on wood* I’m free from injuries (ughh.. I hate to even say it because I am so superstitous about jinxing myself! lol)

29 dianacheung April 19, 2010 at 12:49 pm

why are you going to san francisco again?! (new reader alert)

30 Meghann April 19, 2010 at 1:04 pm

For vacation πŸ™‚

31 Jenna April 19, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Mamey sounds like an interesting fruit!

32 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc April 19, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Breakfast looks delicious! And exotic !!!
Sara

33 Kelly April 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Why are you changing the name of your blog?

34 Meghann April 19, 2010 at 1:35 pm

It is something I have been debating about for a while. I just don’t think the title really describes me anymore and it’s really long and annoying to write out. πŸ™‚

35 fromatopink April 19, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I’m so jealous you’ll be in San Fran! That is one of my favorite cities – gorgeous! Can’t wait to read your blog posts from there. πŸ˜‰

36 missyrayn April 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Boston would be my dream race but for now I don’t have the ability. Maybe one day I’ll run it for a charity.

Can’t wait to see how you rename the blog. πŸ™‚