more ยป" />

Freaky Temps

by Meghann on April 19, 2010

I would like to point out that its April 19th and I am currently sitting on my couch with no ac, all the windows opened, and am a little chilly. Where do I live again? Because this is not central Florida!

However, I’m not complaining. The freaky weather is awesome for my electricity bill. Gotta love it! ๐Ÿ™‚

The rest of my afternoon flew by at work today. Gotta love the never ending task list to keep me entertained.

Before my 3:00pm meeting – anyone else ever feel like there days are just one meeting after another? – I snacked on a piece of pumpkin nut bread.

I had a block of silken tofu in the fridge and a free evening to experience in the kitchen. After a little googling for inspiration I came across a recipe for Lentil- Bulgur Loaf that sounded good.

I halved the recipe and followed the step-by-step directions to a tee. It was a pretty time consuming recipe, but the results were pretty tasty.

The loaf looked, smelled, and tasted just like a regular ole meat loaf. It was pretty fantastic actually. Especially with a little ketchup. ๐Ÿ™‚

On the side I had some parsnip fries (parsnips baked in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes with salt and pepper)

and steamed green beans.

For dessert I had the last of the Peanut Butter Chocolate Thumbprint cookies from Meredith.

Maddie has a boyfriend.

She is in love with my neighbor’s dog, Yoda, and runs up to their porch every time we walk by. It’s so cute. She’ll sit there and whine for Yoda to come outside. When he does come outside they’ll run, run, and run, which means a tired pups. I’m quite fond of Yoda myself for that aspect of their relationship. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 dotsie April 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I think we need some pics of Yoda ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 20, 2010 at 8:10 am

Agreed!

3 Evan Thomas April 19, 2010 at 8:41 pm

“I just realized this was meal was 100% vegan. The best vegan meals are the ones I consume without even trying to make it vegan.”
I couldn’t agree more! In fact, I just realized everything from lunch through dinner tonight has been vegan. I love eating like this, but I love it even more when I don’t try because then I feel no pressure if I fail

4 Julie @ Wearing Mascara April 19, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I feel like I need to try parsnip fries… I see them on your blog all the time. I love fries and ketchup so what could go wrong? Also, I love when puppies have significant others – it’s adorable.

5 Jenny April 19, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Ugh! I hate meeting-filled days! Glad yours is over:)

6 tropicaleats April 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm

i love lentils. just made a whole bag of them yesterday and seasoned them with Adobo. That loaf looks awesome! def gonna have to try that recipe this summer

7 Erin April 19, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I *need* to make this pumpkin bread. It always looks so delicious. ๐Ÿ˜€

It’s chilly up here in DC, too, but hopefully we’ll get back into the 70s by the weekend.

8 Dori April 19, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Maddie and Yoda sitting in a tree, R-U-N-N-I-N-G. Ok that doesn’t exactly make sense but you know what I mean.

9 jentrinque April 19, 2010 at 9:29 pm

I think it’s so neat how often you eat vegetarian or vegan, but don’t ever think of it that way!

10 Jenna April 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm

You are so creative with your meals!!

11 theprocessofhealing April 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm

That’s so cute about Maddie!!!!
I really need to try parsnip fries, I’m seeing them everywhere!

12 Katherine: What About Summer? April 19, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Maddie and Yoda sitting in a tree… or doing their business together on a tree… oh dog romance

13 amanda April 19, 2010 at 11:06 pm

best kind of weather for april. the hotness can hold off until at least may!

pumpkin bread…yummmmm!

14 Lizz April 20, 2010 at 1:10 am

I love meatless meatloaf! I just made one, but the base of it was crumbled veggie burgers so it wasn’t too complicated/time consuming. However, I guess it kinda seems silly to pay for premade veggie burgers just to turn them into something else!

15 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 20, 2010 at 1:26 am

That oatmeal looks pretty fantastic. I wonder if I could get my “it’s not a meal without meat” husband to try it.

16 snowflakesandsunshine.wordpress.com April 20, 2010 at 1:49 am

What’s the temperature there at the moment? It was about 64 here on Sunday and that’s considered a heat wave for us!

That loaf looks great, I completely agree about the ‘accidental’ vegan meals. I often have some without even trying.

17 britchickruns April 20, 2010 at 3:04 am

Haha, Yoda – what a sexy name for a dog! Maddie blates must have good taste ๐Ÿ˜›

18 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 20, 2010 at 5:32 am

I sometimes think that if we all had less meetings about how to do things then things might get done…

19 Julie @ Pickley Pear April 20, 2010 at 6:04 am

I have never bought a parsnip, I have no clue what they even look like! Hopefully it’s sunny, if not HOT in FL!

20 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward April 20, 2010 at 6:46 am

Aw, Maddie! Nothing like young love ๐Ÿ˜‰

It is chilly here too, but I am so ready for summer!

21 Veggielady4life April 20, 2010 at 7:56 am

I LOVE a good lentil loaf! I used to make a similar recipe all the time. It’s my alternative to meat loaf!! And I like the idea of making parsnip fries. I usually just slice them in circles… but I might try this next time. Thanks!

22 Amy April 20, 2010 at 8:24 am

Ooooh, that meatloaf looks amazing!! I’ve never tried silken tofu before, but after seeing this, I might just have to ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad you’re enjoying your crazy weather– we’ve been having some weirdo temperature swings, too…. but honestly, we’re in OH, so we’ve been raised to expect anything (read: snow in April. barf.)

23 Kelly April 20, 2010 at 8:35 am

Awwww haha how cute. Puppy love!

24 Lacey @ Lake Life April 20, 2010 at 8:52 am

Aww. Maddie & Yoda sittin’ in a tree…

Or running in the yard ๐Ÿ™‚

25 Heather April 20, 2010 at 8:54 am

it was chilly here, too yesterday! (mississippi) very random!

26 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 20, 2010 at 8:59 am

Aww I’m glad Maddie has a friend ๐Ÿ™‚ I make vegan meals by accident all the time- I usually don’t notice until my husband complains about something missing haha.

27 Beth April 20, 2010 at 9:33 am

That looks awesome….

I’d like to make it tonight but don’t have bulgur or tofu…do you think I could substitute anything??

28 lowandbhold April 20, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love accidental vegan meals! And yes, days sometimes totally feel like a neverending string of meetings!

29 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 20, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Our temps are all over the place, too. 80’s, 70’s, 60’s…down into the 40’s some nights.

30 Olivia April 20, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I do that all the time too – make meals that are vegetarian/vegan without really meaning to. Drives my husband, who’s a meat ‘n potatos man, crazy! I eat meat, I just really don’t like handling it in the kitchen… it’s all slippery and gross.

31 Jes (Self Motivation) April 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Aw my old roommate had the cutest pug named Yoda. I miss seeing him.

32 Caitie April 21, 2010 at 9:50 am

Did you use soy mayo or real mayo?

33 Meghann April 21, 2010 at 9:53 am

I forgot the mayo sauce was part of the recipe! I just left the mayo stuff out all together and topped the lentil loaf with ketchup instead.