Hard Core Riders

by Meghann on April 18, 2010

4+ hours of driving later I am happy to say Maddie and I are safe and sound back home.

(Maddie says Hi!)

Unfortunately, the rain gods were NOT on our side this morning. We awoke to rain, rain, rain and no rain. Booooo…. :(

While we debated whether to continue with our plan to bike the everglades or not, Melissa played the roll of gracious hostess and made us breakfast.

I had a lovely cereal mess.

• Kashi Puff
  • Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • Kashi H2H (Can you tell Melissa loves Kashi?!?! πŸ˜‰ )
  • Pineapple Chobani
  • Strawberries
  • Dark Chocolate PB&Co Peanut Butter

I’ve picked up and put back the Dark Chocolate PB&Co several times in the past, but have never purchased it because I was afraid I wouldn’t like it. This morning was my first official taste and oh me, oh my this was tasty. It tasted just like a reeses cup! You will see me purchasing my own jar very, very soon. πŸ˜‰

During breakfast we realized.

A) Rain will not kill us

B) We are BAD ASS

Pshhhh…. Rain, Smain… we were going on a bike ride!

Melissa took me to a 15 mile path she knew of in the Everglades.

Despite the rain, there was still quite a few tourist taking in the sites and several other cyclists heading out on the path.

The trail was a paved path that went right through the swampy marsh of the everglades. We rode by several alligators – some were even right on the path! – and I cursed myself several times for not bringing my camera with me on the ride. :( I was *this close* to packing it on the bike, but it was raining when we left the car and I just didn’t want to risk ruining it on the ride. Oh well.

In the end we were both very proud that we had braved he rain for our ride. A little rain never hurt anyone anyways. πŸ˜‰

My parents were down in the everglades back in August and on their visited they paid a visit to a little fruit called Robert is Here. The place REALLY impressed my Dad and he had been going on and on about it ever since.

I hope you’re reading this Dad because after our bike ride I begged Melissa to take me straight there!

Robert is Here is famous for their fabulous fruit milkshakes.

I scanned the menu and decided to go with the one fruit I did not recognize.

I was told the mamey fruit tasted very similar to a pumpkin pie custard. Pumpkin Pie?!?! Umm…. Yes Please!

WOW!!! The shake was AMAZING! It was very creamy and really did tasted similar to a pumpkin pie! It was so good in fact that I found the mamey in the store and purchased some to eat at home.

When we made it back to Melissa’s house I dug into my left over indian food for lunch.

Then Maddie and I said our good byes and started our journey back home.

Maddie is horrible in car rides by the way. She jumps from seat to seat and does not sit still. Grrr….

We survived the rainy ride and made it home in great timing. Did you know I heard Kesha’s Tik Tok 4 times on the radio and Lay Gaga’s Alejandro 3 times?!?! I think the local stations need to invest in a little more musical variety.

This has been a carb heavy weekend, so I tried my best to balance it all out with a veggie heavy meal for dinner.

My base of massaged kale salad was topped with

• yucca
  • carrots
  • asparagus
  • artichoke hearts
  • grilled zucchini
  • grilled yellow squash
  • hummus

With two crumbled chocolate thumb print cookies for dessert that Meredith had shared at the dinner last night.

Thanks again Meredith! The cookies were great! :)

What a long day! TIme to kick back with a little Glee and call it a night.

Good night everyone!!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 18, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Exercising in the rain can be quite fun after you get over the getting wet part. I wanna try Mamey…I’ve never seen it before.

I agree–so many overplayed songs on the radio these days!!

2 Ash Bear April 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Rain never killed anyone except the wicked witch and that you are not! :) Congrats on being brave and finding a crazy fruit like that. Somehow I don’t think I can find that in NYC. Maybe that will be my new goal… :)

3 Jenny April 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm

That’s awesome you guys still went on the bike ride- very bad ass! Glad to hear you’re enjoying Glee:)

4 Jes (Self Motivation) April 18, 2010 at 9:47 pm

That’s awesome that you went out and rode anyway! Your breakfast looks very delicious!

5 Emilyeatsclean April 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Way to go for riding in the rain!! Love that little market…..those little hole in the wall places seems to be the best, don’t they?!?!

6 Melissa S. April 18, 2010 at 9:50 pm

We rocked that bike ride….hell yeah we’re bad ass. :)

miss you already!

7 hundredtenpounds April 18, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Despite the rain, how was the ride? We got caught in the rain last weekend during our bike ride. It wasn’t great but it wasn’t as horrible as I thought it would be. Note to self: NEVER take off sunglasses when riding!! I got lots of grit and dirt in my eyes. :(

8 theprocessofhealing April 18, 2010 at 9:55 pm

That milkshake sounds awesome!!!
I used to love to run in the rain :) Fun times

9 Evan Thomas April 18, 2010 at 9:55 pm

You riders are tough! I hate the rain, thank god for treadmills!
Dark chocolate dreams just doesn’t do it for me :-/ But Justin’s new chocolate peanut butter–my oh my!!

10 Jenna April 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm

What a great day :)

11 Karla April 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Mamey!! I eat that every time I visit my grandma in Guatemala!

12 Erin April 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Wow, those smoothies sound incredible. What yummy flavors! Such a nice post-exercise treat. πŸ˜€

13 Becky April 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Fun adventures! It’s definitely badass to bike in the rain…you ladies are hardcore for sure! Have you ever tried using a pet carrier for Maddie? My dog is about her size and loves his – it’s the airline regulation little black duffel thing with mesh on the sides. He actually loves it so much that I keep it by the foot of my bed and he naps in there every day (I leave it unzipped so he can get in and out on his own) It makes traveling with him SO MUCH easier…he just curls up and goes to sleep after a few minutes in the car. Maddie is quite adorable for such a feisty traveler!

14 missyrayn April 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Oooo new fruits with fun names. That sounds great!

Our dogs jump around until they get tired. On a short ride (anything under 3 hours) Peanut has to be in my lap so she can stare at all the cars.

15 Jessie (Vegan-minded) April 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

You guys are total bad asses! Robert is Here is a great reward for a bike ride like that too. I love that place, but sadly I can’t have their shakes anymore since there aren’t vegan. Mamey is delicious isn’t it? Glad you make it back safely with all the bad rain today. :)

16 Kate April 19, 2010 at 8:44 am

I know it’s not the same but they will make a slushie for you if you ask. It’s not on the menu but I have had some friends order them and they said they are great!

17 Melissa S. April 19, 2010 at 11:29 am

I saw on the sign that you can ask for no sugar and ice instead. you totally need to go jessie!!!!

18 caronae April 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I love to run in the rain! And wow, that milk shake sounds yummy. I have never heard of mamey either, but I have heard of sapote. Sounds like a super fun visit!!

19 Emily April 18, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I’ve been to the Robert Is Here fruit stand. My grandpa’s name is Robert, so I took lots of pictures for him. I’m now regretting that I didn’t try the milkshakes when I was there!

20 bakebikeblog April 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm

ooooh I have never heard of mamey – sounds interesting though!

21 Run Sarah April 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm

That place sounds awesome – I love trying new fruit too, pumpkin pie-like fruit sounds good to me!

22 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Never heard of mamey. Wonder where I could find it here. It sounds like a great idea for smoothies.

23 Marissa April 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Go you for riding in the rain! That mamey fruit sounds really good!

24 chasingthenow April 18, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Great job on the rainy ride. I don’t know if I’m quite there yet! :)

25 emily April 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Oooh, mamey sounds fun. I had a key lime pie milkshake from a shack in the everglades once (a different shack) that was seriously the best thing on Earth.

FL seems to be particularly bad with radio repetition. When I was in Orlando for the Disney Princess Half I seriously heard that Ludacris “How Low Can You Go” song more than 25times in five days.

26 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm

I have never heard of Mamey! I MUST track some down!

27 Trish April 18, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Now I feel so wimpy for skipping my run today because of the rain. Way to go on getting out there.

And I can’t believe you drove back and forth to Miami in one weekend – on top of all you did. Where do I get your energy?

28 thewhatkateateblog April 19, 2010 at 12:36 am

I love that a fruit tastes like pie! Yum!

29 Dori April 19, 2010 at 1:20 am

Never heard of Mamey. WANT IT!!!!

30 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 19, 2010 at 3:00 am

ah Dark Chocolate Dreams! I am hoarding my jar because I am so scared it is going to be over before I know it… so good on bananas. And toast. And pretty much everything!

31 britchickruns April 19, 2010 at 3:05 am

I always think after a hard run in the rain or something, I feel much more noble, cos it’s harder. It’s more satisfying!
MORE fruit I don’t recognize – these crazy varieties keep popping up! I want to make it my mission to try EVERY fruit in the world πŸ˜›

32 Diana April 19, 2010 at 3:11 am

Ahhh, carb heavy weekend, I have those very often. :p That fruit looks interesting, I’d never heard of it! Glad you had a good time!

33 candace April 19, 2010 at 4:00 am

Yum that cereal looks delicious, so does that pumpkin smoothie- i love anything that resembles pumpkin pie.
Check out my blog

34 Cassie April 19, 2010 at 6:07 am

Mamey? Ha never heard of it. Way to go with the unknown! Very adventurous of you. πŸ˜‰

35 NYCRunnerGirl April 19, 2010 at 7:15 am

It’s funny, when I was scanning the list of fruits I was pretty sure you wouldn’t pick something as ordinary as, say, strawberry. But mamey? Interesting! Never heard of it.

36 Matt April 19, 2010 at 7:27 am

Nothing wrong with getting a little wet πŸ˜‰

37 Julia @ British Bride April 19, 2010 at 8:00 am

Great post – your doggie is just so gorgeous – I so want a dog!! If you work, how does she cope with being left alone – or does that not really happen? Just wondering as that is my one bar to getting a pup!

Cheers Julia

38 Heather ODonnell April 19, 2010 at 8:47 am

PB & Co also makes a white chocolate peanut butter. So good! I highly recommend it.

39 Kate April 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

Meghann, it’s so weird. You are living my life two weeks in advance! I’m headed to New Orleans on Thursday and to Everglades for work two weeks from today. I’m glad you decided to be bad-ass and bike the park. It is one of my favorite places. And don’t worry about the gators, it’s the pythons that scare me! I love Robert is Here. Do they still have the tortoises and the goats in the back? Those shakes are great but they give me such a sugar high!

40 Meghann April 19, 2010 at 8:52 am

You wouldn’t happen to be going to San Fran two weeks after the everglades because that would just be too funny!

I didn’t see any tortoises or goats, we didn’t even wander to the back. No i’m sad about that.

The shakes are AWESOME!! We were STARVING after our bike ride and they made the perfect post-ride treat :)

41 Anne P April 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

So fun :) I want that smoothie! And basically that entire cute fruit store!

42 Karissa @ CarioFoodie April 19, 2010 at 8:55 am

My dog is the same way in the car. I am pretty sure he just scoffs at me when I tell him to stay in the back seat.

43 Kelly April 19, 2010 at 8:56 am

I think I heard Rihanna’s latest song 15 times this weekend. I now officially cannot stand it. Also, I would be terrified of falling off my bike right as I was passing one of said alligators.

44 LindsayH April 19, 2010 at 9:51 am

my dog is the same way in the car!…except she weighs 75 pounds!

45 Gina April 19, 2010 at 11:37 am

Just had to say that I love Robert is Here! We go there whenever we’re in the area, unfortunately Robert wasn’t there the last time we were there because they were closed for a wedding. We drove about an hour out of our way for it too. Can’t wait to go back!

46 paula April 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I never heard of mamey, either! Weird. Anyway, how about a car crate for Maddie? She’s small enough that you should be able to fit a little crate in your backseat. Not only will that keep her from hopping around, but in an accident (heaven forbid!), she will be 1000% safer in a crate, than flying around the car. My dogs always ride in crates. Just something to consider.