Meghann the Fish

by Meghann on April 16, 2010

I hit the pool this morning and I hit it hard. πŸ™‚

I arrived at the gym just as they were opening to ensure an open lane in the pool. Turns out the pool isn’t as popular in the morning as in the afternoon, I had the pool to myself for a good 30 or 45 minutes! I gave myself 1 hour and crafted this nifty swim work out in my head.

• 250m Freestyle
  • 250m w/ Kickboard
  • 250m w/ Pull Buoy
  • 250m Breast Stroke
  • 250m Alternating Breast & Freestyle
  • 250m Freestyle

I was slow, but I did it! I’m sure I had the widest, goofy grin on my face as I headed to the shower. :)  I was also exhausted! Swimming takes a lot out of me!

An early morning at the pool meant my breakfast was consumed at my desk this morning. On mornings like these I ALWAYS prepare my breakfasts the night before, so that all I have to do is grab my lunch box in the morning.

IMG_4765

Last night I made a simple batch of overnight oats with

• 1/2 cup Oats
  • Dried Cherries
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter

IMG_4770

I added some strawberries and granola once I was at my desk.

IMG_4775

IMG_4778

Very yummy. πŸ™‚

Last night I watched this great special on Saturday Night Live in the 2000s. My favorite parts were from the beginning of the 2000s when I would occasionally watch it on Saturday nights. It feels like yesterday Will Farrell and Jimmy Fallon were regulars on the show. I can’t believe some of those skits were almost 10 years old!

I think my favorite SNL skit actually involved Lindasy Lohan and her portrayal of an ahem mature Hermione Granger.

What’s yours?

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 16, 2010 at 9:10 am

Wow that’s a heck of a swim workout!! I’m always amazed how much more swimming takes out of me than running– they’re so different!

2 britchickruns April 16, 2010 at 9:13 am

I’ve never seen SNL :'( I’ve heard amazing things about the Sarah Palin/Tina Fey thing though!
Congrats on the swim πŸ˜€ I LOVE the pool…!

3 Diana April 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

I looove swimming. It really is tiring! πŸ™‚
I only watch some SNL skits every now and then on the internet but the show doesn’t air here. That was funny. πŸ˜›

4 megan April 16, 2010 at 9:30 am

i LOVE harry potter! not usually a huge fan of that type of humor, but I did enjoy all the harry potter references πŸ™‚

5 theprocessofhealing April 16, 2010 at 10:13 am

Agreed. I’m a Harry Potter nut!!!!

6 Morgan April 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

I loved that Lindsay Lohan sketch but I think my favorite from this decade were the Barry Gibbs talk show. Those were fantastic. I still love SNL, even though it isn’t so great anymore!
Great swim this morning. It’s really an amazing workout. Just be careful with the pull buoy that you are using it right. I’ve seen a lot of recreational swimmers over rotate with it, or just use it a little “off” and you could hurt your shoulder.

7 Nicole April 16, 2010 at 9:34 am

I love anything with Jimmy Fallon and Horatio Sanz (who is looking hot after weight loss), those two cannot help but laugh when in a skit together. Also forgot how much I loved the Grease sketch with Jimmy and Tina, and how excited Kenan Thompson got at the end.

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 16, 2010 at 9:39 am

I find swimming really tiring as well. I think it’s because I have a poor breathing technique

9 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 16, 2010 at 9:45 am

One of my gym’s locations has a pool, but it’s a bit of a drive for me. I could probably make it 2 or 3 times a week in the evenings. I don’t know anything about proper form, though, and I tend to get some shoulder pain. How did you learn proper form?

10 Meghann April 16, 2010 at 9:46 am

I actually took a swimming class in college. I learned a lot from the class, but that was years ago now. Who knows if I still have proper form. πŸ™‚

11 katiek April 16, 2010 at 9:54 am

As a former collegiate swimmer I can attest that swimming makes you tired and super hungry! I don’t swim too much anymore but whenever i do I’m always sore all over the next day…great total body workout:) Have a great Friday

12 Kelly April 16, 2010 at 9:58 am

Wow that’s an intense swim workout. I really need to figure out how big the pool at my gym actually is so I know what distance I am really swimming.

13 Anna April 16, 2010 at 10:21 am

That sounds like an awesome pool workout!!!

My sister and I were reminiscing the other day about some old school Chris Farley skits– the Chippendales dancer one with Patrick Swayze is a classic! I also love Will Ferrel’s Janet Reno skits. Hilarious.

14 Sara April 16, 2010 at 10:32 am

I watched that last night, too! Dick in a Box will always be funny! And I love anything with Tina Fey. I heart her.

15 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep April 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

Sounds like a GREAT workout! I’m really sad I missed the SNL special. I think my favorite is the Beyonce “Single Ladies” skit with Justin Timberlake. “Dance biscuits!”

16 NYCRunnerGirl April 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

That special is in my dvr for this weekend! Dick in a Box will always be one of my favorites. πŸ™‚

17 emily April 16, 2010 at 10:50 am

This was 1990’s but my favorite will always be “Canteen Boy” with Adam Sandler and Alleck Baldwin!

18 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 16, 2010 at 11:00 am

This post makes me want to swim!!!

19 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 16, 2010 at 11:07 am

I watched that too! I love the celebrity jeopardy skits πŸ™‚

20 Christina April 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

Haha loved that clip!

I really want to start doing swimming when it gets warmer. It sounds like you got such a great workout in! I need to figure out how big my pool is first so I know how far I’m going!

21 missyrayn April 16, 2010 at 11:41 am

I love any skit the Justin Timberlake did. I especially got a kickout of the ones he did at Christmas for The Salvation Army dressed as a soup can πŸ™‚

22 Evan Thomas April 16, 2010 at 11:46 am

my favorite SNL skit of all time is the Will Ferrell patriotic thong one. My favorite character of all time has to be Debbie Downer

23 hundredtenpounds April 16, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Good job swimming! I love swimming and no matter how much I do it, and how good I get at it, I am ALWAYS tired after swimming! And famished.

24 Katherine: What About Summer? April 16, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Do you ever go straight from swimming to somewhere else?
I can’t do anything after for like 3 hours because I get THE WORST goggle and cap marks on my face!
Katherine

25 Lisa April 16, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Yummy breakfast! I’m training for my first marathon right now but your swimming reminds me how I need to get back into the pool because all this running is hard on the body!

I played water polo throughout high school and college and coached swim team, so let me know if you ever need any good swim workouts! 500m is kind of a long/boring time to just swim straight, so it’s nice (and much more beneficial for training to swim, especially if the race is only .75k) to break those up using intervals.

26 Tay April 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

What!!! That is not slow AT ALL! I consider myself a pretty decent swimmer and I usually only go 2000 yards in 40 minutes. And you did 3000 in 30-45?! Wow!! Good job πŸ™‚

27 Erin April 16, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Wow, remember when Lindsay Lohan actually had some talent and wasn’t just a crazy druggie? Seems so long ago… πŸ˜‰

28 Matt April 16, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Great workout! You would kick my booty in the pool!

29 midgetkeeper April 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I really wish I could swim, well I can, but not well.

My favorite SNL skit is the Cowbell with Will Ferrel, so funny.

30 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 16, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I love the Chris Farley ones. I have the Best of Chris Farley SNL video and Lunch Lady Land is my favorite. My kids can all sing the song.

31 Sarah April 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Meghann–I blogged the same thing last night–except Tina Fey is definitely my favorite as Sarah Palin!! SNL is such a great way to look back on the changes socially and politically over the last 10 years.

32 Lacey @ Lake Life April 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm

My favorite SNL skits include: Mary Catherine Gallagher, the Spartan Cheerleaders and Jeopardy. There was also a skit when Ellen was hosting about a family freaking out in the car because they thought they left electronics on in their house and that was HILARIOUS.

But Stuart on MadTV beats out any SNL skit by FAR!! πŸ™‚

33 Kath April 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! That’s HILARIOUS!!

34 pinkflipflops April 17, 2010 at 11:04 am

We watched that as well! We love SNL and while watching that we realized how little of SNL we watched while we were in college!

35 Anne P April 17, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Lol! Just watched that skit and it’s pretty much amazing.