This is a Healthy Living Blog?

by Meghann on April 15, 2010

Because you would never guess from the lunch I had today!

IMG_4742

All in moderation, right? 😉

I had a meeting this morning that let out just before noon. When I returned to my desk there was a voicemail on my work phone from my Dad telling me to call him back right away. My parents NEVER call my work line, so when I heard the urgent e-mail I began to freak out a little.

I immediately called back and had visions of what could be wrong in my head.

Turns out nothing was wrong at all. My Dad just happened to be driving through my part of town for business and was wondering if I was free for lunch. In fact he was already downstairs waiting! 🙂

IMG_4719

A new BBQ place called 4Rivers had just opened down the street to RAVE reviews. All of my co-workers can not stop talking about it and every time I drive by there is a line that often spills into the street.

IMG_4756

I’ve been meaning to try it and knew my Dad would get a kick out of it, so I suggested we head there for lunch today. When we pulled up it occurred to me that I had not had BBQ food since right before the Crooms race last April! I used to eat BBQ food at least once a week in high school, but now a days my tummy can’t handle all the grease like it used to.

IMG_4759

The line was long as expected, but it seemed to move quickly. The assembly line behind the counter knew what they were doing and were able to move the crowd through swiftly and effectively.

IMG_4718

IMG_4725

IMG_4721

IMG_4724

There was nothing at all healthy about this menu. Everything seemed heavy and I’m pretty sure all of the side dishes had a meat element in it some how, but that’s the way good bbq is suppose to be, right?

IMG_4726

IMG_4729

IMG_4735

IMG_4736

IMG_4744

When I first walked through the door it wasn’t the line up of food that got my attention, oh no,  it was the line up of sweets!

IMG_4746

IMG_4747

Who knew a well known BBQ place had an indoor bakery with such delicious looking treats?

IMG_4748

I debated back and forth on what to order and in the end decided to go all out with an old favorite – the pulled pork sandwich.

IMG_4749

I asked for jalapenos and the spicy bbq sauce.

IMG_4752

The pork and spicy sauce were great, but the bun wasn’t anything special. I should have ordered the sandwich sans bun and asked for a biscuit or cornbread instead.

On the side I got the cornbread salad and green beans.

IMG_4751

The cornbread salad was good, but very heavy because of the dressing. I loved the green beans, but was jealous of the collard greens my Dad had ordered.

Speaking of my Dad…

IMG_4764

He ordered the burnt end sandwich which was made up of the end pieces of the pork and brisket. I thought the meat was really tasty, but my Dad declared it a little too greasy for his likings.

IMG_4754

Now, you know I couldn’t be trusted around all those cupcakes and not want to take one home for myself.

IMG_4758

My name is Meghann and I have a cupcake addiction. 😉

My Dad split the chocolate cupcake with peanut butter icing with me.

IMG_4762

I loved the peanut butter flavor of the icing. It was the perfect mid-work treat. 🙂

Now 4Rivers isn’t somewhere I would eat everyday, but it was a fun outing with my Dad and worth the splurge. If you are a BIG BBQ fan and are looking for some great southern BBQ in Orlando then I highly suggest you check 4Rivers out! Just be prepared for a long line, limited parking, and limited seating during the lunch rush and dinner crowds. 🙂

Before lunch I did have a semi-healthy snack of pretzel goldfish and dried fruit.

IMG_4717

Currently I am stuffed to the gils and remembering why I don’t eat BBQ everyday. It may tastes good going down, but boy does my belly not appreciate it after that! Hopefully, the bike ride I have planned after work will help with all the digestion. 🙂

1 Runeatrepeat April 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm

What the heck is cornbread salad and where can I get some?!?!?

2 sophia April 15, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Honestly, I think this SHOULD be a part of a healthy living blog…hello? When is healthy eating all about pure, organic, “clean” foods? Even a little grease and white refined carbs can be a good component of a healthy living diet, because healthy living is all about moderation, and enjoying your life and body. Obsessing about nutrition and healthy eating is definitely NOT.

So there. 🙂

3 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm

hahahah Love the “So there.” And I completely agree with your comment.

4 Meghann April 15, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Amen Sophia! I always knew I liked you! 🙂

I just thought it was funny when I was in line I was taking photos and someone was asking why I was taking photos, so I gave them my business card. The card says ‘health and fitness’ blogger so she got a good chuckle that I was eating at the BBQ place. But it really is all about moderation.

5 Kelly April 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Mmmm I can’t wait to fire up my grill tonight and bbq some chicken!

6 Liz April 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Umm that IS healthy living. You deserve a treat every now and then. You are always so healthy and anal about what you eat, so it is nice to see you cut loose every now and then. This post makes it sound like you think you are a fatty or something, which clearly you aren’t because you work out ALL the time!!

7 britchickruns April 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Bah, treats are good for the soul – it makes healthy living better! Plus, if you didn’t eat unhealthy food sometimes, the healthy food would lost its appeal…and hey, who refuses a cupcake that sounds THAT good!??

8 megan April 15, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I LOVE pulled pork! I love to make it at home in my crockpot too. so so good

9 Diana April 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

The desserts look soooo good. And well, eating not so healthy food every once in a while is awesome. 🙂

10 Rachel April 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Oh wow that cupcake looks delicious! I’m a big fan of “everything in moderation” 🙂

11 fitandfortysomething April 15, 2010 at 3:20 pm

oh how fun to meet your dad for lunch! and btw it seems like a worthy splurge! YUM 😉

12 jen trinque April 15, 2010 at 3:38 pm

LOL, looks like a fun time. I have to say that it’s definitely not my kind of place, but I’m glad you and your dad got to go and have fun, and I hope your tummy feels better soon. And yes, this IS a healthy living blog – you have a healthy attitude towards food and aren’t afraid of eating something unhealthy once in a while.

13 Mary April 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm

that looks SO good meghann! It makes me miss the BBQ place from home, even though I don’t eat meat anymore sometimes I crave juicy bbq 🙂

14 Anna April 15, 2010 at 4:24 pm

My eyes would have gone straight to the sweets as well, definitely!

15 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm

LOVE pulled pork. Looks like a yummy treat to me!!

16 allisonisactive April 15, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Girl, you’ve got to give up the health for BBQ once in a while! I did the same thing last night and definitely do NOT regret it. 🙂

17 Erin April 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I’ve been craving BBQ since LAST summer — it’s the one thing I really miss since I went veg. :/

18 hundredtenpounds April 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Looks like a popular place! YUMMY desserts 🙂

19 christina cadden April 15, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Sounds like you had fun!

20 Erin (Texan Couture) April 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm

It all looks delicious!
Here & there I crave BBQ, Rudy’s here in Austin has the best for the price at least and the atmosphere is pretty cool! I might need to make a trip there soon I haven’t had it since last summer over Labor Day!!

21 runnerforever April 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

All in moderation is right, hey, you only had half the cupcake and it looks like it would be totally worth it!

22 RhodeyGirl April 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I don’t know what is wrong with me but I don’t like cupcakes! I LOVE muffins but for some reason cupcakes just don’t have a place in my heart or belly haha!

Sounds like a fun afternoon with your dad!

23 Jenny April 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Good lord I want that red velvet cake!

24 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Oh… how I miss bbq! I don’t have a grill at my apartment! Boooo! And pulled pork is my FAV thing to get when at a bbq joint… I’m getting goosebumps just thinking about it… lol

25 adrienmelaine April 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm

you are your dad’s favorite, correct?!

26 Kellie@obsessivelyhealthy April 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Those sweets look so good. I am so glad the weekend is coming. That is when I let myself have treats and I am definately thinking a cupcake is in order.

27 bakebikeblog April 15, 2010 at 6:01 pm

wow look at all those desserts! CRAZY!

28 Matt April 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Sounds like fun with dad 🙂

29 Courtney April 15, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I live in Maryland, but I was visiting friends down in Orlando in March and we ate at 4Rivers! Oh my goodness – it is amazing! I had the 6 Shooter – one of their horribly unhealthy combinations (grits, pork, coleslaw, jalapenos) that is stacked very high. So good though! 🙂

30 midgetkeeper April 15, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Love pulled pork sandwiches and quality time with Dad as well!

31 Kat April 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I totally agree, everything in moderation! But I can also relate to that not so great feeling in the tummy after eating something thats a little extra greasy.

32 D April 15, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I used to love BBQ before i went vegetarian! I just tried the Gardein BBQ and it was NOT even close.

I don’t even think you should have to justify this as a “splurge”! It was “lunch”, plain and simple. I think it’s interesting how many people cheer on bloggers who have so called unhealthy meals. I don’t think you should only have to eat healthy meals because youre a health blogger, but i find it amusing that people sort of criticise health bloggers who “never” splurge. not splurging is not a crime, just as eating some bbq is totally fine!

33 thewhatkateateblog April 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Sometimes you just gotta indulge! I love bbq!

34 Katherine: What About Summer? April 15, 2010 at 7:57 pm

How often do you and your co-workers eat out/eat together?

35 Jenna April 15, 2010 at 8:34 pm

wow! looks great!
your going for another bike ride?!

36 runningwithsass April 15, 2010 at 8:37 pm

yum! its great sometimes to just splurge on an entire meal!

37 Rachel April 15, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Everything in moderation! That is a great motto and way to live. Your lunch looks delish. I love pulled pork bbq, but only have it like once or twice a year. Glad you were able to enjoy a lunch out with your dad. What a neat surprise 🙂 I think your flexibility with food is a prime example of healthy living.

38 missyrayn April 15, 2010 at 8:41 pm

It’s a treat every now and again and you remember why you don’t eat it all the time. That’s when you know you have made a lifestyle change.

39 Courtney Can Eat April 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Do they have these in Texas?!

40 Melody April 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

A BBQ sandwhich is not a ‘splurge’ or an ‘unhealthy meal’. Pork, bbq sause, bun…what is wrong with any of those? A pork bbq sandwhich has 250-300 cals max and is a great souce of protein and minimal saturated fat. Sounds like a well balanced meal to me!

41 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 16, 2010 at 5:57 am

Dude. That looks delicious. I cannot remember the last time I had BBQ, must seek it out next time I am in America. And it is funny how the concept of “splurging” on these healthy living blogs gets such a variety of reactions… from “OMG I can´t believe SHE ate THAT” to “OMG this girl lives on lettuce and why won´t she eat a REAL MEAL for once,” etc. Man, is food polarizing! But as it has already been said here, everything in moderation, the 80/20 rule, etc… because if there´s one thing I know for sure, I don´t want to be on my deathbed wishing I had just eaten the darn cupcakes. 🙂

42 Caroline April 16, 2010 at 7:46 am

Wow, your lunch looks amazing! Definitely something to eat just once in a blue moon, but a good pulled pork sandwich is probably the only thing that can tempt me from an otherwise vegetarian diet these days!

43 dianacheung April 16, 2010 at 12:50 pm

you and caitlin look just like your dads! It’s crazyyyy and cute!

44 Monica C. April 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm

That burnt ends sandwich sounds GOOD!!! Talk about Nom Nom! 🙂

45 WellTuned April 25, 2010 at 10:07 pm

There`s really nothing more yummy than a BBQ! Now that winter is over here in my neck of the woods, we`re excited to be able to pull the BBQs out again and do some grilling.

I agree that life is about moderation, but I do find it interesting that when I do `splurge` – especially if it`s in the sugar department, I usually just feel crappy and wonder why I ate it. I tell my 4 year-old that the only part of our bodies that really like sugar is our mouths. Why does it taste so good?

46 justhealthshop February 22, 2011 at 8:06 am

You reminded me of my BBQ. Can’t wait to have it.. Really you got tempting photos on your blog..
justhealthshop recently posted..Walking!!! Does it contribute in our fitness

47 Steph Mario June 8, 2012 at 1:53 am

I also have an occasional cheat day or two for mouth-watering burgers. Exercise follows shortly after though, just to rid myself of that strange guilty feeling.
Steph Mario recently posted..Better Doctor-Patient Communication: A Way to Better Health