The Next Big Thing

by Meghann on April 15, 2010

Let me introduce you to my next big adventure.

6thOrlandoTriathlonLARGE

On May 23rd I will be competing in my second sprint triathlon! πŸ™‚

This is something that has been in my thought for months, but with my two marathons and ultra marathons behind me for the first part of the year I finally feel ready to dedicate my time to training for it.

I competed in my first triathlon in March of 2009 (Recap here) with very little thought put in to my training (Bad Meghann!) so I am very excited to actually train for it this time around and see the improvement!

The Baldwin Park Triathlon is a sprint triathlon, which means the distances are shorter than the traditional olympic version.

The sprint consists of:

• 0.75 km Swim
  • 13.4 miles Bike
  • 2.6 miles Run

All of which seems very doable to me. Well all except for the swim, but I’m working on that!

I am slowly piecing together my training schedule and so far it doesn’t look pretty. Because of my time constraints in the morning and my new focus on strength training it looks like there will be quite a few two-a-days in my future.

I’m still tweaking my training schedule and should have it ready for my lunch post.

My first two-a-day is actually today in my training. I started off the morning with a 3 mile run and ended it with 6×100 strides. The strides felt good to my legs this morning!

This afternoon I will meet my sister for a bike ride. I haven’t been on my bike in MONTHS so I’m not looking to push myself too hard on the bike. I just want to get my bearings back on the bike.

IMG_4713

After my run short run this morning I was ready for a great bowl of cereal. πŸ™‚

IMG_4703

That hit the spot.

IMG_4702

First thing on the agenda today? Make a dentist appointment!

Thanks for all of your recommendations in using Yelp as a way to review local dentists. I’ve never thought of that before and thought it was a brillant idea to make sure I end up with a nice one! πŸ™‚

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

Cool new adventure!! You’ll be smooth sailing on that bike in no time. And the 2.6 mile run will be like a stroll in the park for you πŸ™‚

2 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete April 15, 2010 at 9:11 am

Swimming is by far, the most difficult sport for me. I put it off sometimes, but I know that I need to swim the most out of all three since it is my worst sport! Have fun on your bike ride!

3 britchickruns April 15, 2010 at 9:15 am

Yay! I love new challenges! No doubt you’ll kick but at this, like you have every other challenge you’ve set yourself…good luck!!

4 megan April 15, 2010 at 9:15 am

i don’t like the dentist at all! good for you for making an appointment. you’ll be glad after you’re done πŸ™‚

5 dianacheung April 15, 2010 at 9:19 am

i just ate a too huge breakfast so the thought of a triathalon is making me semi nauseous! I’m happy for you though girl!! ROCK.IT.OUT.

6 snowflakesandsunshine.wordpress.com April 15, 2010 at 9:26 am

Exciting stuff! Can’t wait to follow all your training.

7 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 15, 2010 at 9:28 am

A lot of people seem to be intimidated by the swim. I would probably be intimidated by the biking. I’m not very good on a bike.

8 Tami April 15, 2010 at 9:28 am

good luck with the dentist. tell them that you don’t like going, etc, etc and that will help them help you. i didn’t go for a long time, like years and years but I went back to a very sweet office, warm blankets out of the drier, warm bread when you leave…i have moved on to another dentist now but our dental insurance is great and we can go every 3 months now-i am hoping this will help my children not have the same fears we do….(I was locked in a “crying” room by my childhood dentist!)

i jumped on the triathlon train as well, i have a few scheduled for this year and I can’t wait

9 Jenny April 15, 2010 at 9:29 am

That’s a great challenge! I’m sure you’ll do a great job swimming!

10 Kelly April 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

That will be a fun and different training for you, then just a marathon! I just recently started swimming and am amazed at the muscles I am working.

11 fitandfortysomething April 15, 2010 at 9:32 am

oh what fun and yes very doable distances!

12 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

How exciting! I’d love to try a triathalon like that…..

13 Erin April 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

Wow, very exciting! Definitely a challenge to look forward to.

14 Liz @ lizrunsdc April 15, 2010 at 9:47 am

I’m doing my first sprint triathlon at the end of June! I needed extra time to get ready because I can’t run for about another month because of my injury. Looking forward to reading about your training! πŸ™‚

15 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

I am SERIOUSLY considering doing a tri in the next couple of years, but I need to find a place to swim (and someone to teach me proper technique) and a bike. That’s why it’s a long term goal. πŸ™‚

16 Mary April 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

Good luck with your tri!! after I get CMM 1/2 marathon out of the way in a week or so I’m going to focus on one too with my bf! πŸ™‚ I know you’ll rock

17 gavrielski April 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’m doing my first sprint tri in the fall and I can’t wait! I’m so excited to see your training plan. Good luck!

18 theprocessofhealing April 15, 2010 at 10:40 am

Congrats girl, sounds like fun!!! The swimming would definitely be the hardest part for me too!

19 sweetandsweat April 15, 2010 at 10:52 am

Good luck on training! Dentists can be scary but it always works out for the best πŸ™‚

20 Laura Georgina April 15, 2010 at 11:13 am

Yay! Good luck on the training–I’m sure it will be a lot of fun.

I’m not training for a tri at the moment, but I’m working on getting used to two-a-days so that I can find one and train soon, and I find that the swimming actually helps with my running. It loosens up muscles so I can run more and have less aches and pains–in fact, the days that I run without having swam the previous day are the hardest runs of all!

21 healthy ashley April 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

How fun! I think this is a great new adventure πŸ™‚

22 Lisa April 15, 2010 at 11:32 am

That triathlon sounds totally doable! And fun!

23 Liz April 15, 2010 at 11:56 am

It really seems to me like you are over-doing it. Don’t you think your body deserves a break? Two workouts today and two yesterday? Think about it…

24 Meghann April 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Not at all. Yesterday’s work out was a healthy dose of strength training and cardio. And today would be what I would consider a light run – I hardly broke a sweat during my 3 miles – and a casual bike ride. Neither of which are too intense. If I had time to do both the run and the bike ride in the morning then I would have, but for right now that isn’t an option. besides I don’t mind having it split up in the day.

25 Hillary April 15, 2010 at 11:58 am

The tri distance sounds perfect – just enough for a little challenge. Is race-crazy Caitlin going to join you? : )

26 Meghann April 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Sadly Caitlin will be on the road, so she won’t be able to compete in the tri πŸ™

27 Matt April 15, 2010 at 11:59 am

Good luck with training! Sounds like a great race!

28 lisarphoto423 April 15, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That seems like an amazing race!! Good luck on it! Can’t wait to see the recap!

And I am so with you on the dentist issues. It’s been close to 2 years for me too but made the call yesterday..YIKES! They scare me too πŸ™ I would see them before it gets worse though! GOOD LUCK!

29 courtdee April 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I’m thinking about training for one in July, too! I was wondering what kind of bike you ride, and where you got it? I’m struggling to find one for a decent price!

30 chemekimmi April 15, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Last hotel I stayed in charged a flat $29.99 fee for use of the fitness center. Absurd – but it wasn’t clearly labeled ( i found out when I called it is very well hidden on the site). I wish I had known, but honestly, I still would have paid it because I was kind of trapped. It’s like how Spirit Airlines is charging for checked and carry on baggage – you gotta do what you gotta do.

I’m also scared of the dentist. One thing to check into is sedation dentistry. Maybe it’s because I’m a super baby at the dentist, but I’ve been looking into this and have decided that the extra charge is worth it. I haven’t been to the dentist in a year or two because of my fear and I will just try this and see if it helps. Good luck!

31 runningwithsass April 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm

that sounds awesome good luck in your training!

32 Diana April 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm

That’s awesome. I’m sure you’ll do a great job! πŸ™‚
Good luck with the training!

33 RhodeyGirl April 15, 2010 at 2:23 pm

You’re insane and I love it! TRI?!?!?!? WOOHOOOOO!

34 midgetkeeper April 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Good luck!!! I am sure you’ll do great.

35 missyrayn April 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Congrats on the new adventure. Sounds like you have a better plan going into this one πŸ™‚

36 Rachel April 15, 2010 at 8:47 pm

You are going to rock that triathalon! Can’t wait to follow along as you train and compete. It is funny ’cause I am a swimmer and not a runner. Maybe we need to form a triathalon team and compete as a big blogging relay!