Locker Room Buddies

by Meghann on April 14, 2010

Over the last couple of months I seemed to have joined a group that I like to refer to as the ‘Locker Room Buddies.’

The Locker Room Buddies is a group of ladies that seem to be on the same schedule in the gym. We all arrive at the gym around the same time (between 5:30 & 5:45) and all head to the showers around the same time (about 7:30) before getting dressed and heading out (I leave just before 8:00).

Most of the other ladies are a good 10-20 years my senior, but I’ve really enjoyed chatting with them in the locker room over the past few months. part of the fun in joining a gym is getting to know the people, right? It’s really the welcoming atmosphere this group creates that makes it so much more relaxing to get ready for the day at the gym.

Do you have any locker room buddies at your gym?

Most of the ladies and I began our morning with the Back2Back which consists of 1 hour of Body Power Class and 1 hour of Cycling. Both classes had a new release this week, so it was nice to have a change in the work outs. However, I didn’t find the new releases as challenging as the old ones. 🙁

As the first class started at 5:35 this morning, I made sure to pack my breakfast the night before. That way I could grab it from the fridge on my way out the door and immediately dig in when I got to work this morning.

IMG_4622

I must have been hungry as I was packing my breakfast last night, because I had a feast waiting for me this morning.

IMG_4626

IMG_4629

Two slices of pumpkin nut bread were packed separately from the containers of Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Sunflower Butter and Crofter’s Superfruit Spread to prevent sogginess.

IMG_4630

IMG_4632

When I got to work I heated up the bread and then slathered it with either of the spreads.

IMG_4634

On the side I had a chobani and an apple.

IMG_4639

I found what was left of a bag of granola in my desk and used that as a topping for the yogurt.

IMG_4644

This was a very filling and perfect post-Back2Back breakfast!!

IMG_4636

My first meeting of the day awaits!

Happy Hump Day!

1 Jocelyn April 14, 2010 at 9:11 am

I don’t attend a gym..but it would be fun to socialize a bit and get to know the other gym members 🙂 Looks like a yummy bfast!!

2 Evan Thomas April 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love making gym friends! I’ve made friends with 3 of the people in my college’s residential life department, including the dean. It’s nice knowing people in high places 😉

3 Eliza April 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

try hummus, salsa and some hot sauce..it is to die for! or just hummus and hot sauce is good too! try it! 🙂

4 britchickruns April 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

I don’t go to a gym 🙁 but locker room buddies would be great! You’d always have something to talk about 😀
Great breakfast!

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

I try not to socialize at the gym. I’m all business.

6 megan April 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

my gym isn’t overly social for some reason. people smile, but generally keep to themselves.

7 fitandfortysomething April 14, 2010 at 9:21 am

how fun to meet people! i enjoy meeting people where ever i go. what a lovely feast for breakfast. did you say you do 2 one hour classes in the morning? wow that is great!

8 Beth April 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

There’s a few people I continually run into in my apartment gym and we say Hi to each other when we see each other outside of the gym, but no buddy-buddies. Good looking breakfast spread!

9 Erin April 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

What a delicious spread! I keep really varied gym hours so don’t see many familiar people but that would definitely be a good place to meet people with similar interests and make new friends.

10 Margaret April 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

I got ready next to a girl every single day when I lived too far from the gym to go home to get ready before work. My gym is really not very social (too bad since there are a ton of hot men…), but one day I decided to introduce myself — how much longer could we go on putting on eyeliner beside one another without knowing each others’ names?! Turns out she and I went to the same middle school and high school (though she was a year below me), and believe or not, she’s become my roommate and very good friend! All because of the gym 🙂

11 Liz April 14, 2010 at 9:24 am

My gym is the most awkward gym ever! My husband is in law school at an ivy leauge institution and so we get to go to the gym for free. Everyone there seems reall nice, but no one talks to each other! Most people are soo quiet and reserved. I have been reading the Twilight series as I work out (for the second time) and I get really weird stares from people as thy read their philosophy or greek mythology or organic chemistry. Now, I’m all for educating your mind, but when I work out I need something to make the time seem shorter, not longer! Oh, and the girls in the locker room walk around completely nude all the time! Put on makeup, dry their hair, talk on the phone…nude…is this normal? My other gym people at laest put underwear on. Maybe I’m just a prude?

12 Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 14, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’m not a terribly social person and I can’t do small talk so I don’t tend to make friends with random strangers. I usually keep to myself.

13 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 14, 2010 at 9:30 am

We have a pretty regular crew at the 6am kettlebell class I go to. I like it as there is good group of female runners in it, most are a little older than me but we all push each other as we are all pretty strong and have good endurance. I made sure to go this morning since I’m laying off the strength training till after the Boston Marathon on Monday. After all the pullups & lunges I did this morning I think my body will thank me!

14 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 14, 2010 at 9:33 am

What a great way to start your day!!

15 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

No one at my gym is that friendly, I wish they were though!

16 Jenny April 14, 2010 at 9:38 am

I donthave locker buddies, but I do have gym buddies!

17 Kelly April 14, 2010 at 9:39 am

Honestly, I hate talking to people at the gym. I like to get in, work out, and get out. I try to avoid conversations. Maybe I’m anti social but I feel like it prolongs everything.

18 Gwen April 14, 2010 at 9:42 am

OMG Back2Back sounds INTENSE! I really need to get my tush up earlier so I can do cardio and strength!

19 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

I started chit chatting away with a girl in the workout room at my complex because we seemed to spend the same obnoxious amount of time in there… now we’re really good friends!

20 Sana April 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

I won’t lie, I am a gym snob and I am BFF’s with all the ladies that I take group fitness classes with! It’s fun to have people to talk to in the locker room!

21 lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 14, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’ve learned with Group Power releases that a new release may not SEEM as difficult at first, but that really it’s the same difficulty as all the others. You just have to get used to the release and determine where you want to change your weight. Once you do the release a few times and you learn where you need to tweak, it will seem more difficult.

22 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie April 14, 2010 at 9:49 am

Breakfast looks delicious. I used to have gym buddies when I went to my gym in Memphis but wasn’t at the YMCA in Louisville long enough to get to know people that were in a routine. Mainly because my timing was always different for when I went. Happy Hump Day!!

23 Can You Stay for Dinner April 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

Love that breakfast. Pumpkin bread with almond butter and jam would be such a nice meal. I love meeting people at the gym. There’s such a cameraderie, especially when you are there early and everyone’s trying to muster up the motivation!

24 BethT April 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

Sadly, all the locker room buddies at my gym are very old, wrinkly women who are not afraid to bend over naked in front of mirrors. True story.

25 missyrayn April 14, 2010 at 10:07 am

Back in college I had locker room buddies. I would always see them before work. It was funny to be so much younger than them but I enjoyed the support of working out.

26 Brittany April 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

For some reason people don’t get buddy buddy at my gym. I’m also not consistent with my days or times so that might be the reason as well.

I did however have an old man try to hit on me yesterday while working out. He literally interrupted my workout 3 times while I was there – and I was only there for 1 hour. The bad part is that this guy is a gym rat and I see him every time I go. Now that we’ve spoke I’m sure he’ll try to talk to me every time he sees me. I’ve recruited Isaac to come with me next time I go to the gym – hopefully once he sees that I have a boyfriend he’ll stop with the interrupting. haha

27 thedailyoatmeal April 14, 2010 at 10:08 am

I don’t have locker room buddies per say (because I don’t have a locker!), but after moving to the Chicago suburbs, I will say that the gym has been a great source of friends. I live alone and work pretty independently, so sometimes that first people I will talk to all day are my gym buddies. It’s comforting to see them and hear about races they are doing or their training– they keep me motivated and smiling during tough workouts too!

28 elliebelle April 14, 2010 at 10:16 am

I’ve made a few friends through my Zumba class – but I don’t actually belong to the gym where I take the class…so I don’t use the locker rooms.
You are hardcore getting to the gym at 5:30! There is NO WAY I could even wake up by that time. haha.

29 Diana April 14, 2010 at 10:25 am

I have some people I recognize (and vice versa) and we will say good day or whatever to each other but that’s about it. 🙂

30 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood April 14, 2010 at 10:39 am

I absolutely love my gym… I recently started working out again, because I was not previously healthy enough to engage in exercise, but now that I can… I have returned to classes. There is a group of us that all go to the classes instructed by 1 teacher and we know each other so well that we ask where the person was if they werent at the gym that night!! 🙂

31 Em April 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

Did you mis-type or do you really go to the gym for 2 hours in the morning?

32 Meghann April 14, 2010 at 11:11 am

Yes, it’s not something I do every day, but I love the Back2Back workouts. They are a great way to get in strength training as well as cardio.

33 Run Sarah April 14, 2010 at 11:09 am

I used to have swimming pool buddies when I did regular swims! Your breakfast looks SO good! 2 hours at the gym is intense!

34 Marina April 14, 2010 at 11:24 am

I don’t go to gym unfortunately, but I had so-called locker room buddies when I practiced karate. One of them actually became a really close friend :))
mhm, pumpkin bread.
I so miss pumpkin 🙁

35 Kellie April 14, 2010 at 11:41 am

I have lots of “gym friends”. I always talk about my friends from the gym, but when my husband asks me their names, I have no idea. It makes going to the gym fun and it holds me accountable because if I am not there one day they ask me where I have been.

36 Joanna April 14, 2010 at 11:50 am

I actually got my job in publishing through my locker-room buddies! A bunch of the ladies from my current company used the same gym in the morning and then went to work… while i went off to my miserable admin job. One day I sucked up my nerves and approached one of the ladies to inquire about publishing, mentioning my degree in English. Turns out she was a major higher-up, and (still is) quite possibly the nicest person ever. She’s been my mentor ever since, even now that I’ve transferred to a different city and she went to a new company. I ran into one of my old “buddies” in the Boston office while she was in town for a meeting recently. Oh, memories.

37 angela1508 April 14, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hi! I have lots of locker room buddies too… most of them are women that are in my spin class, so they’re all early birds like me! I think it’s funny how women just naturally start talking to other women in the changing room… I wonder if it’s the same for guys? Or if they just sort of do a get-in-and-get-out sort of deal? Maybe that’s why they’re always ready so fast lol! And like Kellie (above), when one of the locker room ladies isn’t around, there’s always a reason expected the next day!!

38 Anna April 14, 2010 at 11:56 am

I used to see the same people at my gym over and over again, and it became a nice part of my day! Even though we never talked, I liked being able to count on the same people being on the same machines, morning after morning 🙂

39 Lauren @ Running Examiner April 14, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I made locker room buddies at my gym, but now that some of those buddies have changed their gym schedule (I go in the morning before work), I don’t really have anyone to chat with. That’s okay, though. I don’t really view the gym as a part of my social life–truth be told, I don’t even like the gym…I just use it for spinning. I’d much rather run outside or go to the yoga studio. I’m a very solitary creature when it comes to working out!

40 Erin April 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I’ve never made friends at the gym but most of my running club belongs to the same gym as me so I see club members there all the time. We usually say “hi” or chat a little bit about our workout.

41 lowandbhold April 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I don’t have any buddies. I am always going to the gym at different times and can’t seem to get into a good routine. That’s cool though!

42 Mama Pea April 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Hopefully the locker room buddies like to put their clothes on before having animated conversations. 🙂

43 hundredtenpounds April 14, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I had buddies at the old pool I used to go to. We would chat waiting for the doors to open up and it was nice to talk to people with similar interests (swimming for fitness)!

44 Alison April 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

The only adult contact and conversation I have on a daily basis is with my gym/locker room buddies. I look forward to chatting with them each day.

45 theprocessofhealing April 14, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yum, your breakfast sounds incredibly delicious!!!!

46 runnerforever April 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I don’t have locker room buddies but I definitely know people that have a full community of friends at their gym and think it is awesome.

47 Matt April 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Gym friends are awesome! I work in and I actually know most of the people here. It is fun to get to know them through working out.

48 shelly April 14, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I change at work so that I can slide into the club and right into the class that I want. All I bring in is my keys and my entry card.

49 Isabel April 14, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Hi, I love reading your blog! I have a question, how do you keep your yogurt chilled while you are at the gym?

50 Meghann April 14, 2010 at 8:10 pm

I put a frozen chiller pack in the lunchbox with the yogurt.

51 maria April 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Hey Meghann. I was just wondering how your new ST program has been going. Update?

52 Ashley August 6, 2010 at 12:24 am

I read a couple of complaints about nudity in the locker room.

To be honest, I kind of like that casual attitude and atmosphere of the more “naked” locker rooms. I’m straight, and clearly don’t mean this in a sexual way. But I’ve never understood why some people are so uptight in locker rooms?

Were all females in there, no one has anything that the others don’t have.

I found it liberating the first time I used the group showers at my gym. And I don’t give it another thought ever since.

I like to see women be able to be comfortable in their own skin, and to not feel a need to hide from other women.

{ 1 trackback }