Extra Charges

by Meghann on April 14, 2010

My breakfast must have been the perfect mix of fiber, fats, carbs, and protein because it kept me full all morning. It’s very rare that I don’t need a mid-morning snack, so I will count that combo as a true winner in my book.

I guess you could also attribute the extra fullness due to the fact I ate my breakfast an hour later than normal. Hmmm…. I guess the world will never know. 😉

Lunch today was a simple platter plate of munchies.

IMG_4664

The veggie side of the plate consisted of yellow squash and carrots.

IMG_4661

The opposing end had pita slices and strawberries.

IMG_4653

IMG_4652

Right smack in the middle were nice globs of hummus and taboulli for dipping.

IMG_4663

I love the array of colors on my plate. I always associate a colorful meal as a nutrient rich meal.

IMG_4647

Hotel Charges…

In this economy it seems every company is out there to nickel and dime us. Airlines charge us for carry-ons, cell companies charge for text messages, and paying for internet seems to be expected in most locations. I’m not happy with any of these extra charges, but have slowly grown accustomed to them.

For the conference this weekend I had been warning my clients the additional charges for internet and parking at the hotel, but one that never occurred to me (and one I was shocked to discover) was the charge for the fitness center!

That’s right, my hotel charges each guest $10 for use of their fitness facilities! Is this a common thing? because it’s new to me.

The charge is automatically added to the account when the hotel guest uses their key to enter the fitness center. I guess there was a sign above the key entry, but I only vaguely remember it.

Luckily, the fitness center was included in the suite accommodations I had through the hotel – as well as a free continental breakfast I never visited – so I was not aware of the charge until my return when the expense reports began rolling in.

Charging $10 a day to use an on-property fitness center is a little crazy to me. I mean the center was nice, but it wasn’t that nice. And I feel bad because the added charge would only discourage people from working out while traveling. Not cool hotel not cool!

What are your thoughts on hotels charging for use of the fitness center?

1 Evan Thomas April 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I think they have a right if it’s clearly not included in the hotel fee. You pay for a hotel for a place to sleep; that’s been its primary use for years and years and years. Similarly, you pay for a gym to work out there. I can’t really find fault with the hotel charging to workout so much as if the gym charged you to sleep there.

2 britchickruns April 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm

If hotels make it clear very explicitly that it isn’t part of the overall cost then fair enough. But in general, I think they shouldn’t charge – you’re paying to use the hotel as a whole, not just bits of it….
Love that lunch – those strawberries are PERFECT looking!

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I love snack plates as meals! It sure keeps it interesting. I think charges are somewhat ridiculous and discourage people from working out!! It should just be an amenity that is built in to the hotel experience as a whole.

4 Chloe April 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I also am a bit shocked by that, $10 seems a bit much, especially if you are already paying the hotel to stay there. The hotels I’ve stayed at have all had free gyms, but I guess I’ll have to be on the lookout now for extra charges! That’s another good reason to bring my ipod with me everywhere – it has my workout mix (perfect for running) as well as all my Yoga Download podcasts.

Love the colorful lunch!

5 kirsten April 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Wow, I thought the fitness centers were always free in hotels! I had no idea that any charged for it. I will pay closer attention now.

6 Anna April 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I think that’s kind of low– and sneaky! It’s like the airlines…everything is getting SO expensive, and they’re figuring out ways to charge you for every teensy little detail, so while it’s maybe not unethical, it definitely takes a lot of the pleasure out of traveling.

7 megan April 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

well, it’s technically fair…the hotel can charge for whatever they want I suppose. But I think it’s kind of dumb. That would discourage me from staying at that hotel in the future! I’ve never heard of a hotel doing that before…it seems a little ridiculous!

8 Diana April 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

That’s crazy! I had no idea. I always thought they were free.

9 Jenny April 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I hate that! The price should include all use of the facilities- what’s next, a water usage fee?

10 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I kind of hate it to be honest 🙂 I’ve had this happen to me before, and it just makes the hotel seem SO cheap, I think if they want to keep customers it isn’t the best idea.

11 hundredtenpounds April 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I think it’s super annoying that hotels charge. I don’t think they should. So to remedy that, I go for a run outside!

The last time I went to Vegas, I used the spa for a massage so that got me into their gym for “free” that day. I used the gym and the next day instead of paying more I just went for a run outside. It was a cool experience too!

12 Paige April 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have never seen a hotel charge for an on-site facility. That would really tick me off! I could understand if there’s a fitness center nearby (and the hotel doesn’t have one of their own)….and in all of those cases, the hotel always makes you aware of the fee that will be charged. But an on-site fitness center charge? That’s just wrong!

13 andrea @ a cake for a wife. April 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I don’t know, I’d prefer to pay extra for the gym than automatically have that fee worked into the overall cost of the room. In other words, I’d prefer to save a little $$ on the room price, and just go run outside! 🙂

When I went to Vegas last summer, the fitness centre was an additional $25 A DAY!!! Needless to say I burned my calories by swimming (free!) laps in the pool.

14 Madeline - Greens and Jeans April 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I think that it’s kind of sneaky unless it says very clearly that they are charging you for the gym. I have stayed at places where you have to pay to get a separate gym key, so at least they were upfront with the charges!

15 Katie April 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I am an event planner too and I have seen up to a $25 charge for the fitness center per day. Ridiculous. And the $6 cans of soda during the meeting are pretty horrible too! And $120 for a gallon of coffee.

16 Jessica @ Domesticated-Bliss April 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I’ve never come across a charge for a hotel gym! If they list it as an amenity it should be included in your room fee. Going on that logic, would they charge you to use the swimming pool or jacuzzi?

However, Nola hotels will charge for just about anything – parking is at least $30 a day at most hotels…

17 missyrayn April 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I don’t like that. I travel a lot for work and working out while traveling is big for me. I would get very annoyed especially at $10 a day. I will be paying more attention to that now.

18 Gwen April 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

The hotel my company is using in Dallas for our annual conference charges $23/day for the gym! WORSE – our company argues with us about covering the charges for employees on travel. I agree that the cost definitely deters people from working out on travel. I’d honestly rather just have the room rate be a little higher 🙂

19 Sarah for Real April 14, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I think if they are going to charge for it, then it should be more clear. Maybe your room key shouldn’t work to get you in the door unless you call the front desk and authorize the charge. Gah…

On my recent vacation to California, I got sick and tired of not only the hotel’s nickle-and-dime philosophy ($3.50 for bottled water!), but the state taxes as well. It was upwards of $20 per night extra! There were at least 3 different “tourism” tax lines on each bill we got, hotels, restaurants, rental car and attractions.

It really adds up!

20 mishmashcat April 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm

When I was in Vegas in February, I looked at the amenities list and I thought there was a charge for the fitness center, but when I called the front desk they said there wasn’t one! And it was one of the nicest in-hotel gyms I’ve used. But I do understand the extra fee, just from a biz standpoint because it does create extra work (cleaning) that they don’t have to provide for everyone. I wonder what percentage of people actually use them? I was in a large Vegas hotel and was literally alone for a 1.5 hour workout!

21 thebakingbride April 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm

My husband and I are traveling to Las Vegas for vacation this summer and I was annoyed to find that the Luxor (our hotel) would charge $10 a day for the fitness center. I guess they think if they link it with the spa they should charge that much??? I think there is a package for the whole stay but it is really frustrating to know that you pay a lot of money to stay somewhere and they are tacking on an extra charge.

22 Katie April 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Ridiculous in my opinion! I stayed at the MGM Grand for a conference in Vegas and was stunned to learn the fitness center was $30 (!!!!) per day! I refused to charge that back to my company, so I didn’t work out the whole time – thus illustrating your point that it discourages people from exercising. So frustrating!

23 LindsayH April 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm

while i agree that it’s technically “fair” as long as the fee is very explicitly stated, i don’t think it’s very good service and hotels are first and foremost a service industry. anyone can go anywhere just for a clean bed to sleep on. what makes certain hotels stand out above the rest are services and amenities. when you charge for things like the fitness center, i think it definitely detracts from both of those key areas. in the long-run i think it will be harmful to their business.

24 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm

That seems a little crazy to me. Internet charges are pretty common, but for the gym?! $10 for a day is a little steep regardless- maybe for a few days, but yikes!!

25 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm

It is annoying and a rip off… but I can see why they might do it. Still I hate it. I always argue with my company about having them pay for it when I travel….. I pay for my fitness facility at home, if they are going to have me travel away from home and my fitness facility they should pay for it. Its as important as eating to me and they pay for my food!

26 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Most hotels charge for fitness centre use. Especially ones that have a more extensive fitness centre than just a room with a couple of treadmills.

27 Carolyn @ lovinlosing April 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

That’s the kind of thing that would make me book a different hotel.

28 Kierstan April 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I think internet and fitness center usage should be included in the cost! I was just at a staff meeting the other week and decide to forgo a weight workout since there was a $10 charge. Glad it was nice out as I was able to get in a nice run outside.

29 Kelly April 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I feel like that would be charging to use the pool. When you stay at a hotel you pay for the amenities also.

30 theprocessofhealing April 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I can kind of see charging extra but not THAT much! I’d say just a couple dollars..

31 Lin April 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Are you kidding? I’ve never been in a hotel that charges for fitness center usage! That totally sucks! If I had a hotel, I’d give discounts for people who use the fitness center :-P.

32 caitlin April 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm

that’s ridiculous!

33 Brie (The Fit Bride) April 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm

OMG, I’m at a work conference at Caesar’s Palace in Vegas right now and the fitness center is $25 a day!!! I was so upset. I really was looking forward to it. My work won’t pay for it like they will my meals and transportation, but it totally sucks because I don’t feel safe running alone in a strange city outdoors when it’s dark (bc I’m in meetings all day). Anyone have suggestions?

34 Emily April 14, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Holy cow! $25/day? I’ve got to see what that baby looks like! That’s a little on the high side! What a bummer for you =[ I pay $36 a MONTH for my gym and it’s 24/7!

35 td April 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I don’t mind the charge. Vegas hotels do this and since the rooms can be as cheap as $50/night (rate + tax) for a room right on the Strip, it’s not a bad trade-off. Most don’t charge to use the pools and since I walked everywhere, I didn’t miss using hotel gym. It’s not like I expect spa services to be free either. What I don’t like is that some hotels tack on a mandatory room fee, which covers crappy newspaper, bad coffee and a small bottle of water. Not worth $10-$20!

36 Tiffany April 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Almost every hotel I’ve stayed in has charged extra for using the fitness center (and it was clearly marked each time, in the fitness center, hotel guest services book and on their website). I’ve noticed that the facilities where I’ve had to pay extra typically tend to be nicer, cleaner and more updated than the free use fitness centers (the last free use center I was in had one broken treadmill, an ancient bike and an elliptical).

I actually don’t mind paying extra, as long as it’s a fair price (I wouldn’t pay more than $15). I understand the POV that it’s an amenity, but not every hotel guest patronizes the fitness centers, and shouldn’t have to pay for it in the nightly hotel fee.

I generally research the website for information on fitness center use. If it’s a charge I’m unwilling to pay, I plan ahead by finding a route to run or packing an exercise DVD.

37 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Your lunch looks delicious, I love cut, slop and GO meals! So easy, so nutritious and so yummy!
My favorite will ALWAYS be carrot and celery dipped in nut butter though!

38 jentrinque April 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I really think it’s ridiculous! I suppose I can see a small fee…ten dollars a day seems really, really expensive to me, though! I hope the people who stayed aren’t too upset about all the extra $$$ they had to pay!

39 Eunice April 14, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Yea, the hotel gym charge is not cool. Imagine if you had a longer stay, those charges can add up! I’d probably end up looking for a local gym since the smaller ones usually charge one set fee for the week.

40 Mike T. April 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm

What’s the point of taking a picture of everything you eat? There are hundreds of blogs that do the exact same thing. I had a chicken sandwich for lunch. Should I take a picture of it? I just don’t get it. Please enlighten me.

41 Kara M. April 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm

All of these extra charges are frustrating and can really take you by surprise. I have actually heard of hotels charging for the fitness center. I’ve even stayed in a hotel where only their VIP/rewards members were allowed to use the fitness center. Now that’s what I call crazy!

42 Erin April 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hotels charge for crazy stuff — even when you have to pay for a breakfast, it’s always more economical just to go to the grocery store and buy a box of cereal, milk and fruit. Crazy! I’ve stayed at places that charged for towels, shampoo, even sheets!

43 MelissaNibbles April 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I don’t mind the extra charge. You’re using their equipment and you wouldn’t expect to go to a gym for free you know?
I also don’t mind extra charges for text messaging and wi-fi simply because I really don’t text and like the fact that I don’t pay the same price as someone who is text crazy. Why should I? If you’re using wi-fi, the place where you’re using it has to pay for it somehow and they pass that charge on to you. If people are going to sit in a coffee shop for hours on end and only order one cup of coffee, they should pay for the wi-fi they’re mooching off the coffee shop. It just makes sense to me.

44 Rachel April 14, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Great point! I hadn’t thought about it from that perspective. I can see your point of view. Thanks for giving me a different perspective!

45 abbynormally April 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I can’t believe that!!! What are you paying for if not to use the facilities? Next it will be paying to use the in-room bathroom. Unbelievable.

46 JessicaE April 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Mike T:
If you don’t like it: how about just not read the blogs?? If it doesn’t interest you, no problem, but there is no need to criticize.

47 rc1001 April 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

That $10 is ridiculous!

And would definitely discourage people from exercising while on vacation.

Disapprove!!!!

48 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness.com April 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I think a hotel would be better off charging every single guest $1 more, built into their room fee to cover the cost of a fitness center, rather than charging the guests $10 to use it. If $1/guest was built into the room fee, they would get a lot more money.
And I’m not a fan of automatically charging your room if you use your key. On several occasions, I have used my room key to check out the gym, even if I’m not going to use it right then. I think that they would need to tell you personally when you checked in, and have a HUGE GLARING sign on the gym door in order to get away with this, in my book.
I’m sure there are plenty of business people that would use it, because they can expense it to their companies. But for a leisurely family trip, I’m sure the cost would deter a lot of people. I don’t like this idea at all.

49 Mike T. April 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I just read my comment again. Where was the criticism? I know sometimes on blogs when comments aren’t all rainbows and roses, people think you’re being negative. I just asked what the purpose was of taking pictures of everything you eat. Everyone eats. Everyone goes to the grocery store. Everyone goes out to eat. Why would you need to take pictures of stuff that people already know? What is the point? That’s all I’m wondering.

I don’t remember stating my opinion one way or the other….or criticizing anything. Just wondering. Can you JessicaE, help me with this?

50 Meghann April 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I’m curious. How did you find my blog?

This is a healthy and fitness blog where I show people how I maintain a 30 pound weight loss while working 40 hours a week. Part of that is eating healthy, nutritious meals.

51 Rachel April 14, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I agree with Meghann – how did you find this type of blog/why are you reading? The pictures are part of the nature of this type of blog – it is a healthy living blog and it is more interesting and fun to read with pictures! If it isn’t your thing, you can pass 🙂

52 Hallie April 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Mike, this might help you in your quest for knowledge. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/dining/07camera.html

53 Rachel April 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm

“Everyone eats. Everyone goes to the grocery store. Everyone goes out to eat. Why would you need to take pictures of stuff that people already know? What is the point?”

If you wanted to be a pest, you could ask this about any sort of lifestyle blog. What’s the point of writing a parenting blog where you share your daily experiences with your kids? Everyone has parents. And so on.

I’ve learned a lot of stuff from Meghann’s blog – as a 25 year old young professional living alone, she shares a lot of great tips and tricks for healthy eating that I can relate to! If you can’t relate or learn, ain’t no thang. Don’t read it.

These days, a blog is also a community, and I’d say this one is a good example of that. Readers and commenters and fellow bloggers know each other through a variety of media and a blog helps facilitate that.

Hope that helped.

54 Mike T. April 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Although I still don’t totally get it, I understand where everyone is coming from.

In my personal opinion, you don’t have to take pics of everything to chronicle keeping weight off because I don’t know what there really is to chronicle.

I lost 55 lbs. 10 years ago and daily nutrition has nothing to do with keeping it off. I just got off my butt and started moving. 10 years later, it’s still gone.

But I get it, that it’s not all about that. Women like being a part of something and that’s why most bloggers are women and most people who read blogs are women. And that’s totally cool. Some aspects of blogs don’t make sense to me, but it’s all good and I’ll just mark it down as a difference between men and women.

Thanks.

55 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc April 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. But I don’t understand why you would read the blog and take the time to comment on it if you are so mystified and uninterested in the world of food blogging? As an adult I think we all come to realize people enjoy different things, different activities bring different people enjoyment, and judgment of that is not very kind. Your opinion is your opinion for a reason. It’s yours, and no one elses and should be valued.
Sara

56 Ashley April 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I just recently stayed at a hotel where they charged for the fitness center. When I asked why, they said it was because it was not owned by the hotel.

57 Run Sarah April 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Love the nutrient packed lunch! I have noticed the same thing about hotels recently – I think it’s totally ridiculous!

58 rachael April 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I hate the fitness center charges. One hotel I stayed in charged $15/day, which is funny because the gym near my office is less than that a month. I think a lot of hotels that serve business clientle charge for everything because they can and people will pay.

59 Katherine: What About Summer? April 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

That’s ridiculous that the hotel is charging you. You could pay $10 and get a good spin class or something else!
Katherine

60 lowandbhold April 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I’ve only seen that at places like Vegas where EVERYTHING costs money. I wouldn’t expect it at a conference hotel. People on business travel have to maintain a healthy lifestyle somehow.

61 Betsy April 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm

What?! That’s stupid. I’ve never been to a hotel where you had to pay extra to use the fitness equipment. I’m going to remember to check up on that before the next time I book a hotel. I guess to be safe you could always travel with a resistance band and a fitness DVD or something like that. Boo extra charges!

62 alli April 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm

same thing when i stayed at the tropicana in atlantic city last weekend! i mean, i totally get that hotels have the right to charge for whatever they want, but this just seems ridiculous! and i agree about the extra fee discouraging people from working out… because it was my sister’s bachelorette party and everyone was turned off when they found out about the fee and no one worked out!!

63 Rachel April 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Great looking lunch! I love “sample” platters 🙂 I think that the extra charges and fees are getting a little out of hand. I guess the business does have a right to charge for everything they offer, but it gets to be a bit much. I have run into charges for the fitness center too. It seems unnecessary to me, but I guess the only thing we can do is choose not to pay or express our dissatisfaction to the manager.

64 thewhatkateateblog April 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm

$10 seems steep to me too. Are places going to start charging for use of the swimming pool, too!?

65 Ashleigh April 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm

One of my favorite parts of staying at a hotel is the free gym! It would discourage me to use it if they charged $10, because you are already paying for the room and I already pay close to $100 for my gym membership. I would probably try and get some exercise outside. Thanks for letting us knw about this! I would have to check closely the next time i’m at a hotel!

66 Jess April 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

When I stayed at The Bellagio for work in December it was $25 every time I went to the gym. Luckily it was on my company but I thought that was steep! It was nice and they had an amazing locker room but if I were traveling on my own I don’t think I would have coughed up that much change.

67 Lish April 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I’ve only seen the on-site gym charges at the nicer hotels and usually it’s because their gyms are much nicer. I know it definitely doesn’t discourage most of the traveling employees where I work because most take advantage of it. However, I’ve been told we have a generous recreation allowance compared to most, so who knows?! I think the norm I’ve seen is usually $3-$7 and there are a few that even have a package you can buy for those extra long stays to make it even cheaper.

Honestly, if I’m at a hotel on my own dime and it was $10, I’d probably pass because it seems a little steep.

68 Carrie @ I See Monsters April 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Don’t even get me started on charging to use the fitness center. I recently went to Vegas and the New York New York charges $20 A DAY to use their gym. Mind you, this is on top of a mandatory $13 “resort fee” they automatically charge you each day for use of the internet, a newspaper, and, like, permission to print your boarding pass in the business center. And a pat on the back for being such a sucker, too, I guess. It’s ridiculous. I don’t understand how using a treadmill for 30 minutes a day while in Vegas will 1) keep me away from the gambling all that long, and 2) actually cost the hotel anywhere near $20 to allow my use. UGH. (Can you tell this made me angry?!?)

69 megan April 14, 2010 at 4:46 pm

you know, if you think about it, we’re probably always paying high prices for gym usage, whether we use it or not. it’s just built into the price of the room. That’s how hotels and other places get us to pay for things…group it all together so we don’t actually know what we’re paying for. it might be better to split it all up and only pay for what we actually want! of course, that assumes that the hotel stay itself is lowered by that $10 🙂

70 Matt April 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I guess the hotel has a right to charge for it, but I think it is a little ridiculous. Everything is overpriced these days, at least let us workout for free.

71 Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased April 14, 2010 at 4:48 pm

That would really frost my cookies! I think $10 is an awfully steep price for a hotel gym when you could probably get a day pass at an actual gym for cheaper. It’s been my experience that hotel “gyms” are usually two antique treadmills, a set of free weights and a BoFlex no one really knows how to use stuffed in a tiny, poorly ventilated room.
Hope it was better than that! Especially for 10 tacos.

72 Julie @ Pickley Pear April 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I’ve never heard of a hotel charging to use the fitness center, but I think it’s ridiculous. Love your lunch, very colorful! I should do that more often.

73 maren April 14, 2010 at 5:08 pm

i don’t agree and i wish they wouldn’t do it, but i have found it to be veryyy common. unless youre staying in a super nice hotel is it usually included. i only go if it’s free, just seems like a waste of money, especially if youre on vacation

74 mrsdevonk April 14, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Charging to use the fitness center is lame. It would make me choose another hotel instead.

75 Ashley April 14, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I ran into this in Vegas, I stayed at the Palms and they charges $20.00 a day to use the fitness center, which I paid, and it turned out to be this tiny cramped room about the size of a dorm room with a few ellipticals and treadmills. Totally ridiculous.

76 Mary April 14, 2010 at 5:56 pm

That’s ridiculous! I’ve never been charged to use a fitness facility in a hotel! boo to that!

77 bakebikeblog April 14, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I think charging to use the gym is outrageous!!!!

78 tramey1 April 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I hearrrrrt random pairings/platefuls of veggies/fruit/dippage! So good, and filling…like you said!

79 BridgetP April 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I have been to several hotels that charge about $10/day for the fitness center, especially hotels that cater toward business travelers b/c they know people with expense accounts are more likely to pay it! At many hotels, the charge is for 24 hours, so I have gotten around it by going at a time that I know I could go again within 24 hours – like going one evening and then the next morning. $5 per trip doesn’t seem so bad 🙂

80 Tracy April 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I think fitness room charges have become pretty common in my experience, unfortunately!

Where do you get your tabouli? Is it a brand name or deli fresh?

81 Melissa S. April 14, 2010 at 6:16 pm

bah! what a crappy charge!

actually i caught not an extra charge but a renewal trip that i almost got caught in. i get an auto renewal for my internet security and it’s normally 65.99 but on the website its being sold for 34.99…call them up, get the refund and new charge: BAM! saved self $35!

82 Kristen April 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Hotel do charge for fitness use and in major cities like NY charge $15!

If I’m in a new city and the weather is good, take advantage of a nice walk or jog around the area. Just make sure to ask the front desk if the surrounding streets are safe!

83 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 14, 2010 at 6:34 pm

That’s just plain rude if you ask me. I have actually been shocked as well lately at the extra charges at hotels. Usually I’m only in hotels for work purposes and I do get to expense them right to my own store where I manage the P and L so it really doesn’t help me any.

84 carlysharec April 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I’m not surprised – I think most of the hotels I’ve stayed in the past couple of years charge. I think it’s ridiculous.

85 shelly April 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I grew up in the hotel industry and I have never heard of being charged for gym facilities!

86 jodie April 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

I don’t think hotels should charge. You are already paying to stay there. I also don’t agree with the airlines charging twice for luggage.

87 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc April 14, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I think as long as they are extremely upfront about it (ie: sign on the door in plain sight detailing to charge and policy) then I am ok with it. I am NOT ok with charges which seem like they ‘tricked’ you.
Sara

88 Julia April 14, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Hate to say it, but I think it’s standard. I’ve never been to a hotel with a free fitness center. You’ve been lucky so far I guess! Wish they were free though… along with bags on airplanes. Le sigh

89 Amy April 14, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I feel like that used to always be the norm, and more recently, hotels have begun to offer free access to fitness centers. A lot of hotels operate facilities that are open to membership for local residents. Such hotels have really nice fitness facilities and I don’t think that should be built into the cost of the hotel. Many travelers spend most of their time away from the hotel. They get exercise while exploring their travel destination, so why charge them for a fitness facility that they are not interested in using?

90 Madelin @ What is for Breakfast? April 14, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I’ve stayed at 5 hotels in the last few months. The 3 in Hawaii (1 Westin and 2 Sheratons) did not charge, nor did the 2 in Sydney. Maybe I got lucky? I definitely think you shouldn’t have to pay extra for gym use. However, I did have to pay for a yoga class at the Sheraton Maui but seeing as they used an external instructor I guess I can understand that.

91 katiek April 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm

not sure if anyone one else made this comparison but it is sort of like airlines charging per bag. They do it because they can! I have not yet come across a hotel where they charge for the fitness center. Depending on the cost I would cough it up, especially depending on the weather/season. If you are safely(!) able to run outdoors thats one thing, but the weather in ohio is never consistent!

92 inmytummy April 14, 2010 at 8:18 pm

My thought is that it’s a bunch of BS. It’s like airlines charging you for baggage. Just include any charges is the price and have that be the price!

93 Jenna April 14, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I am dying for breakfast to keep me full all morning! I am usually only full for 3 hours at most!

94 Lauren April 14, 2010 at 8:38 pm

You weren’t staying in a Hilton were you? Because they charged me $15 a day to use their gym! WTF?!?!! Since when do I have to pay more money to use the “complimentary” facilities?

Oh and they also charged 25$ for a bowl of oatmeal. I kid you not!!!

Crazy!

95 runningwithsass April 14, 2010 at 8:46 pm

i can’t believe they charge for that! how ridiculous!!!

96 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers April 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm

The only place I’ve seen hotels charge for the fitness center is in Vegas. They charge for everything though, I think, so that you’ll be deterred from doing it and you’ll just spend your time in the casino instead. Instead, I get my exercise by walking through all of the hotels!

97 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm

The hotel I stayed at in New Orleans did that to me!! Wonder if we stayed in the same one?

After changing into my workout clothes, getting a waterbottle reading, charging my ipod, etc., I showed up at their gym. There was an attendent standing near the doorway who asked me for my money. I was flabbergasted! Especially since I booked that trip myself and made sure the hotel had a gym in it before I called to reserve a room. NOWHERE on the website did it say you had to pay a fee to use the gym! NOWHERE!

When the guy asked me for money, I just left. I was so mad. I decided to go for a run outside instead.

98 suzie April 14, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I travel every week for work and average 170 days in a hotel a year. I have never once been charge for use of the gym. that is just crazy.

99 Marisa April 15, 2010 at 3:09 am

Wow! I can’t believe that a hotel would charge to use their facilities. I’ve done a lot of traveling, especially here in Europe and I have never gotten charged for the use of their gym! Some hotels even included the spa with a massage. That’s just simply ridiculous!

100 Bridget April 15, 2010 at 4:17 am

Yes, I also believe that the charge should be included in the price already, or at least at really expensive places. I know it’s not the case. My hotel for my work orientation in Tokyo was $400 per night per person (no choice, since it was for work), and nothing was included except a continental breakfast that I didn’t want to touch. I choked down some bread and walked miles and miles around Shinjuku instead of daring to use the fitness center at $30 a pop.

The yellow squash and pita bread–so craving that combination! Good work on lunch!

101 Carly April 15, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’m starting to feel like we’re paying more and more for hotels, and getting less and less for the price. I’ve stayed in $300/night hotels that have charged for everything from the coffeemaker to internet to the fitness center, and it makes me wonder why? I miss the days when you at least had breakfast included!

102 Kelly April 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Paying $10 doesn’t bother me. It does bother me to pay $10 and they only have 1 bike, 1 treadmill, 1 eliptical and 30 people wanting to use it. I have found that cheaper hotels don’t charge for the gym. I’ve stayed at a lot of Super 8 motels and they give a free pass to a local gym. But then I’ve stayed at a very nice Hyatt for work and was charged $10. So for my personal trips I look for Super 8 type that offer free breakfast, free WiFi and some access to a gym.

103 Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) April 15, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I think that is a major bummer, but unfortunately in these times everyone is doing what they have to to get by. At least that isn’t quite as bad as some of the European budget airlines considering (or actually) charging for the use of the bathroom in-flight. Now THAT is cruel!! 🙂

104 danielle April 16, 2010 at 7:10 am

I never noticed hotel gym fees until recently. I don’t mind the charge (like others have said, I tend to prefer a lower “base” hotel charge and the opportunity to add on fees for the extras I actually use, vs essentially paying for every amenity whether or not I need it), but what gets to me is the feeling of being charged for something that used to be free.

105 Matt June 4, 2010 at 5:20 pm

A good way to ensure a great hotel gym is to check out http://www.HotelGymReview.com before you leave for your next trip. Also be sure to write reviews about the facility. We’re a new website so we really need people to write reviews.

Thanks!