more ยป" />

Maddie Love

by Meghann on April 12, 2010

I heard a rumor that this blog was seriously lacking some Maddie photos.

Who started spreading that nasty rumor anyways? ๐Ÿ˜‰

The poor thing has been so tuckered out since she returned from my parent’s house yesterday. She has been sleeping non-stop and will barely move from her bed. I guess I have her Uncle Scooby to thank for that?

Alright, enough puppy pics. ๐Ÿ™‚

Back to the food!

I tried a new recipe out tonight that I had discovered on 101 Cookbooks for Coconut Red Lentil Soup.

The recipe was simple and the combination of flavors sounded spot on. I subbed green split peas for the yellow split peas, used ginger powder instead of fresh ginger, and left out the green onion.

I’m not sure if it was the substitutions I made, but this soup was rather bland. ๐Ÿ™ It was missing something, perhaps the fresh ginger?

I paired the soup with some tempeh fries I had toasted in the oven and dipped in BBQ sauce.

These were good. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dessert was a bowl of strawberries and a good chunk of my dark chocolate Easter bunny.

At work I had a mini bag of popcorn as my mid afternoon snack.

If you have a minute check out Tina’s fun post regarding the Pillsbury Bake-off. I am a big food nerd and watch the Pillsbury Bake-Off every year on the Food Network. In fact I distinctly remember one time in college my roommate and I were watching the Bake-Off and were so inspired by a Black Bean & Pineapple Enchiladas that we went out that night to buy all the ingredients to make them!

Maybe one day I’ll earn my own spot in the bake-off! I guess it’s time to start brainstorming.

Have you ever been a contestant in a food competition? Did you win?

1 runeatdatesleep April 12, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Maddie is adorable!!!

I used to enter the food contests in the state fair, and my chocolate fudge won blue ribbons every year! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Evan Thomas April 12, 2010 at 8:26 pm

I love the bake-off talk, too! The biggest food competition I’ve been in is a recipe contest by The Peanut Butter Boy. At least I came in second ๐Ÿ˜‰

3 theprocessofhealing April 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I ALWAYS watch the bake off too!!! But then again, I watch Food Network like it’s my job!
Cute Maddie!!! She’s seriously one of the most adorable puppies I’ve ever seen ๐Ÿ™‚

4 VeggieGirl April 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Gorgeous Maddie!! Chooey and Maddie still need to meet ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Courtney April 12, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Aww Maddie is too cute!! ๐Ÿ˜€

And the bake-off is my DREAM to be in!! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Rachel April 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Awww… Thanks for the Maddie pics. She is so cute! I don’t think I am creative enough to be in a cooking contest. I love watching them on food network though ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Jenny April 12, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I’ve never been in a food competition- can you make a Clif bar cake?

8 Anna April 12, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Awww…why are dogs so freakin’ adorable when they’re tired? Love it.

9 Matt April 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Maddie is adorable ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Angelalovesfood April 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm

maddie is adorable, almost human-like.

11 Kelly April 12, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Aww cute pics of Maddie, haha I love watching that on Food Network also.

12 missyrayn April 12, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love watching the competition on Food Network. I participated in a competition in college and won with a chocolate pumpkin cheesecake.

13 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 12, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I love watching cooking competitions! Would love to be in one too one day!

14 Laura April 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Harry Potter books! ๐Ÿ™‚ (Which I only recognise since I bought book 7 from Amazon.com last year – the editions sold in NZ look totally different!) Do you have a favourite character? I remember when the first three books were just becoming popular and I was determined to resist the tide of public opinion. My cousin offered to pay me $10 if I read the first one and didn’t like it. I never did get that money! *is enough of a Harry Potter geek that I named my dog Remus (here he is, back in 2008, http://www.petsugar.com/Pet-Pics-Petsugar-2335977)*

15 Jenna April 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Ha i love watching it on the food network too ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Jacquie April 12, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I love watching the Bake-Off too. Actually I love watching anything on that channel, but baking definitely gets me going ๐Ÿ™‚

I haven’t been in a competition, but have thought about it with my cookies… maybe one day.

17 chasingthenow April 13, 2010 at 12:15 am

I bet that fresh ginger would have made the difference for your soup. Sometime powder just doesn’t have as much zing!

18 One Healthy Apple April 13, 2010 at 1:03 am

Thanks for the tempeh fries idea! I always roast a whole block but I bet cutting them up makes the crisp factor go up!

I am a Maddie fan- so cute!

19 Caz April 13, 2010 at 1:28 am

That’s hilarious because I totally made this soup for dinner last night too!

And it must have been the ginger and green onions because mine was delicious!

I was worried, since she used water (instead of stock) as the basis for the soup. But there was a LOT of fresh ginger (I used jarred, pre-minced) and a TON of green onions in the recipe that I really think were the contributors of all the flavour.

Something else I noticed, was that she used a specific brand of curry powder. I just used the generic store-brand stuff that I think has been sitting for over a year in my cupboard. When toasting it, I remember thinking I should look into some QUALITY curry powder, as I bet it would amp up the flavour even more.

I ate it again for lunch today over a huge bowl of fresh spinach (the heat wilted it mostly) and it was great with the added veggies.

20 Diana April 13, 2010 at 2:12 am

Maddie’s so cute! ๐Ÿ™‚
I’ve never entered a food competition, I’m not an awesome cook or baker ๐Ÿ˜›

21 britchickruns April 13, 2010 at 3:13 am

I love Maddie ๐Ÿ™‚
I equally love the tempeh fries idea, that’s clever!! I’m definetly doing that ๐Ÿ˜€
I’d love to enter a cookery competition, just for fun – but a big million dollar prize at the end of it would be good too…

22 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 13, 2010 at 4:41 am

Man, if we got the Pilsbury Bake Off in the UK I would totally watch it! I am obsessed with cooking competition shows. I’ve been wondering about applying for one…..

23 midgetkeeper April 13, 2010 at 6:37 am

Maddie is so cute!

24 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 13, 2010 at 8:13 am

Maddie is too cute ๐Ÿ™‚

25 RhodeyGirl April 13, 2010 at 8:14 am

Sorry the soup was bland. I have seen that recipe before and it looks awesome.

26 Katherine: What About Summer? April 13, 2010 at 8:34 am

Maddie has such personality. Does she every dress up?
Katherine
whataboutsummer

27 runningwithsass April 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

yum I love popcorn. Puppy pics are great!

28 Jo April 13, 2010 at 8:52 am

Fresh ginger definitely makes a dish- also roasting spices makes them more pungent too? I’m excited-iron chef is coming over to England! I love, love Maggie’s breed of dog, so friendly- she looks to be adorable and have a real personality of her own! If only my landlord would let me have a mini person myself! ;(

29 katie April 13, 2010 at 11:10 am

i made that soup a few weeks ago and was similarly disappointed in it – used the fresh ginger, which helped a bit, but my lentils and split peas turned to mush when i was reducing it. i had a similar [delicious] soup at angelica’s kitchen in nyc and thought this would be close to it, but it wasn’t at all. no idea what to do differently next time either.

30 Rachel April 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm

My cat was given strawberry yogurt as a treat when she was a baby. So after I got her at 12 weeks I continued that tradition. Now, I almost exclusively get strawberry yogurt just so she can have a little spoonful. Spoiled? You bet!

31 Sammi April 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm

This is late (I’m catching up on my reader, slowly but steadily!), but… I did win a food competition once! Back in high school, there was a dessert & chili cook off and I entered a cheesecake. It was my first (and only) time making cheesecake and it turned out wonderfully! I actually got first place! ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish I remembered where I put that recipe!

32 Amanda April 13, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I made the same soup the other day and also thought it was a bit bland, and I added all the ingredients. I had to add extra curry powder and some hot sauce to give it more oompf. The fresh ginger is definitely a key component though.