more ยป" />

Missing Home

by Meghann on April 11, 2010

When I had asked Derek a while back what he wanted for his 26th birthday he simply stated that he wanted to spend it with me. *cues awws* However, once I dug a little deeper I discovered he really wanted a garmin forerunner.

His wish is my command. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I gave it to him on Wednesday and this morning was the first chance he had to test it out. He was all smiles. ๐Ÿ™‚

Our flights was at 10:30 this morning, which gave us just enough time for a quick 2 mile run along the river and breakfast at a local favorite we had not had the chance to eat at yet.

Mother’s came highly recommended from readers, friends, family, and famous TV foodies (shout out to Adam Richman from Man vs Food!)

It’s a hole in the wall restaurant that focuses on good ole fashion New Orleans cookin’.

While we were waiting in line to order I scanned the plates of the other diners and began drooling over the homemade biscuits on everyone’s plates. I am a true southern girl with a love for buttermilk biscuits that runs deep and when I know a good biscuit when I see one.

I happily ordered an egg & ham biscuit with side of fruit for my breakfast.

I let out a little giggle when I noticed the huge slab of butter they serve each biscuit with.

The egg & ham biscuit was just as good as I had imagined. The biscuit was the right amount of crumbly and basically melted in my mouth. Delicious!

After breakfast it was time to say good bye to New Orleans and catch that big plane in the sky back to Florida. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a mini bag of peanuts on the plane.

My parents picked Derek and I up from the airport and I treated them to Chipolte for lunch.

I had the vegetarian salad with all the trimmings.

Plus a few chips from the community bag.

It felt great to be back home. I immediately stocked my fridge with every fresh vegetable Publix had plus any fruit I could get my hands on. I was a bit indulgent in New Orleans and I can’t wait to get some veggie back in my system.

I started with dinner tonight.

I roasted sweet potato, red potato, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and mushrooms. Then added the roasted veggie to a bed of kale and topped it all of with marinara sauce.

I’ve noticed this has become my go-to post vacation meal. There is something so warm and comforting about the combination of roasted vegetables and marinara sauce. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a slice of pumpkin nut bread with cinnamon vanilla almond butter for dessert.

This past week has been a bit of a blur and I feel like I have been missing out on so many other parts of life. I’m very much looking forward to adjusting back to my normal routine. Tomorrow is a brand new day, right?!

Have I missed out on anything big while I was away? What have all of you been up to? ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Brittany April 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I’m feeling the same way! I hope to get things all sorted out this week – blog stuff, work stuff, and less indulgent eating!

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 11, 2010 at 9:08 pm

My family came to visit and before that I got sick so everything is a blur for me too. Lots of work built up and not enough time to do it all. What a great present for Derek. You are bringing out the runner from inside of him. He’s gonna be running marathons soon.

3 blueberrymuffins April 11, 2010 at 9:11 pm

What a great gift! I just bought a Gramin for my 21st b-day! Its great to be back home ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Sara April 11, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Wow, what an awesome gift! Seems like Derek got everything he wanted for his birthday. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 11, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I LOVE the biscuits at Mother’s……awesome!

6 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 11, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Of course you were indulgent! New Orleans is the Las Vegas of the south. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 11, 2010 at 9:28 pm

That breakfast looks yummy! hehe its funny though – in Australia we call ‘biscuits’ what you guys call cookies! I think the closest thing we have to your biscuits are scones?!

8 Jo April 12, 2010 at 6:10 am

He he, I was just thinking that too- that those ‘biscuits’ look just like classic British scones, without the clotted cream and strawberries- looked it up on Delia and ’tis true! Plus, as well as the biscuit/cookie thing, Americans sometimes seem to call their pancakes flapjacks, and what we say are flapjacks are granola bars in the U.S…. confusing?!!

9 Erin April 11, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Oh man, I’ve been craving Chipotle since I got back from abroad and haven’t had the chance to grab it yet. You’d made it my mission for tomorrow! ๐Ÿ˜€

10 Jes (Self Motivation) April 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Your trip looks like it was so much fun! Of course it is always nice to get back to your own bed. Welcome back!

11 ash bear April 11, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Derek is lucky he has you there to teach him all the Garmin tricks! Bo and I ran 14.4 miles yesterday which was definitely a PDR! I’m overcoming my fears!

12 midgetkeeper April 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm

What a great week! Thanks for sharing your New Orleans trip. I really loved looking at all the pictures.

13 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm

What a great gift!! Now he can use AND spend time with you;)

14 missyrayn April 11, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Aren’t you and awesome girlfriend! And he had the sweetest boyfriend answer. Made me smile.

15 Brie (The Fit Bride) April 11, 2010 at 10:10 pm

So cute! What a great gift. Boys are so hard to buy for!

I’ve been busy–I ran my first half marathon and had a bridal shower. And I made the blog world cry with a post about my dad/why I’m training with Team in Training.

16 Matt April 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm

A Garmin is the key to any runners heart ๐Ÿ˜‰

17 dianacheung April 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm

My bf’s healthy habits rubbed off on me (TWSS) and I LOVE how Derek is morphing into a runner. Great gift….can you send me one? ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Kellie April 11, 2010 at 10:44 pm

those biscuits look so good…

19 theprocessofhealing April 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm

That biscuit looks SO GOOD!!! I’m a sucker for good buttermilk biscuits… I’m proud to be a Southern girl!

20 Dynamics April 11, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Derek is so cute. He is like a kid with a new toy. His big smile made my day. Tell him thank you.

21 fitandfortysomething April 11, 2010 at 11:13 pm

What a great girlfriend you are! Welcome home ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Run Sarah April 12, 2010 at 12:21 am

What an awesome bday gift! I crave roasted veggies after I’ve been away or eaten out a lot, too. They’re just so good!

23 AnneW April 12, 2010 at 1:17 am

So funny- I had the same salad at Chipotle today!! I just bypassed the cheese and doubled up on the salsa! ๐Ÿ™‚ YUMMY!!

24 Diana April 12, 2010 at 1:43 am

That biscuit does look good ๐Ÿ™‚
I find that I crave soup when I come home from vacation!

25 britchickruns April 12, 2010 at 3:34 am

Awwh what a generous present! He is very lucky to have such a fab girlfriend ๐Ÿ™‚
I like the sound of a big old biscuit for breakfast – genius ๐Ÿ˜€

26 Duchess of Fork April 12, 2010 at 7:32 am

I’m so glad you were able to eat at Mother’s! It’s our absolute favorite in New Orleans. Looks like you and Derek had a great trip. I’m sure it’s nice to be home now, though. Have a great week!

27 Julia @ British Bride April 12, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hey Meghann

I have been reading your (and Caitlin’s) blog for a while now and wanted to say hi and how great your blog is – very inspirational and a very good read. You both inspired me to start my own blog – check me out at wwwbritishbride.wordpress.com. I will link your blog to my own (as I don’t know many people out there in the blogging world) but obviously don’t expect you to do the same – I have read and taken note of your Marketing Blogging 101!!!

Lots of love and luck for the future – Julia

aka British Bride

28 runningwithsass April 12, 2010 at 8:45 am

glad you got to go to mother’s! DId you have to stand in a really long line? there is always a line!

29 Rachel April 12, 2010 at 9:07 am

Wow! That biscuit and your description are making my mouth water!!!! It sounds so good – I haven’t had a biscuit in forever! I am glad you made it back home safe and sound. I hear you on needing some fresh produce in your life after a week away. That is always what I look forward to after a vacation.

30 Rika April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I think it’s so cute that Derek has turned into such a little healthy foodie upon your influence! ๐Ÿ˜€