more ยป" />

NOLA

by Meghann on April 7, 2010

Hello from New Orleans!

I made it! And I’ve been having a blast!

Check out my digs!

I was upgraded to a suite and I am sooo not complaining!

My favorite part is the gorgeous view of the city.

Once we landed and were settled out group split for lunch. Half of us went to Crescent City Brewery and the other to Acme Oyster House.

Acme Oyster House was one my ‘must eat at’ list so I happily joined that crowd.

Fun fact: Acme Oyster House was featured on an episode of Man v Food where Adam competed in the 15 dozen oysters in less than an hour challenge.

He won and his name is proudly displayed above the bar. ;)

My lunch today was pieced together by a few things that struck out at me on the menu.

I started with the corn and crawfish soup.

The soup was rich, but delicious.

Next 1/2 a dozen Raw Oysters. I mean, who goes to an oyster house and doesn’t get oysters?

With some bread instead of crackers for consuming.

Lastly I had a couple of hush puppies my boss had ordered.

After lunch we got to work setting up the reception area.

There may have been a little incident where the bell captain sent me to the package loading dock and I got in trouble by security for taking my own boxes because no one else is around, but we’ll skip those petty details. ;)

We actually were done a little early so a co-worker and I set off to explore New Orleans.

There was a crowd by Peaches Records and we were pretty excited to see a movie filming.

Apparently the movie stars Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman, but we saw neither in the crowd.

You’ll never guess our final destination on our walk…

Cafe Du Monde! Famous for their beignets and suggested by almost every person who has ever been to NOLA. :)

We ordered a bag of Beignets to share and ate them by the water.

WOW!! These babies were like little pieces of heaven. They were served hot and were absolutely amazing! Of course they reminded me more of a funnel cake than a donut. :)

I don’t drink coffee, but Caroline ordered a small one of the famous brew and said it was very tasty.

We decided to be nice and brought back beignets for our co-workers.

I think they enjoyed them ;)

Tonight’s reception was the open ceremonies for our user group.

I was in charge of the registration table and am happy to report that everything went smoothly. It was nice to finally put a face to all the e-mail addresses I have been in constant contact with for the past couple of months. :)

There was a lot of great food options, but I was too busy to grab anything to eat!

IMG_3856.JPG IMG_3857.JPG IMG_3858.JPG IMG_3859.JPG IMG_3860.JPG

I did manage to track down a glad of red wine though. ;)

IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3891.JPG

Once the reception was done, a few of my co-workers and I headed down the road to Mulate’s for dinner.

The cajun cafe had a live band and dance floor with the cutest couples two steppin’ right along!

Caroline ordered an Abita beer and when I heard it was a local brew of New Orleans I couldn’t resist ordered their seasonal red ale myself.

My table started with a GIANT sampler platter of fried and grilled seafood goodies.

I tried some alligator and a frog leg simply because I don’t get the opportunity to eat those everyday.

I also split a little crab cake with a co-worker.

My co-worker, Caroline, and I were both indecisive on what to order and decided to split the Catfish Mulate’s.

We split a blackened grilled catfish that was topped with crawfish etoufee, jambalaya, steamed veggies, and a twice baked potato.

Ironically we both left the jambalaya and potato behind, but had both cleaned our plates of veggies. :)

What a long day! It was fun, but very exhausting. Tomorrow is the first full day of our user group. Cross you fingers everything goes smoothly!

Sadly I didn’t get into the ING NYC Marathon today? Did you?

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 7, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Ahhhh traveling for work at it’s best! If I ever have a job some day I hope they fly me all over the country too :)

2 Dee April 7, 2010 at 11:33 pm

wow! that’s some spread! and mmmm… Cafe Du Monde…

I have a quick question… what bag do u use to carry your camera in when you are traveling? Either on vacay/work trip/or just to and from work?

3 tropicaleats April 7, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Oh I LOVEEEEE NOLA! Went there for Mardi Gras this year and had a BLAST. If you get a chance, drive down St Charles Ave towards Tulane University. All of the architecture is amazinggg.. and you can find the house where they filmed Benjamin Button somewhere down there too! Enjoy your week :)

4 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm

OH BOY! What a jam packed day! The town looks so adorable :) And I am so glad to hear that your reception went well! Love that black dress you are wearing :)

5 britdanielle7 April 7, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I got into the NYC Marathon, surprisingly! I wasn’t expecting to on my first attempt, but I’m definitely excited :) Sorry to hear you didn’t get in this year…keep trying! :)

6 Beth April 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Wow it looks like you’re having a BLAST!! I wish my conferences were that fun! :P

7 Run Sarah April 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Love your dress! New Orleans eats look so unique and fun, those beignets are droolworthy!

8 shayla April 8, 2010 at 12:19 am

Hi! Sorry this may be a lame question but I’m not familiar with entering a marathon… how then do you qualify to be in the nyc marathon and why meghann are you not in it? As far as I’m concerned you’re a bad ass athelete and should be in it! : )
Thanks!

9 Anna April 8, 2010 at 12:19 am

Reading this makes me wish I had a blog back when I used to plan conferences. I think it would’ve made winding down at the end of a hectic day so much better. Good luck with the all the glitches that inevitably arrive, and remember – no one except for the planners actually notice what goes wrong. It’s awesome that you’re getting to enjoy the city some too.
Have a great conference!

10 Sally Kate April 8, 2010 at 12:31 am

i forgot to suggest acme oyster house- its definitly a must-go and i also go there every time, i just couldnt remember the name!! oops. i am green with envy from your pics!!! have a great time!

11 Ida April 8, 2010 at 12:40 am

love the dress! looks like your doing a good job of sampling all the local delicacies, don’t forget to squeeze in a hurricane:)

12 Diana April 8, 2010 at 2:31 am

Yay. The place where you’re staying looks very nice!
New Orleans looks like such an interesting place! I’d totally try one of those beignets. ;)

13 britchickruns April 8, 2010 at 3:06 am

I’m glad it went well, and your suite is fab!
You got to try alligator!? That’s amzing! I bet that’s quite chewey!!??
I’d love to go to New Orleans, it looks great :D

14 Karla April 8, 2010 at 6:35 am

A bunch of my friends are going to New Orleans this weekend for a conference. Sadly I’m broke so chose to stay behind but if not we could have met! Oh well!

15 Rachel April 8, 2010 at 6:44 am

What a jam packed day and full of good eats to boot! I can’t believe you fit all of that into one afternoon/evening! NOLA looks beautiful and quaint. One day I hope to make it down there for a visit.
Glad your first day went off without a glitch. Hope today goes equally as well!

16 Jes (Self Motivation) April 8, 2010 at 6:54 am

Wow, it looks like you are having a wonderful time! I absolutely love your dress, by the way!

17 midgetkeeper April 8, 2010 at 7:13 am

Your dress is so cute. Looks like a great day in New Orleans. I want some beignets.

18 Conni April 8, 2010 at 7:27 am

I am so very jealous of you! All of those restaurants you went to are oodles of childhood memories for me! I think I might know which hotel you are in based on that picture………in hind sight that sounds super creepy. ha. Have fun!!

19 NYCRunnerGirl April 8, 2010 at 7:29 am

I love the dress you’re wearing in the last few pictures!

I didn’t enter the lottery, but I’m running 9 NYRR races this year to qualify for the marathon next year. At least you’ve got Chicago on your agenda!

20 Duchess of Fork April 8, 2010 at 7:33 am

I’m glad you’re enjoying New Orleans. The food certainly is rich. If you have a chance, check out Mother’s…best poboys and skinny fries in town! Emeril’s New Orleans is also awesome for an upscale dinner. And for this weekend, you MUST go to Pat O’Briens for a famous hurricane and the talented dueling piano show. It’s always packed and tons of fun. :)

21 Matt April 8, 2010 at 7:39 am

I didn’t get into NYC either :( Are you going to try running in NOLA tomorrow?

22 rebecca lustig April 8, 2010 at 7:46 am

ahh looks like youre livin the dream down there, so glad you’re having a blast.

hope youre taking care, lovely <3

23 Anna April 8, 2010 at 7:48 am

Makes me miss my home state!!! :-( Glad you’re enjoying your time there!

24 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) April 8, 2010 at 7:55 am

Your pictures of the city are just gorgeous. It looks like you are soaking in every moment you can!

25 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 8, 2010 at 7:57 am

Looks like your trip to NOLA is off to a great start! Oh Abita beer…. how I miss you! I love their Purple Haze, it is a raspberry wheat beer. Man your pictures are really making me want to plan another trip back to NOLA, I miss it so much!!

26 Melissa April 8, 2010 at 7:58 am

I just had to to tell you, You look soo pretty in your dress for the reception. Love that dress! Have a great time

27 Katherine: What About Summer? April 8, 2010 at 8:04 am

Not to be dense, but first glance, I thought you didn’t know the people at the Oyster Bar and were taking random pics.

The way your shirt is blowing in the wind reminds me of when you (or atleast I did this) were a kid and you blow into your once-piece to inflate it. Good memories.

Katherine
whataboutsummer

28 Melissa S. April 8, 2010 at 8:05 am

sorry about nyc, there’s always next year!

and what a great time in NO already! i wish i could be there; i’ve passed it so many times!

29 Kelly April 8, 2010 at 8:09 am

New Orleans looks fun, I can’t believe you ate frog legs and alligator!!

30 Brandi April 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

glad you get to do some local stuff while you’re there! Those beignets look so good :)

31 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 8, 2010 at 8:16 am

Yay for Beignets.

32 Mandy A April 8, 2010 at 8:23 am

Where did you get your awesome dress? That’s exactly what i’m looking for to wear on my 30th bday in a couple of weeks! :)

33 kristen April 8, 2010 at 8:25 am

I agree- great dress!

I remember my dad bringing back beignet mix from Cafe du Monde when I was a kid….I loved them and hope to be able to get the “real deal” one day.

Don’t forget to have a Hurricane! :)

34 Anne P April 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

How fun! The only time I’ve been in NOLA was for a work conference, too. It was a blast :)

35 kirsten April 8, 2010 at 8:51 am

Cute dress!! 2 of my friends didn’t get into the NYC marathon either. Did you think about getting in by raising money for a charity? I’m sure you could raise the money!!

36 Emilyeatsclean April 8, 2010 at 8:59 am

I LOVE your dress…..so cute!! It might be work, but it looks like a pretty fun trip….enjoy!

-emily

37 Katie @ LifeDiscombobulated April 8, 2010 at 9:01 am

How funny! Over at the blog Iowa Girl Eats, she travelled to New Orleans and ate the same beignets just over a week ago! :) Blog worlds are converging…

38 Kara M. April 8, 2010 at 9:02 am

I am soooo jealous of you right now! I lived in Louisiana for 4 years and I miss it all the time. The people are great and the food is amazing!

If you get the chance, try an Abita Strawberry beer. It’s a seasonal beer right now made with Louisiana strawberries. It’s super delicious!

39 Jenna April 8, 2010 at 9:06 am

no worries about the ING marathon! you are having a blast in NOLA!
omg frog and alligator-well i mean you only llive once right :)
glad you are having a great time!
jenna

40 Jenny April 8, 2010 at 9:14 am

I’m so glad you liked new orleans!

41 dianacheung April 8, 2010 at 9:18 am

Holy Moly! It’s only been a day and look at all that deliciousness you’ve consumed. Cafe Monde is on my “bucket list” of food places I need to go to before I…expire! Yum yum! You look wonderful in that dress btw! Where did you get it?! And what a HUGE convention you help put together…kuddos!

42 culturalcravings April 8, 2010 at 9:19 am

I love your dress! Where did you get it?

Looks like you’re having a great time

43 Stephanie April 8, 2010 at 9:21 am

What a charming city! I’d love to go someday. OMG you are so daring! I don’t know if I’d be able to try frog legs and alligator!

44 amanda @ fake ginger April 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

I love New Orleans! Acme is one of the best seafood places ever. Mmm! Glad you’re enjoying your time! Can’t wait to see the rest of your visit!

45 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

Looks like SO much fun, I love new orleans!

46 Christina April 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

Looks like you’re having so much fun! I love the picture of you with the donut :)

47 Morgan April 8, 2010 at 9:36 am

NOLA looks like so much fun, so much yummy food! Plus I love that dress you’re wearing!
I got into the marathon, but can’t run since my baby is due one month before, so I hope I can defer until next year. Maybe you can run with one of the charities? At least you have Chicago!

48 Gwen April 8, 2010 at 9:47 am

Too funny – of the three places I ate outside of the hotel and convention center when I was in NOLA for a work meeting, you’ve already hit two – Acme and Mulates! Too funny :) Sadly, I did not get to try any beignets…

49 sunnytropic April 8, 2010 at 9:51 am

NOLA looks fun! It’s one of the places on my “must see” list!

I didn’t make it into the NYC Marathon through the lottery either. I don’t know anyone that did…you, me, and Ashley didn’t!

Since I live in NYC though I am going to sign up for the NY Road Runners and run the 6 races + 1 volunteer event next year to get guarenteed entry into the 2012 marathon!

50 Caroline April 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

Not to be creepy but you look so good in that black dress outside of mulates!

51 runningwithsass April 8, 2010 at 10:05 am

looks like you are having fun!
so weird tos ee pics of you in my old stompin’ grounds!

52 fromatopink April 8, 2010 at 10:21 am

Looks like you’re having a wonderful time! I’ve never been to NOLA so it’s nice to live vicariously through you. (And your hotel room doesn’t look too shabby, either!) :)

53 hundredtenpounds April 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

The pictures look amazing! What a fun trip. And LOVE the little black dress. :)

54 jen April 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Where did you get that dress you are wearing at dinner? Love it!

55 lowandbhold April 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I’m dying to go to New Orleans. Looks like you’re really living it up!

56 cara April 8, 2010 at 6:05 pm

all the food looks great. I had no idea abita beer was from NOLA. Makes sense though because I tried it for my first time at a cajun restaurant. haha.