Flash Drives

by Meghann on April 6, 2010

How has your morning been?

Mine was spent uploading presentations onto flash drives.

IMG_3689

Aren’t they pretty?

I still can’t believe we’re leaving tomorrow!! 🙂 The flash drives was just one task on my list of a million to get done before I leave.

I had the other half of my easter scone as a snack midmorning.

IMG_3686

Mmmm….

Lunch looks a little off because it was a last minute grab on my way out the door this morning.

IMG_3691

IMG_3693

Lets have a show of hands on how many people had Easter left overs for lunch today… anyone?!?… I know you’re out there!

IMG_3697

IMG_3699

IMG_3700

I love lunches that require you to dip.

IMG_3704

And a single slice of Pumpkin Nut Bread to round everything out.

IMG_3702

Any other event planners out there? Please share your top three last minute mistakes make me feel better.

So far I’ve misspelled my CEO’s name on his badge, forgot to order my CEO’s business card, and shipped shirts to a presenter’s old mailing address and the shirts have no disappeared. Yikes!

1 britchickruns April 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm

OOOhhh you’re an events’ planner! This is the first time I’ve realised what you do; the world makes that bit more sense now 😛

2 Jenny April 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Putting awards in boxes according to county, but taking the wrong box! Serious mistake!

3 Heather @ (The Single Dish) April 6, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Here are some mistakes I have made in my many events that I plan for my job:

-I forgot to bring a box opener with me when I have 150 boxes to open
-Bring an old attendee list and not the most up to date one 🙁
-Forget my contract so the hotel can tell me things that I didn’t put on the contract that I know I did!
-Forget to bring blank name badges for on-site registration
-Forget to request easels, white boards for conference
-Water on tables!
The list goes on and on…I love business centers in hotels, they always can help me! Good luck!

4 peanutbutterfingers April 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm

not that this is really an event planner’s job at all, but my friend works in admissions for a college & sent letters telling students they were not accepted to the college in “congratulations” envelopes. pretty bad, huh???

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Bahaha! That’s so hilarious.

6 Diana April 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Event planner, that sounds cool! 🙂
That pumpkin nut bread looks really good.

7 Kate April 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I have made sooo many event planning mistakes! (And mistakes in general, at work.) I try to go through the day piece by piece and think of what could go wrong / what I’m forgetting, but it’s so hard to be “in the moment” when you’re not. Things may seem like they’re a big deal now but 2 weeks from now, you’ll laugh and be proud of what you did, and forget the little stuff! Good luck!

8 Anne April 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Ha! This made me laugh…I do ALOT of project/event management at my job and have had some nervewracking moments:

1) Not having enough flash drives! (seriously, double check yours 🙂
2) Being so frazzled I tried to get on a JetBlue flight – thought they lost my reservation – and was going to buy a new one – when I realized I was on an American flight…
3) Setting out a beautiful spread of coffee and pastry to realize that the milk had spoiled….and it was the CEO who had just poured it into his coffee.

But seriously – just walk through the events of the day as if you were the participant, keep your cell phone on at all times and have fun! Good luck!

9 The Linz April 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I can defnitely relate as I am an event planner to. My biggest mistake recently…

– I forgot to request the American Flag & Idaho Flag for our colors presentation for the opening of our County Conference Meeting (They opted to pull up a picture of an american flag on their computer and pledge to that…I thought I was in big trouble after that one)

Hang in there! 🙂

10 Quinn April 6, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Oh, I’ve been there with the flash drives. Here’s a sampling of mishaps:

– Spelled owners nametag name wrong
– Missed the A-D names in the nametag registration list
– Had an elevator stop working that brought people to the rooftop for a rooftop party and had them schlep up the stairs.
– Had an outdoor party on a cold and windy October day with no space heaters
– Had all power taken out of some raw space where we were hosting a cocktail reception and the only lighting were dim candles.
– Forgot to get a coat rack for a winter event.

I could go on! For every mistake you make now, you’ll ensure that you don’t miss them in the future!

11 Beth April 6, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I <3 Leftovers! 🙂

12 BethT April 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I’ve made my fair share of event mistakes…including publicizing an event for the WRONG DAY. oops.

13 Rose April 6, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Hang in there! I once had to pay a ton of money because I ordered books for a conference from Barnes and Noble, and they were all over the state of Texas. My bad!

14 Lizz April 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Ummm..yeah, mistakes- they happen. The key is to roll with the punches. My top three:
1- Forgetting a laptop powercord (DO NOT DO THIS)
2- Mail merging before the list was complete. So. Much. Wasted. Paper. Poor trees 🙁
3- Forgetting there was a parade. Some explanation is necessary- I worked for a State Fair and had to park a TV truck on-grounds (which is really hard to begin with because of safety). We ended up having to out-run the parade and in the process made a helicopter guy mad because he couldn’t land with the truck there. ERG. Yeah, good times in internships…

15 Domesticated-Bliss April 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Yeah it’s a charmed life, right?

I forgot to get a permit for wine sampling in one of our stores for a big party for 600 people. We made it happen before event day but it was a process! Can you imagine 600 executives with no alcohol?

16 Sarah April 6, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I’m eating Easter leftovers today! I made Kath’s Veggie Lasagna, and I ate a piece of that, plus a salad, for lunch.
I do event planning on the side (mostly for weddings). Here’s what I’ve got:
1. Did not bring comfortable shoes for all the running up and down stairs I had to do ALL DAY.
2. Didn’t make enough signs to direct guests where to go.
3. Didn’t allow enough time for me to get ready for said wedding. I recently saw a picture of me, dressed up, with flat hair and PIT STAINS.

17 Jen Trinque April 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Meghann, I used to be an events planner at an inn. I planned business meetings, dinners, bridal showers, weddings, anything you can think of. Well, one of the brides had ONE request: that the chef make her husband’s groom cake from this special recipe she had. It was his favorite cake. From the time we booked this event to the day of the wedding we had changed chefs at least once, and the week before the wedding the bride emailed me again to make sure we had the recipe and that it would be all good. On the night of the wedding I was upstairs in the owner’s quarters waiting things out when one of the waitstaff told me I had to come down immediately. The bride was freaking out – the frosting on the cake was wrong! It was supposed to be a white frosting on a chocolate cake and the frosting was dark chocolate! I brought it back to the chef, who scraped it all off the cake, then tried to remake it, but it was too hot (it was a heated frosting recipe) and it kept melting off the cake…disaster. I really, really hope she laughs about it now, but I felt so, so terrible at the time. Don’t worry, anything that goes wrong will be fine, and I know you’ll do your best!

18 theprocessofhealing April 6, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Your job sounds fun! Albeit, a little stressful…
Mmm I love lunches that are full of tons of components!

19 Gabriela (froyolover) April 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Gotta LOVE cauliflower and dip-y lunches..
😀
Have a wonderful day, Meghann!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

20 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

That sounds like a stressful job for sure! I do love the dip-y lunch 😉

21 RhodeyGirl April 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I forgot to turn on the air conditioning early at an indoor summer event. It was DISGUSTING in the hall.

22 Laura Georgina April 6, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I’ve sent rejection letters to people who have been accepted (though thankfully not acceptances to rejected people!) and I’ve also booked airport taxis on the wrong days (caught it on time, thank goodness, but sheesh….) So much goes on at the last minute, there’s always something totally obvious that gets overlooked or tweaked. Don’t worry–it’ll all turn out fine and you’ll laugh when it’s all over!

23 poiseinparma April 6, 2010 at 4:08 pm

My top three mistakes as an event planner:
1) Forgetting a name tag for the Guest of Honor
2) Misspelling a VIP donors name – usually happens when it’s something easy like “Smith” or “Jones”
3) Leaving my cell phone at home – WORST DAY EVER!

24 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Definitely rocking the Easter leftovers. We randomly had a big turkey dinner (still not sure why), so now I have an excessive amount of turkey to work with. And I’m running low on creative ideas on how to use it!

25 Sarah April 6, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Two of my favorite personal mistakes as an event planner for the Chamber of Commerce I work for:
My e-mail crashed and I lost an updated spreadsheet with event attendees for our Annual Dinner—we had people come to our FULL event saying they RSVP’d to my e-mail but we had no place for them…after some moving and manipulating of the seating chart it worked out but it was not good!
Also, I sent out about 200 invitations by e-mail, fax and snail mail, with the wrong day and date! I thought I checked everything over thoroughly, but clearly I did not!!
You just have to roll with it and improvise!

26 Anna April 6, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Good luck!!! Sounds like a stressful situation for sure!

27 fromatopink April 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm

We ALL make mistakes, trust me. 😉 Just look at it as a learning experience – I bet you won’t make the same mistake twice!

28 soyaetchocolat April 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Hi Meghann! It’s my first time commenting on your blog but I’ve been reading it for the past two months and love it! Writing in English is really time consuming for me (I need to check the spelling of every other word I write) so I don’t comment often on blogs but I check your posts 3 times a day. I’m addicted! I have a few questions about running but I’ll wait for a less busy time for you to ask them.

I ate leftovers from Easter too for lunch today. It’s was good though!

29 runninghealthy April 6, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Event planning sounds like it can be a stressful, crazy job! I was the yearbook editor in HS and left out a major advertisement … others should have caught it but ultimately it was my mistake. Yikes, glad those days are behind me :).

30 Travel Eat Love April 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I have planned many events and have been short nametags, not enough chairs in some of the rooms, and a major hotel screw up where they didn’t put out tables for an evening, food heavy event! No tables. Lucikly we got there in time and they started rolling them in, but it was a panic for awhile.

31 Kim April 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I’m an event coordinator for a big university. In my 10 years of event coordinating, I have managed to make a few very big mistakes. Once, I scheduled a 600 person event…on the wrong date. I didn’t discover this little mistake until 2 days prior to the event date. Another time, I booked the wrong venue and 300 people tried to cram into a room that fits only 100 people. The campus fire marshall was not happy…Ahhhh!

32 Emily April 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I’m not an event planner, but part of my job is to travel and give educational programs to youth and/or adults about the invertebrate animals at our facility (I work for a butterfly & insect center). One day I was at a senior center ready to set up, and had to use a slide projector, rather than a laptop & projector. Well, I couldn’t get it set up properly, the slides were falling out, the light wasn’t working, AND my cell phone was dead, so I had to borrow one from an employee of the senior center. It was crazy…but hey, it worked out in the end.

Good luck pulling together the last minute stuff!

33 Alice April 6, 2010 at 7:42 pm

For some reason catering once didn’t deliver napkins OR plates. So there was a bunch of distinguished people standing around, eating messy stuff like cut pineapple and cake out of their hands.

Now – I always bring napkins and paper plates, just in case!!

34 Rachel April 6, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I love Easter leftovers. It is probably my favorite part of the day 🙂
I used to help my Dad prep for his huge annual conference. I once prepared all the binders for the executive meeting backwards and upside down. No one realized the mistake until the meeting started. Woops….

35 Kristen April 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

From my event planner days, big mistake was not getting pre-approval for a product unveiling in the booth. We were equipped with a magician, microphone sound system turned up all the way, calling all attendees to the booth to see the new product.
Problem was, it got so loud & distruptive & had drawn such a crowd of attendees in the aisles that the neighboring exhibitors got angry and called show management over.

Huge tip that always saves me on the big day:
-Appoint an “assistant” for the event/conference – someone to act as your clone b/c you cannot be in 2 places at once!

36 M April 7, 2010 at 6:19 am

I’m a lawyer, and lately, i feel like i have been making SO many mistakes. Tiny details that seem so innocuous (like a typo) can have such big consequences, no matter what your profession! I’ve been so stressed lately, so I’m a little comforted by everyone’s comments here. Everyone makes mistakes.

37 Janie April 7, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I’m an event planner as well and have made some of the same mistakes listed above! I work for a business school full time, but also manage weddings and other events for a local catering company part time. Hands down biggest mistake (but I laugh about it) was burning bread baskets. Our dinner tables are always so crowded with fancy silverware, plates, flower arrangements and votives. I’ve had several experiences where servers will set the bread basket too close to the votives and the napkins catch on fire. I’m always on the look out for this! Good luck Meghann, I know you’ll be fine!