A Good Stretch

by Meghann on April 6, 2010

Boy did my legs need a good stretch this morning!

There are times when your body needs a great session of sweaty hot yoga and there are other times when the relaxing yoga is all that you need. What I love about yoga is both extremes are amazing and beneficial in there own ways and that there is always the option of either or.

My legs have felt great post-ultra, but I’m not sure they’re ready for anything too intense at the moment. This morning I happily took advantage of the relaxing yoga class my gym offers, so I could give my legs the TLC they need at the moment.

I honestly didn’t realize how tight and stiff my body was until I got it in downward dog for the first time. It was amazing. I think I even shed a tear at one point in pigeon pose. Leaving the class I felt like a whole new person – I felt stretched and confident my legs were ready for their next big adventure.

*cough*  *cough* Triathlon anyone?  😉

I took my time getting ready after yoga and headed straight to work to dig into my packed breakfast.

IMG_3670

IMG_3674

Last night I made a breakfast cookie with

• 1/2 cup Oats
  • Pumpkin
  • Cinnamon
  • Butterscotch Chips
  • Dried Cherries
  • Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter
  • Chia Seeds

IMG_3677

I topped the cookie with an apple and some trail mix that was in my desk.

IMG_3682

Breakfast perfection.

IMG_3683

Today is going to be BUSY! I’ve already spent 45 minutes on the phone with our travel company regarding a client’s flight status. If that is any indication of how the rest of my day is going to look then its a good thing I packed my lunch!

1 megan April 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

sounds like a great morning of yoga. I always pack my breakfast and eat it at work! For some reason it’s so much more fun to eat it at my desk…it livens up my morning 🙂

2 atastelife April 6, 2010 at 9:27 am

No yogurt in your breakfast cookie?!?! How much pumpkin did you use? It looks deeelish.

3 Meghann April 6, 2010 at 9:30 am

Nope, no yogurt. And I just spoon in as much pumpkin as nessecary until I get the texture I want – about two heaping spoonfuls.

4 britchickruns April 6, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love it when yoga has that effect – I come away from yoga feeling so wobbly sometimes, like my muscles are suddenly so long and stretched – it’s lovely!
Aah brakfast cookie! I’ve been meaning to make one of them for SO long! They look great 🙂

5 Julie April 6, 2010 at 9:46 am

breakfast looks yummy! I did yoga this morning too! It felt so good. My bodies getting used to these long runs on the weekend.. first half marathon here i come!

6 Christina April 6, 2010 at 9:48 am

Sounds like a great yoga class! The Lululemon at my mall is hosting free yoga classes starting this Saturday. I can’t wait to get a good stretch session!

7 Megan April 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Crest Whitestrips are for serious a miracle…i do them once every year (or less!) and ALWAYS get comments about how white my teeth are!!! Which is impressive considering how much coffee (and red wine…i mean…) I drink!

8 fitandfortysomething April 6, 2010 at 10:08 am

i agree about needing yoga after a tough run! i am sure you feel a lot better 🙂

9 theprocessofhealing April 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

Yoga is amazing!! It really does work wonders!

10 Run Sarah April 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

I love how great yoga feels on sore muscles! Great idea with packing the bfast cookie in the tupperware, too!

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 6, 2010 at 10:42 am

cough cough triathlon . . . Meghann you’re an animal!!!!!

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 6, 2010 at 11:13 am

indeed!

13 Matt April 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yoga is good 🙂 I was so sore the next day that I felt like I ran a marathon!

14 Anna April 6, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m sure your legs felt awesome after a stretch session– I can only imagine how tight mine would be!! They’re tight after SIX miles, lol. 🙂

Yummy breakfast!

15 biz319 April 6, 2010 at 10:52 am

Go for the tri! I did one. Once. I am not a good swimmer and the look of my husband’s face when I got out of the water was priceless!

16 Rachel @ Suburban Yogini April 6, 2010 at 10:57 am

Yoga is the cure for all ills. Always.

Still astonished that anyone can do an ultra. Amazing amazing stuff!

17 Gabriela (froyolover) April 6, 2010 at 10:57 am

Jeez, Louise!
T´was definetely breakfast perfection 😀
Have a wonderful week, Meghann!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

18 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 6, 2010 at 10:59 am

Sometimes there is nothing better than a good stretch!

19 Jacquie April 6, 2010 at 11:00 am

Gotta love yoga! But also I need to get on this oatmeal cookie wagon. I love my oatmeal, but with it getting warmer, I don’t know if I want a steaming bowl in the morning.

And I definitely understand about planning things for clients. I used to work with event and wedding planners in more personal events and boy, did I have some interesting times… but it is rewarding, isn’t it?

20 RhodeyGirl April 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

I am so excited to go to yoga on Thursday after reading this post. I haven’t been in, um, years!

21 allie April 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm

i need a good yoga seession at some point this week. tired legs. triathalon??!! i wish i could swim- i would love to do one someoday. just don’t forget that you really do need an off season before chicago. you’re young, but not invincible.

22 runnerforever April 6, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Cool breakfast! I am seriously in awe of triathletes, so fit!

23 Diana April 6, 2010 at 1:34 pm

That breakfast looks good!
I’ve actually never done yoga before but I will probably start doing some dvds here at home, during the weekend. Just so I do some sort of exercise during the weekend instead of just taking those two days off. 🙂

24 Lindsay H April 6, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I had a breakfast cookie this morning too (banana vanilla-chai flavored…thanks to my Vega Whole Food Optimizer powder)! I love it when breakfast is already made for you in the morning. Makes the day a little less hectic.

25 Lauren @ Running Examiner April 6, 2010 at 2:25 pm

gah I LOVE yoga. I’ve been doing it for a little over ten years, and it never ceases to amaze me! It’s soothing, functional, and empowering all at the same time. I think I love yoga as much as I love running.

26 Rae April 6, 2010 at 3:16 pm

YAY for triathlons!! I see one in your future!!!

Or how about this?

I realize its a bit tame for you, but i think running a half marathon at night would be so cool! PLus its on my birthday!

27 Lindsay H April 6, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Meghann, why don’t you try running the Pikes Peak Marathon next year? It would definitely offer you more of a challenge than just “any old marathon”.

8000 vertical feet gained from a start of 6000 or so all the way up to the top of Pikes Peak at 14000 and back down. It’s a beast of a marathon (so I hear…not like I’ve ever done it! I’ve hiked Pikes Peak, but I can’t imagine running it). I feel like you would enjoy the challenge! Also, CO is awesome. 🙂

28 missyrayn April 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Yoga after a great run is perfect. You’ll be great at your event!

29 hungryforbalance April 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I love that you turned to a mellow yoga session to help your body heal after such a strenuous run- it feels so good, right?! By the way thanks so much for posting all about your run! It was so inspiring to read and got me even more excited to train for my second 1/2 marathon. Maybe someday I’ll do an ultra 🙂