more ยป" />

Empty fridge, Full freezer

by Meghann on April 5, 2010

Since I am heading out of town bright and early on Wednesday morning I felt no need to hit the grocery store this week.

Which left me with this.

IMG_3666

A very empty fridge. ๐Ÿ™

Whatโ€™s a girl to do?

The answerโ€™s easy โ€“ dig into the freezer and get creative.

IMG_3669

I started by adding radishes to a skillet and building from there. Frozen okra, corn, edamame, and a quorn cutlet were unearthed from the depths of my freezer and added to the mix.

IMG_3655

The veggie mix was seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and oregano before serving.

IMG_3653

Not bad. ๐Ÿ™‚ The meal was full of color and flavor โ€“ you canโ€™t go wrong with that.

IMG_3652

On the side I had a serving of blue corn chips with some of the black bean dip I made for Easter.

IMG_3657 IMG_3656

Canโ€™t wait to see what I come up with for lunch and dinner tomorrow. Should be interesting!

Earlier today while I was running around like a chicken with their head chopped off, I had some Naturally Nutty Toffee Butter Peanut Butter and Dried Mango Slices.

IMG_3641

IMG_3643

And for dessert I had 4 Girl Scout Thin Mints.

IMG_3659

Crest White Strips Challengeโ€ฆ

Iโ€™ve never been one to obsess over my smile, but lately Iโ€™ve noticed my pearly white arenโ€™t as pearly or as white as they could be.

19035_10100161262260983_5207154_58099050_5457825_n

I tweeted about this dilemma a couple of weeks ago and Ashley (who works for P&G) offered to send me a starter kit of the Crest Whitestrips to bring that extra sparkle back to my smile.

IMG_3662

The 20-day kit guarantees that I will start seeing results in just 3 days.

I plan to put the whitestrips to the test and see what happens! Iโ€™ll do a mini review in 3 days and another at the end of the 20 day trial. Iโ€™ve never used any sort of bleaching kit before and canโ€™t wait to see the results! ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you ever used a kit for whiter teeth? Did you have good results?

1 Molly April 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I use the mouthwash, and it works awesome! Especially paired with a whitening toothpaste.

Your dinner looks like mine! Love adding color as summer is about to hit. Its hard to find good produce in MN in the winter ๐Ÿ™

xo-Molly

2 Jenny April 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I used the strips and loved them! They definetly worked:)

3 Evan Thomas April 5, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I drink too much coffee; I think my teeth are just doomed.
When I left home today, I was sure to clean out the freezer while I was around. Of course, in that case I was eating ice cream and not veggies ๐Ÿ˜‰

4 Ash Bear April 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

My only additional recommendation is to use Sensitive Toothpaste while you’re using white strips. It will help ensure that you don’t have any sensititviity issues especially if you choose to use them daily.

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I used a similar kit before our wedding and it worked wonders!! My teeth were super sensitive though, but it was nothing that a bit of sensodyne couldn’t fix!

6 bobbi April 5, 2010 at 9:36 pm

oh yes for my wedding! They so work ๐Ÿ™‚

7 Emily April 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I’m always so impressed that you can keep so much dessert around and have so much control! Thin mints and Edy’s! I’d be in trouble. ๐Ÿ™‚

8 theprocessofhealing April 5, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I have used strips before and they are awesome!!! I haven’t tried Crest strips though.
You did really good with dinner considering your options!!! I am not nearly as creative as you!

9 Whitney April 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I’ve used them a lot, and I have had great luck with them! They all (for the most part) include the same ingredients so even the cheap off brands work just as well!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Matt April 5, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I drink so much coffee that I think I am pretty much doomed. Haha.

11 amanda April 5, 2010 at 9:53 pm

I love okra!! Btw, yes I have used the whitenin strips before and work great. I try to do it every 6 months or so right after a good dental cleaning.

12 caitlin April 5, 2010 at 9:55 pm

yeah I have used them–they work!

Actually, I use the cheaper Target brand which works just as good as Crest imo!

13 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) April 5, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I’ve never used whitening products before – I have sensitive teeth and worry these would make them more sensitive ๐Ÿ™

14 inmytummy April 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’ve used them before. They work.

15 Emilyeatsclean April 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Isn’t it amazing what kind of random, but yummy concoctions one can come up with when the fridge and pantry are getting slightly bare-looking?!?! Some of my best creations have been made!!!

-emily

16 Brynn April 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I’ve used Crest Whitestrips before and definitely noticed a difference. They made my gums sensitive though. It wasn’t painful but uncomfortable for sure.

17 Karoline Engel April 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Crest Whitestrips are the best! They really do work, if you keep up with them every 6 months or once a year.

18 Emily April 5, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I definitely don’t recommend them for ppl with sensitive teeth! The pain after just using one strip wakes me up in the middle of the night. It’s awful!

19 Emily April 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I’ve tried strips before but the taste of the strips are disgusting..and my teeth are too sensitive. I used the Colgate Iso-active toothpaste and saw a HUGE difference in the coloring of my teeth.

Also, I haven’t been to the dentist in years and went last week. A basic cleaning did WONDERS. I was amazed…not sure how often you go to the dentist though.

20 Hallie April 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hmm if these work out for you I might have to try them. I get regular cleanings and use whitening toothpaste, but my love of tea (and coffee, and sugar) means my smile is not exactly pearly white either.

21 Anna April 5, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I fully endorse Crest Whitestrips! And I actually like the taste haha. at least of the originals. I used them for my HS graduation 5 years ago and I still have the whitest teeth in my family, regardless of coffee/red wine drinking!!

22 Leah April 5, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Any kind of whitening seems to make my teeth far to sensitive to make it work it.

23 Amy @ Second City Randomness April 5, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I find it kinda funny that your empty fridge looks an awful lot like my version of a full fridge… weird.

I am a big fan of the white strips. But I also have really sensitive teeth. So when I’m whitening them for a certain reason, I just do a set every other day for a week or so. Otherwise, I just use them once a week or every other week for a little “touch up”. It seems to work well…

24 Rachel S April 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’ll be interested to read about your results with the crest whitestrips! A few years ago, I tried using the original Whitestrips for about a week but found they made my already-sensitive teeth super sensitive to cold…which is NOT good, considering I love to eat ice cream! ๐Ÿ˜‰

25 Lindsay April 5, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I’ve used them before. I liked the result! I’m just not usually inclined to spend money on them, and I worry that it hurts my teeth.

26 christina c April 5, 2010 at 11:28 pm

i’ve used the rembrandt 2hr kit and its AMAZING. i’ve never used crest strips, but the listerine ones work well too.

27 One Healthy Apple April 5, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I think you’ll have great results with those strips. I’m a coffee drinker and I bought a kit to have around in case my teeth need a little refresher every few months.

Pretty good meal in your freezer! I have a feeling I could live off mine for at least a week!

28 Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) April 5, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I’ve used the strips before, but the trick is once your teeth are whiter you have to work to keep them that way. I was a coffee drinker for so long there was no way I could keep my teeth super white with those.

29 modernation April 5, 2010 at 11:44 pm

A stocked freezer is key for when you can’t get to the grocery store or to supplement when try to use up all the fresh produce in your fridge before going out of town. I need to be better about stocking my freezer. Luckily a trip to Costco today temporarily solved our problem. I used to use Crest White Strips – they work great. Right now I have a cheap drug store knock off and I don’t think it does anything. Time to get some Crest strips!

30 Dee April 5, 2010 at 11:53 pm

How funny! I blogged about my Crest Whitening strips a couple days ago! I’m about 1/2 way done with the complete process, and my teeth are sparkling!

Fun blog!

31 Kim April 6, 2010 at 12:11 am

Actually, I’m using my kit right now! It took some getting use to but now I have to remember that they are still in my mouth! And, that was only after three or four days. You will like them.

32 Crystal April 6, 2010 at 12:47 am

As a student, I see a treasure trove of meals in your fridge! It totally isn’t empty to us starvin’ students, hehe.

I tried a kit for whiter teeth a few years ago. It was a generic brand (Life) by Shoppers Drug Mart. I did notice a difference but I didn’t finish the pack because I simply forgot!

33 ForDGRedial April 6, 2010 at 3:17 am

I am so envious! We can’t get the crest strips over in the UK and when my boss was in NY with work she didn’t manage to find them for me :o(

x

34 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs April 6, 2010 at 3:42 am

I’ve never tried over the counter whitner, though I once had a dentist whiten one tooth when I was little!
I love how colourful your dinner is, very pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

35 Diana April 6, 2010 at 5:04 am

I’ve never used that kind of stuff to make my teeth whiter but that’s only because I can’t find it around here! I totally would if I could. ๐Ÿ™‚

36 Rachel April 6, 2010 at 6:39 am

๐Ÿ™‚ I love how your version of an empty fridge is my version of a fully stocked one! Ahh… the life of a college student ๐Ÿ™‚ You always come up with the most unique food combos. I love your creativity!
I will be interested to read about your experience with the whitening strips. I have always worried that they would make my teeth sensitive to temps.

37 Cara April 6, 2010 at 6:46 am

I’ve used Whitestrips before, and they work well! You’re making me feel like getting a box again…

38 Erica April 6, 2010 at 6:49 am

You always do a good job of coming up with a meal on the fly! I love Crest White strips- they work super well. I used them in College, but haven’t used them since.

39 NYCRunnerGirl April 6, 2010 at 7:47 am

I just bought that same kit! I want to use it prior to my wedding. Hope it works well for you – I’ll be looking forward to that third day review ๐Ÿ™‚

40 lily @ Lily's Health Pad April 6, 2010 at 7:51 am

I LOVE the whitestrips! I’m certain they will help. The only problem is that they sometimes hurt my teeth. ๐Ÿ™

41 Michele April 6, 2010 at 8:03 am

I used them before and definitely saw whitening results, but I couldn’t make it through the entire course of application due to serious sensitivity issues. While they were on my teeth, I’d have shooting pains in my front teeth. However, the sensitivity went away quickly. If you can tolerate the application, you should be fine.

42 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 6, 2010 at 8:15 am

No need to “dig” into the freezer when you’ve got all that ice cream right in the front. Did someone say dinner?

43 whitinspired April 6, 2010 at 8:36 am

The crest whitestrips are amazing…if you stick to the “schedule” anyway…it’s kind of a pain to use them 2 times a day for 14 days. But you do see awesome results!

44 runeatdatesleep April 6, 2010 at 9:04 am

Can’t wait to hear the results of the strips! I used the brush-on whitening stuff before, and I noticed it made my gums recede.

Awesome looking dinner!

45 Sarah April 6, 2010 at 9:39 am

I’ve used the Crest White Strips a few times and always see great results. I even used them right before I got married and was really happy with how white my teeth got!

46 runningwithsass April 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

i couldn’t tell much idfference when I used the strips, but that was a few years ago, now they have so many different new kinds!

47 Sarah April 6, 2010 at 9:43 am

I actually get a lot of enjoyment from creating meals from a bare fridge, so I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your next few meals!

48 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 6, 2010 at 10:06 am

Your freezer looks like mine! I’ve tried to whiten my teeth twice- once with Target strips and they turned my teeth orange, then just the other day with Rembrandt 2 hr trays- all they did was make my teeth spotty. ๐Ÿ™

49 Christy April 6, 2010 at 10:21 am

My husband and I both use the whitestrips 2x a year and we get A LOT of compliments on our smiles. ๐Ÿ™‚

50 Sarah April 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

I’m using the same kit right now!! I’ve found they they really are good and sticky, but you definitely have to brush your teeth afterwards to get all of the goo off. Also, They make my teeth feel pretty sensitive, so I would suggest using something like Sensodyne while you’re using the strips if that happens to you!

51 eaternotarunner April 6, 2010 at 10:35 am

I always want to buy those kits but they are expensive! Can’t wait to hear your review!

52 a April 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

I use Crest White Strips but I don’t think they are the new and improved version .

They work so I keep using them but they do have some cons:
– They make me drool a lot . So much so I have to keep a tissue by my mouth.
– cant talk while using them
Be careful that the bleach doesnt get on your lips. I got a good reaction that way.

53 Meredith April 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

My husband and I did the Crest Whitestrips before our wedding last year and they worked great! I would drool and couldn’t talk while they were in but that’s the only downside. They became noticeably whiter.

54 Amanda April 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I whitened my teeth a lot in college with the brush gel and the strips, and saw great results. I haven’t done it in years and think they have had a lasting affect (aka: probably stripped off some enamel).

55 feetinmotion April 6, 2010 at 1:12 pm

You are so creative girl!! I really want to try those crest strips too!!

56 foodlovingpolarbear April 6, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Those veggies looked so colourful and pretty ๐Ÿ™‚

57 pinkflipflops April 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I have used them one time only. But I want to use them cuz my teeth need a little whitening, but they are soooo expensive!

{ 1 trackback }