Happy Easter Morning!

by Meghann on April 4, 2010

Happy Easter Everyone!!

The Easter Bunny was extra good to me this year. πŸ˜‰

Yes, I’m 25 and my parents give me an Easter basket. And I love them that much more for it!

This year I was spoiled with a dark chocolate Dove bunny

Pumpkin Nut Bread from my favorite local bakery.

And SCONES (!!)

I was happy the Easter Bunny got my hints for that one. πŸ™‚ I’ve had more than my fair share of scones in my day and none of them compare to the scones from Sunrise Bakery in my parent’s hometown. I promise to cherish and savor these over the next week. πŸ˜‰

This was the first lazy morning I’ve had in ages. I didn’t even sleep with my phone last night and was determined to sleep in as late as possible. Apparently ‘ late as possible’ is only 7:30. Oh well, that’s still sleeping in compared to the 5:30am my alarm is regularly set to. πŸ˜‰

My Dad was happy to have a house full of family this morning to cook an extra large breakfast for. All of my siblings are home, plus significant others. He told me it has been far too long to have a large group to cook for and he wanted to pull out all the stops.

For him this meant his famous biscuits and gravy

Eggs

Even Waffles!

I rounded everything out with a fresh fruit salad I cut up myself this morning.

Pineapple, Strawberries, Blackberries, and Oranges! This fruit salad was so refreshing. πŸ™‚

I filled my plate with a little bit of everything.

1/2 a waffle with a generous portion of fruit salad and sugar free syrup. ( I know sugar free syrup is bad, but the real stuff is just not tasty)

1/2 a biscuit with gravy

and one scrambled egg.

After breakfast we got to work on prepping the house for Easter.

My parents are hosting Easter ‘linner’ this year, which means 50 people will be invading our house at 2:30 this afternoon.

The girls got to work in the kitchen prepping appetizers for our guest.

My Mom had originally planned on just having ranch as a dip for the veggies, but when I found some canned beans in the cabinet I thought we could do one step better than that.

I cleaned the two cans of beans and dumped them into the food processor.

IMG_3316.JPG IMG_3317.JPG

I also added a sweet pepper, 3 cloves of grated garlic, cumin, oregano, salt pepper, EVOO, and then I let it go.

Yummy bean dip in minutes! πŸ™‚

We also made some funfetti cookies.

They looked way too good not to sample one. πŸ˜‰

While the girls worked in the kitchen, the boys were working on the main course outside.

Yep, that’s a whole pig. My apologies to any vegan or vegetarians reading this blog, but the pig was just too cool not to post.

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, then you may recall the great pig roast of Christmas 2008 I had blogged about. My Dad and uncles had so much fun roasting that pig, they couldn’t wait to roast another. Sometimes you just got to go with the flow.

Post Ultra-Marathon

As I finished the ultra-marathon yesterday I was in pure agony. My legs were hurting, my back was hurting, and the walk to my car and drive home was pure torture.

Well, twenty-four hours later and I am happy to say my legs feel great! My calves are a teeny bit sore, but that’s it. I was even surprised when I woke up this morning and could run down the stairs with no problems at all. I had even forgotten my legs were suppose to be sore until my family started asking me how they felt.

I don’t know what the secret is to avoiding post-marathon soreness, but if I did know I promise I would share. I stretched yesterday before I got in the car, but that was it. I have also been trying to keep my legs moving as much as possible to prevent my muscles from cramping. Maybe that’s the key? Not sitting still when at all possible? hmmm… your guess is as good as mine!

1 Dori April 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

You are not human! Congrats on your ultramarathon, I am so impressed. Happy Easter!

2 midgetkeeper April 4, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I bet the roasted pig will be delicious! Have a great Easter.

3 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs April 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Wow, your dad is incredible! I’d LOVE it if anyone in my family was as keen on cooking as that, and would lay out a spread that incredible for breakfast…seriously, WOW!
Equal wow at how you’re not stiff – I think keeping moving is they key. When I was doing long distance riding on my horse, we never let them just stand after a ride (40miles ++) – they were walked for ages. It definetly helped reovery.
Have a great lunch! You won’t be short of company πŸ˜›

4 BethT April 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I have been craving sausage gravy like nobody’s business! Can’t get that in SF…would your dad share his recipe? Also, I love your huge family gatherings – insane!

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 4, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Happy Easter!!
Hey, I’m 29 and Jewish and I still get an Easter basket from my mom’s best friend! I can’t wait to hear about how the pig turns out… I’d love to do that someday!

6 thefitbride April 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Yum, I love pig roasts.

My guess is that your legs aren’t sore because you were running on soft dirt and sand rather than a hard road. Either way, good job!

7 Katherine: What About Summer? April 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Hey Meghann, is it okay if I link to this in my post? (let me know!; thanks!)
Katherine

8 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I cannot believe your legs feel great–that’s amazing Meghann! Your legs love you a lot. A drizzle of sugar free syrup is perfectly fine in my book. There are waaaay worst things to eat, right?

9 Diana April 4, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Congrats on the marathon, that’s awesome πŸ™‚
And yay for big breakfasts with the fam!

10 Chloe April 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I love how your family gets such a huge crowd together to celebrate important holidays and eat some great food. It looks like such a blast, and while that pig makes me a bit squeamish I bet it tastes delicious!
Oh, and as a side note – how does your Dad feel about sharing his biscuits and gravy recipe? πŸ˜‰

11 allie April 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

i love bacon and BBQ every now and then, but i think i may have nightmares after seeing that pig! ha! have a great time with your family- makes me miss mine!!

12 Jenny April 4, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Funfetti cookies! I have to try those:)

13 Emily April 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm

What I want to know is, where does one get the fire pit for roasting a whole pig? Do your parents own that/rent/borrow? Crazy. It’s so cool that your dad loves cooking for large crowds–I get so nervous!

14 Beth @ fatbustermack April 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm

That pig is amazing, Happy Easter!

15 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 4, 2010 at 2:04 pm

I’m 25 and my mom got me an Easter basket too πŸ˜‰ Glad your legs are feeling great!! Hope they stay that way! I think moving around afterwards helps a lot!

16 Marina April 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow, 50 people? Enjoy your lunch πŸ™‚
and happy easter πŸ™‚
I’m glad you’re not in pain, great job!

17 marjan April 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hey Meghann,

I remember you had an older post where you baked some treats for Maddie. I want to bake a little something for my girl today, but I cannot find the post! Can you help me out by directing me to the post, or telling me where you got the recipe from? Lots of the recipes I’m finding have weird ingredients I don’t have in my kitchen.

Thanks!

18 Meghann April 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm
19 hundredtenpounds April 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm

My aunt and uncle are BBQ masters. The best pig and lamb I’ve ever had was roasted just like yours. Sooooo good!

20 caitlin April 4, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I am 22 and still get an Easter basket. My sister (who is 25 and married) also still gets one..so no worries! lol

Your breakfast looks amazing! Enjoy the rest of your day.

21 Evan Thomas April 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Definitely never too old for a basket. Happy Easter!

22 Erin April 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm

My mom still puts together an Easter basket for me — even while I’m in New Zealand, she sent a basket of goodies. Love it! πŸ˜€

23 Rachel April 4, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Definitely not too old for an Easter basket. I am 28 and still get one πŸ™‚ I am glad you aren’t sore today – you must have done something right yesterday! Have a wonderful Easter celebration with your family.

24 healthyexposures April 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm

That looks like a killer Easter basket. And Wow – I guess your Dad does pull out all the stops! Everything looks so delicious and fresh. Yum! (Although – this Vermonter’s going to have to pretend you didn’t say “the real stuff doesn’t taste good” when it comes to maple syrup πŸ˜› )
I can’t even imagine having Easter linner with 50 people – wow! You guys must have been working hard in that kitchen, and I love that you decided a bean dip was necessary, too πŸ˜› I’m used to just my direct family for holidays – meaning, 4 of us! haha.
Glad to hear your legs feel great after your marathon, and enjoy the rest of your Easter!

25 Kayla April 4, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I get an Easter basket too – and my parents make one for my husband πŸ™‚ (we get stocking too though, lol). I think it would actually be a little sad for my mom not to do them. The food looks incredible and the pig picture is awesome – even though it freaked me out a little, lol. It’s awesome that you’re not sore!

26 Lauren @ Eater not a runner April 4, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Love the pig roast, how fun!

So awesome that you aren’t sore πŸ™‚

27 whitinspired April 4, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Happy Easter! And I still get an Easter basket too. From my husband’s family AND my family…I’m not complaining either πŸ˜€

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

YUM! All that food looks so good!!!!

29 poiseinparma April 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I’m sure I’m one of many to ask this, but can I become one of your family members, just for the day?! I LOVE that you have that much family to get together – I love extended family get togethers. Yours always seems to have better food than mine though!

30 katie anne April 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm

good LORD! is that your whole family? happy easter! πŸ™‚

31 theprocessofhealing April 4, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Wow your family is huge!! And your dad’s breakfast sounds like the BOMB! YUM! Homemade biscuits and gravy are the best! And that’s awesome your legs aren’t sore!!!!! Amazing and hard to believe but awesome nonethless!

32 amica82 April 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Happy Easter! Those homemade biscuits and gravy always make me jealous. I want some! πŸ™‚

33 Erica April 4, 2010 at 6:47 pm

CONGRATS on the run! That is so so exciting. Sounds like you’re having a wonderful day after. Great Easter gifts and tasty eats. Love fresh fruit salad. Your Dad seems like such a great chef. Enjoy the rest of your Easter

34 Noelle April 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I love your blog, but I think there should have been more of a warning before that pig roast photo. That is seriously the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen. I’m sure you don’t understand because you aren’t vegetarian, but a little warning would be nice to consider next time.

And also, pigs have the same mental capacity as 3 year old children. Fun fact to maybe consider before you imbibe.

35 Ashley April 4, 2010 at 8:07 pm

“Seriously the most disgusting thing” you’ve ever seen? Really? I dunno, I’ve seen horrific car crashes and even surgeries on TV that are more “disgusting” than a pig roast.

36 Ash Bear April 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I’m so happy you were able to celebrate the Ultra Run with a fabulous Easter celebration family style! πŸ™‚ Your pictures make me miss home as I know this is what Easter would have been like if i’d been home. None the less, Easter NYC style was great!

37 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 4, 2010 at 7:55 pm

happy easter!

38 Ashley April 4, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Ahh, I love a pig roast so much that I considered doing one for our wedding reception! We’re not, but it definitely crossed my mind.

39 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Happy Easter! That seems to work for me, keep on moving and not sit too much…. Glad you are feeling good!

40 Emilyeatsclean April 4, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Cooking for 50 people…..CRAZY!!! Breakfast looks delicious! Congrats on the ultamarathon AND not being sore!

-emily

41 Anne P April 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Real syrup isn’t tasty!?!?!?? Have you ever had it???? Pure maple syrup is the best thing ever!

42 Meghann April 4, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I’ve had it and I just don’t like it. It tastes off to me for some reason and not in a good way. I also dont’ like maple flavored things or maple candy.

43 annie April 5, 2010 at 3:39 am

it’s probably because you grew up eating the fake, nasty crap.
you’re missing out big time. too bad.
so glad my parents are health conscious; we only ate “real food”.

44 MelanieF April 6, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I have to agree here. I’m from Quebec, Canada, and we buy 100 % pure maple syrup, and it’s the best. I’ve had the sugar free syrup when I was down in Florida last year, and I have to say it does not compare.

45 Matt April 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm

So I take it you will be running tomorrow πŸ˜‰

46 jennifer April 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Have you tried the 100% pure maple syrup from vermont or canada?! The sugar free stuff is maple flavored but tastes so artificial! If you are worried about the calories, I put only 1 T (50 calories) of maple syrup in a separate bowl and dip my french toast or waffles into it and that’s all I need!

47 Meghann April 5, 2010 at 6:47 am

Trust me I’ve tried the real stuff while I was in vermont and I didn’t like it. I don’t mind not liking it though, it doesnt bother me. πŸ™‚ usually I just cover my french toast, waffles, or pancakes in jam or yogurt anyways.

48 Megan April 5, 2010 at 11:00 am

For what it’s worth, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head regarding avoiding soreness. I’ve run 4 marathons, and BY FAR the most sore I’ve EVER been was after my first, where I got in the car for about an hour straight after teh race, then sat down for dinner, then drove back to school about 2 hours away. All that sitting made me SUPER sore, as opposed to my last three, where I was in San Franscico and Disney World and wanted to walk around and take in the sights. It def is annoying to walk around all day when you want to lay down and watch tv, but it more than makes up for it when you’re ABLE to walk the next day!! πŸ˜€

49 Caroline April 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

I agree that keeping your legs moving is the key to avoiding soreness. I walked around Universal the afternoon following my first half marathon and barely felt it the next day.

50 missyrayn April 5, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I love that your family roasts their own pig. So much fun.

And I wish you could share your secret because my legs are still sore and I’ve been stretching and icing.