more ยป" />

My First Ultra-Marathon!

by Meghann on April 3, 2010

Today’s race was the most challenging, hardest race I’ve ever ran. It was 31 miles of dirt, hills, and sun. I fell, I walked, and may have even shed a tear or two.

I’m not going to lierunning a 50k is hard!

But you know what? I also made new friends, conquered fears, had the time of my life in the middle of nowhere, and oh yeah.. there’s that whole title of ultra-marathoner. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Who cares about that other stuff – today freakin’ rocked!

It all started early this morning with an apple and bagel slathered with almond butter (heavy on the almond butter).

Ashley, Kelly, Caitlin, and I headed to the race site just after 6:00 for the 7:00am start.

Camelbak represent!

If you’ve ever run a trail race then I think you know how important camelbak’s really are. Each 15 mile loop of the course only has 3 aide stations with water. It’s basically everyman for themselves out here.

A group divided:

15 Milers

We headed to the start and at 7:00am we were off!

The Crooms course is made up of one giant 15 mile-ish loop (it’s more like 15.4 miles). The 15 mile group runs the loop once, the 50k run it twice, and the 50 milers run the loop 3 times as well as an extra miles at 6:00 am.

Throughout the day fellow runners wouldn’t ask which race you were going, instead they asked how many laps you were doing or how many laps you had left.

It’s amazing how much had slipped my mind regarding the terrain of Crooms. I could recall the sand at the beginning, but all the hills and steady incline had somehow been forgotten.

This was not a flat course! The first 15 miles went up and down, up and down!

Honestly though the hills are what made it fun! It added a new challenge to the run and kept everyone on our toes. :)

Crooms has a total of 3 aide stations: One at mile 5, another at mile 9, and the last at mile 11.

I LOVE the relaxed feel each aide station has. We stopped and took breaks at everyone and the volunteers working that station were always very helpful on making sure they get you what you need.

The best part is the eclectic amount of snacks they have for all the runners. I saw everything from goo to candy and peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

On my first lap of the course I stuck with Heed at the aide stations, but on the second loop I took handfuls of M&Ms and orange slices when I could. At two of the stations two separate volunteers took my camelbak and refilled it with water for me. I loved that. :)

The laid back attitude did not just go hand in hand at the aide stations either. Runners along the trail weren’t bothered with us passing them or them passing us. They never minded a good chat and were super sweet when we asked to take a photo. :)

Honestly the first lap of the course was a complete blur. The four of us girls stuck together and took out sweet time. We talked, we laughed, and we fought the hills as a team. It was a great experience and once that I was glad Kelly and Caitlin could join us on.

With only two miles left of the final loop, Kelly and Caitlin ran ahead in hopes of improving their time from last year. I stayed back with Ashley and could tell the hills were starting to take their toll on her. We started to walk more than we were running and our paces was drifting lower and lower.

It was almost bittersweet to see the finish line as we completed her first loop and have to run right by it.

See ya in 3 more hours finish line.

This was when things started to get tough.

Mine and Ashley’s running to waking ration was still leaning in favor of walking and Ashley’s urging of me to go on was sounding oddly familiar to that of Gasparilla. This time she didn’t have to fight me to hard on it. She had to do this on her own and deep inside I knew I had to run my first 50k on my own too.

Around mile 17 Ashley and I said our good byes and I was on my own.

As soon as I left Ashley, I paired up with a volunteer who was running the course to collect trash. We ran for a good 2 or 3 miles and talked about running, our love for Orlando, and Track Shack. Turns out he was only volunteering for the race because he had run a 100 mile race the week before! We went up and down some hills and he taught me the proper form to tackle the hills on a trail run. I appreciated the lesson from the seasoned vet!

The volunteer and I split up right after the first aide station of the loop. I kept the strong pace he had left me at, but I could feel myself getting weaker as the miles increased. I was starting to feel pain and I still had well over 10 miles left!

The portion of the race between the first and second aide stations of the second loop were the worst of the whole run. I was completely on my own at this point and the trail was a little creepy at certain points.

I was also second guessing myself on the marked trail I was supposedly following. Thank god for these little streamers to guide me along the way. It’s a miracle I never got lost!

It was such a relief when I hit the third and final aide station of the trail. Hearing one of the volunteers inform me there was only 5 miles left was music to my ears!

The final third of the final loop was also made easier by a couple of new friends I made along the trail. I started running along side two guys who were going my pace and was able to strike up a great conversation with them.

We discussed races, trail runs, and my blog. I love how easy it is to make friends on the trail!

Together the three of us conquered the final hills of Crooms and cheered each other on to the end.

That’s right! 6 hours and 19 minutes after I started, I crossed the line to my first 50k! :)

The whole finish was a little anti-climatic. You walk through the finish corral and that’s it. There’s no announcers, no fans, and no friends and family. You just kind of finish. :/

The good news is I finished 33rd out of 67 runners and was the 2nd female out of 5 to finish in my division ( 20-29 females).

Those statistics were enough to earn me this cool mug.

I can’t wait to drink out of this at work on Monday. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I hung around the finish to drink some water and have a couple of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies on the snack table before heading back to my car.

The walk to the car was PAINFUL!! My legs were NOT happy how I had treated them today. They were cramping and needed ice that I could not provide.

They were also really, really dirty. Run Dirty or Run Home, right?

It was a little after 1:30 when I finished and I was STARVING! I immediately headed to Cracker Barrel for a very belated breakfast. :)

I walked in to Cracker Barrel still in my race outfit, dirty, and covered in sweat. A manager came over to greet me and asked how I’m doing today. I told him I’m tired and he goes ‘let me guess… you only got tp sleep in until 11:00 today.’ I kind of stared at him for a second and respond “You have no idea..” I wasn’t going to try and attempt to explain to him what I just accomplished. lol

My heart was set on pancakes anyways.

Pancakes covered in blackberry preserves – yum!

And two eggs on the side covered in protein.

The meal didn’t stand a chance.

The 90 minute drive back to Orlando by myself was absolute torture! My legs were killing me, all i wanted to do was sleep, and did I mention I was still dirty and sweaty? Yuck!

All I could think about was the nice hot shower waiting for me at my apartment. The drive was awful, but that shower was glorious. :)

After my shower I made myself a smoothie for the road.

• Almond Milk
  • Kale
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Frozen Berries
  • Cocoa Powder
  • Chia Seeds
  • Peanut Butter

Looks gross – tastes awesome. :)

The smoothie held me over until I got to my parents and headed out to dinner at a new place in town.

The hole in the wall restaurant had plenty of impressive veggie items on the menu, including a veggie burger with all the trimmings.

I was expecting a plain ole veggie burger, but what was delivered was gorgeous.

It tasted great as well!

The table also shared a basket of sweet potato fries that I had my share of.

After dinner my Mom, Sister, and I saw The Last Song with Miley Cyrus.

I know Miley Cyrus gets a lot of crap for her acting skills, but I thought she did really well in the movies. I read The Last Song a couple of months ago and thought Miley played an excellent Roni.

Overall I thought this was one of the better adaptations of a Nicholas Sparks book I’ve seen. It was pretty true to the book and enjoyable to watch. I give it two thumbs up!

I ended my night with some Peanut Butter Fro Yo with Reeses.

I still can’t believe I ran my first ultra-marathon this morning!

31 miles? Me? What?

It was an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything else in the world.

1 swimsutra April 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wow, congratulations on such an awesome, fun race! Ultra-marathon… so crazy, in a good way! :)

2 Will Wiebe August 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Congratulations! Loved your story… a couple of questions for you??

How long was your prep training time prior to your 50k? What sort of nutrition program did you integrate as part of your training. I will be running
my first 50k, October 13th, 2012. I’m a triathlete, yet, I know training for a 50k is alot different. How many miles did you run weekly prior to your 50k?

Look forward to hearing from you

3 Christie April 3, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Way to go on the ultra — totally badass!

4 thefitbride April 3, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Yaay for you! That sounds like such a fun race.

Also, 6-19 is my birthday, so it’s clearly an awesome finish time, too.

For the next week, you should just tack on “ultra” to every adjective you use. Like “I am ULTRA hungry,” or “this report I’m reading is ULTRA sucky.”

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 3, 2010 at 11:31 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I’m so incredibly impressed that you did that race! Congrats!

6 Jenna April 3, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Great day!!!

7 Jenny April 3, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Congrats!!! Again, this proves your level of badass-ness! Sorry about the rude cracker barrel employee!

8 caronae April 3, 2010 at 11:35 pm

You are a BEAST girl! Congrats and welcome to the ultra club; one that very few runners will ever join! Make sure you continue eating lots of protein carbs and calories tomorrow. Those pancakes look awesome; great post-race fuel. Warning: you may not be able to walk tomorrow…or the day after that….

9 BethT April 3, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Girl, you are a machine! Way to go.

10 Emily April 3, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Holy shit! 31 miles! You fucking rocked that race!!!!! Very impressive!!!

11 Mish April 3, 2010 at 11:40 pm

It’s amazing what you can do. WOOT!

12 valerie April 3, 2010 at 11:40 pm

you are soooo awesome! congrats. i’m very impressed.

13 inmytummy April 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

That’s awesome. Congrats!

14 Whitney April 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm

That is amazing! How do you find out about all these cool races??

Interesting fact: The screenplay for The Last Song was written for Miley Cyrus and before the novel was written. Miley actually chose the name Roni for the character. I haven’t seen it yet but I’m assuming that is why she did a good job and why it follows the book so well – the process went backwards :)

15 Kendall @ Whisk Her Away April 6, 2010 at 12:40 am

This is why Nicholas Sparks loses all respect from me! Boo.

16 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) April 3, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I’m so impressed Meghann! Way to go! I hope you aren’t feeling too sore tomorrow, that trail looks way intense.

17 Kayla April 3, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Congrats, that is so awesome. Did you just kind of look down at your legs and outfit when the manager made that comment? Sounds like an idiot. Hope you get some well deserved rest tomorrow!

18 Ash Bear April 3, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Great job pretty lady! I’m so proud of you. I hope Ashley made it through in one piece. I can’t wait to hear more about it. I hope your package is there when you get home! :) I met Kath today and we enjoyed lunch in Chelsea Market. I steered her clear of Amy’s :) haha

19 nancyrunswild April 3, 2010 at 11:51 pm

wow you are superwoman! this is incredible!

20 morgan April 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm

While a 50K is hard and awesome, that distance is not an ultra marathon. Fifty plus miles is an ultra. Congrats on the finish!

21 Meghann April 4, 2010 at 7:52 am

Actually the official definition of an ultra-marathon is :

An ultramarathon (also called ultra distance) is any sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 42.195 kilometres (26.2188 mi). There are two types of ultramarathon events: those that cover a specified distance, and events that take place during specified time (with the winner covering the most distance in that time). The most common distances are 50 and 100 miles, or 50 and 100 kilometers.

22 Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) April 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Awesome recap!! You and Ashley are amazing, super proud of you!!

23 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Congrats Meghann!!! You really are a machine now. Mind sharing the hill running tips? There’s a trail here that is a roller coaster and I would love to be able to tackle them with good form.

Also, glad you liked The Last Song, I wanna see it :)

24 Teachermama April 4, 2010 at 12:12 am

Wow! So proud! I’ve been looking forward to the recap all day! You are awesome! Cheers to a relaxing day tomorrow!

25 Lauren April 4, 2010 at 12:13 am

That sounds amazing! Congratulations

26 Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 4, 2010 at 12:20 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That’s a LOT of miles…you should be so proud of yourself!!! I hope you get to relax & recover the rest of the weekend…and drink out of your mug!! :)

27 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) April 4, 2010 at 12:35 am

Congrats congrats congrats!! ๐Ÿ˜€ You are so freaking hardcore! Also? I can’t imagine spending 90 minutes in the car after ANY race, much less a 50k!!

28 Hillary April 4, 2010 at 12:37 am

I could never imagine…never ever imagine. I think I would fall on my butt a dozen times. What an adventure. Congrats!

29 luckytastebuds April 4, 2010 at 1:12 am

You should be sooo proud of yourself!! Just reading your re-cap is getting me so excited!! Thanks to your inspiration, I started on a running plan a week ago and I went from running only 1 mile to being able to do 6! Thank you for continuing to inspire me and showing us all that you a marathon is just a step along the way! :) I’m so excited to see what challenge you’ll be embarking on next! Go Meghann!

30 justjac April 4, 2010 at 1:13 am

Congrats Meghann!!
This is so amazing and cool, what an accomplishment. I love the ‘dominated’ bfast…what a great reward for all that hard running. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Did you go with Kelly and Caitlin or was that the only restaurant in town? lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

31 jo April 4, 2010 at 1:32 am

An ultramarathon (also called ultra distance) is any sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 42.195 kilometres (26.2188 mi).~

32 Lin April 4, 2010 at 1:41 am

holy sh*%! you ran amazingly!!!! you look like you are wearing brown leggings in the pic where you have your shoes off lol. maybe you can brand it marathon couture ๐Ÿ˜›

33 Run Sarah April 4, 2010 at 2:20 am

Congrats! What an awesome experience, and kudos to finishing on your own…I can def see how the trail would be a bit creepy in parts!

34 Lauren April 4, 2010 at 2:22 am

@Morgan: Actually, an ultra marathon is anything above a marathon —

“An ultramarathon (also called ultra distance) is any sporting event involving running longer than the traditional marathon length of 42.195 kilometres (26.2188 mi).

There are two types of ultramarathon events: those that cover a specified distance, and events that take place during specified time (with the winner covering the most distance in that time). The most common distances are 50 and 100 miles, or 50 and 100 kilometers.”

35 Taysa (Water, Butter and Wine) April 4, 2010 at 2:33 am

Congratulations!! What you did is incredible. I’m training right now for my first 5k–I can’t even imagine what it must of been like to run as long as you did today. But maybe someday I’ll get there! :)

36 janetha April 4, 2010 at 2:35 am

WOW meghann. congratulations. you are seriously SO amazing!

37 britchickruns April 4, 2010 at 4:28 am

Wow!! BRILLIANT re-cap – girl, you are INCREDIBLE!!
You make me want to do one ๐Ÿ˜›
You must have such amazing mental strength to have done all that..and gosh I so would have rubbed it in the server breakfast man’s face – if he thought I’d slept in til 11 when I’d run 30miles!? Hahalol
Have a well earned break today!

38 jentrinque April 4, 2010 at 6:51 am

Congratulations Meghann, I’m so glad you did it and are DONE now! I hope tomorrow you can relax and recover, and I know you’re ready to take a break from super long runs for a couple of months. Enjoy!

39 Kelly April 4, 2010 at 6:59 am

A million congratulations on this! I have no idea how you do things like this, but you impress me!

40 Nica April 4, 2010 at 7:18 am

Congrats Meghann on finishing the Crooms. I know it’s tough. I too saw the Last Song…it was pretty good, but as another reader already commented this particular book was created to be a screenplay so it should be a better adaptation. Again, good job! Relax…you’ve earned it!

41 Louise April 4, 2010 at 7:29 am

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!

42 Rachel April 4, 2010 at 7:38 am

Congratulations! You are so amazing, strong, and courageous. It sounds like it was a tough but very rewarding race. I hope you relish the feeling of success for many days to come.
Happy Easter! Hope today is a relaxing one for you.

43 Gena April 4, 2010 at 7:40 am

Way to go, Meghann!!!!

44 Fit Chick in the City April 4, 2010 at 7:47 am

You are amazing! Way to rock it out!

45 Meg April 4, 2010 at 8:07 am

You’re amazing!! Congratulations ๐Ÿ˜€

46 Juil D. April 4, 2010 at 8:08 am

Congrats – you did awesome!!

47 Evan Thomas April 4, 2010 at 8:14 am

Congratulations, ultramarathoner Meghann! Trail running is hard core!

48 Anne P April 4, 2010 at 8:23 am

Good for you, that’s awesome!!! :)

49 shelly April 4, 2010 at 8:28 am

Congrats on the run!! What an accomplishment!!

50 Kath April 4, 2010 at 8:42 am

Wow, congrats Meghann!! It’s so hard to express into words HOW LONG a 50K is!!!! That’s like running across a state!! Hope you have a restful Easter!

51 Gina G April 4, 2010 at 8:46 am

way to go girl!!! you dd amazing, your such an inspiration!=)

52 dianacheung April 4, 2010 at 9:14 am

my legs hurt just from reading this post. Great/amazing/etc run!! Hilarious that the manager was so oblivious to what you’ve been doing..HELLO you had on running gear and look dirty! I wonder if he thought you were homeless…tee hee. Enjoy a relaxing day!!! Rest your legs and eat up!

53 Kathleen April 4, 2010 at 9:16 am

~*CONGRATULATIONS*~ You are amazing and fierce and dedicated and inspirational! 31 miles is a huge accomplishment! Hope the legs feel better now! Enjoy your Easter!!!

54 runeatdatesleep April 4, 2010 at 9:22 am

Congratulations! You are one incredibly inspiring woman! Great recap! :)

55 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie April 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

That’s awesome! I know you are feeling so proud of yourself! Now enjoy at wonderful Easter Sunday and relax!!!

56 Lizzie April 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

Dude, I’ve read your blog for a while and never commented, but I just have to say– congratulations. I can’t believe you ran 31 miles! So inspirational.

57 feetinmotion April 4, 2010 at 9:35 am

Congrats on the ultra! Do you plan on doing more in the future?

58 amica82 April 4, 2010 at 9:38 am

Meghann, you rock! I ran cross country and have done trail runs but never anything longer than 3 miles. The fact that you ran on that type of terrain for over 6 hours is amazing! You should be so proud of yourself! ๐Ÿ˜€ Congrats!!!

59 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 4, 2010 at 9:39 am

wow you never stop! This makes me feel like going for a run this morning ๐Ÿ˜‰

60 Matt April 4, 2010 at 10:00 am

Congrats on the race! That is a major accomplishment!

61 midgetkeeper April 4, 2010 at 10:05 am

Congrats! What an accomplishment.

62 Danielle April 4, 2010 at 10:12 am

Congrats Meghann!! You know…I’ve never even dreamed of running a marathon, let alone an ultra marathon. But you’re inspiring me ๐Ÿ˜€

63 Allison April 4, 2010 at 10:23 am

I hope your legs are ok today. I walked a 50k a few years ago to support my mother. She trained. I did not. While the walk was bearable, the next day I was seriously feeling it and my feet were gross. I ended up losing a toe nail.

64 Ashley April 4, 2010 at 10:28 am

Wow, what an awesome time! I know I don’t have a 50K in me but these trail-run posts really, really make me want to do a trail run! :)

65 Lauren April 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

Good for you, Meghann! Awesome race and awesome finish. Congratulations on placing 2nd in your division…what a great achievement! Your collective body of readers is very proud of you! :)

I’ve run a few marathons, but have not yet considered an ultra…we’ll see if that is in the cards for me one day! You make it look easy!

66 Jes (Self Motivation) April 4, 2010 at 10:44 am

Congratulations on your first Ultra! That is amazing!!

P.S. I love your tattoo!

67 Liz April 4, 2010 at 11:05 am

31 miles?! You are AMAZING. Way to go Meghann!

68 adrienmelaine April 4, 2010 at 11:08 am

You are my hero!

This is the most amazing post- I can’t believe you were still smiling even when you had another 3 hours left! Love it!

69 Marina April 4, 2010 at 11:20 am

Congratulations! You are a real fighter, and amazing!
I admire you with all my heart! I hope you won’t feel too much pain, and that you’ll recover soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

70 maren April 4, 2010 at 11:23 am

wow i cant even imagine running 31 miles! congrats that is a major accomplishment!

71 Martha April 4, 2010 at 11:35 am

Meghann — I don’t know how you run these marathons and ultra-marathons and still look AMAZING in your finish photo! I mean sure, in this one your legs are dirty, but you don’t even look tired or sweaty! Do you have some sort of secret?

Congrats on your new accomplishment!

72 epicourtusf April 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

Wow, Meghann! Awesome job!! Happy Easter :)

73 runnerforever April 4, 2010 at 11:54 am

Congrats on being an official ultra marathoner!!

74 sophicita April 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Congratulations! What a fantastic achievement! I am super jealous!! Hope you are proud of yourself – not many people will accomplish what you have just achieved!

Do you have any tips for beginner trailrunners? I always get so jealous when I see people running along beautiful trails (which are a bit hard to come by if you live in Central London, but they do exist) and am a bit nervous about starting out!

75 Meghann April 4, 2010 at 1:33 pm

This was only second trail race, so I would consider myself an expert! I would say just to take the run slower than normal and to watch your step. Don’t shuffle your feet! that’s how I fell a couple of times :)

76 hundredtenpounds April 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I love the picture of your muddy legs!!! Too funny!

77 Gwen April 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm

You totally are ahhhmazing! WTG! Is that a snowflake on your foot? I have a snowflake tattoo and got really excited :)

78 Meghann April 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Really? Its so rare to find someone else who has a snowflake tattoo! I love mine :)

79 Gwen April 4, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Mine is on the inside of my right calf – I grew up in Vermont and it’s my way of always keeping a little bit of home with me! HEART

80 jennifer April 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Congrats, Meghann! You are AWESOME!!

81 amanda April 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm

you’re totally inspirational. it seriously blows my mind. my legs hurt just from reading about this.

that mug makes it all worth it. :o)

82 Karen w April 4, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Congratulations! So impressive – probably even moreso that you did it on a trail versus paved road. I can’t believe you went road tripping all over Florida after running!

83 Karissa @ CardioFoodie April 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

In case you haven’t heard it enough: Congratulations! Very impressive. I might have to start browsing the state of Texas to find a trail run.

84 Sarah R April 4, 2010 at 4:38 pm

So many accomplishments this year, and it’s only April! You rock girl!

85 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

congrats girl!! you are seriously awesome!!!

86 theprocessofhealing April 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Congratulations!!!! That is absolutely amazing. Girl, you are just… wow. You are SUCH an inspiration to me, I can’t even tell you. I can’t run right now due to a stress fracture and I miss it like crazy. It’s been 4 months… 4 months too long. And will probably be another 4 months before I will be back to running. But things like this, the fact that you just went out and ran a 50k, gives me SO much hope. I know that no matter how long it takes me, one day, I am GOING to run a marathon. And an ultra-marathon? Who knows…

87 Devon April 4, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Congrats on your first 50k! I imagine its the first of many? The trails and ultras have a way of drawing you in: the running, the trails, the people, the volunteers, the aid stations :). Aid stations never cease to entertain me, I have seen EVERYTHING at aid stations, even Crepes at a remote aid station in the mountains. Burgers, pizza, bacon… pretty hilarious. I can’t say I’ve ever eaten any of those things but I have been known to dip into the potatoes with salt.

Enjoy your recovery! And it is pretty awesome you aren’t even so. I think that is one of my favorite parts of ultra trail races, the trails are so forgiving!

88 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 4, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Congrats!!!! I love how you went to breakfast with your muddy legs! Ugh, I’m sure you were dying for that shower!!

89 runningwithsass April 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm

congrats! what a great accomplishment!

90 Hangry Pants April 4, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Congratulations Meghann!

91 ginavan April 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Congratulations! You rock! What an accomplishment!

92 Emilyeatsclean April 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm

CONGRATS!!! That’s about all I can say……what an amazing accomplishment!!!!!

93 kirsten April 5, 2010 at 8:42 am

congrats Meghann!! You’re amazing! :)

94 lauren (athlEAT) April 5, 2010 at 9:39 am

Amazing accomplishment!

95 Whit April 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

AWESOME! You totally rocked it!

96 missyrayn April 5, 2010 at 1:07 pm

WOW!! I’ll say it again WOW!!! I think this is great and I’m so inspired by your running. Reading your stories pushes me to run the races I do.

Congrats Meghann!

97 Olivia April 5, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Amazing! You are a rock star! I can only hope to have a similar accomplishment someday!

98 Danica April 6, 2010 at 5:36 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I LOVED reading your play by play recap – way to push through to the end. Seriously that mug makes it all worth it, I think ๐Ÿ˜‰

99 LeeLee September 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Anything over 26.2 is an ultramarathon. Morgan needs to be schooled. Good job! Congrats, ultra runner girl. I have my first 50 mile in February, 2011. My favorite saying is, “26.2, because 26.3 is too freaking long”.

100 Joy November 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Found your blog through Marie Clare. Sorry for the negativity they associated with your blog. So far I see nothing , but postive.
I just did my first marathon a month ago and looking at your race log got me thinking I’m not such a slag afterall. My times are very close to yours and I’m a 35 year old mom of two. I have my sights set for an ultra marathon in the future, but thought they were only 50 miles. Do you know where in the country they offer these 50k races? Looks like so much fun and a good intermediate race before tackeling the big one.
Thanks so much for the inspiration.

101 bluskyz December 7, 2010 at 11:44 am

What a great review of what looks like an amazing race and a great experience! I’m doing my first 50K next weekend. Your writing inspired me and gave me confidence that I can do this. Thank you! Now off to look up this race…may be on my list of “runs to do”.

102 mike February 6, 2011 at 4:52 am

Go girl

Just about to do my first 50km race in NZ and can’t wait

Kia kaha

103 Steven Romer March 25, 2013 at 7:37 am

Doing my first 50k in 4 weeks — the “Earth Day 50k” in Crystal Lake… but I have never even run a marathon before, just a half-marathon. Great to read yet another successful 50k experience! Inspiring! (I want to make one of those smoothies too — with chia seeds, like in “Born to Run” ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the report — it was really interesting and fun, and it really helps.