more ยป" />

At the 'Rents

by Meghann on April 1, 2010

It’s close to 9:30, I’m sitting on my parent’s couch, and I can barely keep my eyes open – better make this quick!

Why am I at my parents’ house?

Well, that one is easy. I’m heading out of town this weekend for the Crooms 50k (YIKES!) and my parents seem to be the only ones willing to watch Maddie for any period of time. In the past I’ve had one friend send me several e-mails mere hours after dropping Maddie off saying Maddie wasn’t ‘adjusting well’ and would need to be picked up ASAP and after a bad experience a couple of months ago Kelly & Anthony have banned Maddie from their apartment. ๐Ÿ™

Poor puppy.

Good thing my parents have unconditional love for their grandpup (aka devil dog).

The drive to my parents is awful at night, so I decided to stay the night and head back to Orlando in the morning.

In honor of mine and Maddie’s arrival, Chef Daddy was cooking up a storm in the kitchen when we walked in the door.

He had marinated some chicken wings in an asian influenced sauce and baked them at 350 for 30 minutes or so. I’m not the biggest fan of chicken wings (my Dad thinks I’m crazy because I really do prefer the breast of the chicken), but I did try one.

Dad had also steamed some fresh green beans that I loaded my plate on.

The left over guacamole from lunch made a great topping for my serving of roasted potatoes.

For dessert I had a serving of Peanut Butter Cup Fro-yo with some homemade strawberry-rhubarb sauce and a mini Reeses on top. ๐Ÿ™‚

Time to hit the pillow.

Good Night!

Does anyone else have problems finding a dog sitter for their pups?!?

1 Evan Thomas April 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Our dog’s too old to leave with anyone nowadays, but when he was younger it was always the grandparents. It’s true they love him the most–still do ๐Ÿ™‚ Although my other grandparents who don’t see him as much can’t remember his gender after 12 years…

2 Whit April 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Poor Maddie! I would watch her if you lived nearby. [and I’d lie and say she was fine!]

3 Jenny April 1, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I don’t have any puppers, but enjoy being at home!

4 caitlin April 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm

i have trouble TRUSTING anyone with our pups.

5 TorontoGirloutWest April 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Seriously?!?! How much trouble could she cause?!?

I’ve got people tripping over themselves to
dog sit Daisy but she did get banned from work this week! ?

She had been going there for months no problem but this worl a coworker brought het new pup in and it went bad. The puppy chewed phone cords and bit all the furniture. So now all dogs are banned. Tis sad.

6 Beth April 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm

At least dinner looks good. I want a PB Cup!

7 Matt April 1, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I wish my dad could cook like yours!

8 Jessica April 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm

She gets along with other dogs right? Id watch her… Depending on why Kelly banned her lol… You should call me next time ๐Ÿ™‚

9 Becky April 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I just left my dog home with my boyfriend for a few days and it was the first time that he’s been good while I’ve been away. Every other time I’ve left him for more than 24 hours he’s pooped on the floor multiple times and last spring break he tore the cover thing off the bottom of my box spring (the flimsy fabric thing that comes stapled over the wood at the bottom, so now he can stand up under the bed). Some dogs are just…..special.

10 Ashley April 1, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Bo and I do not have any pups but I can understand the stress. My co-worker deals with this almost monthly whenever he goes out of town. At least you’re lucky to have your family nearby. Your package should be on your doorstep when you return from your weekend adventures! ๐Ÿ™‚ The outside may be a wee bit obnoxious as I should never be given a colorful Sharpie and a plain ol’ cardboard box begging for decoration! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 theprocessofhealing April 1, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Awww I can’t imagine Maddie being trouble!!! she looks so precious!!
Our doggie stays with the people we bought her from whenever we go somewhere (they have one of her brothers for her to play with), they are always more than happy to take care of her!

12 Mara @ What's For Dinner? April 1, 2010 at 10:46 pm

YES! We have a 90 lb. Rottweiler, so people who don’t know her are reluctant to watch her… I wish I were closer! I’d love to watch Maddie!

13 healthy ashley April 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

My dog sitter bailed on me TODAY for this weekend.

So, yeah, I’d say it’s a struggle!

See you tomorrow!

14 Ariffa April 1, 2010 at 11:04 pm

i don’t like chicken wings either! it’s a texture thing i think.. have a good weekend!

15 Sarah April 1, 2010 at 11:34 pm

We have to take our dog to the “doggie daycare and pet hotel” because she’s too much for anyone else to handle. She’s also a JRT so she just requires too much attention! She doesn’t even want to be with the other dogs at daycare! So they just let her hang out in the office all day instead, haha. She’s definitely a people-dog.

16 missyrayn April 1, 2010 at 11:53 pm

We have to board our at the vet every time. Leo once bit the person we paid to walk him when we were going to be gone just for the day.

17 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) April 2, 2010 at 12:18 am

I bet you could RUN back to your apartment one of these days instead of drive….like a super marathon or something. Okay, maybe that’s too far ๐Ÿ™‚

18 Lauren April 2, 2010 at 1:31 am

Aww, poor pup.
Good luck with the 50k! Thats so exciting.

19 Lish April 2, 2010 at 1:37 am

I can’t ever say no to my friends when it comes to watching their pets, even the ones that make me all, “NEVER AGAIN!” the whole time, I still say yes. And even when they are little hellions, I try to put a positive spin on things. But then when someone watches my dog and is like, “he was so wonderful!” I’m wondering if they are lying.

My cousin’s lab is the only dog that I dread watching and if possible, when I hear he’ll be out of town, I start with the “oh, man, if I wasn’t ____ I’d so take her!!” thing. She poops huge, huge squishy piles that gag me. It’s bad, bad, bad… so bad… just wrong. Poor grass.

20 britchickruns April 2, 2010 at 3:31 am

My aunt really struggles; she always ropes friends into do it, but they do it once and never again cos her dogs are so naughty ๐Ÿ˜›
I can’t wait for the 50k recap this w/e ๐Ÿ˜€

21 joy April 2, 2010 at 7:29 am

i am so lucky because my sister lives next door so i don’t have to look for dog sitters but for dobby my standard poodle puppy people actually argue over who gets him – a friend called me last week and informed me that my husband and i were going out on a date because she was taking him for the night as she needed her dobby fix…

22 dianacheung April 2, 2010 at 7:47 am

where did you get that peanut butter froyo?! I need it stat!

23 Meghann April 2, 2010 at 8:12 am

It’s Publix Brand Fro-Yo

24 Erin April 2, 2010 at 8:05 am

It can be tough to find a friend or family member willing to take in your dog while you’re gone. I’ve found people are slightly more willing to come to your house a few times a day to let them out. Even more so if you pay a professional! That’s typically what we do because I just feel more comfortable with someone who watches dogs for their job as opposed to a friend or family member who might not have as much experience. Yes, it’s pricey but I feel better when we have to leave.

25 Can You Stay for Dinner April 2, 2010 at 8:13 am

Good luck this weekend with the 50k!!

26 Jenna April 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

Yummm din and dessert!

27 Juli D. April 2, 2010 at 8:36 am

Puppytime is hard – people who dogsit have to understand they have to WATCH the puppy at all times otherwise mischeif will ensue! We crated our pup which was awesome, never any accidents and that way always safe when people left the house. Dogsitters just have to be prepared! Our family/friends have generally been happy to watch our pups.

Good Luck this weekend!

28 Caitlin in MD April 2, 2010 at 8:42 am

Since we got our yellow lab almost 4 years ago, the only person we’ve left her with is my mom. I kind of don’t trust anyone else.

Also – I hate chicken wings, too! Something about the flavor, texture, etc. just makes me gag. I thought I was the only person in America who doesn’t like wings!

29 Kelly April 2, 2010 at 9:24 am

Aww does Maddie have mama separation anxiety?

30 Kari @ Adventures in Newlywedland April 2, 2010 at 9:29 am

You definitely aren’t alone. Our dog is three now. Doggy daycare doesn’t like to board him because he barks incessantly when he’s put in the kennel. Our one try at a dogsitter (for our Honeymoon nonetheless) was an absolute disaster and resulted in her having to buy paint for her walls, a crate for our pup, and convince a friend to leave her dog at her place to keep ours company. We’ve found that my parents are the only ones we can leave him with (but they are three hours away). They too love their granddog!

31 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com April 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

We haven’t had any problems leaving our larger dog to be dogsat, but who knows with the new puppy. I don’t know how he’d react to us leaving.

Maybe there’s a local dog trainer who would be able to help with some of Maddie’s issues in exchange for a little publicity on the blog.

32 Britt @ Runnerbelle April 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

Fortunately my in-laws love our pup, so he usually stays with them. They also watch him during the day a few times a week too. Figure why have him home alone when they are home all day! (they only live a couple blocks away)

Occassionally we all have to go out of town or we have a trips that overlap, in those cases our pooch goes to the kennel. We have a friend that works at the kennel so he gets a little extra special attention. She probably would watch him but they have three dogs of their own and we aren’t sure if they would all get along…. so the kennel it is.

33 Quinn April 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

We often have a hard time, but a good friend who’s very dog friendly has helped us out on many occasions. Unfortunately she’s over an hour away from us now. I’m not a fan of kennels either – so it’s all about finding friends and family who are willing to help. At least you have awesome parents!

Guac on roasted potatoes actually sounds quite genius. Love it.

34 fitandfortysomething April 2, 2010 at 10:43 am

yes we have a hard time finding people to watch Pepsi too ๐Ÿ™

35 feetinmotion April 2, 2010 at 11:03 am

Aww poor Maddie. That’s so sad!

36 Lauren @ Running Examiner April 2, 2010 at 11:28 am

Aww, Maddie just probably misses her mom!

I luckily have found a wonderful dog sitter who is always willing to watch my 10-month-old puppy whenever my boyfriend and I are away. He stays at her house, which features a big backyard and two other dog companions ๐Ÿ™‚ He’s a pit bull mix who absolutely ADORES people and other dogs, so he always enjoys his ‘vacation’!

37 Domesticated-Bliss April 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

Harley, my jack russell, is fine with just people but he does not get along with other dogs. But it’s difficult to find a friend without a dog to watch him. So either he goes to the kennel or to his parents house.

38 hundredtenpounds April 2, 2010 at 11:55 am

I don’t have puppies but i have two cats and I have a friend check in on them when we go out of town. I know they’ll be fine but I worry they’ll be lonely!

39 Laura Georgina April 2, 2010 at 11:57 am

Oh poor Maddie! What does she do that gets her banned as public enemy #1?

When I lived in the states and in England people would bend over backwards to watch my dog Umbi (the family loves him, and so did friends–thought we did use a wonderful dog-sitter if we were away for more than a week). But now that I live in Trinidad, it’s impossible to get a dogsitter. People don’t see animals as pets (it’s all about mean, outside-living guard dogs) and they just cannot get their heads around us having a pet that we play with and love. Any time we go home, we have to use the kennel. They’re ok, but I really hate leaving him there and I know he doesn’t like it, either.

40 mishmashcat April 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Meghann, YES!! I have a Jack Russell mix, but her heart and personality is ALL Jack. It is hard to get someone to watch her because she can be a little terror and has MAJOR separation anxiety. I either try to split time between friends: like J. has her for a day, then S. picks her up (a lot of work for me before I leave), or I found a dog boarder that is relatively cheap (and she lowers her rate for rescues!), but she does it out of her home, so Stella gets to romp around and not be in a kennel. But it’s still a pretty penny and definitely makes me think twice about going away…I thought I found the answer when a neighbor took to Stella and took her for a weekend, but she lost a $50 harness (!!) that I use to take Stella on runs ๐Ÿ™

41 Melissa April 2, 2010 at 6:08 pm

We DEFINITELY have the same problem….we don’t have any family in the area so we always have to take Baylee to the “doggie hotel” when we go ๐Ÿ™