How to Temporarily Fix Ecto for Macs

by Meghann on March 31, 2010

Ecto was NOT being my friend last night. It crashed in the middle of my post and then took forever to open back up. I sort of gave up putting pictures in the post around 10:30, gave up and went to bed.

For those of you who are new to the blog, Ecto is the publishing program I use on my Mac for my blog posts. It’s great when it works because I can blog without internet and can literally just drag and drop the photos into the post. But, when it doesn’t work it’s a pain in the ass! (pardon my French)

If you have a PC I HIGHLY recommend Windows Live Writer for your blogging needs, but since all I have is a Mac at home Ecto will do for now.

Every 3 months or so Ecto starts going crazy. It slows down, randomly crashes and makes me want to throw my computer against the wall. However thanks to the help from a visit to the Mac store a year ago I figured out how to correct it.

Step 1 – Move Ecto from your applications folder/ desktop/ bar/ where ever you have it stored to the trash.

Step 2 – Hunt through your hard drive for anything that had Ecto in the file name and move to the trash. These files are listed in you cache folder, program files, etc.

Step 3 – Re-download ecto

Step 4 – Re-input your login information in to ecto (if you are not prompted to re-login then you did not delete everything. Go back through your files and try again)

Step 5 – Ecto should be working again for another couple of months. Once it starts showing the same signs of crashing or moving at a snails pace repeat steps 1-5 again.

Got it? Good.

I went through the whole process this morning for the 10th time. Don’t you just love technology?

Before my ecto reboot I enjoyed another leisurely 5 mile run sans my Garmin friend. I could get used to running without my little friend. Being disconnected is very liberating and addicting.

On the run I had this wonderful vision of hot peanut butter apples with pumpkin yogurt in my head.

IMG_3084

The vision crossed over into reality beautifully.

IMG_3080

I microwaved a whole chopped apple with cinnamon and Naturally Nutter Toffee Butter Peanut Butter (wowza!) for 2 minutes and then topped with some homemade pumpkin yogurt (plain yogurt, pumpkin, & pumpkin spice), granola, and cacao nibs.

IMG_3082

It was very sweet and very satisfying. The perfect dessert for breakfast combination.

Don’t forget to check out my Shaklee giveaway that was semi-posted last night. You have until 8:00pm tonight to enter!

1 dailygoods March 31, 2010 at 8:47 am

i JUST got ecto! it is easier than posting in wordpress but wish they had windows live writer for us mac lovers!

2 Anna March 31, 2010 at 8:51 am

Eek– sorry for the Ecto problems! Live Writer made my blogging life 10000X easier. Not an exagerration 🙂

3 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 31, 2010 at 9:07 am

I DEFINITELY agree! I hate when I have to use Wordpress at work since we can’t download application.

4 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 31, 2010 at 8:56 am

Technical difficulties are the worst. Looks like you have a handle on it though.

5 Kelly March 31, 2010 at 9:02 am

Wow you would think with how much MAC wants to be the multi media computer for people they would have a better blogging program. That actually really surprises me.

6 Can You Stay for Dinner March 31, 2010 at 9:07 am

Awww sorry to hear about the Ecto troubles! Sounds really frustrating. I have a PC so I’m not familiar with it.

Have a great day!

7 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 31, 2010 at 9:11 am

It’s great when dreams and reality cross isn’t it? That looks AMAZING.

8 Jenny March 31, 2010 at 9:13 am

Glad ya figured out how to rescue your blog!

9 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 31, 2010 at 9:18 am

I have Ecto and have never had a problem….good to know though!!

10 fitandfortysomething March 31, 2010 at 9:29 am

oh sorry for the computer woes! they always make life so crazy and the time we waste-eek!
i may have to check out live writer-sounds great 🙂
have a good day!

11 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 31, 2010 at 9:32 am

Yuhm/dessert for breakfast! LOVE IT 🙂 Computers suck. Period. 🙂
Sara

12 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 31, 2010 at 9:53 am

I can’t believe you wrote this post this morning because my ECTO IS CRASHING AGAIIIIN AS WE SPEAK!! Ughh I don’t have time for this.

13 Michelle March 31, 2010 at 9:56 am

Ickkk sorry you have all those problems with Ecto. 🙁 I’m getting a mac in 2 months (WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO, i’ve been looking forward to it all year!) so these tips will be incredibly helpful. Thank you meghann!!!

14 prettyladycmu March 31, 2010 at 10:02 am

Why oh why won’t Live Writer come up with a Mac version? I might have to do some kind of Windows emulator magic on my Mac just to get LW to run!

15 RhodeyGirl March 31, 2010 at 10:04 am

I have gone back to using Wordpress itself. Ecto was giving me anxiety.

16 Julie @SavvyEats March 31, 2010 at 10:12 am

Ecto has been SUPER slow for me lately, so I have to try this. Thanks!

17 biz319 March 31, 2010 at 10:15 am

I am so not technical – but I did figure out how to make printer friendly recipes – check out my post today if you have time. 😀

18 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 31, 2010 at 10:20 am

I use Windows Live Writer and it sounds just as bad as your Ecto. It’s SO slow, crashes almost everytime I try to use it, and completely freezes my computer. 🙁

19 skinnyrunner March 31, 2010 at 10:41 am

im downloading writer now but it kinda sounds like it sucks too??

20 britchickruns March 31, 2010 at 10:46 am

OooH PB apples, what a fab idea! *adds to list* 😀
I might be getting a mac this weekend – maybe I’ll bookmark this post for when it misbehaves 😛

21 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair March 31, 2010 at 11:13 am

I have a mac now too – just got it about a month ago and I HATE ecto. I didn’t use it long enough for it to crash but when I posted blogs using it my spacing was all messed up!! I would have pictures tight with the words and when I tried to fix the spacing in wordpress or ecto it just would not fix! I would fix it, save the post and then it would be messed up again. Have you ever had a problem like that with it??

22 Julie @SavvyEats March 31, 2010 at 11:51 am

Ugh, I’ve had this problem too! But writing posts in Wordpress is soooo slow and inconvenient!

23 theprocessofhealing March 31, 2010 at 11:18 am

Sorry about your Ecto problems, I’m a Window’s Live Writer girl myself and I LOVE it!
Yum those apples sound awesome! I microwave apples a lot but I’ve never added peanut butter.

24 adrienmelaine March 31, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I just downloaded ecto in hopes of an easier way to post- just looking at it confused me- is there a spot online where you can find a tutorial? a good tutorial?

25 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 31, 2010 at 12:04 pm

UGH i was so pissed at Ecto last week that we “broke up”. I downloaded MarsEdit and have been using it since… it works pretty well and I’m considering paying for it! i may try this ecto hint, though it seems to be a pain and very un-Mac-like!

26 Meghann March 31, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I had problems getting marsEdit to upload posts, but it looks like it works pretty well with your posts. I had tried Blogo a while back and HATED it. It distorted my photos.

27 missyrayn March 31, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I wish I could download windows live writer on my computer. But alas it is my work computer. Eventually I’ll have a personal computer and do so.

I love your breakfast. It looks divine and like something I eat quite regularly.

28 fromatopink March 31, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Definitely need to look into Ecto for my Mac… I blog from Wordpress now. Thanks for sharing some tips> 🙂

29 Lizz March 31, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Thanks so much for your tips! I’ve been using wordpress and have been contemplating getting Ecto. I’m oddly anxious about crashing my computer so I always take baby steps when it comes to new software etc. It’s really helpful to get advice from users!

30 Matt March 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I love windows live writer! I actually want to try a mac though…

31 Charlotte April 1, 2010 at 4:16 am

Thanks for the Live Writer suggestion. I am going to give it a go!

32 Paul September 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Any news on Ecto? It seems like it’s dead now, even the support forum isn’t working. It’s sad since it’s really still tops for what it does, but it needs an upgrade, badly.

33 Nick - Lazygamer.net January 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm

THANK YOU.

Ecto has been slow for months and I just didn’t know why. After specifically removing the files from the Library/Application Support folder my start up time just jumped from around 30 seconds to literally half a second.

You rocked my world today.

34 Zalmy August 4, 2013 at 5:51 pm

thank you so much!! I was going nuts. I’d open Ecto, write a few words and it would crash. Every time.