Leaving the Garmin Behind

by Meghann on March 30, 2010

I think I might have experienced a first this morning – waking up sore after yoga.

Ouch.

Apparently I worked some muscles in my back I forgot I had. Just another sign that the class from last night was awesome and I must find a way to take it again and again (without blowing the bank).

Another first for me – well a first in a while – was running without my Garmin. The battery was dead, so for the first time in who knows how long I left it behind.

Is it weird how oddly freeing it felt to run without the Garmin? I felt lighter almost. I wasn’t constantly checking my pace or worrying about how much farther I had to go. It’s not like I need the garmin to calculate the distance around my complex anymore – I have each route breakdowns memorized by heart. I just tried to lose myself in the run and it felt great.

I need to run without the Garmin more often. Maybe, I’ll put it aside in this two month marathon training hiatus I have coming up? We shall see. 😉

On Sunday I randomly picked up some Muesli from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Before my run I mixed a 1/2 cup of the Muesli with some yogurt and almond milk and when I was ready for breakfast I topped the bowl with Kashi Honey Sunshine, Strawberries, and Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter.

IMG_2987

The muesli became a big pile of mush once it was soaked, but when you add the crunch of the other cereal and the sweetness of the strawberries it wasn’t that bad.

IMG_2979

I think next time I am going to treat the muesli as I would granola and just use is as a cereal or yogurt topping.  I actually read somewhere (I forget where) that you should treat granola –or muesli in this case – as a condiment to yogurt or cereal bowls. You want it to compliment the bowls, but not have it be the main event. I really liked that analogy.

IMG_2985

What other items out there do you tend to think of more as a condiment instead of the main event? (excluding traditional condiments!)

1 britchickruns March 30, 2010 at 9:01 am

It’s not quite the same thing, but I think of pasta and grains and things like that as side dishes, not the main dish. So I’d never have ‘a plate of pasta’, I’d have loads of stuff, with pasta on the side (if it’s stuffed pasta, not so much cos it’s a protein and a carb). Maybe that’s actually normal!? I just go by what my family do, and they’ll have pasta as THE dish, which I hate!
I agree about museli/granola being a side thing, not the main though.
Well done on running sans Garmin – I struggle with that!! Have a good day 🙂

2 Molly @fuelherup March 30, 2010 at 9:06 am

That’s my mind-set too. In Italian class, we were watching a movie in which two Italian brothers start a restaurant in America. In one scene there’s a couple who are angry because their risotto doesn’t come with a side of spaghetti. I feel like that’s exactly what America does to classic dishes!

3 sarah (the SHU box) March 30, 2010 at 1:16 pm

i’ve seen that movie! and loved it! called big night maybe?

4 Jenny March 30, 2010 at 9:05 am

I think of pb cups as a nice dessert condiment to just about anything:)

5 Jessica March 30, 2010 at 9:18 am

RE: Leaving your Garmin: I’m starting to feel the same way with my Zune player. I would forget to charge it and show up for a run with it dead. I would have a moment of panic, but told myself that I can run with out it. Sure enough, I finished my run just fine. In fact it was a little bit easier without the long headphone cord flapping about and distracting me!

I think fruit for me has changed from the “main event” into a condiment. Especially now that I live by myself, I need to think of different ways to use up the fruit so that it doesn’t spoil on me!

6 pursuitofhealthfulness March 30, 2010 at 9:31 am

I’m a vegetarian, so this doesn’t apply to me, but I think it is important for everyone to think of meat as more of a condiment and less of a main dish. Plates should really be loaded up with fruits and veggies, not a hunk of meat. It is also important to stress this doesn’t mean sacrificing protein; even non-vegetarians can and should enjoy other protein sources like bean, grains and nuts!

7 Evan Thomas March 30, 2010 at 9:38 am

I like to think of meat as more of a condiment or a flavorer and base a meal on vegetable that just soak up the meat flavor.

8 andrea. March 30, 2010 at 9:59 am

I totally agree with this! Just a little bit of chicken as one of many salad toppings, or one slice of bacon in a scrambled egg and veggie dish – it really adds lots of flavour and depth. You really don’t need a whole plate of chicken!

I also think of dried fruit as a condiment – a little goes a long way!

9 Beth March 30, 2010 at 9:40 am

I was at Whole Foods last night but couldn’t decide on which granola to try from the bulk bins!

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

I usually use landmarks on my run to guide me since I don’t have a GPS watch.

11 katherine March 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

Running sans Garmin can be SO liberating, especially when it’s combined with a good running buddy. There’s nothing I love more than a nice mosey with a friend!

12 Angel31@keepingslimandgettingstylish March 30, 2010 at 9:53 am

I totally agree with the idea of having the muesli or granola as the ‘side show’ to yoghurt or fruit. I tend to try and base my meals around fruit, veg and some basic whole grains such as oats with other more energy dense foods not being the main focus of the meal. Hence why I love stir fries and big salads! Love your blog by the way, I’m quite new to it but enjoying it very much x

13 Danielle March 30, 2010 at 10:00 am

I would have anxiety if I left my Garmin behind…I’ve become so attached to it! Maybe I should try it though

I like the granola analogy!

14 Kelly March 30, 2010 at 10:00 am

I’ve only run with mine a few times since I’ve been injured, but I can see how it would become addicting. Those few times I was constantly competing with myself.

15 skinnyrunner March 30, 2010 at 10:00 am

im under the garmin’s spell… i couldnt leave it at home. but i have been checking and looking at it a lot less during runs.

16 Whitney @ Lettuce Love March 30, 2010 at 10:01 am

I really like running without my Garmin sometimes. It is freeing. I also love to run without my iPod every once in a while. It feels so good!

17 Anna March 30, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love running without my Garmin, but I can definitely see why you wouldn’t want to during a serious training time.

18 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

I agree with Evan above, I now think of meat as being more of a side dish than the main attraction. Give me my veggies!

19 Christy March 30, 2010 at 10:14 am

I look at pasta and meat/poultry as a condiment and focus on the veggies as my main event. It has really made a huge difference in my energy levels.

20 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 30, 2010 at 10:21 am

I love running without my garmin! It’s so true, it’s ‘freeing’ which is SO amusing!
Sara

21 DiningAndDishing March 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sometimes I feel the same way when I leave my iPod behind on runs. If I have it on, I’m constantly thinking about how much more time until the track is over or what to put on next to keep me motivated. But with nothing but the sounds of my breathing I can just zone out and enjoy the work-out. It’s especially nice to do that when running outside!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

22 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

i would definitely say granola is probably the biggest thing that could be a main event, but i just top my yogurt or oats with a little bit instead. i also try to do that with dinner sometimes….make the veggies the main event and have a small “side” of meat!

23 theprocessofhealing March 30, 2010 at 10:45 am

I actually like granola a lot but I agree, it must be a condiment because it’s so calorie dense. Like another commenter, I think of meat as a condiment and not the main dish.

24 Run Sarah March 30, 2010 at 10:56 am

I sometimes use chocolate as a condiment ie added to soy ice cream or yogurt to make a bulkier dessert!

25 Anne P March 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

Meat! 🙂

26 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 30, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I always use my granola or cereal as a condiment when pairing it with yogurt and fruit. I sprinkle it on top.

27 Catherine March 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I like to think of pesto as more of a condiment than a full sauce just because it’s so rich and heavy.

28 Matt March 30, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I am going to yoga tonight and it will be my first time. I bet I will be SHOT tomorrow!

29 sarah (the SHU box) March 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm

i’m sore from yoga yesterday, too 🙂 hip flexors + shoulders!

30 Lauren L. March 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I actually LOST my Garmin this past weekend after I did a 10K race. It was pouring rain so I had stuck it in my pocket so that it did not get waterlogged and as I was headed back to my car, I did not have my pocket zipped and it fell out. I retraced my steps but couldn’t find it, and I was DEVASTATED. I did my first run yesterday without it and did okay because I just reverted to the routes I ran prior to having the Garmin. Enjoy the time without it – I’m saving for a replacement!

31 Kate March 30, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I think I try to make veggies and fruit more of the main event, but that doesn’t always happen.

32 missyrayn March 30, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Meat and cheese are definitely condiments. And I try to treat nut butter like a condiment. Helps me to manage them better.

33 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) March 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I don’t have a garmin but I have run without my watch a few times and I always enjoy it a lot more (especially during races)!

34 allie March 30, 2010 at 9:43 pm

i make a point to leave my garmin at home once a week and run with my old school timex. although i couldn’t imagine life without my beloved garmin, i can also get a little number crazy, so it’s a nice reminder that i run for fun.

35 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Once my Garmin died 1/4 of the way through my run and I must admit it was nice not knowing my pace. It was a slow day because it was so hot but I was glad to just be moving and enjoying the sunshine. It sort of lets you enjoy the run for what it is ya know?