more ยป" />

Don't Stop, Make it Pop

by Meghann on March 28, 2010

Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy

Just rocked 16 miles, I’m gonna hit this city

Woop Woop!

The original plan was to run the 16 miles with Ashley before she had to be at work at 10:00am, but when she texted me at 5:00am saying she had to bail, I reset my alarm and enjoyed another hour of well deserved sleep.

Trust me, it makes a big difference starting a run in the daylight rather than the dark. ๐Ÿ™‚

Before I headed out the door I fueled up with a bagel thin, Naturally Nutty Cinnamon Vanilla Sunflower Butter, strawberries, and dark chocolate chips.

The trailhead I had my heart set on this morning was only 3 miles from my apartment. I’m not sure why this has never occurred to me before, but instead of driving the short distance this morning – which I have done in the past – I decided to run to the trail head.

Since I had so many miles to cover this morning the extra 6 miles to and from the trail was a welcomed addition to my usual routine. For some reason knowing I only had to run 5 miles on the trail before turning around instead of 8 made me feel a lot better.

The run itself was great. Just like last week it was 100% mental on whether I could cover the distance or not. My body was great and found a comfortable rhythm that kept me chugging along. My head was the only thing that had to be reminded I could do this.

What am I going to do when I have to do almost double this distance next weekend? Yikes! Luckily I will be running the first half with a big group of friends and Ashley will be with me for the second. Plus it’s a trail race which means it will be very chill with no pressure. If Ashley and I are already promising each other if we need to walk, then we will walk. ๐Ÿ™‚

My post-run breakfast was epic. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My heart was set on a smoothie. A delicious, rich smoothie that would cool me down and fill me up. ๐Ÿ™‚

In the blender

• Frozen Strawberries
  • Spinach
  • Almond Milk
  • Peanut Butter
  • Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood Powder

Chocolate + Peanut Butter + Strawberries = my favorite smoothie combination. It’s like drinking dessert. ๐Ÿ™‚

With my ‘dessert’ I had two thin slices of Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread and an egg white puff.

This meal was just what I needed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bondi Bands Revisited

My experience with Bondi Bands haven’t been very good in the past. I purchased an adorable multi-colored Bondi Band at the Disney Expo back in January. The head band refused to stay on my head at the race and despite multiple attempts at wearing the headband several ways on runs, during cycling, and even during yoga, the darn thing wouldn’t stay on my head!

I’ve heard so many great things about Bondi Bands and couldn’t understand why i was having such trouble wearing mine. Last night Ashley – who just started working with the Bondi Band company – took me aside and explained it all.

Turns out there are two different types of Bondi Bands: the fashion bondi bands that are thin and come in fun designs & colors and the running bondi bands that are a bit thicker and have a grip to them.

See the difference?

Turns out the one I had purchased was of the fashion variety. Ashley was sweet and gave me a sample of their running version to test and compare.

I promised her I would test it on my run this morning.

I’m happy to report 16 miles later and the bondi band never budged! Success!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lesson learned: When you shop for a Bondi Band at your next race expo be sure to feel them out. If they feel thin and light, they are probably NOT going to stay on your head, but if they feel thick and grippy, then you are good to go!

If you have any more questions be sure to contact Ashley at ashleysickles@gmail.com She knows everything there is to know about them! ๐Ÿ™‚

1 Jenny March 28, 2010 at 11:25 am

WOW- I did 9 yesterday, I can’t imagine 16!!! Amazing:)

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 28, 2010 at 11:27 am

I can’t believe you just busted out 16 miles. Well, I can but you know what I mean. I agree, running is definitely a test of mental strength. I find that when I have something that’s been bothering me or just need to get thoughts sorted out, my runs fly by.

3 tramey1 March 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

You rockstar!!!!!!! The PT finally gave me the go to start running again. This will be the first run I have done since FLORIDA and the Gasparilla Half. I have missed running more than LIFE and cannot wait. Hopefully the knee will hold up.

I now have Kesha in my head. lol

4 Lexi March 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

Congrats on the 16 miles. You’re going to rock your upcoming race! I love a good, gripping headband. I have all of these little bits of hair that get wild when I start to sweat. Bondi Bands are new to me. I may need to look into them.

Have a relaxing Sunday!

5 Jessica @ Dairy Free Bety March 28, 2010 at 11:29 am

Way to go girl! I wish I could run that far!!

I almost ordered bondy bands a few weeks ago, but I hadn’t heard anything about them, so I decided not too! Maybe I should check it out again!

6 musingsofthegranolagirl March 28, 2010 at 11:37 am

16 miles? Yahoo!!!!

Have a great rest of your weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

7 theprocessofhealing March 28, 2010 at 11:41 am

Ooo cool headband!!! When I was running, I tried out all sorts of headbands but I could never find one that would stay on my head. I would love to have one of those!

8 Sana March 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

Well done! Running is mental! I am a beginner and my 2 miles yesterday seemed impossible but I chugged and talked myself along ๐Ÿ™‚

9 britchickruns March 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

Way to go on the run! I love the feeling afterwards – 16 miles feels so good!
I also loovee that smoothie combination, and how thick yours looks – thick smoothies are th best ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Fancy March 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

Hey Meghann!

I love your blog, I think you are adorable!

Quick question…I just bought a little packet of the Amazing Grass for the first time. If I don’t want to use the whole thing at once, do I have to referigerate the rest of the packet? How do you seal the packet?

Help—just have no clue how to store the leftovers to have at another time? Thank you so much ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:19 am

I usually use the whole packet of Amazing Grass. I would suggest storing it in a plastic baggie?

12 Amy March 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Wahoo on the 16! I’m due for an 18 miler on Tuesday. Since you’re also a “marathon addict,” I’m sure you’ve experienced the ravenous appetite that can follow long runs. Have you had serious sugar/junky carb cravings during your training, and how do you handle it? I’d like to listen to my body, but I think it’s sending the wrong message when it craves marshmallows, chocolate-dipped cookies, and captain crunch! (doesn’t help that I’m visiting my parents who have every junk food known to man lying around the house!)

13 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:21 am

My body craves sweets like nobody’s business, but I try to train it to be satisfied of ‘healthier’ versions of sweets to satisfy the cravings or I give the sweets to mybody in moderation. Like I’ll have a smoothie after my run with the pieces of chocolate chip pumpking bread. I also make sure to give myself dessert every night and instead of going for chocoalte at work I try to have dried fruit instead.

14 Kelly March 28, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Nice job on the 16 miles! Love that headband!

15 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Awesome run!! I love the headband too, super cute.

16 inmytummy March 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I saw those headbands at a race expo last weekend. I was tempted, but didn’t buy anything.

17 katiek March 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Last night looked like a fun time! I love trying new foods and new cuisines.
Question about your run this morning- I was a swimmer in college so there was always a variety to keep it different.. as in i would never swim for 2.5 hours w/o out stopping, changing strokes, increasing speeds…in running i know it can be the same and can mix it up but when going for a constant pace do you ever find yourself getting bored?

18 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:23 am

I tend to zone out during my runs. It’s my thinking time. I’ll think about what needs to get done, I’ll think about the past, and I’ll think about the future. I try to run with friends as much as possible so we can keep each other entertained as much as possible, but mainly I think ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Run Sarah March 28, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Congrats on rocking the awesome run! I need to think about getting a Bondi Band – it rains so much here I think they’d be great for keeping the rain from dragging my bangs over my forehead!

20 Julie March 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm

awesome run! that headband is perfect for you “marathon addict”! haha I hope they are at the next expo i go to!

21 Erin March 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I love that style of headband and definitely need to track one down. Usually I use the cheap plastic ones but they let too many hairs out and that distracts me.

22 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm

LOL love the Ke$ha references. haha

That smoothie looks excellent. I will have to try that combination out!

I need to check bondi bands out. I hate headbands that move around or fall off during a longer run!

23 Sammi March 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

They need to combine the two and make fashionable thick ones!
I saw Ashley Friday at the Monument 10k expo in Richmond, VA and she said she was going to try to hook you up with one of the non slip ones! I’m glad she was able to! I was worried about buying one from her at the expo because I remembered the review you did, but she explained the difference to me and I ended up getting one that has “10k” on it. They aren’t as cute but mine stayed on great!
Did you notice a difference in the sweat on your face after the run? I sweat like crazy during spinning classes so I think I’m going to try wearing mine at my Wednesday night class to see if I notice a reduction in sweat on my face!

24 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’m not a big sweater so I can’t see I saw too big of a difference

25 Matt March 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Great run! You will rock the race next weekend ๐Ÿ˜‰

26 missyrayn March 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I need something like that for my hair to stay out of my face. I hope my half marathon expo has them.

27 shelly March 28, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info on the Bondi Bands… I ordered 3 today!

28 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Girl – you ROCK!!!! What an awesome run!!!

29 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Awesome run – I am working up to a 10K distance right now- I love it.

30 runningwithsass March 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

way to go on the 16 miles! I have also heard great things about bondi bands! hhmmm

31 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 28, 2010 at 7:00 pm

yeesss! now i can get one and trust it will stay!
sara

32 Katherine: What About Summer? March 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Not only did the band stay in place, it looks like you’re not even sweating! do you drink water when you run?
Katherine

33 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:25 am

Yes, I drank a whole camelbak today which is about 1.5 liters, plus a couple of stops at the water fountains on the trail.

Derek always comments how i don’t sweat when i run. I’m not sure why I don’t sweat.

34 Cristina March 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Wow, nice job on the 16 miler! I just found this blog through Oh She Glows. I kinda had the same question as Katherine (above me), what did you eat/drink during the run (if anything)?

35 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:27 am

I usually try to eat sports beans during my runs, but the bagel & nut butter combination kind of sat in my stomach during the whole run and the thought of eating anythign was not appealing at all. I know, I know – bad runner. I did drink a whole camelbak of water + two huge glases of water once I got back in addition to my smoothie.

36 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 28, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I bought a Bondi Band at the expo for the Shamrock Marathon. They didn’t have any thick ones that I saw. They had fashion ones and thin moisture wicking ones. I wore mine during the race and it was practically falling off by the end (the 8K).

37 Abby March 28, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Oops – I accidentally sent that last note (from GOALS ARA) from my adventure racing team blog instead of my individual one. Would you mind deleting it? I don’t want to get the comments mixed up. I’ll post it again now ๐Ÿ™‚

Just wanted to wish you luck on your race next weekend – I ran my first 50k yesterday on some crazy Shenandoah trails and had an absolute blast. Can’t wait to read about yours!

38 Meghann March 29, 2010 at 8:33 am

It’s deleted ๐Ÿ™‚

39 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 28, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Ahhh I wondered what the fuss was about with them– I definitely have the “fashion” ones too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

40 Gabriela (froyolover) March 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Hahahahaha!
Love this song and loved this post, Meghann!
Have a great week, hun!