Back2Back

by Meghann on March 26, 2010

It’s Friday!!!

Yippee!!! 🙂

After two straight weeks of Friday morning cycling, I decided the time had come to try the back2back I’ve been eyeing everyone else doing for myself.

The back2back work-out starts with a 45 minute group power class (my gym’s version of body pump) and ends with an hour long cycling class. I’ve been eyeing several other cyclist –including the instructor!- do the back2back combo and wanted to give the combo a try for myself.

I knew I would burn a ton of energy taking both classes, so I fueled up with a generous piece of pumpkin chocolate chip bread and packed some dried apricots to consume after cycling and before showering. (no pictures)

The power class was AWESOME! I’ve never taken any form of body pump or equivalent before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I love the total body work out the class gives you. My whole body felt fatigued as I left the class and I can’t wait to go back for more next week.

Going straight from body pump to cycling wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. I hopped on the bike and just gave it my all. The instructor pushed us hard and I left drenched.

I really enjoyed the back2back classes and completely understand why it’s so popular. It’s a great way to get a total body work out and to see how far you can push your body to it’s limits. Loved it.

The dried apricots were perfect as quick post work-out snack. I nibbled on two before hopping in the shower and they were able to hold off my hunger until I made it to work and dig into the breakfast I had packed the night before.

IMG_2543

IMG_2540

IMG_2548

Cycling always leaves me ravenous. I kept that fact in mind as I packed my breakfast with a number of filling elements that I knew would cure any level of hunger.

IMG_2552

I toasted the last two slices of my challah bread and slathered it with a sample of Sun Butter that has been in my pantry for a while now.

IMG_2554

The sun butter was ok. It sort of reminded me of Barney Butter. The flavor wasn’t as intense as the regular roasted almond butter that I prefer, but in a pinch it would work.

IMG_2545

Peach Chobani with Fiber One Cereal.

IMG_2557

The LAST of my strawberries from Strawberry Festival ( well, besides the one I froze) and pineapple.

IMG_2555

Such a fun breakfast to eat! The perfect post back2back work out meal. 🙂

So Forgetful…

This may be TMI, but I’ve had a few readers comment whether this has happened to me yet so I thought I would address it.

Basically I made the rookie mistake this morning by forgetting to pack a clean pair of undies. I did the same thing last week, but was able to remember before I got to the gate at my complex and still had the option to turn around and grab a pair. However, this morning i didn’t realize it until I got out of the shower.

Damn.

After much debate – co-workers plug your ears! – I decided to just go commando. I HATE going commando, but you got to do what you go to do.

I’ve learned my lesson and will just have to stock up on clean undies in my gym bag so I never forget!

Have you ever left an important piece of clothing/ styling tool/ toiletry item/etc. behind when you had plans to shower at the gym? How did you get by?

1 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 26, 2010 at 9:39 am

Sad that the challah is gone 🙁 That’s the best bread ever! I used to forget clean undies and socks all the time, and as long as i wasn’t wearing a skirt, I’d just go without!

2 megzzwinsatlife March 26, 2010 at 9:42 am

haha my gym bag has undies, socks, hair ties and a sports bra.. I always end up forgetting something!!!

3 kristen March 26, 2010 at 9:42 am

I have forgotten extra underwear on days that I’ve run at lunch time…after doing this a couple of times and had to make the decision of a commando workout versus commando rest of the day, the commando workout is the winner. (I know that some people always go commando working out…I’m not one of those people)

I once forgot a bra when I was biking to work and had to wear a sports bra all day…it was a little weird.

4 britchickruns March 26, 2010 at 9:44 am

Wow girl, you are awesome doing the back to back thing, that beast of a workout sounds hard! There’s nothing like the feeling after though 🙂 I wish my gym did stuff like that – they don’t even open til about 9, let alone have classes!!
I’ve forgotten underwear before…it’s very annoying!
Have a good day 🙂

5 Jes March 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

Today I forgot an extra pair of socks. I have to wear closed-toed shoes in the lab, so I had no choice but to wear the socks I ran in… which were wet from a puddle. Ick! One time I forgot pants!!! Luckily my boyfriend had not left home yet and works near me, so he was able to drop them off at my work. I went to work in my gym clothes.

6 Jamie in Arkansas March 26, 2010 at 9:45 am

I go commando everyday! It’s how I roll. 🙂

7 Madeline - Greens and Jeans March 26, 2010 at 9:48 am

I have forgotten underwear before and unless I’m wearing a shorter skirt, I just go without and hope there are no strong breezes… I have also forgotten deodorant, but that DEFINITELY results in me running to a CVS or something to pick one up!

8 Jessica March 26, 2010 at 9:50 am

I once forgot to pack a bra when I spending the night at my fiancee’s house. I had went straight from yoga to his house and realized in the morning as I was getting that I had no bra. Therefore, I used my sports bra that I wore to yoga instead. It didn’t look too bad, but one of my co-workers did ask why I was where what looked like three shirts (I had a cardigan which was gray , a sleeveless shirt which had numerous colors on it, and then my black sport bra)! yeah, she had a chuckle when I told were why.

9 Jenny March 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

I forgot shampoo! And that’s something people can see- one day of commando may be empowering:)

10 Laura March 26, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’m not proud that I do this, but I often forget clean undies for after workouts. It’s not that the undies are *dirty* per se, mostly sweaty, so my solution is to pop into the sauna before I start my shower, and hang my sweaty undies off a ledge near the heater. NO ONE ever goes into the sauna, so I don’t feel too embarrassed about it, plus my shower is super quick anyway. But by the time I get out, my undies are dry and toasty! Works like a charm every time.

11 caronae March 26, 2010 at 9:54 am

Despite how often I have to pack a morning gym bag, I do occasionally forget clean underwear or socks. I refuse to wear sweaty clothes to work or class so I end up going commando sometimes too. It’s totally normal sometimes, I think!

12 Katie March 26, 2010 at 10:01 am

I once forgot to pack my sports bra when going to the gym straight from work. I probably could have driven home to get it, but it was late, I was tired, and just wanted to get my run over with so I ran in my regular bra. It worked in a pinch, but I will never do it again! 🙂

13 Beth March 26, 2010 at 10:03 am

Damn that sounds like a heck of a morning workout! I’m very forgetful in general so I usually plan going back to my house after my workouts (and luckily have a gym upstairs!) but one time I went swimming at the pool and forgot undergarments of any kind so I just dried my bathing suit off in the drying thing, and then put it back on under my clothes… haha it worked i guess.

14 Paige March 26, 2010 at 10:05 am

I’ve totally done the same thing re: commando. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!

Also, not sure if you realized, but the Sunbutter is actually sunflower seed butter, not almond butter. So that’s probably why it didn’t taste like you were expecting it to

15 Meghann March 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

I knew it was sunflower seed butter – I was just stating that the taste reminded me of barnery butter and out of any nut (or seed) butter i’ve ever tried regular roasted almond butter is still my fave. The sunflower seed butter wouldn’t be something I would go out of my wait to purchase.

16 midgetkeeper March 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’ve done it before, you just have to roll with it.

17 Quinn March 26, 2010 at 10:09 am

Done that one before too! I actually left my black heels at home today, so had to decide between black flops (shower shoes) or sneaks – yup, I’m sporting the flops.

18 Kim March 26, 2010 at 10:12 am

I forgot a towel once! Luckily, I had gone swimming, so after showering I drip-dried for a minute or two, then used the tshirt I had worn to the gym. I don’t know what I would have done if I had been doing cardio and just had sweaty stuff!

19 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 26, 2010 at 10:13 am

Oh I’ve definitely done that before and had to go commando which is so annoying! I’ve also forgotten socks and had to workout with no socks….ewwwww

20 sunnytropic March 26, 2010 at 10:14 am

Oh yeah I have forgotten “essentials” from gym bag before! Underwear, bra, tank top to go under a sheer shirt…luckily not all the same day =)

With the underwear I have stopped at a drugstore and gotten a pack before, or gone “commando”…

With the bra, I re-wore my dirty sports bra (EW but was necessary) luckily it was a cute Lululemon Not So Deep V bra which didn’t give me “uni-boob”

With the tank top…I went home and got one!

I now pay for a locker at my gym so I keep one of each of the above plus a pair of knee highs/pantyhose in there for emergencies!

21 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

yikes. i gotta say, i would NOT go commando…especially not at work! i think i would only do that if i soiled myself. last year i forgot a normal bra to wear with shirt that really needed one, so i just wore a jacket all day. it was 95 degrees out. oops!

22 Samantha March 26, 2010 at 10:16 am

I prefer to think of it as “comfy” pants!!

23 Anna March 26, 2010 at 10:18 am

you can always stick a pantiliner directly in your pants so commando is not so bad 😉

24 lizrunsdc March 26, 2010 at 10:19 am

I have forgotten underwear many times with no choice but to go commando at work. Luckily it has never happened when I was wearing a dress/skirt without tights though.

Lately I’ve been going to the pool and the last time I forgot a towel and had to dry off with extra gym clothes.

25 jaimegirl March 26, 2010 at 10:20 am

Wait wait wait——you know your co-workers read your blog(and you are at work right now?) and you just put it out there that you are not wearing underwear????? I’m thinking thats pretty unprofessional, sorry. I hope your boss doesn’t read your blog.

26 Reenie March 26, 2010 at 10:32 am

Oh good grief!! @@

27 jaimegirl March 26, 2010 at 12:42 pm

hey, its one thing to do it in an emergency—its another thing to announce that you’re currently doing it at work when you know your co workers read your blog. I would be sitting there all day wondering how many of my coworkers know and are now thinking about that instead of my actual work. call me old fashioned, whatever, i just think there are some things that really don’t need to be advertised.

28 Sarah March 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

Definitely have forgotten my bra at home when working out at the gym. I had to wear my gross, sweaty sports bra because braless for me is not an option. One time I forgot my shoes and had to run to the nearest Target before work to pick up a pair!

29 Anna March 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

lol– I hate going commando too…but yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do 🙂

I love body pump– but I can’t imagine taking a cycling class after it! Wowza!

30 Kelly March 26, 2010 at 10:24 am

Bahahaha, awesome. i usually go comando for my workout (typically wear runnign shorts with a liner) but I have had that situation before.

31 Reenie March 26, 2010 at 10:29 am

Commando is the only way to go 😉

32 Liz March 26, 2010 at 10:33 am

Hahaha. It seems like this has happened to lots of us before. I always forget things… lotion, undies, comb, bra, towel! After the first time I forgot undies, I realized commando isn’t that bad. The towel is the worst thing to forget, I’ve had to use paper towels to dry off twice now.

33 Meghann March 26, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’m quite thankful my gym has a fresh towel service 🙂

34 Laura Georgina March 26, 2010 at 10:34 am

I’ve left my sports bra at home a few times. The first time, I tried to power through a workout–TERRIBLE idea as my boobs were just everywhere, so the next time it happened I just called the whole thing off. No run or elliptical session is worth the bounce and jiggle (especially if you’re on the more boobilicious side).

35 Ashley March 26, 2010 at 10:43 am

I don’t work out before work, but in the rush to leave in the mornings I occasionally forget to put on deoderant, and since I walk during my lunch break that isn’t a good thing. Fortunately there’s a drugstore within walking distance of my office, so one time I just walked over there to buy some, and now I leave an extra stick in one of my cabinets at work (along with sunscreen, bug spray, etc.). I have an extra pair of running shoes that I leave at work because I would always forget to bring comfortable shoes for walking. I also used to have a spare shirt to change into before I go for walks so my work shirt doesn’t get all sweaty, but I took it home during the winter…I need to bring one back in!

But I would so not recommend leaving certain other articles of clothing in a drawer at work. I can only imagine what would happen if someone opened the wrong drawer! 😉

36 Katy S. March 26, 2010 at 10:44 am

I’ve forgotten my towel to dry off with after the shower. I ended up using my hooded sweatshirt that I had worn to the gym. It was kind of gross but worked!

37 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness.com March 26, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hahaha! Too funny! I think everyone forgets things every once in a while. When I used to go straight to work from the gym, the best thing for me was to keep an entire spare outfit in my gym bag (underwear, bra, pants, top, socks, shoes, pony tail holder, etc). Without fail, I’d eventually forget something important (like shoes!) and I’d tap into my spare outfit.

38 Amy @ Second City Randomness March 26, 2010 at 10:45 am

Oh I hate going commando! Although I’ve had to do it from time to time when I haven’t packed adequately for a trip… oops!

39 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 26, 2010 at 10:46 am

You’re better off going commando anyways!

40 kirsten March 26, 2010 at 10:47 am

Yes, I’ve definitely done that before too!! Now I have an extra pair of underwear, sports bra and socks in a small pocket in my gym back just incase I forget.

41 lauren March 26, 2010 at 11:02 am

Back to back sounds awesome! My gym only has 6am and 9am classes though, I wish they had something like that.
I’m curious if Group Power puts a lot of stress on your legs? My left knee is bothering me so I am trying to take a break from running for a week or 2 and I want to try something new.

42 Lauren @ Running Examiner March 26, 2010 at 11:06 am

oh haha I’ve definitely forgotten my underwear when I change for work at the gym, too. Sometimes commando is the only option…

43 theprocessofhealing March 26, 2010 at 11:12 am

Oh wow – you have guts!!! Ok maybe I’m just the only one who hasn’t gone commando before. But keeping extra undies in your gym bag is a good idea!

44 caitlin March 26, 2010 at 11:16 am

once i forgot a bra. it was horrible.

45 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 26, 2010 at 11:28 am

LOL On Wednesday I forgot to pack a SHIRT for the gym. I am not comfortable JUST wearing a sports bra so I had to buy a shirt at the gym. All they had was mens stuff so it fell to mid-thigh and I looked ridiculous. 🙂

46 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair March 26, 2010 at 11:30 am

I’ve forgotten a bra more than once. Luckily I have small boobs so it wasn’t too big of a deal. Lol

47 Jessica March 26, 2010 at 11:34 am

I have no problem going commando, but the worst is forgetting a bra to put on afterwards! I CAN’T go bra-less, so I had to wear my sweaty sports bra, which i washed in the shower and tried to dry with the hair dryers, all day (EWW!)

48 D March 26, 2010 at 11:37 am

LOL. i cant believe you just shared that! Too funny meg.
Been there ..

Ps where did you get that tote bag? I really like it!

49 Meghann March 26, 2010 at 11:39 am

It’s the reusable bag they give you at Lululemon when you check out. Love it!

50 D March 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

sweeeet! thanks sweeetiee

51 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

LOL you are so funny! That has never happened to me because… I’ve never showered at the gym! I take forever to get ready, and must straighten my hair, etc etc…so I don’t usually work out in the mornings. I wish I was brave enough to pack my stuff and take it to the gym though! Is that weird?

52 Yasmin March 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

You just made my measly 25 minute workout this morning with Jillian Michaels look like laziness 🙁
But we’ve all been there. I hate when I forget a bra…ugh.

53 hundredtenpounds March 26, 2010 at 11:40 am

Your food looks delicious!

There have been a few times I forgot a hair tie. I had to work out without one –which was hard. But Oh well!

54 Matt March 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

WHOOPS 😉

Sometimes I forget socks, but it’s not too big of a deal. My workout shorts have a built in liner, so as long as I remember some boxers, I am in the clear. Commando is so much better than being dirty!

I hope your boss doesn’t read the blog 😉

55 biz319 March 26, 2010 at 11:54 am

That is too funny! And yes, it’s happened to me. I solved that problem by having clean socks/underwear/bra in a ziploc bag – I pack 5 for the week and put them in my gym locker at my office – each one labeled Monday through Friday. I then put the “used” undies in the ziploc and bring that home for the wash. Works great for me!

Not sure I could go commando though!

56 Cait March 26, 2010 at 11:59 am

I just keep a little bag of extra undies in my gym bag at all times. I have forgotten my bra before though and had to have totally flat boobs all day by weairng my sports bra..haha

57 lowandbhold March 26, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I hate going commando too, but you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do. I do stuff like that all the time.

58 Julia March 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm

You’re breakfast has me drooling – YUM!
I used to go to the gym mid day or at random times so I would just bring my workout clothes in my bag. One day I forgot my sports bra…I didn’t want to drive all the way home so I just did very low impact exercises that day (walking vs. running on the treadmill).
Great idea to keep extra pairs in your bag!

59 Marie March 26, 2010 at 12:11 pm

yikes def TMI, especially if your co-workers read that.

60 Jenna March 26, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I would have gone commando too I think! Ha-
glad u liked the classes!

61 Caitlin in MD March 26, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I used to go running during my lunch breaks at work – and shower after. I’ve forgotten underwear a bunch of times…commando all the way. Its no big deal 😉 I’ve forgotten a TOWEL a couple times…ANNOYING. In those cases I used paper towels from the bathroom to dry off!

62 Michaela March 26, 2010 at 1:25 pm

haha I did the same thing this week!

63 Catherine March 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm

That class sounds amazing!!! I need to see if my gym offers something along those lines… Haha funny you mention it bc I got out of the shower after spin last night and realized I had packed no clean undies as well and there was no way my sweaty ones were going anywhere near my skin! Oops.

64 luckytastebuds March 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

YEAHhhh i’ve forgotten undies before but I can’t go commando (too uncomfortable) so I layer on a bunch of paper towels inside my undies until they dry from the sweat session. I’ve also tried putting a pad in there to limit grossness touching clean skin. hahha

The other thing i always forget are shower flip flops. The gym floor is nasty and filled with bacteria and i can’t bear going shoeless. Solution? My gym has a roll of plastic bags (the super cheap filmy kind) and I double layer the bags on my feet while I shower. hehehe 😛

65 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 26, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hahaha i totally go commando sometimes! ahhh im so bad!!!!! 🙂
Sara

66 nutritionbyeve March 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I totally miss doing classes! I used to do doubles all the time – it was awesome! My favorite combo was a kickboxing class followed by a body pump style class – I remember always being ravenous after. But so much fun, and such a great workout.

Challah is one of my all time favorite foods.

67 KatieTX March 26, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I forgot a towel when attempting to shower at the gym..i dripped dried for a long time….I always forget ponytail holders and clips for my hair when I go from work to teaching classes and that is super annoying! I love strength plus cardio. My gym has a 45 min cycle followed by hour of weights. I would burn like 1000 calories when I taught those back to back!

68 Rachel521 March 26, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I’ve forgotten a SHOE. HAHAH. Oh god… I had to wear my professional clothes with running shoes out of there and drive back home. eh… There have been plenty of things I’ve forgotten, but that was an unforgettable one..

69 Erin March 26, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I forgot a towel one time. And I was at the gym at my office that doesn’t have towels available! I ended up using my shirt. Not the best solution, but better than waiting to drip-dry!

70 Ally March 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I used to (::knocks on wood::) have a terrible time remembering a bra. Luckily, no one in my office comes in on time, so, I was able to run home and get back to the office long before anyone came in. Whew.

I wish my gym had back2back classes like that–sounds awesome!!

71 Beth March 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Oh geez…once I forgot…get this…my shirt. Luckily, I live in Chicago and it was winter (never thought I’d say that!) so I had my coat to keep me covered and could stop at a store, pick something up, and change in the bathroom before I headed in. Geez.

72 Graze With Me March 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

This might sound stupid but….you don’t wear underwear to work out?? Am I in the minority here? I always wear a thong (cotton, so it’s comfy) under my workout clothes. Or is this more of a “moisture” issue?

73 Rachel @ Shedding It March 26, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I forgot a bra one day and had to wear a sports bra all day. I was horrified by my uniboob!!

74 Rachel March 26, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Sounds like a fabulous workout! Way to rock the gym 🙂 Your breakfast also sounds like a wonderful way to refuel after such an intense workout.
I have definitely forgotten the essential undergarments before… I used to be a competitive swimmer and it just kind of went with the territory. I have gone commando more than once …

75 Kath March 26, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Haha – “undies”

76 missyrayn March 26, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I go commando in my workout clothes so I would forget underwear all the time. I quickly learned to pack several pairs at the beginning of the week.

I have forgotten a bra before and either ran home or went uniboob. Not to fun in a sweaty sports bra.

77 Alice March 27, 2010 at 12:26 am

I forgot my bra once. When I realised I’d have to wear my wet, smelly sports bra all day I swear I nearly cried. Felt disgusting all day!!

78 feetinmotion March 27, 2010 at 9:46 am

haha awww you are too cute!! Workout sounds like a good time though!

{ 1 trackback }