by Meghann on March 24, 2010

Nuts! Nuts! Get your nuts here!

In case you missed it, NutsOnline sent me their Team Energy sample pack this week in honor of their ‘Munch Madness’ going on right now.

They have a wide variety of team sample packs up for grabs for only $20! It’s a good deal for all you get, plus I love the idea of voting for your favorite nut themed team in a March Madness style bracket competition.

Yesterday I sampled the antioxidant trail mix that came in the pack and today I went with the power trail mix (dark raisins, golden raisins, roasted peanuts, strawberries, cranberries, and soybeans)

Those had to be some of the largest raisins and golden raisins I have ever tried. Must have been some large grapes. 😉 (TWSS? I know I’m reaching on that one. ha)

Surprisingly this mix was a little bland – it needed chocolate in there somewhere. 😉

My Mexican Casserole from Monday night made great left overs for lunch today.

In college my roommates all hated cooked carrot and I never understood why. Carrots are one of my favorite veggies! You can fry it, steam it, bake it, or served it to me raw and I will enjoy every bite. In fact all of my favorite bites today involved carrot. Yum!

My parents are coming over for dinner tonight and I’ve already started brainstorming what I am going to make them. I always feel so pressured cooking for my folks for some reason. I think it’s a combination of the fact that my Dad is an amazing cook and I want to prove myself to him and the fact that my Mom is a super picky eater and can be hard to please.

My Mom and I have different tastes in clothing, decorating, and boys; so of course we have different tastes in food. She likes ‘normal’ things and I find normal to be highly over rated! (Still love ya Mom!)

Hmmm.. what to make… what to make…

1 mollys091 March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I bet your chili and cornbread is “normal” enough! That’s what I always go for – vegan and no tofu in sight 😉

2 mollys091 March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

3 jentrinque March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I so know what you mean about cooking for the parents! I always want it to be healthy but delicious, too! My step dad is easy if I make something Italian, but if I want to make something with beans or brown rice (staples in my diet!), forget it! I usally stick with a veggie lasagna, healthy eggplant parm, or just make sure dessert is really tasty. Good luck!

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hahaha you will come up with something fabulous–you always do. Your mom will love whatever it is because it’ll be made with love :)

I love carrots too–the best is in cake form :)

5 Jessica March 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I second the carrot cake, and yours looks good Allie

6 Heather March 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm

that’s what she said :)

you should do an awesome grilled chicken recipe…i always love Ina Garten’s stuff. she really does amazing things with “normal” dishes! :)

7 Jenny March 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

You should make orzo salad- orzo, tuna, feta cheese, craisins, raisins and spinach! SO GOOD

8 Bethany March 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm

My dad will NOT eat cooked carrots of any form. He picks them out and makes a big fuss if we put them in a meal!

9 Marina March 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I am too always anxious when it comes to cooking for family members, but I’m sure you’ll make something amazing :)

10 Anne March 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

HEAB make an awesome-looking chicken dish yesterday “Apricots and Pretzels”- chicken is non-threatening and you could make some “normal sides” – like rice or steamed green beans. As long as the apt is reasonably clean and you have a bottle of wine; I’m sure Mom and Dad will have a blast – enjoy!

11 Gena March 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Yum! And I love carrots. You should try carrot fries — they are my faves!

12 theprocessofhealing March 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm

My mom and I totally have different tastes too.. but it’s all good. But they generally enjoy anything I make and I just refrain from telling them some of the ingredients 😉

13 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love cooked carrots for sure…..raw not so much :-/ Good luck brainstorming, can’t wait to hear what you come up with!

14 flybynyght March 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I always try to make my parents something they’ve never eaten before or a recipe they’ve never seen. They’ve tried lots of new things this way!

15 keribop March 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Hahahaha yes, that is totally what she said. And cooked carrots are the BEST!

16 Carla March 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Carrots are the best!! I put them in my chili, and it always causes weird looks and conversations, I don’t understand, it’s so delicious!

17 thewhatkateateblog March 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with carrots! Somedays they are great (especially with nut butter) & other days Id rather eat anything but them! I love cooking for other people – cant wait to see what you come up with!

18 Rachel March 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I also love carrots in any way, shape, or form. Yummm…. Your mexican casserole looks delicious. I am sure you will come up with a great menu for dinner tonight. Parents are usually pretty forgiving…

19 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I am sure they will be thrilled with your creation(s)! They’re always great.

20 britchickruns March 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I’m not a big carrot fan…if you replaced carrot with kabocha squash, they I agree! I can eat that baked, steamed, raw, boiled, mashed…I just love it!

21 Kelly March 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I like cooked carrots, but not when they’re too mushy. I still like them with a little crunch

22 Melissa S. March 24, 2010 at 4:32 pm

hahaha…tell your parents i said hi and miss them!!!

I would totally make them something like shepherd’s pie…but i always make my parents stuffed portobella mushrooms and they love it!

23 Matt March 24, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am sure your parents will love whatever you cook! I have served my parents some epic fails, but they always eat it and say “it’s good”.

24 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

oooh I love leftovers for lunch!! Have a great dinner with your parents – I am sure they will love whatever you cook :)

25 famishedtofantastic March 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love nutsonline!!! I get my Maca powder and chia seeds through them. They have great customer service and so much variety of things to buy.

26 christina cadden March 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Your lunch looks good!

27 Bev March 24, 2010 at 7:41 pm

We had hame, Augratin potatoes & Carrots tonight! Luv GM

28 Bev March 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

make that Ham. he he he

29 Molly March 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Oh I love cooked carrots too! I cannot believe people actually do not like carrots… they can be enjoyed in so many ways! ahh

30 feetinmotion March 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm

HAH love your opening sentence. It made me chuckle.

31 Erin March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Your dinner looks so yummy — love revamped leftovers. So many meals and great tastes. :)

32 Ali March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Your leftovers look great as always!

I tried the upper body workout Sarah set up for you and all I can say is wow! It was a really good routine, and I loved going over to the weights area with a clear cut plan of what I was going to do. Can’t wait to try the lower body workout tomorrow!

33 samantha angela @ bikini birthday March 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

nice looking cassarole :)

34 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I would probably love that mix. I can’t stand it when chocolate is added to a perfectly good trail mix!