Nuts

by Meghann on March 24, 2010

Nuts! Nuts! Get your nuts here!

IMG_2438

In case you missed it, NutsOnline sent me their Team Energy sample pack this week in honor of their ‘Munch Madness’ going on right now.

They have a wide variety of team sample packs up for grabs for only $20! It’s a good deal for all you get, plus I love the idea of voting for your favorite nut themed team in a March Madness style bracket competition.

Yesterday I sampled the antioxidant trail mix that came in the pack and today I went with the power trail mix (dark raisins, golden raisins, roasted peanuts, strawberries, cranberries, and soybeans)

IMG_2439

Those had to be some of the largest raisins and golden raisins I have ever tried. Must have been some large grapes. ;) (TWSS? I know I’m reaching on that one. ha)

Surprisingly this mix was a little bland – it needed chocolate in there somewhere. ;)

My Mexican Casserole from Monday night made great left overs for lunch today.

IMG_2448

In college my roommates all hated cooked carrot and I never understood why. Carrots are one of my favorite veggies! You can fry it, steam it, bake it, or served it to me raw and I will enjoy every bite. In fact all of my favorite bites today involved carrot. Yum!

IMG_2454

My parents are coming over for dinner tonight and I’ve already started brainstorming what I am going to make them. I always feel so pressured cooking for my folks for some reason. I think it’s a combination of the fact that my Dad is an amazing cook and I want to prove myself to him and the fact that my Mom is a super picky eater and can be hard to please.

My Mom and I have different tastes in clothing, decorating, and boys; so of course we have different tastes in food. She likes ‘normal’ things and I find normal to be highly over rated! (Still love ya Mom!)

Hmmm.. what to make… what to make…

1 mollys091 March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I bet your chili and cornbread is “normal” enough! That’s what I always go for – vegan and no tofu in sight ;)

2 mollys091 March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

3 jentrinque March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I so know what you mean about cooking for the parents! I always want it to be healthy but delicious, too! My step dad is easy if I make something Italian, but if I want to make something with beans or brown rice (staples in my diet!), forget it! I usally stick with a veggie lasagna, healthy eggplant parm, or just make sure dessert is really tasty. Good luck!

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Hahaha you will come up with something fabulous–you always do. Your mom will love whatever it is because it’ll be made with love :)

I love carrots too–the best is in cake form :)

5 Jessica March 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I second the carrot cake, and yours looks good Allie

6 Heather March 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm

that’s what she said :)

you should do an awesome grilled chicken recipe…i always love Ina Garten’s stuff. she really does amazing things with “normal” dishes! :)

7 Jenny March 24, 2010 at 2:07 pm

You should make orzo salad- orzo, tuna, feta cheese, craisins, raisins and spinach! SO GOOD

8 Bethany March 24, 2010 at 2:14 pm

My dad will NOT eat cooked carrots of any form. He picks them out and makes a big fuss if we put them in a meal!

9 Marina March 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I am too always anxious when it comes to cooking for family members, but I’m sure you’ll make something amazing :)

10 Anne March 24, 2010 at 2:52 pm

HEAB make an awesome-looking chicken dish yesterday “Apricots and Pretzels”- chicken is non-threatening and you could make some “normal sides” – like rice or steamed green beans. As long as the apt is reasonably clean and you have a bottle of wine; I’m sure Mom and Dad will have a blast – enjoy!

11 Gena March 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Yum! And I love carrots. You should try carrot fries — they are my faves!

12 theprocessofhealing March 24, 2010 at 3:20 pm

My mom and I totally have different tastes too.. but it’s all good. But they generally enjoy anything I make and I just refrain from telling them some of the ingredients ;)

13 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love cooked carrots for sure…..raw not so much :-/ Good luck brainstorming, can’t wait to hear what you come up with!

14 flybynyght March 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I always try to make my parents something they’ve never eaten before or a recipe they’ve never seen. They’ve tried lots of new things this way!

15 keribop March 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Hahahaha yes, that is totally what she said. And cooked carrots are the BEST!

16 Carla March 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Carrots are the best!! I put them in my chili, and it always causes weird looks and conversations, I don’t understand, it’s so delicious!

17 thewhatkateateblog March 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with carrots! Somedays they are great (especially with nut butter) & other days Id rather eat anything but them! I love cooking for other people – cant wait to see what you come up with!

18 Rachel March 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I also love carrots in any way, shape, or form. Yummm…. Your mexican casserole looks delicious. I am sure you will come up with a great menu for dinner tonight. Parents are usually pretty forgiving…

19 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I am sure they will be thrilled with your creation(s)! They’re always great.
Sara

20 britchickruns March 24, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I’m not a big carrot fan…if you replaced carrot with kabocha squash, they I agree! I can eat that baked, steamed, raw, boiled, mashed…I just love it!

21 Kelly March 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I like cooked carrots, but not when they’re too mushy. I still like them with a little crunch

22 Melissa S. March 24, 2010 at 4:32 pm

hahaha…tell your parents i said hi and miss them!!!

I would totally make them something like shepherd’s pie…but i always make my parents stuffed portobella mushrooms and they love it!

23 Matt March 24, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I am sure your parents will love whatever you cook! I have served my parents some epic fails, but they always eat it and say “it’s good”.

24 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

oooh I love leftovers for lunch!! Have a great dinner with your parents – I am sure they will love whatever you cook :)

25 famishedtofantastic March 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love nutsonline!!! I get my Maca powder and chia seeds through them. They have great customer service and so much variety of things to buy.

26 christina cadden March 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Your lunch looks good!

27 Bev March 24, 2010 at 7:41 pm

We had hame, Augratin potatoes & Carrots tonight! Luv GM

28 Bev March 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

make that Ham. he he he

29 Molly March 24, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Oh I love cooked carrots too! I cannot believe people actually do not like carrots… they can be enjoyed in so many ways! ahh

30 feetinmotion March 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm

HAH love your opening sentence. It made me chuckle.

31 Erin March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Your dinner looks so yummy — love revamped leftovers. So many meals and great tastes. :)

32 Ali March 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Your leftovers look great as always!

I tried the upper body workout Sarah set up for you and all I can say is wow! It was a really good routine, and I loved going over to the weights area with a clear cut plan of what I was going to do. Can’t wait to try the lower body workout tomorrow!

33 samantha angela @ bikini birthday March 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

nice looking cassarole :)

34 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I would probably love that mix. I can’t stand it when chocolate is added to a perfectly good trail mix!