Munch Madness

by Meghann on March 23, 2010

How are everyone’s brackets looking for March Madness?

Mine pretty much tanked this weekend. I guess that’s what I get for putting all my faith in seeded picks. I’ve learned my lesson – always root for the underdog! 😉

In the the spirit of March Madness, I received an e-mail from NutsOnline the other week promoting their own version of the bracket wielding tournament – Munch Madness.

mm_bracket

In their version of Munch Madness, NutsOnline has created 8 sampler packs that will be represented a teams in a bracket-style format. voters will log onto the web site to back their favorite team, and the team with the most votes in each bracket will advance to the next round.

At the end of each round (which will coincide with the March Madness basketball tournament), NutsOnline will select one voter and one blogger from the winning team to receive a prize package that includes all the specialty items we think they will enjoy.

To help spread  the spirit of the competition NutsOnline sent me a sampler pack of Team Energy.

energy_small

My sampler pack included:

• Dried Mango
  • Dried Apricots
  • Roasted Cashews
  • Organic Cacao Nibs
  • Antioxidant Trail Mix
  • Power Trail Mix
  • Organic Trail Mix
  • Simply Fruit Cocktail
  • Vanilla Light & Crunch Granola
  • Organic Quinoa

IMG_2381

I was actually surprised how MUCH came in the sampler packs considering they are selling the whole sha-bang online for only $20! Each team has a sample pack chalk full of goodies and I am tempted to go online and purchase the $20 Team Indulge packet as well. 😉

IMG_2388

You can head over to NutOnline now to vote for your favorite team. The more times you vote the more chances you have to win.

Of course, I had to break into one of the trail mixes that came in my sampler pack as a mid-morning snack.

IMG_2389

The Antioxidant Trail mix contains organic goji berries, organic cacao nibs, natural goldenberries, natural mulberries, and natural brazil nuts.

IMG_2391

I had about 1/3 (?) of the sample bag.

IMG_2392

Those were some good nuts. (TWSS)

IMG_2394

For lunch I had a big batch of left over Cabbage and Potato Stew in the fridge that was on the verge of needing to be topped.

IMG_2400

In the spirit of returning to my creative food roots, I topped my bowl of soup with a scrambled egg.

IMG_2411

Not exactly sure how the idea entered my mind, but it sure was a good one!

IMG_2402

I now have the desired to add a scrambled egg to all of my future soups. 😉

With the stew I had a piece of Challah Bread.

IMG_2404

I’ve discovered challah bread is kind of airy and flaky on its own. I much prefer it as french toast! 😉

An Adora disc for calcium and good measure.

IMG_2412

If you follow me on twitter then you know a family member of mine announced some interesting news on Facebook earlier today. It was one of those announcements that you would perhaps want to tell your mother in person, instead of having her find out in her news feed (which is what happened).

Not my idea of tactful, but who am I to judge?

This got me thinking of all the random announcements made via twitter and Facebook that keep me up to date with family and friends. I.E. when I see an old high school sweetheart’s recent engagement, a colleague’s recent move, or a death in a friend’s family.

I know when Abbie passed away in August a lot of my family members first read about it on Facebook or the blog before hearing about it from me. The same was true with my Sister’s accident last year.

Need an outlet to spread news fast? Social media is the way to go. (Though I suggest if it’s important – say you are pregnant or engaged – you may want to let your immediate family know first. Just sayin’ )

What
are examples of important announcements you’ve made via social media? Or what have you discovered from following other people?

1 Fit Chick in the City March 23, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I agree with you completely! A family member of mine announced they were pregnant via facebook without telling the fam first. They then announced they were adopting via facebook two years later.

Totally want to check out the those nuts! =)

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

What a nutty steal!

My family definitely learns a lot about my life through social media but I would definitely tell them major news in person or over the phone.

3 britchickruns March 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I’ve never made a big announcement via a netowrk site, but my dad and I had a huge life altering argument on saturday, and he ‘announced’ it by deleting me as a friend on facebook. Face to face is much better!!

4 hundredtenpounds March 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I announced to all my Facebook friends last year when I was moving in with my boyfriend. It was just easier that way!
🙂 Lisa

5 eatdrinkandbemerrynyc March 23, 2010 at 3:05 pm

i try not to announce ANYTHING via social media…it’s just not my thing. I hope everything works out for your cousin 🙁
Sara

6 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I would never make a big announcement over a networking site to close friends and family. Facebook is a great way to find out who from high school is getting engaged though 🙂

7 Kelly March 23, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Hmm I can’t think of anything major I’ve ever announced, but when I saw your twitter post early I thought it was ridiculous!

8 Leah March 23, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I think it is totally normal now-a-days to announce and hear about others’ announcements via Twitter and Facebook. I think I would miss out on a lot if I didn’t have Facebook. I announced my engagement on there after I told my immediate family. I think a lot of people would not have otherwise heard about it, at least not in a timely manner. There are some things that I feel should not be announced on Facebook though – like details about your menstrual cycle or getting fired from a job…

9 Jenny March 23, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I’ve updated statuses to say I got into UF, bombed tests, got internships (not specific!) and mostly happy moments. There is, of course, the occasional complaining about tests;)

10 j.l. March 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

i found out that my boyfriend of 7.5 years was cheating on me through his myspace page. she was leaving lots of inappropriate messages.

two years later, he announced via facebook that he had proposed and she said yes.

i suppose their baby annoucement will come by way of whatever social media is popular in the future. ugh. and yuck.

my best friend also announced via text message that she’s engaged and a year later via text picture that she’s pregnant, sending out the sonogram.

i think i dislike this means of disclosure. bad, bad track record. 😛

11 cara March 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I never thought of adding scrambled eggs to soup, just pad thai and fried rice. But I do love me some fried egg or poached egg in a good pho.

12 Lacey March 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I am honestly afraid that technology and social networking will be the downfall of today’s “youth”. I feel that this hinders teenager’s abilities to form real-life social skills, in addition to destroying all forms of correct grammar and spelling.

13 Whit March 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

My sister and I had a huge argument on twitter once. I was so embarrassed. Why I participated, I have no idea, but I think that what you are referring to is sad, really. Those kinds of things are much more appropriate in person.

14 Heather March 23, 2010 at 3:20 pm

What a cute March madness idea. I haven’t announced much news on social media fronts, but I have to say, I find out about a LOT of pregnancies on Facebook- before they’re announced. Somethings really just need to be kept “in person”!!

15 Beth March 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I love added a poached egg in any soup! yum!

16 Domesticated-Bliss March 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Wow. That’s crazy…though at 17 the maturity level is to be questioned 🙂

Random question to be asking in this blog post but you and your readers are totally more tuned into twitter than I am, but how can I disable my twitter updates from updating on facebook also?

HELP!

17 Heather March 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

i haven’t made any that i didn’t tell the most important people in my life first, but when i got engaged and when i got married i made sure to post it!

crazy how news travels!

18 Allison March 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm

My cousin posted on her facebook page that all her relatives should vote for her to win an all expenses paid wedding. Another cousin and I both posted “Congratulations, I didn’t know you were engaged.”

Her response “I am not, but if we win, we’ll get engaged”…What? You’ll get engaged because you won a wedding?? There is a reason I have hidden her updates!

19 kirsten March 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I was in Ireland when I got engaged (so we couldn’t use our cell phones to call people.) My husband changed his status on facebook before I got a chance to tell all my close friends/family, opps! Honest mistake but I still feel bad that some people found out that way instead of hearing it from me directly.

20 Emily March 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I announced my engagement via Facebook–our families are simply too big to call everyone! Of course, we called our parents and siblings with the news first. That way, everyone found out almost immediately–everyone in my family has Facebook, including my 80-year-old Grandpa! 😉

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Finding out from someone OTHER than your family about big news in your family is the worst! It makes you feel so out of touch and embarrassed.

22 thefitbride March 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

After we got engaged, and called our parents/siblings, the first thing we did was put it on Facebook. It was really sweet–we got lots of really nice messages/comments!

Except for the FB message from my ex. That was just weird.

23 Caitlin March 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm

TWSS?? That’s What She Said?? If so, I love the Office reference!! haha

24 Matt March 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Yeah facebook is out of control! I learn so much on there!

25 Mellissa March 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I am very cautious about posting news on facebook and twitter! I found out about a friends death via facebook (horrible!), I have also learned about many a pregnancy and engagement via facebook and twitter as well.

I would much rather here that news in person or on the phone!

26 thewhatkateateblog March 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I agree – some things should not be outed on twitter/facebook (at least tell your immediate family/friends first!).
I havent had an adora disk in forever! Maybe Ill go grab one now!
happy Tuesday!

27 Tracey @ TropicalHappiness.com March 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I do think that people tend to share too much online. And in the age of Facebook and Twitter, “news” can be difficult. I’m not pregnant, but I thought that when I do become pregnant, I’d like to tell family first. Then tell friends around 12 weeks, and then tell work around 16 weeks. BUT if I tell friends around 12 weeks, I’m sure I’d get notes on my facebook page. And I’m friends with co-workers on facebook, so they would all find out.

Social media can make things difficult!

28 theprocessofhealing March 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

That’s really cool about the nuts! Sounds really good 🙂
I read about your family thing on twitter and all I can say is wow… some things are better told in person.

29 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

I love the idea of adding scrambled egg to the stew – what a great idea!

30 Dynamics March 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm

My nephew announced via Facebook that he and his girlfriend are pregnant. It is upsetting when someone says something and you are like, wow, I did not know. Such a lack of respect. Writing an email is better than nothing. If you have time to update it on Facebook, at least send an email to the immediate family and for sure the Grama.

On the other side, it is a great medium to know what goes on in the lives of friends and relatives you do not speak to regularly.

31 Amy (Up and Running!) March 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Scrambled egg in soup..hmm..yum!

32 Macrae March 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Funny you should bring this up b/c en example of this really got to me last week. My great aunt, who was 97, passed away. Luckily I am very close with my grandmother, her sister, so I was one of the first to know. However, an older cousin of mine chose to use the extended family group email to announce her death. I was appalled when I got the email and would have hated to have found out through an email….some things are just meant to be handed with more care.

33 Monica C. March 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Wow, I can’t believe you added a scrambled egg to that stew! Aaaah! And to think that several of your readers applauded you for doing so! 🙂 I think I must be the official anti-foodie. 🙂 Still, I love to marvel at your creations – I think they are great – but I just know I could never, as in never, ever be that daring with food. 🙂

34 D March 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I disagree with most commenters…everyone says “let the family know first”…but that IS letting them know! It might not be as personal as we would like, but this is the way the world is now. Sure it might be nicer to get a handwritten card, or even a telephone call, but we can’t always yearn for the “old days”. And while it’s maybe traditional and nice to let extended family members know things, it kind of feels silly to tell people who you may otherwise not communicate with on a regular basis. If you have a close and connected extended family, that’s one thing, but I interact with my friends via facebook, etc a lot more frequently than I do grandparents. I wouldn’t feel like I “owed” it to my extended family to share good news first.

35 Jo March 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Hmmm…. maybe you had a Chinese angel on your shoulder whispering to you- egg in soup is quite common in Eastern cuisines I think- you aren’t strange! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_drop_soup

I wish facebook had an ‘over the limit’ sensor- its bad enough that I seem to send sappy texts to all in my mobile contacts when I’ve had one too many beverages, but please do not let me on facebook, its a train wreck! My Mum is head of the 11- 15 year olds at her school and the number of times she has problems with girls posting pictures of themselves NAKED on their facebook/myspace pages is scary ;(

36 feetinmotion March 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Wow those bags are big for sample size! The only news I really alert through social media is when I get good grades on tests and other sweet events like when I win things haha. 🙂

37 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie March 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I completely agree. Sometimes people take the liberty of social media too far. I’ve even seen one of my friend’s moms announce that she had a pap smear scheduled for that day. Seriously? Why is that necessary to share?! ERRRR!!!

38 Monica J March 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I know in American cuisine, you usually don’t put eggs in soup but why not put two good things together, right? Another way to add eggs, should a similar occasion arise, is adding the eggs directly into the soup, so they cook in the broth. As soon as you crack them in, you can swirl the egg around, and they will cook in little pieces (like in Chinese egg drop soup)… it’s yummylicious!

39 Di March 24, 2010 at 8:02 am

A LOT of my friends are getting engaged lately and refuse to put it on facebook (and forbid everyone else from saying anything on there) until all of the people they want to tell on the phone/in person know about it. I think that’s an excellent idea. There are some things you shouldn’t have to find out about family/close friends on facebook or twitter, IMO!

40 Katherine: What About Summer? March 24, 2010 at 8:28 am

I love that you eat Challah bread. Sometimes I wish I ate Kosher all the time. I know that it doesn’t make it healthy–like whole foods sells junk food too–but when something says ‘kosher,’ I just feel like I’m eating something good.

41 rollerkoesterrun March 24, 2010 at 8:52 am

You said it girl! I definitely made sure my family and closest friends new before I just blasted it on twitter and facebook, even the blog! I have a good one though. We found out last year that Ryans’ Mom had Stage 4 cancer in her uterus because his sister wrote it on facebook! They were trying to wait to tell him because he couldnt go home at the time- ugh!

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/

42 Mariah March 24, 2010 at 11:47 am

I’m not going to lie…I made the faux pas of announcing my engagement via FB before telling other family members and friends. Though it wasn’t because I was trying to rude, I was just so excited to be engaged and change my FB relationship status to “engaged” that I didn’t even think that it would offend people. I was just so excited and we had gotten engaged at like 9:00-10:00 at night, I thought it would be too late to call people up and be like, “oh guess, what? I’m engaged!” and didn’t want to wait until the next day. I’m impatient like that. I’ll never make that mistake again because I know we offended a few friends.

I do think that lots of people make announcements that are important without even thinking about possibly hurting other people’s feelings.

43 Jess March 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I know this is days after it was posted. I was just catching up on some reading and remembered I sort of found out about my step-great grand father’s (my GGM’s second husband) death through facebook.

My Auntie posted how sad she was for my GGM and how quickly your life can change and I asked what had happened and immediately got a phone call “what, hasn’t your Mum told you?”. It turns out that since I hadn’t been home much in the last day or two I hadn’t seen my Mum since things had happened. But still rather shocking.