Need More Fuel

by Meghann on March 19, 2010

Good Morning Ladies & Gents!

How is your Friday treating you? Mine started with an awesome cycling class! I really LOVE the guy that teaches on Friday mornings. He has great taste in music and is so encouraging. I always want to push myself so hard in that class!

Unfortunately I need to rethink what I eat before cycling. I had a small chunk of irish soda bread before class (probably the size of a business card?) which usually keeps me fueled for runs, but cycling is a whole different ball game. I had to skip the stretch at the end of class because my stomach was growling so loudly.

During my quick shower (decided against washing my hair because that would take way to much time) and change of wardrobe, I felt like my stomach was eating itself from the inside out. I need to pack an emergency bar in my gym bag for times like these!

I managed to make it to work way earlier than normal (7:40 anyone?) and instead going to my desk, I bee-lined it to the kitchen to prep my breakfast.

IMG_2075

I quickly toasted a large piece of irish soda bread and slathered it with the last of my pumpkin butter 🙁 and some almond butter.

IMG_2076

And cut a large apple with more almond butter for dipping.

IMG_2084

I should have timed myself, this breakfast was gone in less than 5 minutes.

IMG_2085

One of the many downsides to waiting until you are on the brink of starvation to eat is the food goes down  way to quickly and your stomach doesn’t have a chance to tell your head its full. I’m drinking a large cup of hot tea right now and if in 10 minutes my head doesn’t catch up, I’m going back for more. 😉

I have sort of a fun day planned today. A couple of co-workers and I will be representing our company at a local university’s career fair. I remember attending my own university’s career fair when I was a junior and senior in college, so it’s a little strange to attend one from the other side.

This should be interesting!

1 Evan Thomas March 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

I agree–I hate eating hungry, especially out. I need to sit and savour everything

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 19, 2010 at 8:35 am

I like doing cardio on an empty stomach and refueling afterwards. It really burns through your fat stores instead of the food you just ate.

3 megan March 19, 2010 at 8:37 am

i used to feel like that after leaving the gym all the time! I would race home and eat the first thing I found in the kitchen! haha not a good idea all the time. I started eating a z bar before the gym, and packing some carrot sticks for after and that has helped a ton

4 Jenny March 19, 2010 at 8:39 am

Spinning makes me so hungry, taking a bar is such a good idea!

5 Jayce March 19, 2010 at 8:46 am

Emergency bars are a must!

If you are wanting to replace that pumpkin butter, there is a place right off of I-4 in Plant City (near where the Strawberry Festival was) that has some great pumpkin butter, among other homamade jarred goodies. It’s called Parkesdale Farms – you’ve probably seen billboards for it on I-4, and they are famous for their delicious, huge strawberry shortcake. 🙂

6 Emilyeatsclean March 19, 2010 at 8:53 am

Packing an emergency fuel bar in your gym bag is a great idea! I’ve had moments like that where I felt really weak during a class and also thought I could eat my arm!!! Glad you’re enjoying cycling……its a fun calss and a great crosstrain for running!

-emily http://emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

7 Catherine March 19, 2010 at 9:10 am

I’m just learning the same lesson about spinning! I can literally do a 20 mile run and then slowly refuel with food over time, but after spinning (especially one class in particular that I do on Fridays at lunch and is super intense) I cannot get food in my belly fast enough!! Thankfully my gym has a full working juice/smoothie bar so I can replenish my energy ASAP!

8 culturalcravings March 19, 2010 at 9:13 am

My friday during the day is going to be alright, I’m on jury duty today. (as I have been for awhile). But I just look at it as a chance to get paid to read!
Tonight should be fun though. 🙂

And I find that though I love soda bread, about 15 minutes after I have a slice I’m hungry again. I could not use it as workout fuel.

9 fitandfortysomething March 19, 2010 at 9:21 am

yes cycling makes you much hungrier! i eat very little before i run but cycling is so different. have fun today at the career fair! how fun to be on the other side of it 🙂

10 Madeline - Greens and Jeans March 19, 2010 at 9:34 am

I hate working out when I’m hungry because food is all I can think about the whole time! Also, Irish soda bread and peanut butter is definitely one of the best food combination ever.

11 Jessica Livingston March 19, 2010 at 9:37 am

Meghann I LOVE spinning! I haven’t gone lately because my schedule has been so crazy, but it’s by far my favorite way to work out. I have crummy knees so the pounding of running on a treadmill is too much, but for some reason the standing and bouncing in cycling is much easier on them.

The first cycling class I took at UCF, they turn off the lights, pump up the music and it’s awesome. I felt like I could hardly make it through, but I could probably do two classes in a row now no problem, they’re so much fun.

12 Lo-Jo March 19, 2010 at 9:42 am

That looks like a REALLY filling breakfast. Yum!

13 Matt March 19, 2010 at 9:42 am

That Irish soda bread looks so good!

I like working out at my gym because we have a smoothie king so I can get a smoothie after my workout to tide me over until I can eat something.

14 Beth March 19, 2010 at 9:45 am

I have to get your motivation to get up in the AM to workout! And, its so weird to be on the other side of career fairs, I agree. They’ll probably seem like babies to you!

15 theprocessofhealing March 19, 2010 at 9:55 am

Isn’t it odd how you need more fuel for cycling than running? Because running seems SO much more intense to me… maybe I need to check out a cycling class?!

16 Kelly March 19, 2010 at 10:03 am

Oh man nothing like a day like that to make you feel old. Also, I hate spinning, hate it.

17 skinnyrunner March 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

ok i need to try this whole spinning, burn lots of calories thing.

18 Molly March 19, 2010 at 10:06 am

I am always SO hungry after working out.. like could eat my arm off hungry.

Have fun at the college fair!

19 Julie March 19, 2010 at 10:08 am

i have a pack of almonds in my gym bag just incase of that! I hate that feeling

20 Jess March 19, 2010 at 10:17 am

You know you could always make your own pumpkin butter – I’m sure you’re up to the challenge!

21 *Andrea* March 19, 2010 at 10:17 am

spinning always makes me soooo hungry after too! it’s fun to wswitch up the workout routine though… good luck at the recruiting fair!

22 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 19, 2010 at 10:22 am

This is exactly why I think intuitive eating is so important!!! You never know what kind of exercise or activity is going to make your body crave more fuel or different fuel. When people follow really strict meal/diet plans, there’s no room for actually listening to your body!

23 Anna March 19, 2010 at 10:55 am

I’ve never taken a spinning class, but it’s on my list of things to try!

24 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs March 19, 2010 at 10:55 am

If at all possible, I NEVER wait til I’m properly properly hungry to eat – If I’m not full, I’m at that ‘am I hungry? Maybe just about…’ stage, so I eat much slower 🙂 i find it works for me! Though hunger is quite a pleasant surprise sometimes 😛
A good workout always feels ace and worth it though, regardless of if you go hungry 😀
Have a good afternoon!

25 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 19, 2010 at 11:03 am

I hate that starved feeling! I always try to carry a bar or something on me just in case…

26 Heather March 19, 2010 at 11:28 am

how fun! i remember attending those too, and you just feel so lost and awkward 🙂 hope you have a great day today!

27 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 19, 2010 at 11:30 am

It’s always fun to get out of the office. Have a great day!

28 missyrayn March 19, 2010 at 11:33 am

I pack a snack for that very reason. I inhale food when my arm starts looking good.

29 bootcampphilly March 19, 2010 at 11:48 am

popped out!

30 Travel Eat Love March 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Emergency snacks are my life savers! I always have to remember to replace my Lara or Pure bars. Otherwise, I have had post workout moments when I almost fainted. I am the worst about eating before a workout because it makes me feel soooo icky!

31 marie March 19, 2010 at 12:41 pm

FYI, it is really, really easy to make pumpkin butter.

This recipe gives the basic idea, and you can just tweak it to suit your tastes.

32 biz319 March 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Happy Friday Chica! I have a giveaway on my blog today – its my birthday and I wanted to give out presents!!

Jealous of your spin class too! Maybe add some peanut butter?

33 Monica C. March 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm

You’re so good. When I am that hungry, I am looking for candy, chips, cookies – something that is going to make my blood sugar go sky high and make my seratonin levels go through the roof … of course that leads to the inevitable CRASH. Plus, it’s not healthy. Your way is much better.

34 Erin March 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

It’s the worst to be absolutely ravenous and feel like you can’t get the food down fast enough. Unfortunately, that’s when a lot of us make poor food choices, too.

35 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

argh that post-workout hunger can be CRAZY!
Have a great day though 🙂

36 Danica March 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I have found if I add a little protein (eggs or yogurt) with some carbs that it totally sticks with me during spinning. Your post spin breakfast looks delish though for sure!

I always keep bars in my gym bag for that reason. They saved me a million times to just break off half of one when I made it back to the locker room while training for my tri last year.

Hope the career fair was fun!

37 Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 19, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Isn’t it weird how you need different fuel before different activities? I usually eat as I’m walking out the door to go the gym so I stay full, but if I’m going for a run I have to eat WAY before I want to go.

38 Kate March 20, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I bet you’re burning way more calories in spinning than on your usual run – I usually burn about 600 OR MORE in an hour class, and since you’re not used to cycling class, I bet that is why you’re starving!

I definitely always keep a Clif bar in my bag just in case!