Good

by Meghann on March 18, 2010

So, the consensus was NOT to count calories. Good, because I really didn’t want to. 😉

I promise there will be no calorie counting on this blog. Just lots of running and good eats. Sound good to you? Sound good to me too.

It was another busy morning around here. Our user group conference is less then three weeks away and there are still so many last minute details to take car of! Did I mention my company is also trying to launch it’s rebranding efforts at the conference as well?!?! Lot’s of work for me! But that’s what makes the job fun. 🙂

While reviewing our new website content, I nibbled on some pretzel and chocolate graham goldfish.

IMG_2028

And since dinner was sooo good last night, I couldn’t help but repeat it for lunch.

IMG_2030

Leftover Cabbage and Potato Irish Stew

IMG_2035

IMG_2033

Irish Soda Bread

IMG_2038

There is now less than a 1/4 of the loaf left. I rarely go through bread this fast, that means it’s good. 😉

I freaked out a little last week when I noticed I was negative 38 hours in the hole for PTO. YIKES! At my office we accrual so many hours of PTO each pay period and even though I knew I was a little in the negative, I knew it couldn’t be that much.

Earlier this morning I was reviewing my old pay stubs and discovered 29 hours of PTO that was mysteriously taken out of my paycheck for no reason at all. I immediately contacted HR and had the 29 hours of PTO safely returned to my PTO bank.

Moral of the story is: always watch you pay stubs, bills, or statements of any kind very closely! You never know when 29 hours of PTO are randomly going to go missing. 😉

Have you ever caught a glitch on a pay stub or bill before? Did you save yourself a lot of money by catching it?

1 Madeline - Greens and Jeans March 18, 2010 at 2:02 pm

One time I didn’t get paid the overtime I was due. I noticed my check wasn’t as big as I was expecting so I contacted payroll and they fixed the problem almost immediately! It definitely pays to be on top of these things!

2 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 18, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I’m glad you fixed the problem! -38 hrs. would have been hard to make up!

3 britchickruns March 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Ouch, good you spotted the problem! I’ve never experienced anything like that…and I definetly don’t want to, it sounds horrible!
Ah, I’m so relieved you won’t be counting cals – big relief!! 🙂

4 Wendy March 18, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I have a really funny story involving a paycheck – when I was in college, I was working in a lab for something like $5.45 an hour (I can’t remember the exact amount). Well, one pay period, they LEFT OUT the decimal point, so I got paid $545/hr!! And to top it off, I had my paycheck deposited directly into my checking account. I had to write a HUGE check back to the university because of their mistake! They were lucky I was honest enough to write the check and not take their money and skip town. 😉

5 kristen March 18, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I actually had to google “PTO”…my company doesn’t work that way.

I have spotted problems with vacation days before- but unfortunately it was because HR hadn’t inputted all of the vacation I had taken 🙁

6 Beth March 18, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Wow! Good thing you looked! I’m careful about my hours too because I love my PTO =)

7 Kelly March 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I wish we did PTO, I don’t get sick days at all. If I’m sick or need to take off I either have to use one of my 10 vacay days or I don’t get paid. It sucks.

8 Erin March 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

My husband’s company is like that. Makes planning for vacations really tough.

9 Jenny March 18, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’ve caught some glitches before, but since I’m not even outta college, they’ve never been too big!

10 Lisa March 18, 2010 at 2:22 pm

This is just my personal opinion but…I don’t see a problem with calorie counting. I counted my calories for 2 years to lose 110 pounds and it worked for me. Before I had NO idea what I was eating and how much. Now I’m aware.

Weight Watchers counts points, which is essentially the same as calorie counting, and it works for people.

11 Jess March 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Yeah, it’d be nice if I had official PTO time but I’m salary so they work me to death 🙂

12 Sara @ ActiveGal March 18, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Wow! Good thing you spotted that! I have to go online to look at my pay stubs and I look every other Wednesday when they come out to make sure everything is okay! You better believe I count every single penny 😉

13 Erin March 18, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Last year I was supposed to get a rather significant raise. But my paychecks didn’t change. My boss was out of the office after having surgery so I had to wait until she got back to have them fix it. Thankfully once we got it sorted out Payroll gave me all my back pay right away, too!

14 Erin March 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Oh, also, I just discovered last week that someone had charged almost 100 dollars using my husband’s debit card number. I was just randomly looking at our bank account online to see if a transfer I had made had shown up yet and there was this random $100 at a Stop n Shop in New Jersey. We don’t live nor have we ever been in New Jersey! Thank goodness I caught it right away and we were able to cancel that card. Nice try, card thieves!

15 Tami March 18, 2010 at 2:47 pm

have you read book/seen the movie, the House of Sand and Fog-it’s all about opening your mail

16 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Hahaha I haven’t had Irish soda bread in years but you are making me crave it like mad!

17 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm

YES! I wasn’t paid for 3 hours of in-school subbing once, which got me almost $100!

18 Catherine March 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I actually noticed a while back that there was no money being taken out for my equinox membership. At first I thought it was just on a month delay, then at the end of the second month I called Equinox to upgrade my membership and they informed me that they were canceling our company account due to non-payment by my company. Seriously??? Well by that point I was addicted to spin class and pool access… as well as the Kiehl’s products in the locker room/shower… so I just forked up the dough for a normal membership. Oh well – at least I got two months free!!

19 whitinspired March 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

The only time I’ve caught a glitch was not for my benefit. I was taking PDO hours and it wasn’t coming out of my balance. I don’t actually know how long I went before noticing, but as soon as I did, I let payroll know. I felt guilty!

20 MelissaNibbles March 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Good catch on your paystub!

I’m confused though, why would even consider counting calories if you didn’t want to?

21 Meghann March 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Just to prove to some nay-sayers that I was eating the right amount of food. But in the end i know I’m eating what’s right for me, so there is no point.

22 MelissaNibbles March 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I don’t see what it would “prove”, especially if it’s only one or two people. You should do what makes you happy and stop worrying about the trolls who make comments on the internet. I don’t mean this rude at all, but they’d probably go away if you didn’t devote a whole post to the calorie counting controversy and just ignored them instead. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters girl!!!

23 Katy B March 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Hey I was just wondering if you eat before you workout in the morning?

24 Meghann March 18, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I usually have a small bite of something, but its too early to document anything. Usually its a quarter of a clif bar, this morning it was a small chunk of soda bread.

25 krosenk729 March 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

There is a scam at self checkouts (I’ve heard of it happening at WalMart) where when you pay with your debit card, the cashier presses the cash back button without you noticing. So you grab your bags, receipt and walk away leaving behind the machine dispensing your cash. Then the cashier is free to pick it up and pocket it! watch out!

Would that soup be good with sweet potato or yam instead of white? It’s hard to tell what would go well together

26 Jessica Livingston March 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I think you probably just plenty of calories. You might healthy food that’s low in calories, but you usually look like you’re getting really good portions of it sooo there should be no worries on either end.

27 Jessica Livingston March 18, 2010 at 4:12 pm

That should say “get” not “just” lol what was I thinking?

28 Anna March 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

29 hours?! That’s a big chunk of time! Good for you for catching it!

29 Erin March 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I’ve caught mistakes in restaurant bills before or been given the wrong change and definitely speak up. Sometimes I realize that I’ve made a mistake too — yesterday was my first day in New Zealand and I underpaid because the $1 and $2 coins are similar. Figured it out, though!

30 drivingmydreams March 18, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Your potato soup looks so yummy! I’m not a big fan of soupy-soup but your’s is chunky. Thank you for posting the link.

Just wanted to let you know – I’ve been reading your blog for quite sometime. Its in my Favorites along with Jenna’s Eat Live Run & the Fitnessista. You have inspired me to take the leap and start my own. Thank you for blogging and sharing your healthy life!

31 Rachel March 18, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I am so relieved that you decided against the calorie counting. You are such a good model of healthy, balance, and intuitive eating/exercise. I have counted calories for years and can’t get all those numbers out of my head. It is miserable!

32 Gab* March 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I caught little things but nothing as big as 29 hours! I had to google PTO, we don’t have that here in Australia, I think it’d be illegal here. When I googled PTO I discovered that you guys only get 10 vacation days, that’s not much!!

33 Heather March 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm

in college the place i worked at didn’t have enough money to pay all of the employees, so only the first 2 people who cashed their checks actually got paid. not good!

34 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I saw that they overcharged me for seltzer at the supermarket last weekend! I went back and got my 2 dollars back 😉 Haha I’m that cheap!