more ยป" />

An Irish Feast

by Meghann on March 17, 2010

So, the body assessment I was so excited to experience this afternoon was not exactly what I had originally envisioned. :/

I had a vision of a personal trainer pushing me on different levels of fitness and then evaluating where I needed improvement, but that wasn’t what I got.

Basically the personal trainer took all my measurements, checked my body fat percentage and weighed me, then she spent the next hour teaching me the technokey system that all the machines operate on in the gym. Bummer. :(

The good news is I can ask a trainer at anytime to re-assess my measurements and I can use the technokey to pre-program speed workouts in the treadmill if I want to. I’m going to stick with Sarah’s training plan for now and have another assessment done in a couple of months to see where I stand. :)

Since I was expecting a hard core fitness session after work, I had fueled up with a mix of afternoon treats.

IMG_1963.JPG

In my mix I had Fiber One cereal, dried pears, cashews, and an adora calcium dark chocolate disc. The dark chocolate disc was my favorite part of the afternoon. Once I ate one I suddenly wanted more. I <3 chocolate! :)

In honor of St. Patty’s Day I had randomly decided to purchase some potatoes and cabbage at the store on Sunday in hopes of creating an irish feast. I did a little googling and discovered a recipe for Irish Potato and Cabbage Stew that seemed the perfect fit.

IMG_2002.JPG

The recipe was pretty basic.

You start with the cabbage.

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

chop chop chop

IMG_1975.JPG

Next, the potatoes

IMG_1969.JPG

Add them all to a pot with carrot, vegetable broth, and a few other seasonings

IMG_1981.JPG

30 minutes later you’ve got stew!

IMG_1985.JPG

I also added a can of pinto beans at one point for a little protein.

IMG_1998.JPG

My irish feast needed irish soda bread. ;)

IMG_1983.JPG

Perfect!

IMG_1990.JPG

The recipe said the stew called for 4 servings, but I’m pretty sure I got 6. I have a LOT of cabbage and potato stew in my fridge right now. Good thing I like cabbage.

IMG_2003.JPG

For dessert I decided to taste test my third Chocomize bar.

IMG_2006.JPG

Bar #3 contained Dark Chocoalte, Macadamia Nuts, Coconut Flakes, Pineapple Dices, and Basil.

IMG_2011.JPG

Love the overload of toppings!

IMG_2012.JPG

I had 1/3 of the bar to calm my evening sweet tooth.

IMG_2015.JPG

I was surprised how powerful the basil spice was in the bar. All the other add ons were excellent, but the basil was definitely a different flavor. It’s one I’m still not sure if I like or not. I guess I will just have to keep taste testing before making my final opinion. ;)

Time to peel off all my green and head to bed.

Good Night!!

1 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I’ll bet that stew will be great for days, and you could keep adding to it to make it even heartier! Bummer about the non-training session… they did the same thing w/me at the gym last year.

2 Evan Thomas March 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Ah, I wished I grabbed a head of lettuce, not like I’d known what to do with it in a dorm, lol

3 Kelly March 17, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Sorry about the training session, the free ones they give out when you join are typically pretty weak.

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Hahaha I always want more chocolate after those Adora disks…good thing I’m afraid of overdose so I stick to one. Although I eagerly look forward to my 2nd one every day :)

I always expect those personal trainer fitness sessions to be like Jillian Michaels intense but they never are. Grrr.

5 Mae March 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Wow that looks delicious- and so simple! I love leftover stews for lunch. Yumm

6 Anna March 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Those chocomize bars get me every time :-) Yum!

7 Erin March 17, 2010 at 9:55 pm

just curious but what is technokey?

8 Jenny March 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Coconut and chocolate combo = godsend.

I’m sorry your gym appt. didn’t go as planned, hope you get in a kickass workout next time!

9 Heather March 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm

mmmmmm, i love me some cabbage and potatoes!!! that looks like a great stew :)

10 Madeline - Greens and Jeans March 17, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Roasted cabbage is my new favorite food! It reminds me a lot of brussels sprouts, but is SO much cheaper (and possibly even more delicious)

11 missyrayn March 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm

oooo that stew looks good and simple.

Sorry that the training session wasn’t you were looking for. At least you already have a plan that can work.

12 Lauren March 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

shocker..you.. disappointed and negative on the blog.. weird!!

13 Jenna March 17, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Choc lookks yumm!

14 Molly March 17, 2010 at 10:22 pm

basil on chocolate.. that is CRAZY! I cannot even begin to imagine what that would taste like.

ahh bummer about the assessment although that would be cool just to track along your fitness journey!

that cabbage inside is so pretty!

15 Rebecca March 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm

for 4 servings, your soup only had 132 calories. You ran 6 miles today! You need to eat more than that, right? I know you had bread too, but that’s still not enough, especially if you had less than a servings worth!

16 Melissa March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm

adora supplements are one of my favorite finds ever. they rock. basil and chocolate, you are adventurous!

17 Emilyeatsclean March 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Such good St. Patty’s Day eats you had today…..it all looks yummy!

-emily http://emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

18 theprocessofhealing March 17, 2010 at 10:50 pm

That stew sounds great!!! I LOVE cabbage..YUM! But it sure is stinky!

19 rollerkoesterrun March 17, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that Chocomize- need to get on that!

~Christie

20 Madelin @ What is for Breakfast? March 17, 2010 at 11:52 pm

That bread just keeps looking so darn good, I’m craving it now!!!

21 caronae March 18, 2010 at 12:25 am

Sorry about the fitness assessment :( But it sounds like dinner and that chocomize bar kinda made up for it. I cannot wait to get mine!!!!

22 britchickruns March 18, 2010 at 3:04 am

Great looking stew, it looks so comforting! My stews always seem to come out too thick, if that’s possible; I definetly need to try again methinks…
Lovin that chocolate :)

23 Kate March 18, 2010 at 5:11 am

Hey Meghann,
Love the blog haven’t comented before but because yesterday was St Patrick’s day felt I should! I’m irish and I gotta ask why do you call it st patty’s day??? It’s Paddy’s day!!! I realise this makes no sense but here its what we do! Well done on the stew too looks delicious

24 Alice March 18, 2010 at 5:42 am

Aw sorry to hear the evaluation wasn’t what you expected – at my gym they do all that but they also test your VO2 Max, which is fantastic at gauging your fitness level and seeing if you can improve it.

25 archer March 18, 2010 at 5:48 am

Keep on healthy living!

26 Rachel March 18, 2010 at 6:48 am

Bummer about the assessment at the gym :( I have always wondered what one was like, but it sounds like it is really hit or miss… Your dinner sounds fabulous. I love having cabbage, potatoes, and root veggies on St. Patty’s day!

27 Erica March 18, 2010 at 6:54 am

Bummer about the assessment! Very cool that they allow you to go back and re-assess whenever you want though! I made an “Irish” soup tonight too! Totally delicious. Yours looks fabulous- I need to pick up some yummy cabbage (I have a feeling it will be on sale today ;)). Hope you have a good day

28 D March 18, 2010 at 7:37 am

I wish those chocomize bars weren’t so expensive, because they look amazing! I’ve definitely customized my dream bar but unfortunately it will remain that way.

Do you think you could or will address all the calorie concerns in a post? It seems like you get comments every single day about your supposed lack of calories. It would be interesting to hear what you think about it, and if you’ve made any conscious changes, or how you decide how much to eat in a day, etc. It’s interesting when so many people have different opinions about the “right” amount to fuel certain activities.

29 Becky @ flybynyght March 18, 2010 at 7:50 am

Sorry that your session wasn’t what you hoped for :(

At least you have a plan to work from and hopefully some guidance if you need it.

Ummm, basil in chocolate? I can see the dilemma – they don’t really seem like they’d be complimentary to me…

30 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 18, 2010 at 8:20 am

I’ve been eating cabbage soup for days and I still have half a head of cabbage in the fridge.

31 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

Bummer about the assessment. :(

32 fitandfortysomething March 18, 2010 at 9:11 am

i like your version on an irich feast! sorry the assessment was not what you had expected. i never felt they were any good either……

33 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 18, 2010 at 9:38 am

Bummer about the assessment….at least that stew looks delicious! I love cabbage too :-)

34 Tracey March 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

YUM!!! That stew looks so good. I LOVE cabbage. I’m always throwing it in my soups that I make.

35 Monica C. March 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm

That stew looks good! I don’t like cabbage (super picky me again) but I think I’m going to give it another try again after all of these decades! :0