more ยป" />

Veggie 'Pasta'

by Meghann on March 16, 2010

I think this Irish Soda Bread is going to be trouble. ;)

I ended up having TWO more slices this afternoon and boy were they good! Something tells me this loaf is not going to last long at all. ;) I am determined to incorporate a slice into each of my meals tomorrow in honor of St. Patty’s day.

Speaking of St. Patty’s Day.. don’t forget to wear green tomorrow! I have a whole green wardrobe picked out, including a green running outfit to wear in the morning. I love themed holidays. Especially ones that involve green food and green beer.

Let’s take a stroll down memory lane…

St. Patty’s Day 2005

100_1166.JPG

St. Patty’s Day 2006

(Not sure why I’m not wearing green?)

drinking.jpg

St. Patty’s Day 2007

(that’s Kelly’s Anthony before he was Kelly’s Anthony)

102_2721.JPG

Boy do I miss college. We used to get banded when the bar opened at 6:00am, go and have breakfast, come back, eat lunch, come back, and promptly pass out before the sun went down.

I guess holidays like St. Patty’s Day aren’t the same when you’re working a 9-5 job. I haven’t actually gone out on St. Patty’s day since 2007. Yikes.

Do you have any big plans tomorrow? Green Beer? Corn beef? Meal of cabbage and potatoes?

Tonight’s dinner was all about color (including green).

Pretty, right? I was missing purple, next time I’ll use eggplant too. ;)

I had a vision for a ‘pasta’ of vegetables – which would have been awesome if I had one of those fancy spiralizers in my kitchen – but alas no spiralizer, so I improvised with a peeler.

IMG_1900.JPG

Not as pretty, but still got the job done.

The veggie peels got a quick steam bath

IMG_1905.JPG

And found a home at the bottom of my favorite bowl.

IMG_1909.JPG

A good ‘pasta’ needs a good topping. Enter mushrooms, onion, and pepper.

IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

I sauteed with the veggies with a little olive oil and added some jarred marinara sauce before plunking the mix down on the ‘pasta.’

IMG_1910.JPG

Finished it all off with cheese and flax seed.

IMG_1914.JPG

Mmmm… tasty

IMG_1917.JPG

The mix of mushrooms and flax seed gave the whole dish a very meaty taste. Each bite was chewy and fresh. I would definitely make this again.

Dessert was a serving of Thin Mints Ice Cream with a real Thin Mint.

IMG_1919.JPG

1 Beth March 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I never thought to do that with veggies before to make “pasta”! What a great idea! I’m definitely going to try that one!

2 glidingcalm March 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

that irish soda bread and veggie pasta look delish!!!

i think im going to put some marinara on my veggies tonight- totes Graduate Meg inspired!!!

happy Wed!!!

3 Evan Thomas March 16, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Your pasta looks so much better-yay for gluten free!
Haha, I’m going to need someone to remind me to wear green

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Hahaha I’ve tried the shredding method since I am without a spiralizer too–sorta works, right? It’s all going into the same place anyways…my MOUTH!

5 glidingcalm March 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

p.s. i finished off a carton of that Thin Mint ice cream today!! Unfortunately, I didn’t have the cookies to go with it!

6 Heather March 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

you always have the best desserts…that looks SO good! and after a meal of veggie pasta? yum!!!

7 Jenny March 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm

That looks like such a beautiful, healthy dish! Where did you go to college?

8 Julie @ Wearing Mascara March 16, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I know exactly what you mean. I miss college SO badly sometimes especially for holidays like tomorrow :-) Everything looks delish (as always). :-)

9 Dori March 16, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Whoa your um.. bosom.. in 2005 :) So I have a spiralizer and it has never been taken out of the box. You’re cute, I don’t wear green or do anything to acknowledge the holiday because I am too cool.

10 Julie @SavvyEats March 16, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Maybe your skirt/shorts/pants were green in 2006? :)

Dinner looks great!

11 Ashley March 16, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I love your walk down memory lane! I love this dinner when i’m craving veggies!! YUM!

12 Marie March 16, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I went to FSU too and there is no better holiday in Tallahassee than St. Patty’s Day Block Party and getting banded at 6 am at the Irish Pub and going to class then back to drink green beer all day and end up with Pokey Sticks! It makes me miss college too!!!

13 Kelly March 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I love Pokey Sticks!! Ok..maybe I USED to love when I went to FSU. LOL I miss Tallahassee!

14 theprocessofhealing March 16, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Your dinner sounds fabulous!!!!

I actually never make a big thing out of St. Patty’s day. I do wear green but I’m not a big partyer… aka I don’t party at all. Perhaps i’m missing something…

15 Matt March 16, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I will be working all day tomorrow. I get to wear GREEN though!

16 Sarah March 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Brilliant dinner!

….even more brilliant dessert ;-)

17 jodie March 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I have never had a thin mint before. Your dinner looks so yummy.

18 Lexi March 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Your veggie pasta dish is great when I have a produce drawer full of veggies on their way out. Def adding this to my “try soon” list. Have a good evening! Thanks for sharing.

19 BridgetP March 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Oh college. I think I had the shirt you are wearing in the 2005 pic in a couple colors :) Happy St. Pat’s Eve!

20 Ilene March 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I need Thin Mint ice cream in my life! :)

21 Lisa March 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Okay, this really random and funny, but I went to elementary school, middle school, & high school w/the girl in the first pic (she’s also in the 2nd) with you (Emily). How strange, but funny! Small world!

22 Lara (Thinspired) March 16, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Cute St Patty’s flashback :) I just love marinara sauce on veggies! It makes you realize that it’s the best part of eating pasta, doesn’t it?

23 Jenna March 16, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Mmmm lovin the thin mint ice cream :)
Jenna

24 Tay March 17, 2010 at 2:38 am

I really really wanted to go to the bars at 6 am tomorrow! I figured it was my last chance to do so in college!! But unfortunately, St Patty’s day falls during finals week and my roommates all have them :-( Plus I work at 8:30 am. Booo. Will hopefully do it at some point in my life!

25 britchickruns March 17, 2010 at 4:26 am

I’m not doing anything for St P’s day – no-one in England seems to!? It looks fun though, maybe I’ll create my own fun on the day :)

26 Sam March 17, 2010 at 5:56 am

Hehe I find it odd that you guys call it St Patty’s Day and we call it St Paddy’s Day in the UK. I’ve got a green jumper on to get in the spirit! Nothing else planned unfortunately, although a few of my friends are off to Dublin for the weekend.

27 NYCRunnerGirl March 17, 2010 at 6:49 am

I love your flashback posts! I didn’t realize you knew Kelly’s Anthony before he became Kelly’s Anthony.

I don’t really celebrate St. Patrick’s day as much anymore either, but I think we may do happy hour after work today… and I will be wearing green! :)

28 culturalcravings March 17, 2010 at 7:41 am

Last year I went to NYC’s parade and several bars…but that ultimately did not end up being the best choice, haha.

So this year I’m cooking dinner for my extended family: boiling bacon, cabbage, potatoes and carrots along with lots of irish soda bread and butter. Plus black and tan brownies (one of the ingredients is guinness! yummm)

29 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 17, 2010 at 8:22 am

i made Vegan Colcannon last night! Posted about it this morning.

30 21mph March 17, 2010 at 8:35 am

I loved seeing pics of you at the strip! I’m a senior at FSU, but I don’t think I’ll be at the strip tonight. I’ve actually haven’t been to the strip for St. Patty’s day since freshmen year… and that didn’t end well lol. Last year I had a huge paper to write so I split my time writing paper and drinking wine in my room and walking down the street to the surf club party. No green beer for me with Celiac disease :( Hope your day is very green!

31 Kate March 17, 2010 at 8:35 am

Pokey Sticks! I haven’t thought about those in a long time. Only in college would you pay $12 for glorified bread sticks. Sooo good though.

32 Katie March 17, 2010 at 8:52 am

Oh, the St. Patty’s Days of college. Good times. :)

33 Kelly March 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

Oooh college, so fun. I’m wearing some cute green shoes today!

34 Ambular March 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

I like your hair long!
In the pic from 05 your boobs look huge, where did they go? :-)

35 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 17, 2010 at 9:05 am

I don’t think I’ve ever really done anything for St. Patty’s Day. I will be running the Shamrock 8K this Saturday, though.

36 simplypresent March 17, 2010 at 10:07 am

Mmmm…That veggie pasta looks delicious! I am definitely going to try to make it soon!

peace.love.em

37 pippapatchwork March 17, 2010 at 11:18 am

Oooh, I love a good colorful pasta. That looks yummy!