Just call my desk package central

by Meghann on March 16, 2010

I have been the queen of packages today. πŸ™‚ Keep the good stuff coming!

The first one to come across my desk was from the great folks at Quaker.

IMG_1795

IMG_1796

They are launching some new items under their True Delights brand and sent me some items to sample.

IMG_1798

My hands immediately reached for the True Delights Dark Chocolate Mocha Hazelnut Cafe Square.

IMG_1849

Mmmm… chocolate. πŸ™‚

IMG_1852

The bar looked delicious and decadent, but I was a little thrown off by how tiny it was.

IMG_1854

I wasn’t sure how the 110 calorie little square would work as a snack, but honestly that little square packed a filling punch. After I ate the granola square around 10:00, I was sent out to run a few errands around town and didn’t make it back to the office until close to 1:00. When I returned I was still feeling content from the square I had consumed 3 hours earlier and probably could have held off eating anything else for a couple of more hours. That fact alone gives this square two thumbs up for me. Plus, it tasted amazing. πŸ™‚

My original plans of having lunch with a friend fell through so on my way back to the office I picked up a quick lunch to eat at my desk.

IMG_1876

I debated stopping at a few different places, but my heart was set on a sub from Publix. I used to get a Publix sub at least once a week back in high school and college, but as I’ve gotten older and discovered I can make subs at home for half the $$, Publix subs have become a once in a while treat. The fact that this is my second one in a week is very rare now a days.

IMG_1881

I got the typical whole wheat veggie sub with swiss cheese, spicy mustard, olives, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers, onion, pickles, jalapenos, and vinegar. πŸ™‚

On the side I had some cantaloupe that I had brought from home and was originally intended to be my afternoon snack.

IMG_1879

Last night my parents bought me a 24 pack of these Ritz seltzers at BJ’s for $6.99!! Such a good deal!

IMG_1884

The packages kept coming while I was running errands this morning.

A Food Tee I had won through a giveaway on Emily’s blog.

IMG_1888

Isn’t it cute? Checkout FoodTee.com to see what else they have to offer. All cute and all food related!

IMG_1885

A couple of more packages of products I will be testing out in the upcoming weeks.

(Not sure where the pic went?)

And finally something I could not wait to sink my teeth into!!

IMG_1891

We do not have any Great Harvest Breads in Florida (that I know of?), so when a few other tweeters were tweeting about the Irish Soda Breads now available, I was more than a little jealous.

I think Jacquie (sweetestthingdc) took pity on me because she offered to send me a loaf of my own!

IMG_1889

She also threw in a few other goodies that I can’t wait to try! I know Maddie can’t wait either. πŸ˜‰

I opened the irish soda bread as soon as I was finished with lunch and had a small piece.

IMG_1892

IMG_1895

Whoa! Some of the best irish soda bread I have ever tried! It was very dense, chewy, and just the right amount of sweetness. All I needed was some green beer and I would have been all set for the day. πŸ˜‰

THANK YOU Jacquie!!!!!! LOVED it!

1 Heather March 16, 2010 at 2:08 pm

what a cute t-shirt!!! love it πŸ™‚ i’m also diggin’ that sandwich from publix…makes me wish we had one here!

2 lizrunsdc March 16, 2010 at 2:11 pm

That bread looks amazing! I guess we have Great Harvest in the DC area but I’ve never been, must make a trip soon!

3 Jacquie March 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm

There’s one in Rockville and one in Alexandria, but my parents near the one in COlumbia so that’s where I went!

4 megan March 16, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I LOVE getting packages. Especially with free things! It’s so fun to review free products. I’m jealous of the quaker things you got. I love the true delights granola bars and have gotten friends and family hooked on them! i’ll be interested to hear your opinions of the new items!

5 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 16, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love getting surprises in the mail! I got books twice this week from my mom. πŸ™‚

6 Emily March 16, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Fun packages today! I love the T shirt.
Because I live on a main street UPS will never leave packages at the door and I’m never home when they come by. It gets so frustrating. Delivering to work sounds smart.

7 Emily March 16, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Fun packages today! I love the T shirt.
Here in Massachusetts we do have Great Harvest – seems like I might have to stop by!

8 Nicci@NiftyEats March 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I love when I get surprises in the mail also, always makes my day after coming home from work. πŸ™‚ Those are some tiny bars, but they look delicious.

9 Lo-Jo March 16, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Free stuff in the mail is like a new puppy on Christmas Day πŸ™‚

10 Jenny March 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe that kept you full for so long! I’m gonna have to get some!

By the way, I’m loving that shirt! So cute:)

11 Beth March 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Wow I’m totally jealous of all your packages!

12 britchickruns March 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Gosh you got loads of swag today!! I’m expecting two packages myself – the joys of being a food blogger, I love it!

13 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 16, 2010 at 2:32 pm

So jealous! Great harvest is sooo delicious πŸ™‚

14 Kelly March 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Getting packages in the mail is so fun! Thanks for emailing me the st plan!

15 missyrayn March 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Fun day of packages. I love when snacks hold me over on busy days.

16 Tracey March 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I’ve never had Irish Soda bread but I plan on trying to make some tomorrow. I’ve never made bread before so this could be interesting!

17 Dori March 16, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I heard they serve deep fried kok at Package Central.

18 Derek March 16, 2010 at 3:23 pm

wow…..and clever.

19 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 16, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I love great harvest bread. I always buy some when I head over to the US

20 Morgan @ Life After Bagels March 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

oh man am I jealous πŸ˜‰

21 Emily @ The Front Burner Blog March 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Yay! I’m so glad the shirt came and that you like it! πŸ™‚

22 Sarah R March 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

That’s some good stuff. I’m jealous of all the great harvest goodies. We don’t have one either πŸ™ Did you ever figure out what the 40lb package from FedEx that you tweeted about was?!

23 Meghann March 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Yeah, it was something for my landlord. πŸ™

24 Sarah R March 16, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Darn! I was thinking it was a nice new appliance for the kitchen or something.

25 christina cadden March 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm

your sandwich looks good!

26 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm

OH I LOVE THAT T-shirt!! So adorable πŸ™‚

27 Catherine March 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Drool… Great Harvest Irish Soda bread?? We don’t have any of those in my area either, but that looks amazing!! I totally want one of those Cafe Squares too!

28 Anna March 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Wow, that is impressive that that small bar kept you full for three hours! It looks delicious!

Love, love, love packages!

29 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Oh man, I better head to my Great Harvest to get some Irish Soda Bread!!!!

30 healthyamy March 16, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Wow, Christmas came early in your office today! That soda bread looks amazing. I fell in love with Soda bread when i holidayed in Ireland 3 years ago, it was so much better than the comercial soda bread in the supermarkets in the UK…i have a craving for soda bread now!

31 Crystal March 16, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Those Quaker bars look delicious! I’ll have to keep an eye out at my grocery store. πŸ™‚

32 Samantha March 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm

As you know, I can’t find hardly anything remotely “newish” to the grocer’s world here on Guam. But during my time in HI last month I got to try the raspberry mocha true delights bar. SO YUM! My hubby is sending me more when he restocks my pb2 and barney butter supplies. πŸ™‚

Love the shirt…how fun! Have you ever tried to make your own irish soda bread? It can be very quick and easy!

33 Karla March 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm

What fun packages!
Those quacker bars look tasty! I’ve been looking around for new portable snacks! Are they super sweet though?

34 Orla March 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I’m irish and have lived in Ireland my whole life, and have never seen anything like that in my life! It looks more like a giant scone! πŸ˜€

35 theprocessofhealing March 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Omg Great Harvest..YUM!!! They seriously have the best bread that I have EVER had. As soon as I get in my car, the aroma of the yeasty bread fills it all up… you’re so lucky!!! Awesome packages!

36 Emily March 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm

MMM great harvest. Their apple scrapple bread is to die for! I actually recently made irish soda bread (whole wheat flour plus oats thought, not sure what GH’s is) and I have to say it makes for some good morning fuel- one slice with a bit of butter keeps me full for hours.

37 Danielle March 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I’m so jealous that you got something from Great Harvest! I’ve always wanted to try some of their bread after reading Kath’s blog. Maybe we’ll get one here in Florida someday!

38 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I found those bars at Target a couple months ago and my hand immediately went for the dk choc mocha hazelnut too. I was really disappointed with how small they were and they didn’t keep me as full as they did for you. I used them more as dessert since the topping was so tasty.

39 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me March 16, 2010 at 9:02 pm

ooo I love getting packages! So fun!

That shirt is absolutely adorable and I’ve been dying to try that bread too. I am 100% carbs girl. Can’t get enough!

40 kath March 16, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I should be asleep but had to comment on the Great Harvest!!!!!!!!!!!

41 Karen w March 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Funny … I just drove by a great harvest store yesterday wondering what it was all about. No idea it was a chain. I will have to go check it out. Thanks for the tip. πŸ™‚

42 Jenna March 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm

what a great day of packages!!

43 Molly March 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I love Great Harvest – I have not had it in probably 5 years, but in highschool I would make frequent stops on my way home from school to get a free slice of bread with real butter (gasp!). SO GOOD isn’t it. They also make amazing cookies. Maybe I will have to stop there when I go home this weekend!!

44 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life March 17, 2010 at 12:59 am

That bread looks great! There is a Great Harvest right up the street from me…I’ll have to check it out!

45 Kelly L. March 17, 2010 at 12:59 am

You are so lucky that you can get packages at work! I used to work at a VA Hospital, and there was a $500 fine for having ANY personal mail delivered to you at work, even if it was just a letter! I used to have the hardest time getting any sort of packages delivered to me, because I was at work all day. I ended up having to go to these UPS and FedEx warehouses quite often. Your system of getting deliveries at work sounds amazing!!

46 wnk505 March 18, 2010 at 7:07 am

I love great harvest bread! It is so moist, hearty, and delicious. Also, I know what you mean about subs.

it is so much less expensive to make them at home but they taste so much better when you buy them πŸ™‚

47 Debbie Huber March 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Wow! I work at Great Harvest and ran across all these mentions of Great Harvest so I had to check it out. Thank you everyone for all the kinds words! And I see our favorite food blogger and future Great Harvest Charlottesville bakery owner is a reader too — Hi Kath!

48 Orla March 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

Hey there,
Your soda bread isn’t actually soda bread by Irish standards. Here sodabread is made with wholemeal flour (usually with buttermilk) and usually no raisins etc. In the north of Ireland a soda farl is made with white or plain flour (all purpose) and is more like a little breakfast biscuit.
What you have with the raisins/currants etc is more like a barm brack or tea cake which is traditionally made at Hallowe’en.

Hope this helps!