The Start of Another Week

by Meghann on March 15, 2010

It’s Monday again!

Yesterday on my run, my body felt very slow and sluggish. My legs were still sore from my lower body work out on Thursday night and I was just plain tired from the time change. My body was in desperate need of a real rest day and I happily granted it’s request this morning.

I slept in and did a few deep stretches once I got out of bed. My legs were really enjoying their time in rag doll and downward dog. They really, really needed it. 😉

You’ll never guess what I made for breakfast this morning. 😉

IMG_1784

Cereal! Starring my fresh from Plant City Strawberries!

IMG_1790

• 3/4 cup Multigrain Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/4 cup Pumpkin Granola (from Whole Foods bulk bin)
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Cacao Nibs
  • Strawberries

IMG_1791

The strawberries were so sweet and juicy! I ended up putting half of the half flat in the freezer last night, but I still have two good size tupperware containers left for the week! Expect a LOT of strawberries in my future. 🙂

Time to play Monday morning catch up at the office.

Have a great day everyone!

1 Jenny March 15, 2010 at 8:50 am

Those beautiful strawberries would make any Monday better!

2 megan March 15, 2010 at 8:53 am

oh how I miss strawberries. I almost bought some yesterday but they were already a little soft and dark, so I refrained. I can’t wait until strawberry season in michigan!

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 15, 2010 at 9:02 am

Not only is it the start of a week–it’s the start of school again after a far too short spring break. I wish I had some strawberries to perk me up!

4 Laura Georgina March 15, 2010 at 9:04 am

Stretch and strawberries–the perfect way to start any day!

5 Can You Stay for Dinner March 15, 2010 at 9:07 am

Mmm I’ve got to get myself some fresh strawberries. So delicious! Have a great start to your week!

6 Anna March 15, 2010 at 9:13 am

Mmmm, I bet those fresh strawberries are delicious! Yum!

7 britchickruns March 15, 2010 at 9:16 am

Last time I went shopping on a Monday afternoon, I got a whole load of reduced price strawberries…I’m hoping the same will happen in about 2 hrs!
Have a great day 🙂

8 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now March 15, 2010 at 9:18 am

I can’t wait ’till strawberry season. I just love ’em!

9 Christie @ Honoring Health March 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

What a yummy breakfast!

Have a great day!

10 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 15, 2010 at 9:36 am

This was a rough Monday! At least it’ll be light out so I can run after work, though. 🙂

11 Run Sarah March 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

Those strawberries sound so fresh. I love Whole Foods bulk bin granola – its SO good and reasonably priced.

12 liz March 15, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hi Meghann,
I mean this with the best of heart, but maybe your body is sluggish because you aren’t nourishing it properly? It never really seems like you eat enough calories at all, especially for the amount of running you do. For example, your dinner last night was maybe 200-300 calories. MAYBE 350, but I doubt it. You need more calories than that after running 10 miles!! I just want to give you a heads-up! 🙂 Hope you don’t take it the wrong way!

13 Anon March 15, 2010 at 10:07 am

Liz,

Can you also give us a calorie count on the chicken gyro she had? Or maybe the chocolate covered strawberries? You’re using only information that suits your argument. Pretty lame.

14 Anon March 15, 2010 at 10:10 am

AND the strawberry shortcake with a good helping of whipped cream.

15 liz March 15, 2010 at 10:35 am

Yes the chicken gyro was about 350 caloires and the strawberry shortcake about 250. Still not enough calories after 10 miles of running. Also, i’m not only speaking about yesterday, I am speaking about ALL the time. It doesn’t seem like she eats enough calories in general.

16 Anon March 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

So, for those that focus on cutting calories as one strategy for losing weight, you would suggest incorporating chicken gyros and strawberry shortcake from a fair into their diet? I mean, we’re only talking about 600 calories, according to you.

17 Emily March 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

Anon – I get your point but your attempt to drive home how much Meghann eats isn’t much better than saying she eats too little. There are readers who eat more than Meghann (many of whom may struggle with a myriad of food issues) who don’t benefit from your harping on how her foods are DEFINITELY enough. To each her own.

18 Heather March 15, 2010 at 11:04 am

It’s good to be concerned- not eating enough is definitely a problem when training so much, but it’s also really really hard to tell how much someone is eating from a blog, even though it’s all pictured. It’s tough to tell what size it is, exactly what’s on it, etc, etc. I think Meghann’s shown through her blog that she’s committed to taking care of herself. I’m sure her friends and family would speak up if there was a concern!

19 Lindsey @ Sound Eats March 15, 2010 at 11:02 am

Hi Liz – I could be way off because I wasn’t physically there and don’t know the actual sizes of the food, but I feel like your estimates are way off. I just looked at Meghann’s food yesterday and here’s my guess of her intake:

Half Bagel wth PB and Choc Chips: 200ish
Breakfast: 350-400
Shortcake: 400 (could be more – I would bet money that the strawberries were dripping in a sugary sauce and the whipped cream was not fat free)
Gyro: 750-ish (could also be way more – the thing looks huge and it’s thick, white pita bread, tons of tzaziki which I’m sure being fair food wasn’t low in fat/ cal, and tons of greasy chicken)
Chocolate Covered Strawberries: 150-200 (I don’t know how many Meghan had when she split them with Derek, but still…the chocolate ups the caloric count a lot)
Diner: I’d guess around 400ish (100 cheese, 100 PB pretzels, 100 veggies, 100 hummus).

This would put Meghann at around 2250-2350 for the day, and could honestly be a lot more depending on different serving sizes/ how greasy and sugary the fair food really was.

I’m not a R.D. or anything (yet!), but I am studying nutrition and I really don’t think Meghann’s eats were too alarming. I actually thought they were quite balanced with a healthy breakfast and dinner and the splurges at the Strawberry Festival during the day.

20 Lo-Jo March 15, 2010 at 9:56 am

I hate that feeling of being sluggish on a day when you actually WANT to run. Hope you feel better today. 🙂

21 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 15, 2010 at 10:01 am

Oooh fresh strawberries look fantastic. My town has a strawberry festival every year in july, but it’s nothing like the plant city one.

22 musingsofthegranolagirl March 15, 2010 at 10:12 am

So delicious!!

Have a great day 🙂

23 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 15, 2010 at 10:15 am

i think everyone’s feeling pretty groggy from the time change…at least that’s what i keep telling myself 🙂 hope your monday is a good one, and have a strawberry for me!

24 theprocessofhealing March 15, 2010 at 10:24 am

Yum.. that looks delicious!! I also had strawberries on my oats this morning 🙂 You can feel that spring is finally on its way!

25 Macrae March 15, 2010 at 10:46 am

You are awesome to be so respectful of you body!

Question- Did your co-worker ever find their dog?
Have a great day!
Macrae

26 Meghann March 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

Nope, he never did 🙁

27 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

Jealous of the fresh strawberries. They look delicious!

28 Mama Pea March 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’m calling Jillian and telling her that her contestants should be eating strawberry shortcake, chicken gyros and chocolate covered strawberries, stat! These ARE the keys to rapid and dramatic weight loss. Duh!!!!

29 DiningAndDishing March 15, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Between the gorgeous strawberries and gorgeous weather I am very jealous of you in Florida right now!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

30 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 15, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I’m willing to bet that sluggish feeling is like a sugar hangover from yesterday… i know thats the case with me a LOT of the time! Granted, I dont exercise nearly as much as you do, but still…oh and the time change!

I always wonder what these lovely anonymous people, even when they give themselves names, are thinking when they make such critical statements. They seem to be running rampant lately!

31 Kelly March 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Yum, I can’t wait until strawberry’s are in season up here!

32 Emilyeatsclean March 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Never thought of adding cocoa nibs to breakfast! 🙂 Great idea!

-emily http://emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com