Dinner with the folks

by Meghann on March 15, 2010

The best thing about afternoon doctors appointments? They make the afternoon fly by!

I ate lunch around noon and before I knew it, it was 3:00 and I was heading out the door. On my way out I dug into a serving of mixed nuts and a couple of dried prunes.

My parents had been playing the role of ‘puppy sitter’ this past weekend and even though they were having a ball spoiling their grandpup, I missed my Maddie. After my doctor’s appointment they were kind enough to meet me at the half way point between us so that I could have my baby back. πŸ™‚

We met at Designer Greens – a cute build your own salad and sandwich bar – for dinner and to make the switcheroo.

After I realized we were meeting at Designer Greens I was a little bummed I had already ate a salad for lunch. I LOVE building my own salad at Designer Greens, but wasn’t really feeling two salads in one day. Instead I opted for a panini.

I ordered the portobello turkey panini which came with gorgonzola cheese, tomato, turkey, portobellos, and mayo, but I opted out of mayo and got the honey mustard instead.

The honey mustard was a BIG mistake in that combo. I should have asked for spicy mustard or just opted out of sauce completely. The honey mustard just threw the whole flavor combo off and it didn’t taste right. πŸ™ Oh well.

I was also a little disappointed with the pita & hummus I got as my side.

The pita was the same pita used for the panini and the hummus was bland. Next time I would get fruit instead. Or just stick with my usual build your own salad combos. πŸ™‚

Once I made it back home my sweet tooth was more that ready for dessert and I had a new recipe I had discovered on Mama Pea’s blog that I had been dying to try all day.

Mainly because it involved the Xanthan Gum I had got through iherb.com and have been waiting to figure out what to do with it!

Chocolate Strawberry ‘Ice Cream’

Per Mama Pea’s loose instructions I blended frozen strawberries, cocoa powder, almond milk, and xanthan gum until it was creamy and topped with cacao nibs

While this was no ice cream by any means, the xanthum gum did give the smoothie a creamy, fluffy texture. However, it still tasted icy like a smoothie. I wonder how I can fix that?

I love it when Maddie comes back from my parent’s house. She is one pooped pup on my couch at the moment. I think she’s happy to be home. πŸ™‚

Time to spend some quality time with my baby girl.

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas March 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I think in order to get rid of the iciness, you need guar gum more than xanthan

2 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 15, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Bummer about the dinner. I am curious about the “gums” though! What is the difference between guar and xanthan??

3 Mama Pea March 15, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Guar gum makes it creamier, xanthan gum makes it thicker. I bet if you used guar gum too (about 1/2 t.), Meghann, it’d have gotten creamier! I used Silk almond milk which is already pretty creamy, so I lazily left the guar gum out. I’d also recommend using a little sweetener (or a lot, in my case) too!

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I’ve wanted to try xanthum gum for so long but can never bear to shell out the dough for it at WF’s. Is it worth it in your opinion? I’m not sure if you paid for it (I don’t think so?) but would you if you had to?

Bummer about the awkward flavah in your paninin πŸ™ It looked great though!

5 Rachel March 15, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I have no solutions for you on the “ice cream” front, but it sure looks good! Sorry your eats tonight were slightly disappointing. That can be so, so frustrating. Have fun with your little girl tonight. Give her a nice scratch behind the ears from me πŸ™‚

6 Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now March 15, 2010 at 9:05 pm

That ice cream sounds too complicated! I think I’ll have to stick to my light ice cream for the store. Let us know if you can get it to turn out the way you want it, though!

7 Heather March 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

sorry, no ideas here…unless maybe you add a banana? either way, it LOOKS great πŸ™‚ so glad miss maddie is tired and happy to be home!

8 Jenna March 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Sorry that dinner didn’t taste too stellar πŸ™ But it LOOKS good!

I hear ya about appointments making days fly by. I’ve had a doctors appointment the past two weeks, I’m kind of bummed I don’t have one this week! lol.

9 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I would go for more fruit and less liquid for a less icy texture, and maybe try a banana?

10 Abby March 15, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I’ve been trying to find Xanthum gum! I’ll check iHerb now! Thanks for the tip!

11 Jenny March 15, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Designer greens is really good, but I can’t stand their bread- to me, what I’ve had has no flavor.

Salads all the way!

12 Anna March 15, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Boo to the so so dinner. But at least you have your sweet pup back!

13 Vaala March 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm

You could add some frozen banana pieces. I find that makes things really creamy.

14 mary ann March 15, 2010 at 9:44 pm

try a lil coconut milk (from can) if you want to stay vegan… or vanilla coffee mate creamer!!!

15 Marisa (Loser for Life) March 15, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I got xanthum gum from iHerb, too and have been wondering how to use it. I tried it in a smoothie, but I think I put in too much! It came out really gelatinous – ewww πŸ™

16 Lynna March 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I bet adding avocado or banana would help make it more creamy, though the latter would probably change the flavor- but not in a bad way!

17 Gina G March 15, 2010 at 9:54 pm

add frozen banana! =)

18 amanda March 15, 2010 at 9:55 pm

it’s a shame the panini didn’t taste good, because it sure does look yummy.

19 Jenna March 15, 2010 at 9:57 pm

sandwich sounds good! but i am glad it was a dissapointment!
the dessert looks better tho πŸ™‚
Jenna

20 theprocessofhealing March 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Awww so happy you have your puppy back!
Sorry your dinner was disapointing! Sounds so good in theory…

21 Matt March 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Sorry about the bum dinner πŸ™ I hate it when that happens!

22 amanda @ fake ginger March 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Yay for having Maddie back! The “ice cream” looks delicious even if it didn’t live up to your expectations.

23 Mama Pea March 15, 2010 at 10:33 pm

More info: sorry to be a comment hog πŸ˜‰ I wouldn’t use more than a 1/2 a t. or so of the xanthan gum. It will get too gelatinous. Also, if you don’t want to buy a HUGE amount, check in the bulk foods section of your grocery store/natural foods/health food store. It will likely be with the jarred spices and not in the bins.

Okay, I’m sick of me now.

24 M March 16, 2010 at 9:20 am

Also, xanthum gum is a laxative when consumed in excess. (Never mind how I found that out.)

25 Food-Fitness-FreshAir March 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I’ve been reading about using xanthan gum to make home-made healthy ice cream. I definitely want to try this!

26 britchickruns March 16, 2010 at 3:53 am

You’ve convinced me! I need some xanthum gum in my life cos I want to make ‘ice cream’ like that – it looks so good!

27 Madison March 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Xanthan gum sounds like some highly processed stuff they make in labs. Is this stuff healthy? Isn’t this stuff a derivative of GM corn?