more ยป" />

Derek in the Kitchen

by Meghann on March 13, 2010

There is nothing sexier than walking in the door after a 3 hour car ride (that was suppose to be less than 2 hours) and find your man preparing one tantalizing meal.

SEXY!

The last three hours of work flew by this afternoon. Unfortunately the 3 hour car ride that followed did not. ๐Ÿ™ The mix of rain and Friday rush hour traffic was no bueno!

I figured as much would happen, so before I left I fueled up with a hearty snack that I knew would keep me the thought of hunger creeping into my my mind before I reached my final destination.

LOVE the Chocolate Peanut Butter Green SuperFood bars! They remind me of a candy bar. ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek had been planning on cooking this meal all week. For a guy whose meals usually come from a box, this was a big step for him!

Derek followed this recipe for Roasted Salmon with Herbed Yogurt to a T and in my opinion created the world’s perfect salmon.

The salmon fillet was flakey, yet moist and the herbed yogurt sauce was very fresh and only enhanced the flavor of the salmon instead of overpowering it.

Derek lost track of how many times I said “this is sooo GOOD!” because I kept repeating it over and over again with every bite! My baby did good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek also made up a box of long grained rice and roasted some asparagus.

After dinner Derek and I headed to the movie theater for a showing of Alice in Wonderland. Tim Burton movies always give me the creeps, but I knew Derek wanted to see it so I tagged along.

Truthfully the movie wasn’t great at all. Even Derek didn’t enjoy it. The plot was slow, I spent the majority of the movie confused, and as I said before the style of the movie just gave me the creeps.

We both left the theater agreeing the highlight of the movie was actually the Chocomize chocolate bar we had split somewhere in the middle of Alice shrinking and growing.

Per Derek’s request we split the Dark Chocolate, Ground Coffee, Dried Strawberry, and Hazelnut Bar.

The coffee flavor was not as strong as I would have liked, but the mix of dried strawberry and hazelnuts more than made up for it.

I particularly enjoyed that they used whole hazelnuts instead of hazelnut pieces, it made for extra nuttier bites.

If you plan to order any of your own Chocomize bars in the future be sure to type ‘meghann’ in the coupon section of the checkout to receive a 10% discount on your purchase. ๐Ÿ™‚

I see a rabbit heading down the hole, I better follow it!

Good Night!!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 13, 2010 at 12:18 am

You have become such a great influence on Derek ๐Ÿ™‚ His body will thank him later in life (and probably already has). Bummer about the movie but good thing you had chocolate to make up for it.

2 caronae March 13, 2010 at 12:23 am

Yay for Derek’s meal making skills! I’ve tried the peanut butter chocolate amazing greens bar before and loved it. So hearty. After seeing your post about chocomize last night I emailed them to see if they might send me some samples to review and they said they’d love to. They’re so sweet, and they went to my school. I can’t wait to try mine. Have a fun saturday!

3 britchickruns March 13, 2010 at 4:20 am

*round of applause for Derek!* What an awesome boyfriend! It actually looks like proper cooking too, which is even more impressive ๐Ÿ˜€ AND deliciious looking at that! You’re one lukcy girl ๐Ÿ˜›
I was going to see Alice in Wonderland tonight…not so sure now…

4 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 13, 2010 at 4:38 am

oooh what a lovely looking dinner – that salmon looks perfect ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 13, 2010 at 7:16 am

Seems like Derek’s becoming quite the chef!!! I remember when I first discovered the joys of cooking and left my dinner-from-a-box meals behind (well, for the most part). Best decision I ever made!

6 NYCRunnerGirl March 13, 2010 at 7:33 am

Great meal, Derek! Salmon is one of my favorites. Besides the disappointing movie, it looks like you had a fun Friday night!

7 Lindsay Heuser March 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

You’ve got the boyfriend in the kitchen making a real meal? So impressed! My bf is still in the “from a box” stage….sigh….he’s afraid he’ll make a mess of everything if I’m not there in the kitchen to help him out. Lol. Derek’s meal looks delicious, btw. Way to go! Sounds like you guys had a nice night.

8 Erica March 13, 2010 at 8:38 am

awwwwwwwww what a guy! Such a treat. The meal looks incredible. Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your weekend together

9 allie March 13, 2010 at 8:45 am

what an awesome dinner- i am super impressed!!

10 Sammi March 13, 2010 at 8:53 am

I wrote a disclaimer in my post about the movie pointing out that I’m not very picky at all with movies after reading this post ๐Ÿ™‚ lol. I personally loved it; however, I love all pretty much all movies! I’ve been wanting to order some of those bars ever since I saw them on skinnyrunner’s blog! Now, I’m definitely going to have to since you gave out that code! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Jes March 13, 2010 at 8:58 am

that dinner looks delicious! What a great guy! The chocolate looks pretty darn great as well. I am going to have to order some! Have a good weekend!

12 Jenna March 13, 2010 at 9:01 am

Good job Derek !!!

13 Sugar-Free Suzanna March 13, 2010 at 9:02 am

I agree about Tim Burton movies. They give me the creeps too. I am so impressed with your boyfriend’s cooking skills! My husband can grill, but that’s about the limit of his food prep talent.

14 Can You Stay for Dinner March 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

Yay! Go Derek! That meal looks delicious! Sorry you didn’t enjoy the show, but sounds like you still had a great evening- chocomize bars make everything better!

15 Susan March 13, 2010 at 9:29 am

Haha I totally thought those were chickpeas in your chocolate!

Yep, a man who can cook is a definite plus : )

16 Matt March 13, 2010 at 9:37 am

I’m glad Derek showed you a good time ๐Ÿ™‚

17 katy March 13, 2010 at 9:55 am

dinner looks awesome! derek is totally a keeper ๐Ÿ˜‰

18 Jenny March 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

That’s so sweet he cooked you dinner!

You have me wondering what made Alice a not so good movie…

19 theprocessofhealing March 13, 2010 at 10:05 am

Awwww Derek is so sweet!!!!! That’s adorable. And the salmon looks amazing!!! It’s hard to get salmon perfectly cooked… go Derek!

20 Waking Up Hungry March 13, 2010 at 10:24 am

Go Derek! My hubby does almost ALL of the cooking, and he is really good at it, so why stop him?! LOL! That salmon looks amazing!!!!

I don’t like Tim Burton movies either so don’t feel bad. I just don’t get into the whole creepy factor.

21 andrea. March 13, 2010 at 11:59 am

I am soooo sad that Chocomize doesn’t ship to Canada! :((( Totally the kind of thing I would splurge on.

PS: I felt the same way about Alice In Wonderland!

PPS: Yay for boyfriends who can cook!

22 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I’m bummed about your movie review b/c I’m going to see for my cousins (6th?) birthday tonight. Now I have a bad feeling this night isn’t going to end well (if the kids get bored or creeped out).

23 Dani March 13, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I was so disappointed by Alice in Wonderland as well. Seriously where was all the magic that made the first one so great, specifically where was the music?!

24 Ali March 13, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I think that salmon looks delish – I’m used to just spraying mine with some olive oil, sprinkling on some Mrs Dash, and wrapping in tin foil to bake – this makes me want to try something different!
I’m surprised you didn’t like Alice! Not because I know you so well haha but because you’re the first person I’ve heard say that! I have previously avoided ALL Tim Burton movies because I do not like the creepy, scary factor but I loved Alice! I am even going to see it again:-)

25 missyrayn March 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

A man who can cook is great! Hunni is more likely to cook for both of us than he ever was just for himself as a bachelor.

I really don’t like Tim Burton movies (except Sweeny Todd) either. They creep me out.

26 Caroline March 14, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Totally agree about the movie. I was very disappointed but can’t help but wonder if I would have liked it better if I’d read the books at some point in my life. I think the animated version is one of my favorite disney movies, so having only that to compare the new one to was not favorable.

27 Sophie March 15, 2010 at 9:53 am

I love it when guys cook, they always put so much heart into it =)