16 Classes in 60 Days

by Meghann on March 11, 2010

My gym is currently running this nifty promotion where new gym members are challenged to attend 16 classes in 60 days. Those who complete the challenge receive a $50 credit to their account.

IMG_1479

$50 credit? Sign me up! I’m always looking for a new challenge and thought this would be a fun way to get to know all the classes my gym has to offer.

This morning was my first official gym class. I was planning on cycling, but they only offer the 6:00am cycling class on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays. Perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow? 🙁 But, for now I went ahead and opted for the 6:00am yoga class.

I’ve attended yoga classes in a gym setting before and honestly was not expecting much. The class was a slower, flow yoga class that really stretched out my legs and arms. I wouldn’t call the class strenuous by any means, but it was a relaxing way to wake up and give my muscles a little TLC.

If I plan to continue going to the gym in the morning, then I am determined to become an expert breakfast packer. Pre-planning and creativity are key when having breakfast at your desk every other morning. 😉

IMG_1484

Last night I took charge of the ‘pre-planning’ key and prepped some Overnight Oats in a Jar, which thanks to the nifty lid traveled very well.

IMG_1481

• 1/2 cup Oats
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Almond Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Honey Peanut Butter
  • Dried Cherries
  • Cacoa Nibs
  • Cinnamon

IMG_1483

When I got to the office I added a chopped pear to the mix.

IMG_1493

The perfect on-the-go meal!

IMG_1494

IMG_1495

I know a few of you were requesting an overview of what Sarah taught me last night. Since I am still so new to strength training I am going to ask Sarah to do a guest post to review what we went over. I hope she says yes!

1 megan March 11, 2010 at 9:56 am

I love taking classes at my gym! I haven’t tried yoga yet…it makes me nervous because i have no idea what I’m doing! Classes are a good way to get to know people though, and have a little fun while working out 🙂

2 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete March 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

That is so cool that your gym does that!

I personally like yoga classes in a group setting. They make me work harder. Sometimes hatha yoga is the best for your body. I totally agree with you that you don’t always have to be working your body to death for something to be beneficial for it.

3 Carolyn @ lovinlosing.com March 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

I wish I had gone to yoga yesterday like I planned. Maybe then I wouldn’t have hurt my back today. 🙁

I wish my gym would offer something like that. 16 classes in 60 day! I could rock that!

4 Ali March 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

I go to the gym in the morning a lot. Like you I love a yogurt, fruit cereal mix. I usually bring the yogurt and fruit in the day before and leave it in the fridge at work so I have it the next day. Oatmeal is always a good option. I love to bring PB&J sammies too

5 Anna March 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

That’s great that your gym promotes their classes like that! Fun stuff! And hey, 50 dollar credit? Icing on the cake 🙂

6 poiseinparma March 11, 2010 at 10:09 am

what an awesome promotion! I’d be all over that one! Spinning looks like fun, but it’s the one type of class my gym doesn’t offer (no bikes). I’m lucky to have a decent schedule to choose from otherwise.

I agree with you on yoga classes at gyms: I treat them more as a “stretch” than a “workout”. I’ll hit up my local yoga studio if I’m looking to get my sweat on.

7 Can You Stay for Dinner March 11, 2010 at 10:10 am

Awesome job on packing a nutritious and filling portable breakfast! I’m inspired by your class challenge! I think I want to do something similar!

8 Matt March 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

Spin classes are fun! I’ve only been to a few, but it was a decent workout. Never been to yoga 🙁

9 Shannon (The Daily Balance) March 11, 2010 at 10:16 am

what a cool incentive! I wish my gym was doing the same, but perhaps I could come up with a little incentive for MYSELF 😉

10 Claudia @...and so I ran March 11, 2010 at 10:23 am

I would love if the gym close to work would have such an incentive. They offere some great classes that I would love to take during lunch BUT the membership is SUPER expensive and really not in my budget rigth now.

11 theprocessofhealing March 11, 2010 at 10:24 am

That’s a really awesome promotion, very cool!!!

Thank you for setting the guest post up, very excited about that!

And by the way, I just watched Kelly’s half video and it really brought tears to my eyes. Halfs have a special place in my heart because I had a half scheduled for this April (and it was going to be my first race ever) and then I was injured in December and I’m still not healed so I obviously won’t be able to run the half. I was very dissapointed and upset about it but things like this video and stories from bloggers really give me inspiration and determination that I WILL one day run a half… and maybe even a marathon? Who knows! And i’d loooove the Disney Princess Half Marathon to be my first 😀

12 mayapamela March 11, 2010 at 10:26 am

That is such an awesome promotion! It shouldn’t be hard to do 16 classes in 60 days at all (I do that and more without even trying) and I think gym classes are really fun (especially the strength training classes, because I find it hard to do that and stay motivated on my own).

13 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

16 classes in 60 days? That’s easy peasy! I bet you can do more than that 😉

14 anotherannabanana March 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

Sooo jealous! I miss cardio classes and how hard they push me. (I’m too competitive to quit when other people are around.) Currently it’s just not in my budget. So I suppose I’ll continue to use my apartment gym and live vicariously through you and all your classes. 🙂

15 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 11, 2010 at 10:30 am

Love the breakfast on the go idea! Good luck with the challenge 🙂

16 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 11, 2010 at 11:16 am

wow, that’s a great deal! can’t wait to see what classes you hit up…i would do spin every time for the sole reason that i can’t afford a road bike 🙂

17 biz319 March 11, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’ve wanted to do the hot yoga, where you sweat a lot – but the only class that offers it by me is an hour away – and at 7:00 a.m. on a Saturday! 🙁

How nice for Sarah to show you the ropes!

18 mlreed89 March 11, 2010 at 11:35 am

You’ve had the Smuckers All Natural Honey peanut butter?!?!?! I’ve been looking for this for months and have never gotten my hands on it. I’m so jealous. I have memories of the occasional honey peanut butter jar sneaking itself into the kitchen cabinet when I was younger, and it was always such a yummy surprise. Sadly that stuff is all partially hydrogenated, so when I saw that Smuckers had a mainstream honey pb alternative I was so siked, but still no sign of it around me.

Overnight oats looks like a great packed breakfast. As a college student, I usually pack my breakfast 4 to 5 times a week. My favorite thing to do is put frozen fruit in a tuperware container with yogurt layers on top the night before. I also prep a bag of dry cereal and a few nuts. In the morning I toss the yogurt/fruit container and dry ingredients bag in a lunch bag with a freezer pack. When it’s time for breakfast just mix dry into wet and it’s fantastic, and it takes barely any effort the day of.

Hope you enjoy your new gym membership and classes!!

19 Meghann March 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

I found the jar at Wal-Mart in Tampa!

20 Kelly March 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

I’m such a baby when it comes to taking classes, I never want to do it alone.

21 JC March 11, 2010 at 11:45 am

Nice gym program! What gym do you attend (or is it a local one)? I’m in search of a new one that offers classes!

22 Meghann March 11, 2010 at 11:46 am

Yes, its local.

23 tlconrad March 11, 2010 at 11:52 am

awesome… sarahs arms are killer! i want arms like hers!

24 Dani March 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I wish my gym would participate in the 16 classes in 60 days! Sounds fun and who doesn’t like a challenge? 😉

25 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) March 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

16 classes? That’ll be a piece of cake for you! 🙂

26 NYCRunnerGirl March 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I have yet to take a spinning class! Can’t wait to hear what you think of it.

27 cara March 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Nice sounds like a great challenge. Now if only my gym would do that. haha.

28 KatieTX March 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I teach 6 classes a week as a fitness instructor…16 classes in 60 days in nothing haha. You can do it for sure! I teach indoor cycling. I am curious to see how they teach it at your gym. There is a difference between spinning and indoor cycling too! Hope you get to go to cycle tomorrow!

29 britchickruns March 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Awesome gym challenge – I would sooo be up for that if it were my gym!
Yay though, I can’t wait for Sarah’s post!

30 Ashley March 11, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I don’t belong to a gym but if I did I’d want to belong to one that had cool challenges like that! We used to do fitness challenges at work and I find them really motivating.

It’s funny that you said the key to eating breakfast every other day at your desk is pre-planning and creativity…I always eat my breakfast at work and I have the same thing every time–either a Pure bar and a Liberte Mediterranean yogurt or a LaraBar and a Chobani Greek yogurt. It’s funny what works for different people! 🙂

31 Karissa @ CardioFoodie March 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I love the idea of portable breakfast in a jar!

32 Darci March 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm

What a great challenge & a total bonus for you!! I should suggest that to my gym!!

PS I eat breakfast at work too after working out in the AM!

33 Lo-Jo March 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Good for you! I have yet to take a class at my gym, where I’ve been a member for over a year! I’m normally not nervous to join groups and activities, but for some reason I find these classes intimidating. Weird, huh?

34 tramey1 March 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm

That is an awesome promotion they are doing, you will nail it!

Eats looked tasty, as always!

35 Tay March 11, 2010 at 3:32 pm

That’s an awesome challenge! Cuz it really gets you going. And 16 classes in 60 days is not difficult at all!

36 lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 11, 2010 at 7:34 pm

If your gym has body attack, GO. You wont regret it.