more ยป" />

Turn That Frown Upside Down

by Meghann on March 9, 2010

Good Morning Everyone! I trust you all had a great night of sleep and are extra cheery this morning. Right? ๐Ÿ˜‰

I know I am!

This morning was the first early morning in a while that I was able to comfortably run in a tank top and running skirt. Boy, did I miss this weather! I ran 5 miles at a comfortable 9:15 pace and came home feeling refreshed, but not out of breath.

I am currently working on a training plan for my 50k on April 3rd. Since this will be a trail race in which I have no plans of shattering any speed records during, I plan to keep the plan light by focusing on endurance more than anything else. I also want to drop the plan so that I am only running 4 days a week, instead of my typical 5. This way I will have more time to focus on swimming and strength training.

It amuses me that just a few months ago a near empty jar of almond butter would bring a tear to my eye.

IMG_1387

Thanks to the โ€˜โ€ฆ in a jar conceptโ€™ an empty jar of nut butter is just the beginning with all the possibilities that will come from it!

My concept this morning was an old favorite – โ€œHot Cinnamon Apples in a Jarโ€

IMG_1390

I heated up a whole apple with some cinnamon and pumpkin butter until the apples were soft and syrupy. I then added the apples to the jar with a scoop of almond butter from a new jar, some plain yogurt, and pumpkin granola.

IMG_1397

The mix was very sweet, but really great. I love how all the extra bits of almond butter melted into the hot apple mix. Yum.

Check it out!

1 britchickruns March 9, 2010 at 10:13 am

Wow, a 50k trail race! That’s so mental ๐Ÿ˜€ I bet it’ll be amazing!!
Love the hot apple/granola/yogurt in a jar thing – good combo! I’ve got oats in a jar lined up for tomorrow, I’M SO EXCITED!!!

2 Can You Stay for Dinner March 9, 2010 at 10:16 am

Gorgeous photographs this morning! I love the greek yogurt peeking out of the almond butter jar!
Have a happy Tuesday!

3 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 9, 2010 at 10:25 am

Hot cinnamon apples sound so good right now! I do a similar thing with prune plums… you know, the little tiny ones? They’re just so comforting! Have a great Tuesday!

4 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie March 9, 2010 at 10:34 am

Love that you’re able to run in a tank top and skirt early in the morning. I’m hoping my days come soon to where it’s warm enough to shed my long pants, shirts and jacket! I’m ready for spring and summer!!!

5 krittie March 9, 2010 at 10:51 am

I LOVE the in a jar concept-especially oatmeal with trail mix ๐Ÿ™‚ I was meaning to ask you-what is your favorite type of nut butter and what brand do you prefer? I only ask because I recently tried Maranatha Almond Butter and I think it blew Barney Butter out of the water-just wondering which one is your fav, thanks!

6 Meghann March 9, 2010 at 11:16 am

I LOVE roasted crunchy almond butter from whole foods, its my absolute fave! I’m not a big fan of barney butter, its actually my least favorite almond butte because it reminds me of Jif – yuck!

7 theprocessofhealing March 9, 2010 at 10:54 am

Sooo jealous about your weather!! I miss running skirts ๐Ÿ™‚ They are awesome!
Yum yum your breakfast sounds fantastic!!! And gosh I know about the almost empty jars.. the things you can do with them!

8 Anna March 9, 2010 at 11:01 am

Wow, that trail run sound intense! Can’t wait to read more about it! I’ve never run in a running skirt, but they sure are cute!

9 Shannon (The Daily Balance) March 9, 2010 at 11:05 am

the trail race sounds so interesting! I’m sure it will be beautiful, too! SO jealous of your weather! we are currently experiencing a bit of a heat wave here – and it’s 50 degrees!

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

I give my empty nut butter jars to my dog and she goes wild for them!

11 Matt March 9, 2010 at 11:20 am

Are you going to try and get in a 20+ miler before the 50k?

12 Meghann March 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m still deciding. I almost want to treat Gasparilla as my last training run and then this month as taper. What do you think?

13 biz319 March 9, 2010 at 11:24 am

You are my hero Meghann – I am getting the courage up to sign up for a 5k! ๐Ÿ˜€

Jealous of your weather – although I can’t complain today – it’s sunny with a high of 45!!

14 meyergirl March 9, 2010 at 11:27 am

I am excited to think I will be running in a tank top this afternoon (for another PDR). It’s supposed to be almost 60!

15 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 9, 2010 at 11:35 am

that dollop of yogurt on top looks SOOOOOO good! i’m excited to see your training plans…a 50K trail race sounds really fun!

16 mlreed89 March 9, 2010 at 11:37 am

I totally agree on this “jar half full” outlook that bloggers have now that we’ve discovered that putting things in nut butter jars can be more fun that what we scoop out of them! I always look forward to the last scraps. I love oats in a jar with trail mix on top.. it’s the best way to do it. ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Kelly March 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

It’s going to be 58 in Philly today! Can’t wait to rock some running shorts outside!

18 NYCRunnerGirl March 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

Keep enjoying that great weather! I thought it was warm here – 45 degrees, which meant I didn’t need a jacket to run this morning. That’s practically shorts weather ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness March 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

You still have a lot of races on your schedule… I think you are officially addicted! ๐Ÿ˜‰

20 tramey1 March 9, 2010 at 11:54 am

just had some yummy OIAJ yesterday with the same brand of TJ’s Almond Butter…is it not fantasmic? There isnt one near us, so when I was in North Carolina a couple of weeks ago for an AFAA training, I bought 4 jars! lol

21 Gwen March 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I had never herad of this event! Great Falls is BEAUTIFUL! I hope you do a blogger meet-up while you’re here!

22 Lauren @Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful March 9, 2010 at 12:28 pm

The weather is even nice up North. It is amazing! I love my breakfasts in a jar…such a great invention!

23 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Wow can’t wait to hear about the 50k! Good luck with the training!

24 Evan Thomas March 9, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I thought the yogurt was whip cream, lol. Now that would be delicious!

25 masteringpublichealth March 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I also thought it was whipped cream! And am jealous of your geography, too.

26 Catherine March 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Haha I’ve had the same thought about my fiance re:blogging! Especially since he’s been so busy at work and gets home around 10pm every night lately I wish he had a blog so I could keep up on what’s going on in his world a little better. Can’t wait for his busy season to be over!

27 Devon @ FastFoodieCooks March 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Good luck with your first 50k! That is awesome. I am sure you will have a blast. Ultras are addicting, believe me! You do one just to mix things up from the road and suddenly, you can’t get enough. That was my experience. It took only my first 50k to make me fall in love with Ultras. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

I love running skirts too.

I can’t eat much in the way of grains or any other breakfast food, so a cooked up apple sounds amazing!

28 runningwithsass March 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm

great job on the run! it’s raining here all day! boo!

29 Sarah March 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Hi Meghann! I love your blog, but this is the first time commenting! I ran the Princess Half Marathon this past weekend and wanted to say I saw you with your “Run Blogger Run” sign!! Thanks for coming out and volunteering. Also, your a one of my running inspirations and I loved reading your Gasparilla race recap just a week before my first half marathon! Your are awesome! ;o)

30 weightwatchingfoodie March 9, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I have fallen for House over the last month. A co-worker has lent me the DVDs and I am now near the end of season 2…trying to catch up..lol