more ยป" />

'In a Relationship'

by Meghann on March 8, 2010

It’s official! I am now a proud card carrying gym member.

After a week of ‘dating,’ I decided my gym and I had a real future together. This afternoon our Facebook status went from ‘It’s Complicated’ to ‘In a Relationship.’ Hopefully the status change will be a permanent one!

If not, that’s fine too! I signed a month-to-month contract and as long as I give so many days notice, I can drop at any time. Sweet!

I celebrated the new relationship change with a short swim after work. Unfortunately, by the time I made my way to the pool all the lanes were full. :( I ended up sharing a lane with an adorable little girl who told me she was practicing her synchronized swimming. We had a contest to see who could swim the farthest without coming for air – I won 2 out of 3. :)

Before I left the office, I fueled up with a homemade granola bar.

Yesterday, I discovered these individual portions of minute brown rice and knew they would come in handy for quick and easy meals during the week.

The directions could not have been easier: remove film and microwave on high for 60 seconds.

The rice was a great base for the Mexican themed dish I had in mind.

Once the rice was heated I added it to a mix of black beans, carrot, onion, corn, and spinach mix I had cooking on the stove top.

Once everything was heated I topped the Mexican rice mix with avocado, olives, and blue corn chips.

The meal came together in less than 5 minutes, but you would never know it from tasting it. It was full of flavor, spice, and the chips gave each bite a great crunch. Yum.

The freezer produced one of Amanda’s Blondies for dessert.

Does anyone watch House? Tonight’s episode featured a blogger who was dealing with a mysterious illness. My favorite quote from the show had to be when the girl turns to her boyfriend and says “I wish you were a blogger so I would know what you’re thinking. ” That line made me chuckle. :)

TIme for sleep.

Good night!

1 Julia March 8, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I’m glad you’re liking the gym. When I saw your gym card I about died. I worked out at one of the other gyms in that chain when I was living in Michigan. They have great equipment and great classes in my opinion!
I can’t wait to watch House tonight!

2 Mish March 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I think it’s an interesting thing to be blogging and then have people who you interact with on a daily basis your your inner thoughts/struggles etc. I am ALWAYS weary of having men who I am going on dates with etc. find me online. I have had one guy find me on YouTube and then read my blogs and watch my videos. It surprised me how open I have been with random people..and yet I felt a bit weird about someone like that being part of my life. It’s an interesting balance as a blogger, but I wouldn’t and won’t hold back because of that.

3 poiseinparma March 8, 2010 at 11:01 pm

My relationship status with my gym would be “it’s complicated” even after being a member for over four years. I can’t believe I put up with the BS that I do at Bally Total Fitness. Hope your gym relationship isn’t as “complicated” as mine!

I was watching that House episode tonight too, and chuckled at the same line that you pointed out :)

4 theprocessofhealing March 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Haha I love that line!!! It’s amazing how much you share with the world through blogging…

5 Dori March 8, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I LOVE HOUSE (as evidenced by my Twitter page). I need to find that race. I am too lazy to make rice generally…

6 Ashley March 8, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I’m kind of over my gym and am looking forward to a new, exciting relationship with a better, more fulfilling gym once I move!

7 Sara March 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I watched House! Actually, that line made me feel like I always feel about my blog: I wish I could be more open on it. But I’m still a bit reserved. I couldn’t say everything I’d want to say on there or my family (some of my most loyal readers…feel free to stop by!) may disown me. :)

8 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I love House but didn’t see it tonight… the blogger quote is so true though! I know a lot more about some bloggers day to day life than my own (in real life) friends.

9 Matt March 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I watched that episode! It was pretty interesting!

10 Kayla March 8, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I love those little cups of rice, so handy! And I’m really glad you just joined a gym, we’re planning to do that soon and I’m glad to see someone else going through the new relationship process :)

11 tramey1 March 8, 2010 at 11:26 pm

looool. I wish I could change my status to “in an abusive relationship” as thats what my gym like feels like, at times!

12 Kelly March 8, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Ugh, Lucky. I’m stuck in a three year contract until next summer!!! It’s the worsssssssssst.

13 Rose March 8, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Your new love is kinda hot. Go gym!

14 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 8, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I didn’t watch tonight’s ep just yet – I recorded it on the DVR while we were out grocery shopping, now I’m even more eager to watch it! I tend to be reserved on my blog, but am trying to loosen up a bit :-)

15 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 8, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I hope you and your gym have a glorious new relationship! I love belonging to a gym!

16 christina cadden March 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm

mmm, looks amazing!

17 caronae March 9, 2010 at 12:09 am

I love House but missed tonight’s episode. Ahgh! Can’t wait till it’s online. Sounds fun for bloggers!

18 Jenna March 9, 2010 at 12:13 am

Yummy dinn!

19 lindsayruns March 9, 2010 at 12:54 am

My husband is obsessed with House (I would say equal to mine and the blogging world) and was watching it when I got home from a meeting. I caught the last few minutes. He turned to me and said “You missed House. It was about some crazy blogging chick. You would have appreciated her weirdness.” Haha, he won’t ever get it. :)

20 britchickruns March 9, 2010 at 3:25 am

Hahah good line! I’ve never seen House – that’s the medical one right, with Hugh Laurie? It looks like it should be good but it’s always on at some stupid o’clock hour here :(
LOVE the dinner!

21 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 9, 2010 at 6:22 am

haha what a cute post :) I wish you and ‘gym’ many happy years together :)

22 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 9, 2010 at 7:55 am

I think you’re going to find that the gym helps you to keep your workout routine fresh. When I didn’t belong to one, I would get into exercise ruts because all I would do was run and use the same at-home DVDs all the time. I don’t go to the gym everyday, but it helps to have access to such a wide variety of exercise equipment, classes, etc.

23 Becky March 9, 2010 at 8:35 am

I’m in a committed relationship with my gym and it’s become my second home! I could never give up my membership because I’d miss the people there so much. And I have a major Mexican craving, so that dinner looks perfect!

24 jentrinque March 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

Fancy gym card! At my gym I just tell them my name and I’m in!

25 Emily March 9, 2010 at 8:54 am

I LOVE House, I haven’t seen that episode yet though, so excited!

26 Jamie in Arkansas March 9, 2010 at 9:12 am

Meghann,
That minute rice is one of my STAPLES!! :)
I even put in my oatmeal! It makes a great addition to a wrap too!
I keep them on hand at all times and they’re great for work lunches because they only take a minute! Glad you discovered them! :)

27 Anna March 9, 2010 at 9:24 am

Yum! That mexi-bowl looks delicious! You’re going to love having a gym again I bet!

28 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 9, 2010 at 9:27 am

Way to make a commitment! I’m sure you’ll love the new gym :)

29 meyergirl March 9, 2010 at 9:27 am

I hope you and your gym are happy together for a long, long time. I love my gym. They have lots of locations so it’s convenient no matter where I am (usually). Also, they sponsor 5Ks (I’m doing one this weekend) and send out health information e-mails. :)

30 Heather March 9, 2010 at 9:48 am

I watched House!! That was definitely the best line! I also liked when House said something like what does she blog about “….cooking? I could use some recipes!” Loved it :)

31 runningwithsass March 9, 2010 at 10:11 am

that quote form house is too cute!

32 Janie March 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

I love House too! I was so excited for a new episode and this was a good one. Did you ever watch That 70′s Show? That was one of my favorites when I first started college…the blogger was Donna Pinciotti! :)

33 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

that sounds like such a great dinner…i’m glad you added black olives to it, too! i was starting to think i was a weirdo for liking olives in Mexican food :)

34 Christy March 9, 2010 at 11:56 am

I thought that was a great episode of House! I thought about all the blogs that I read and how you feel like you know people even though I don’t.

35 The Linz March 9, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Those little rice bowls are so cute! I love your lunch idea, sounds delish and easy to make! And yay for joining a gym. I love having the option to go there and join in a group excersize class or just lift some weights from time to time. But I still love to run outside too. Now you have the best of both worlds!

36 foodlovingpolarbear March 9, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Good for you finding a great gym! :) I recently found a fantastic gym, but they only have 12 month and 24 month memberships and it sucks.

Anyway, I love your blog and your eats always look sooooo good!:)

37 missyrayn March 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Congrats on the gym membership. Since I live way up north I couldn’t survive the winter without one.

How cute that you and the little girl were challenging each other. :-)

38 Lee March 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Hi Meghann,

Long time lurker, first time commenter. Thought I would share a tip about freezing brown rice so you can save money and still enjoy rice in a few minutes.

When I make rice, I make a big pot so I have leftovers. I used to freeze the leftovers in little individual baggies, but I felt bad about the waste. Then I came upon the idea to make little brown rice “pucks” with a 1/2 cup measuring cup. I place all the pucks on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once they’re frozen then go into one big ziploc baggie and I can grab one at a moments notice.

Hope you it works for you!

39 Kath March 10, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I tried that rice a year ago and thought it was awful!! Tasted like dried up mice poop.