Cheering on the Princesses

by Meghann on March 7, 2010

A BIG CONGRATS to all the lovely Princesses who ran the Disney Princess Half this morning!

You ladies ROCK! and it was a pleasure to cheer each and everyone of you on! :)

Derek and I ended up staying up way too late last night which meant 3:30am came way too early this morning. We were like zombies making our way to Disney World for our 4:45am check in at the volunteer tent.

We nearly kissed the ground when we discovered the hot beverage station set up for volunteers. Four cups of highly caffeinated hot tea later I was ready to cheer on some princesses!

Upon arrival we were immediately hooked up with a snack pack.

And a nifty lime green shirt.

I came prepared with the sign. ;)

Derek and I were officially signed up to be Screaming Fans inside Epcot. I knew from my previous screaming fan volunteer experience (recap here) this meant our job would be to stand on the sidelines and scream and cheer each and every runner on. I was particularly looking forward to cheering on the wonderful bloggers and readers I had lunch with yesterday (including my sister!!).

We had a bit of a wait so I dug into the Almond Butter & Pumpkin Butter Sandwich I had packed myself last night.

I pre-packed a lunch sack for the two of us last night. We nibbled our way through the bag of snacks throughout the morning.

My share included an apple

and a homemade granola bar

Around 5:30 our team leader gathered us up and we began the 30 minute trek to our cheer spot inside Epcot. We were placed about a quarter mile from the end; sandwiched somewhere between spaceship earth and mile 13.

We had time to kill before the first cyclists and runners came by so I snuck up to mile 13 and caught a sneak beak of the end.

Loved the storyboard mile markers! :)

About an hour after the official start of the race the first cyclist passed us.

And then the first runners.

In true princess fashion, the women dominated the entire race! The first male didn’t pass by until the first women had been long gone.

I took my job title of ‘screaming fan’ very seriously!

I got quite a few looks and comments on my sign. I think it was a hit! I even had a few runners recognize me! Thanks for saying Hi ladies!!

Derek rocked it out as well!

The first familiar face to stroll by was Princess Gina.

She was kicking butt and taking names. Go Gina!!

Princess Kate (whom I met yesterday) was next and I was so excited to get this killer photo of her.

Of course my camera went crazy as soon as I saw my sister come around the corner! I only managed to get this one shot of her.

She surprised me by wearing a tutu! She looked ADORABLE and was kicking butt. Go Kelly!

Kelly’s official chip time was 1:51:37!! A NEW PR!!!!! I was so proud! :) Next year we are going to run this race together in full princess get up. Right, Kelly? ;)

Stay tuned because Kelly took some video during the race and has granted Inner Workings.. with the exclusive rights to debut the finished product.

Ashley passed us a little while later looking strong and on her way to a new PR!

Despite having just finished the Gasparilla marathon last weekend, she decided last minute to run the Princess today. She looked great and as always was full of smiles. :)

I was surprised to see quite a few princesses pass by sporting their Gasparilla Marathon finisher shirts from last Sunday. The reason why I had not registered for the princess half was the fact it took place the weekend after Gasparilla. However, if I had known before that my legs would be feeling so great after the race, then I would have registered in a heart beat. I promise next year i will be running this race no matter what!

Megan was the final runner I was able to get a photo of that I recognized.

Yesterday she was scared out of her mind and today she was on cloud nine heading to the finish line. Megan is proof that fear has no place on race day! Believe in yourself and everything else will just slide into place – I promise!

Four hours of cheering our little hearts out later, the last runners made their way to the finish line.

And with that the Princess Half was officially over.

We packed up and made our own way to the finish line.

I know we didn’t exactly run the race, but it was still exciting to walk under the princess themed finish line.

The main perk of volunteering for Disney races?!?

The free park pass you earn at the end!

I’m going to save that baby for something special. ;)

All morning I had been promising Derek a big meal once we were done with our shift. When that time came we wasted no time heading downtown and checking out what Hue’s brunch menu had to offer.

We started with a bread basket.

I was starving and immediately dove in.

For brunch I ordered the veggie scramble with egg whites and a side of potatoes.

Derek had the chocolate chip pancakes.

And was happy to share with me. :)

I am now in desperate need of a nap. I have been up since 3:30am and have no voice. Big, comfy bed – here I come!

1 poiseinparma March 7, 2010 at 3:56 pm

What a great experience! This makes me want to volunteer at the Cleveland Marathon this May. I really considered running the 10K earlier in the year, but my work schedule (I have a HUGE event the week before) and my lack of running in the past two months wreck that idea. But I could still volunteer – thanks for the kick in the pants!

2 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs March 7, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Great recap!! I never realised they got people in officially to cheer…no matter though, I always find cheering folk REALLY help! It makes me feel famous and I always end up smiling :p
Gosh such an early start though.,.no wonder you were zombie-ish :s
Congrats to all the bloggy runners who did it :D

3 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 7, 2010 at 4:13 pm

You’re the best cheerleader ever–I wish I were there running just so I could have seen the poster and heard your voice! A free park pass is worth A LOT!!!

4 Mara @ What's For Dinner? March 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm

You make me want to volunteer to be a screaming person at another race in Chicago!!!

5 thirtyandhealthy March 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm

That just makes me want to go to Disney World. I went when I was 13 and cried during the fireworks as they were so beautiful. I was a strange child! Well done for getting up at 3am to cheer people on!

6 emily March 7, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thank you for being a cheerleader!

7 jentrinque March 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm

So fun! I had a friend who was supposed to run this but couldn’t last minute :( I wish I was there!

8 Heather March 7, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I love that “cheering” is an official volunteer position!! I wish more races did that! And I love Derek in the tiara t-shirt ;)

9 Megan @ Megzz Wins At Life March 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Thank so much for you sign! It was just what I needed at that moment.. also thanks for all your words of encouragement yesterday.. You are such an inspiration to me as a runner.. My official chip time was 1:23:50.. not bad for my first marathon…

On another note: I should have listened to you about the phone.. I am sad to say I have a broken blackberry from shoving it in my bra… o well.. live and learn..

10 Run Sarah March 7, 2010 at 5:58 pm

LOVE the sign! What a fun volunteer experience and awesome perk with the free pass!

11 Heather March 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

how cute :) that’s so awesome that you cheered everyone on…so fun!

12 Evan Thomas March 7, 2010 at 6:07 pm

You’re such a supportive supporter! Derek in that shirt made me lol a little

13 christie @ honoring health March 7, 2010 at 6:08 pm

What an awesome thing for you to do!

Enjoy your nap!

14 Anna March 7, 2010 at 6:24 pm

How wonderful that you cheered everyone on!!! Looks like it was almost (ALMOST :-) ) as fun as running it! :-)

15 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Wow what a great day! I wish we had an event like that in this town – it looks like so much fun!!

16 gina (fitnessista) March 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm

thank you so much for the shout out and for cheering us on!
i was so happy to see your beautiful face!
xoxo

17 Camile (ClassroomConfessions) March 7, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Hey, thanks for cheering us on!

18 inmytummy March 7, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I love that Kelly wore a tutu! That is awesome.

19 katy March 7, 2010 at 7:38 pm

ahhh how did i miss the hot beverage station? i must have REALLY needed it. it was a fun (and early!) morning anyway! :)

20 Gabriela (froyolover) March 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm

WOW – looks like you and Derek had quite a day!
Must have been SO fun!
Lovely pics… I´m sure the whole day was worth it ;)
Have an amazing week, Meghann!
Brazilian XOXO´s,
Gabriela

21 Rachel March 7, 2010 at 8:12 pm

That looks like such a fun morning despite the early wake up. You and Derek are awesome for cheering all the runners on. I think I would like volunteering for something like that – I didn’t know there was such a thing!

22 missyrayn March 7, 2010 at 8:24 pm

You are the people I love at the end of races. Pushes me to finish strong. Thanks for what you did.

23 Emilyeatsclean March 7, 2010 at 8:50 pm

What a fun experience and a great recap of it all!! Looks like volunteering is just about as much fun as running the race itself!!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

24 christina cadden March 7, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Looks like fun!

25 runningwithsass March 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

looks so fun and like beautiful weather! Looks like you were standing close to where the gospel choir was for the disney JAnuary half. Boy was a in need of cheering at that point. Cool you get a park pass!

26 theprocessofhealing March 7, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Chocolate chip pancakes..YUM! Haven’t had those since I was little :D
Congrats to all the runners!!! That is so cool. Let’s add it to the list of reasons I want to move to Florida…

27 Jes March 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I think it’s great that you volunteered! The worst race I ever ran was due to the lack of cheering. Also, I love Hue for dinner, but I have never been for breakfast. I will have to check that out!

28 meyergirl March 7, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Good for you for cheering everyone else on! I gotta tell ya…I probably couldn’t have done it…3:30 AM!!!

29 TorontoGirloutWest March 8, 2010 at 3:14 am

That looks like one seriously well organized race and a total blast!!!! ?

30 NYCRunnerGirl March 8, 2010 at 8:37 am

You guys are great volunteers! It was so nice that you were able to get everyone’s picture. Congrats to all the runners!

31 Brittany March 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

Well shoot- as you probably noticed from my comment on your last post I thought you were running this one. Sorry about that little mix up!

It looks like you and Derek had a blast cheering all the ladies on. Volunteering at races is a fun experience I need to do it more often!

32 Jordan March 8, 2010 at 9:42 am

Love the pictures! I was supposed to run but travel plans didn’t work out. I’m arriving at Disney 2 days late. :)

I’ll be there next year though! A few months pregnant…maybe.

33 Krit March 9, 2010 at 12:18 am

Oh my gosh! I totally saw that sign but I didn’t see your face because at that point I had my eye on the prize ;-) Thank you for being a volunteer! You were definitely in the right place because you know how hard that last mile can sometimes be.

34 allisonisactive March 9, 2010 at 11:39 am

I saw your sign!!! I was running with my two friends, and they were like, “Oh, Allison, there’s a sign for you!” We were going to get a picture with it but we’d stopped too many times for pics already. :) I had no idea it was you! Thanks for the encouragement.

35 musingsofthegranolagirl March 9, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I saw you and your sign!!
It was such a fun race but SOOOOO COLD in the beginning! My arms were frozen elbow down!

There’s a picture of me post-race on my blog http://musingsofthegranolagirl.wordpress.com

36 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep March 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Awesome sign! And thanks for volunteering! I said “hi” as I was running by, but you may not have recognized me from the blogger meetup :)