more ยป" />

Anti-Gym?

by Meghann on March 4, 2010

For the past two years I’ve been what one might consider ‘anti-gym.’

Well maybe not so much ‘anti-gym’ as I was anti – being locked in to spending $XX a month. Especially when I felt I could a decent work out at home with a pair of running shoes, work out dvds, and hand weights.

However, over the last month or so I’ve found myself lusting over spinning classes, body pump, treadmills with TVs built in, real weights, and a heated olympic sized pool that I could begin training for my next triathlon in. I want a real gym membership and all the fun amenities that comes with it.

I’ve been researching gyms in my area for the last couple of weeks and found one down the street that includes everything I wanted, plus a couple of things I didn’t know I wanted (hello, techno-key equipment!). I had a tour yesterday and decided to take advantage of the free week pass before I signed any paperwork.

If yesterday was my introduction to the gym, then today was our first date. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I headed there straight from work to get a good 30 minute session in at the pool. So far, so good. The pool was warm, there was plenty of open lanes, and everyone seemed really nice and friendly. Yippee!!

Tomorrow I’m going to test out the state of the art treadmills and weight machines and Sunday or Monday I plan on testing out one of the nifty classes. I think this is a start of a beautiful relationship!

Before I headed to the gym I fueled up with a homemade granola bar.

Dinner tonight was based in layers.

Layer #1 – Okra, ham, and eggplant that I heated on the stove top in a little olive oil

Layer #2 – 1 serving of ravioli

Layer #3 – Marinara sauce

All together

with a piece of cornbread that really didn’t fit in with the meal, but still tasted delicious.

Dessert was half of a bagel thin with almond butter, fresh strawberries, and chocolate.

mmm… chocolate + strawberries + almond butter = perfection!

Everyone please keep my Mom in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow morning. She is having an unexpected routine surgery and needs all the good vibes she can get.

LOVE YOU MOM!!!

1 Erin March 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I hope everything goes okay with your Mom tomorrow. Sending positive vibes.

Dinner looks delicious — a great mix of flavors and ingredients.

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I am such a gym rat, I don’t think I could ever be anti-gym no matter how tight my budget. I’ve been blessed to have a great gym at school but who knows where I’ll end up post graduation! There’s something about a group of people all working out together…like a workout family (that was lame).

Lovin’ the looks of that dessert. I’ve been on a chocolate rampage lately.

I’m wishing your Momma the best!

3 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) March 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I will pray for your mom!

I recently visited a gym too and fell in love with everything you mentioned, plus the Cardio Cinema (aka a movie theatre with treadmills). I’m still deciding though if it fits into my budget, gotta do some adjusting ๐Ÿ˜‰

4 Jacquie March 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I’m sending all the smiles and love to your mommy. ๐Ÿ™‚

5 theprocessofhealing March 4, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I”ll be sending good thoughts your family’s way girl ๐Ÿ™‚

And yay for the gym! I felt the same for the longest time – why pay money when I can get a great workout at home? But I finally caved and I have never looked back.

6 Alison March 4, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I was anti gym for a long time, but now that I’ve been a gym member for several years, I couldn’t imagine not going. I really enjoy the group exercise classes; it’s great motivation.
Best wishes to your mom tomorrow.

7 Evan Thomas March 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I’ll be thinking for your mom! All the best wishes

8 feetinmotion March 4, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I love ravioli!! Thoughts are with you and your mom, I’m sure she’ll do great!!

9 jentrinque March 4, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Aw, I hope your mom gets through it quickly and painlessly. I’m sure she’ll be just fine ๐Ÿ™‚

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 4, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I LOVE my gym. I’ve had a membership there for 6 years. I kept it even when I moved away to Toronto for 1 year and a half because I would use it when I came home on weekends.

11 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Hope everything goes ok for your mom ๐Ÿ™‚

If I lived in a place with better weather I might be anti-gym too!

12 Beth @ fatbustermack March 4, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I’m currently anti-gym. I own a treadmill and I’m intimidated by classes, so I guess this works out well. Your mom is in my thoughts!

13 Matt March 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I hope your mom is OK! Keep us posted!

14 Emilyeatsclean March 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Ohhh your bagel, PB, strawberries, and chocolate combo look delicious! Thinking about your mom…..

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

15 meyergirl March 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I am enrolled in a gym, but haven’t been going the past couple of weeks because of an injury and then I needed to concentrate on running because I’m behind on my 8K training. Once this 8K is over I can take it down a notch (it’ll be another month or more before the next race) and get back to strength training!

16 Karla March 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I enjoy gyms for their warmth. When it’s below 10 degrees out, an indoor workout is essential ๐Ÿ™‚ Totally understand your point in Florida though!

17 Molly March 4, 2010 at 11:08 pm

ah your mom is in my thoughts and prayers for sure tonight. Sending all my love and faith your way!

and p.s. your dessert looks bomb!

xo-Molly

18 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 4, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I became a gym person when in college, and love having the use of free weights and cardio equipment.

I am hoping everything goes really well for your mom. Sending good vibes!

19 lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 4, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I couldn’t live without a gym! It’s so nice to have a place to go for a running alternative.

I also love being able to go somewhere and “get away.” I could never be a person that works out at home.

20 lindsayruns March 4, 2010 at 11:36 pm

good vibes and prayers for your mom ๐Ÿ™‚

I love our gym, right now they are free, but I think when we are out of the military I’ll still pay, I love options and would rather cut cable then the gym! But come baby time, I might prefer to build up a home spot…

21 Ashley March 4, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Sending good vibes to your mom from NYC where she was so happy and vibrant just a month or so ago!

I’m a total gym rat now but I love that my gym has it all (spa for massages 1x per month, spin/cardio classes, and great weight machines, yoga, and pilates classes). I can’t stand having multiple memberships because one inevitably is ignored!

22 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie March 5, 2010 at 12:07 am

I canceled my gym membership last fall because I felt like I wasn’t taking advantage of it like I should and wasting major money each month but we’ll see what happens later down the road. The strength training at home and marathon training is sufficing for now.

Praying for your mom!!!

23 Heather March 5, 2010 at 12:32 am

i’ll definitely be praying for your mom…my dad just had surgery a couple weeks ago and i know he appreciated all of the thoughts and prayers he could get! can’t wait to hear more about the gym… ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Steel Springs March 5, 2010 at 2:36 am

I hope everything goes smoothly for your mom tomorrow.

25 Rachel (Running Rachel) March 5, 2010 at 3:45 am

Fingers crossed for your mum – I’m sure all will go well ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m also pretty anti-gym – I love runnig outside, so I always resented paying for a monthly contract. I’ve found a gym that offers pay-as-you-go sessions and classes, so I tend to use that when the weather’s too bad to go outside, or I fancy a class.

LOL at the cornbread again! Another item that doesn’t feature in our meals over here (England), I’ve never tried it, but it looked pretty easy to make, so maybe I shall have to give it a go. Hope it’ll be worth it! ๐Ÿ˜€

26 britchickruns March 5, 2010 at 3:54 am

All the best to your mum, I hope it goes well!!
I’m glad your first date went well – I’m looking to meet a decent gym myself, but there seems quite the shortage near me :'(

27 Jessica Zara March 5, 2010 at 5:48 am

Glad you’re enjoying the gym! My membership is pretty crucial for me because winter in the UK is a killer for outside running…unless you want to risk a broken ankle on icy roads.

Hope all goes well for your Mom.

~Jess~
xoxoxo

28 Becky March 5, 2010 at 8:18 am

Thinking of your mom today – hope all goes well. Those bagel thins look awesome. I’m not a big bagel person, but they look better than sandwich thins…gotta try!

29 Kelly March 5, 2010 at 8:51 am

I’m scared of the pool at my gym. Is that weird? I want to get into swimming to give my IT band some rest but germs scare me. haha.

30 inmytummy March 5, 2010 at 10:13 am

Keeping your mom in my thoughts. I hope she is okay.

31 NYCRunnerGirl March 5, 2010 at 11:12 am

Your mom is in my thoughts this morning! Hope all goes smoothly.

32 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I will definitely send positive vibes your family’s way. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve always been anti-gym too but I really want to be able to take zumba, spinning and weight lifting classes so I’ve been changing my tune.

33 Rae March 5, 2010 at 3:51 pm

yay for triathlon training! You’ll love the pool…its soo nice for getting a workout in when you legs are tired!!

Keeping your mom in my thoughts!