Fruit Leather & Almond Butter Sandwich

by Meghann on March 3, 2010

Have you ever heard of a Fruit Leather & Almond Butter Sandwich?

IMG_0860

Me neither. Which is why I thought it would be fun to give it a try this morning. πŸ˜‰

You start out with fruit leather and Barney Butter.

IMG_0857

Separate the fruit leather and smear with barney butter.

IMG_0858

Place the other half of the fruit leather back on top and enjoy.

IMG_0862

Nom Nom Nom

I’d say that was one tasty, creative snack. πŸ˜‰

I have another Doctor’s appointment this afternoon (Don’t worry, I’m fine! Just another routine test) so I packed my lunch to eat while I worked at my desk.

IMG_0865

Thank god I was smart enough to pack this last night! If I had waited until this morning I would have been screwed on time.

IMG_0863

Once again, my lunch was made up of several parts that had to be assembled in the office kitchen.

IMG_0866

I packed a salad base of spinach, olives, tomato, and corn with a side of black bean burger balls and salsa. I heated the balls in the toaster then added them to the salad base with the salsa.

IMG_0876

IMG_0877

Expect to see left over cornbread as a part of every meal until it is gone. πŸ™‚

IMG_0870

I think cornbread has to be one of my favorite types of bread. I could have a piece with breakfast, lunch, and dinner and not get sick of it.

IMG_0867

Post-lunch starburst

IMG_0878

Time to get back to work! I’ve got things to do and people to see. πŸ™‚

1 Heather March 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

nom nom nom is right! i love fruit leather, and i bet it tastes AH-mazing with that nut butter on it! i think i might be hitting up WF later to buy some… πŸ™‚

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Haha I made pumpkin cornbread for Thanksgiving and definitely ate it for bfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and dessert until the whole pan was polished off. Something about it is so lovely–the little cornmeal pieces? The sweet yet savory? Who knows.

3 Evan Thomas March 3, 2010 at 2:20 pm

That’s really creative! I like it a lot more than the gluten free breads I’ve looked at πŸ™‚
At first I thought the title of this said full leather. I didn’t know what to think

4 Laura Georgina March 3, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Your office lunch/containerfest looks so much prettier than my messy equivalent! And the cornbread has been tempting me since yesterday, when I saw it and planned on making some (but was too tired to go get cornmeal at the store; in retrospect, gluttony should’ve beaten laziness).

Good luck at the doctor’s office!

5 theprocessofhealing March 3, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I looove cornbread too! Especially pumpkin cornbread, yum!

6 britchickruns March 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm

aaahh cornbread – one of my favourites too! I’m gutted I finished all of my cornbread muffins the other day πŸ™
GENIUS snack idea – that looks incredibly delcious! Ahh you’re so creative Meghann, I love it!

7 dianacheung March 3, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Meghann you can eat anything as long as there is almond/peanut butter on top!!! I’m the same way πŸ˜‰

8 jentrinque March 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm

mmm, fruit leather and peanut butter sandwich. Good idea!

9 Christie @ Honoring Health March 3, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Creative idea!

10 Matt March 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Haha nice snack!

11 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self March 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I think I’ll have an almond butter/fruit leather sandwich as my afternoon snack! πŸ™‚

12 Krystle March 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Where do you buy the fruit leather? I do not have a FW around here.. does Publix or Fresh Market sell them?

13 Shannon (The Daily Balance) March 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

sounds like an interesting take on PB & J!

p.s. cornbread is the BEST

14 mal March 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

i totally agree with you on cornbread- it never gets boring! i love it, so i save it for special occasions and always savor every last piece πŸ™‚
enjoy the rest of your wednesday!

15 Fallon March 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Cornbread is amazing!

16 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet March 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Awesome snack, and I LOVE cornbread!! I have a slight obsession. If it’s served, I can’t stop at one piece. It may be my kryptonite.

17 Julie @ Wearing Mascara March 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Love the snack creation! One little Starburst? At least it’s a good flavor. Mad props for sticking to one piece!

18 Ellie March 3, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Sorry if you answered this in comments earlier, I was just wondering–I think I recall that you would typically let Maddie out on your lunch break on days you ate lunch at home? Does she get lonely/still need to go out during the day when you eat lunch at work?
My parents and I always say how too bad it is that we can’t let our dog know when to expect us home!

19 krittie March 3, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I really try to keep candy out of my diet because I have such a sweet tooth, but starbursts and Mike n Ikes will always be allowed πŸ™‚

20 tramey1 March 3, 2010 at 3:54 pm

<3 the leather sammie! And the starburst looks adorable all by its lonesome. I am almost in the market for a new camera, and adore yours. What kind is it? I love my cannon, but I want a "fancier" camera for blog pics.

21 Kristina @MendonPondMusings March 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I love using my Lululemon bag to bring lunch to work. So handy.

22 NYCRunnerGirl March 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm

That looks like a yummy salad! It’s the type of lunch that usually gets interesting looks from my coworkers. πŸ™‚

23 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 3, 2010 at 4:32 pm

That looks way better than the lunches I pack myself for work!

24 Catherine March 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm

delightful snack idea!! I’m totally having food envy right now…

25 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 3, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I am serioulsy in love with that ‘lunch’ bag!

26 christina cadden March 3, 2010 at 5:37 pm

It all looks yummy!

27 Tracey March 3, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I’ve got to order some of that Barney Butter. I wish they sold it in the stores around me but they don’t:(

I also must say, that is a great lunch bag!

28 luckytastebuds March 3, 2010 at 7:00 pm

No kidding about the cornbread!!! It is DEFINITELy at the top there with my favorite breads too.

And yes, that is a creative snack indeed, though i’ll need a few moments to let the combination sink in…must try VERY hard to imagine what the snack tastes like. hahahah

29 Tamera March 3, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Wow I just now saw that my ocmment about you eating low cal foods sparked so many other comments. I didn’t mean to cause any controversy on your blog!

Okay, so in regards to Caitlin, I don’t think she gets comments because she is right, she DOES eat enough. She eats real bread, a portion size of PB/AB and large enough snacks throughout the day!! Meghann, I am sorry, but you eat low cal everything. Your bread is low cal, you always use egg whites, you eat a half a cup of low calorie frozen yogurt, ETC, ETC. I just never see you LIVE a little. When you are training for marathons and running as much as you do, it’d be nice to see you treat yourself every once in awhile. That is all. I just want you to take care of yourself. I really do mean well, even if I come across as rude. Sorry!

30 jessica March 4, 2010 at 1:26 am

Your comment sparked many other comments because you are not Meghann. You do not know how she feels every day and how her body works because… you are not Meghann. The girl eats dessert every night – maybe you should read her blog.

31 runningwithsass March 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I have never even heard of fruit leather. interesting!

32 Becky March 3, 2010 at 8:44 pm

You always come up with the most creative combos! Looks tasty – although I think almond butter is tasty on anything!

33 M March 3, 2010 at 9:19 pm

How many times does Meghann have to go out to dinner, order dessert, stop for a sundae, etc, before people will freaking get that she eats what she wants when she wants, and does NOT restrict?

Honestly, since when is eating how you want and indulging when you feel like it — and not using a marathon as an excuse to gorge on unhealthy foods — not “living a little”?

34 Emilyeatsclean March 3, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Fruit leather and PB???? Interesting combo!!! I love cornbread too!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

35 fromatopink March 4, 2010 at 12:17 am

Love the pink Starbursts! Definitely my favorite. πŸ™‚

36 Marianne March 8, 2010 at 1:29 am

What kind of salsa are you using there?

{ 1 trackback }