more ยป" />

A Big Juicy Burger

by Meghann on March 2, 2010

Everyone should be happy to hear my laptop cord made it safe and sound to my office this afternoon. It feels good to have the power of the internet back at my finger tips this evening. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again Derek! You are amazing! ๐Ÿ˜‰

My afternoon flew by. One minute I was finishing lunch, the next I was interviewing an intern, and before I knew it it was well after 3:00 and my stomach was ready for a snack.

This bag of chocolate mini-wheats came in my swag bag for Gasparilla. It was a nice sweet treat in the middle of my day. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was really craving a big juicy burger for dinner tonight. Only I wasn’t craving just any burger, oh no, I was craving a big juicy black bean burger.

Yum!

I didn’t have any particular recipe in mind, so when I got home I just threw a bunch of random ingredients in the food processor that sounded right and let it go.

• 1 can Black Beans
  • 1/2 can Beets
  • 1/4 medium Onion
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
  • Cajun Spice
  • S&P

I formed two patties and 4 black bean balls then baked at 415 for 15 minutes

Obviously I need a new food processor.

I found these new bagel thins at Publix yesterday and figured they would make a great burger bun.

Salsa, Cheese, and Spinach rounded out my burger craving

The addition of the beet gave the burger a very earthy flavor and the ‘bun’ did a great job of hold everything together. Delicious.

Okra fries anyone?

How about parsnip?

I’ll take both, thank you very much.

Don’t forget the pickle. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The perfect all american meal, right?

I cleaned my plate tonight. Everything was perfect. ๐Ÿ™‚

A serving of Girl Scout Thin Mints did the trick of taming my sweet tooth after dinner.

I’m a bit behind on blog work thanks to a crazy weekend and an impromtu break last night. Time to start tackling my task list (which includes editing video from Gasparilla!).

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas March 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I definitely needed a burger today, too, but mine wasn’t black bean ๐Ÿ™‚ I forgot how good parsnip fries were! Definitely need to find me some of those.

2 Sara @ ActiveGal March 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Those girl scout cookies are my favorite!! Black bean burger sounds yummy, I am going to have to try that sometime!

3 theprocessofhealing March 2, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Your burger sounds great!!! This is the 2nd time i’ve seen black been burgers around the bloggie world tonight. I had a delicious veggie burger for dinner!

4 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) March 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

What does okra taste like? I’ve never had it!

Re: food processors — I found a 4-cup Cuisinart at BB&B for about $40, and it works amazingly well! Also, it takes up very little counter space, something that I don’t have much of in my kitchen…

5 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) March 2, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I made black bean burgers with tofu and eggplant several weeks back!! I’m pretty sure anyone would have believed they were beef ๐Ÿ™‚

6 amy March 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Quick question: what could I use in places of the beets in this recipe? Thanks!

7 Meghann March 3, 2010 at 9:37 am

You can try baked sweet potato ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Kelly March 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

You can use almost any veggie in black bean burgers!

9 Erin March 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I was just thinking about how great a veggie burger sounded but the frozen ones in Oz grocery stores look so unappealing. This sounds awesome. ๐Ÿ˜€

10 jenna March 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

what a great summer BBQ meal in the winter!!

11 Abby March 2, 2010 at 10:34 pm

My husband and I often crave black bean burgers! So good!

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I am LOVING parsnips right now ๐Ÿ˜€

I JUST finished blogging about it too, haha!

13 Matt March 2, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I had a black bean burger for lunch! It was from the freezer, but still tasted awesome.

14 Emilyeatsclean March 2, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I love black bean burgers, BUT I’ve never considered making my own!!! Great idea!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

15 NYCRunnerGirl March 2, 2010 at 11:30 pm

As soon as I saw the title for your post, I knew that it must mean black bean burgers! They look great!

16 Beth March 2, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I love black bean burgers, and somehow never thought to make them myself! How did you make the okra fries?

17 Meghann March 3, 2010 at 9:38 am

I just baked whole okra at 415 for 10 minuts

18 Fit Chick in the City March 2, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Can’t wait to see your video! You’re so creative in the kitchen, I’m beyond boring and stick with the boring Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers.

19 Britt March 3, 2010 at 12:02 am

yum! awesome looking dinner. I haven’t attempted making my own veggie burgers yet, but this looks easy enough!

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 3, 2010 at 12:25 am

Great looking eats! I love roasted parsnip – so delicious ๐Ÿ™‚

21 britchickruns March 3, 2010 at 4:20 am

Parsnip fries (or parsnip in any form) make the world go round…one of my favourite foods ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Tamera March 3, 2010 at 8:23 am

Why do you always eat such low calorie meals? Aren;t you running marathons?

23 Nicole March 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

That looks like a pretty significant meal to me. Why doesn’t anyone have a problem when a certain blogger who is training for a triathlon and doing two a days eats just a pb&J for dinner? Or when another blogger who has run multiple marathons in a row eats only oatmeal for dinner? I never see negative comments on their blogs…or maybe they just delete them?

24 Hangry Pants March 3, 2010 at 10:18 am

You can’t win. People ask me questions about why I eat so much. Awesome.

25 caitlin March 3, 2010 at 10:25 am

Since you’re obviously talking about me….

PB&J sandwiches have about 500 calories in it, just so you know.

Bread = 120 calories times two
PB = 190
Jelly = 70

Also, my weight hasn’t budged the entire time I’ve been training, so I’m clearly eating enough. Since we’re splitting hairs here, I’ll add that I gained 4 pounds at the end of marathon training and never lost that weight.

I haven’t deleted a comment from my blog in months (and it wouldn’t be because they said I don’t eat enough, I would just respond like I did right now to you – I delete comments when people make personal attacks on me or my family).

People aren’t complaining about whether or not I eat enough because I eat DO eat enough. Try adding up my calories on any day and you’ll see that I do.

Why don’t you just ask me instead of commenting on other people’s blogs?

26 caitlin March 3, 2010 at 10:36 am

And I’m not implying Meghann doesn’t eat enough. As someone who knows her in real life, I believe she eats more than enough and people should back off.

27 A Friend March 3, 2010 at 10:17 am

You know what, you’ve expressed your “concerns” for Meghann and her eating and exercising…I think she’s got the point, if she wants to take it at all into consideration. now leave it be and let the woman eat what she wants, when she wants, however much she wants, etc. She’s fine and dandy. Let the woman do what she wants without you badgering her every time she goes to eat something and run a race/run.

28 Kelly March 3, 2010 at 10:35 am

Caitlin, the Nicole comment was obviously me if you are reading twitter. I did not mean to “attack” you in any means. I just get frustrated that people seem to pick on Meghann but no one noticed a smidge when other bloggers happen to eat a smaller meal. Please don’t be mad at me!

29 caitlin March 3, 2010 at 10:37 am

kelly – i know that it was you now, i just had to respond because i don’t want people to think i delete comments right and left because i don’t. ๐Ÿ™‚ no worries

30 Anna March 3, 2010 at 8:34 am

Mmmm…I love parsnip fries! Unfortunately my husband does not ๐Ÿ™

31 jentrinque March 3, 2010 at 8:43 am

I wish every American ate your “All-American” burger and fries! We’ all be much healthier.

32 poiseinparma March 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

I did not know Thomas made bagel thins!!! When I make my egg sandwiches, I always end up cutting half of the bagel in half: now I don’t have to! You’ve made my day!

33 runningwithsass March 3, 2010 at 10:11 am

I love girl scout cookies! yummy!

34 Heather March 3, 2010 at 10:39 am

My food processor doesn’t do much in the way of processing either ๐Ÿ™‚ I really want to try okra like that, looks so good!

35 Sarah March 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Oh my goodness so many great recipes on my google reader today!! I’ve been feeling like eating more spring/summery meals since it’s gotten warmer and sunny here the last week, and yours looks perfect! Thanks for sharing your yummy dinner Meghann!

36 Anne P March 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm