more ยป" />

Gasparilla Traditions

by Meghann on February 27, 2010

When Derek asked what I wanted as my pre-marathon meal I immediately responded with “homemade pizza!”

Pizza is easily my favorite pre-marathon meal and I figured the night before a big race is not the time to be messing with a good thing. Plus we had so much fun preparing homemade pizzas during Gasparilla weekend last year, it seemed only fitting we continued the tradition.

Melissa started with the veggies.

While Derek got to work rolling out the pre-made whole wheat pizza dough

IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0523.JPG

We ended up with three personal sized pizza crusts

Hers and His pizza sauce

Toppings time!

Mine is on the left and Melissa’s is on the right.

My pizza was loaded with

• Sauce
  • Mushrooms
  • Red Onions
  • Zucchini
  • Tempeh
  • Tomato
  • Feta Cheese

HOT out of the oven!

Complete with a Honest Tea

The perfect pre-marathon meal. ๐Ÿ™‚

Continuing with Gasparilla Traditions I had 1/2 of one of Amanda’s Blondies.

Ironically she had sent me a batch right before Gasparilla last year as well. Love that girl!! ๐Ÿ™‚

My belly is full.

All of my gear is laid out.

The alarm is set.

And I am about 5 minutes away from crashing for the night.

I’d say I’m ready to run a marathon tomorrow!

Some of you have been asking about the friend I had originally registered to pace with for the marathon. Well, that friend ended up having to drop out due to a lingering injury. ๐Ÿ™ BUT, after speaking with Ashley today I’ve decided I am going to pace her instead!

Ashley has had a rough couple of days and it sounded like she could really use a buddy for tomorrow’s race. Her goal is to cross the finish line under 4:45 and I really think I can help her meet that goal. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you would like to track our progress tomorrow you can click here and search for Meghann Anderson.

Wish us luck tomorrow! The forecast right now calls for clear skies and a high of 64. Sounds like awesome marathon weather to me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good NIght!

1 Heather February 27, 2010 at 10:34 pm

those are my kind of traditions…pizza and blondies? yes please! hope you have a wonderful race tomorrow, and i’m so excited to see how it goes!

2 Kayla February 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Good luck! You’ll do awesome. And those pizza look really good ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Evan Thomas February 27, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Good luck!

4 Dori February 27, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Good luck!! The pizza looks so good!

5 Madelin @ What is for Breakfast? February 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm

All the best Meghann! What a hardcore weekend!

6 Jill February 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

You are a real inspiration! Good luck tomorrow. I’m running a wee little 5k in the morning so I’ll think of you if you think of me. ๐Ÿ™‚

7 thefitbride February 27, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Good luck to you AND Ashley!

8 theprocessofhealing February 27, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Your pizza sounds fabulous!!! Yay for carb loading!
Good luck girl! I know you will totally rock it ๐Ÿ˜€

9 Emilyeatsclean February 27, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Hoping to see you down there! ๐Ÿ™‚

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

10 Matt February 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Good luck tomorrow! I love homemade pizza ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 27, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Good luck!!!! Homemade pizza is the best!

12 Crystal February 28, 2010 at 12:38 am

Good luck! Tasty looking pizza, too!

So, you just ran two marathons, right? How many more do you have?

13 Jessica February 28, 2010 at 1:14 am

Meghann-The amount of running you are doing seems really excesive. No one runs a half marathon and a full marathon in the same weekend. I really hope you are taking care of yourself and not developing a serious exercise addiction.

14 Meghann February 28, 2010 at 5:20 am

Actually quite a few people run a half marathon and a full marathon in the same weekend. That is why they always sell out the Michelob Challenge and why the Goofy Challenge for Disney sells out within the first two months (the Goofy Challenge is the Half marathon on Sat and the the Full on Sun) The challenges are suppose to be fun, which is why I am not running any of the races full out. In fact all of my times so far have been my slowest 15k and 5k times on record.

Chill out. Its all fun, trust me. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Lauren February 28, 2010 at 8:35 am

I agree with Meghann. She’s trained for these events and is taking a very logical, fun approach to them. Ultramarathoners run greater distances in ONE day than someone who is running a half one day, and a marathon the next. And I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of those people train and run appropriately, too.

Meghann, I think your commitment to running is very impressive and motivating. Good luck today!

16 Melissa S. February 28, 2010 at 5:25 am

Meghann’s right. This event is totally for fun, she’s taking her time and enjoying the company of myself and other runners like Ashley while she’s out there. She has trained for this kind of running and is ready for it. Would you say the same thing to the people who do the century run in Death Valley? Or those people who run marathons every other weekend, in every state to match a goal?

Get a grip. She’s fine.

17 Jessica February 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm

@Melissa S.-“Get a grip?” No need to be hostile. We can all be polite and civil. I was merely expressing compassionate concern. And yes, I do think that running the century run in Death Valley, and running marathons every other weekend is excessive and unhealthy; it’s an extreme. Over-excercising is an addiction like any other. I am not saying that that is what is going on here, just that some people do have with exercise addiction and I was merely expressing concern. People can use exercise to fill a void in their life, and the excessive exercise causes harm to one’s body. That’s all.

18 Tamera February 28, 2010 at 9:42 am

Personally I don’t think she is running too much as long as she is properly fueling and she is properly trained. I think she is properly trained, but her fueling could definitely use some work. I don’t think she is eating nearly enough and therefore Meghann, I really think you should be taking care of yourself!

19 britchickruns February 28, 2010 at 4:34 am

GOOD LUCK!! I bet you’ll do great, especially with a new running partner ๐Ÿ™‚
I can’t wait for the recap, it’s going to be good!
Have a good sleep ๐Ÿ™‚

20 healthy ashley February 28, 2010 at 5:30 am

Your pizzas look great! I think pizza is definitely the best pre-race meal!

I’m so excited to race with you in 1.5 hours ๐Ÿ™‚

21 Anna February 28, 2010 at 8:23 am

Good luck!!! Those homemade pizzas look like the perfect meal to help you kick ASS! ๐Ÿ™‚

22 inmytummy February 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

Your probably at the start line right now. Good luck!

23 christie @ honoring health February 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

I’m sure you are already off and running by now but good luck!

24 jentrinque February 28, 2010 at 9:08 am

Congratulations to you and Derek on your times! And I think that is so awesome that you’re going to help Ashley out with her time. I hope you guys to great tomorrow and the weather is better.

25 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

I think it’s so awesome that you’re willing to run with others to help them meet their goals!! Have a great race – can’t wait to hear about it! ๐Ÿ™‚

26 eaternotarunner February 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

Good luck and that is so awesome that you are going to help a friend with her time! Sounds like a great experience ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Gabriela February 28, 2010 at 9:55 am

First, congrats on the race(s), Meghann!
๐Ÿ˜€
Loved your recap.
And that pre-run pizza looked really amazing… The perfect pre-run fuel ๐Ÿ˜‰
Have a great day, and good luck on the marathon, sweetie!
Brazilian XOXOยดs,
Gabriela

28 jenngirl February 28, 2010 at 9:59 am

Congrats on an awesome weekend! Looks like you guys are having fun achieving your goals ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope the marathon goes/went well this morning, looking forward to hearing about it!

29 Can You Stay for Dinner February 28, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hope you’re doing well in the marathon! You’ve worked so hard, enjoy and savor every minute of it!
Have a great Sunday!

30 Alyssa February 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

Hope the marathon is going great for you and Ashley! You are definitely one tough cookie! ๐Ÿ™‚

31 christina cadden February 28, 2010 at 10:33 am

Your pizza looks so good! Good luck to both of you on your races!

32 Jenna February 28, 2010 at 10:35 am

I can’t believe you are running your third race this weekend!! Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

33 whitinspired February 28, 2010 at 10:37 am

Kick that marathon’s butt! Hope the weather is beautiful for you guys.

34 Jamie February 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

You are so incredible! Congrats on some great runs and I hope you are kicking butt as we speak!!!!

35 Rachel February 28, 2010 at 10:43 am

Hope you had good weather this morning and had a fabulous time during the marathon!

36 Karla February 28, 2010 at 10:52 am

Good luck! It’s so nice of you to run with a friend!
Have a great race!

37 Kalli@fitandfortysomething February 28, 2010 at 11:05 am

What a great night! Good luck tomorrow.

38 Beth @ fatbustermack February 28, 2010 at 11:39 am

That looks like great fuel! Good Luck!

39 skinnyrunner February 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

i had homemade pizza before my last marathon too! its the best. best of luck on your race today.

40 Erika February 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

What a motivating weekend you are having. Way to go! Have a great race!!!!

41 Jes February 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm

I hope your race went well!!! Your pizza looks very delicious!

42 NYCRunnerGirl February 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Good luck (to you and Ashley)! I can’t wait to read your recap!

43 Run Sarah February 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Good luck to you two!

44 Amy @ Running in Pink February 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Hi Meghann

Good luck with the race today! (it may be over now – i’m not sure what time it is there!?)

I have tried tracking your progress from the UK but haven’t received any updates from the website :o(

It’s all cool though, i will look forward to your race report. Thanks for sharing your life with us – i find it very motivating in helping me reach my own goals x

45 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 28, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Congrats on your other two races – and good luck for the ‘big one’ – you rock girl!!!

46 Jessica February 28, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I hope you had a fabulous race! Can’t wait to hear the recap.

47 missyrayn February 28, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Such fun traditions. I’m big about race traditions too. Why mess with what you know works.

48 kristilyn February 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Good luck!!! You’ll do awesome! Love your pre-run dinner – those pizzas look great!

K