Last Minute Salad

by Meghann on February 25, 2010

Whoa! It looks like there are quite a few of you interested in the “Grains of Goodness” giveaway. Keep those comments coming! 🙂

Despite my extremely late breakfast, my stomach was growling for a snack around 10:30. I think the fasting only made me hungrier – another reason skipping breakfast does not work for me.

I had some Nature Valley Granola Nut Clusters

IMG_0351

When lunch time came around I had NO CLUE what I wanted. After surveying my fridge I took the easy way out and just made a super easy salad.

IMG_0356

• Spinach
  • Broccoli
  • Mushrooms
  • Blue Cheese
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Hummus
  • Tabouli
  • Dried Cherries
  • Pita Bread

IMG_0358 IMG_0360

And some dried kiwi for a sweet treat on my way out the door.

IMG_0362

Is anyone going to the BlogHer Conference in NYC?!? I’m *this close* to buying a ticket, but am still on the fence. To go.. or not to… that is the question!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 25, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I love that salad bowl. Simple yet elegant. I wanna go to the conference!!

2 Laura @ Food For La February 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’m going! I’ve only been blogging for 3 months, so there’s so much I need to learn, plus I <3 NYC. Would love to see you there!

3 foodfitnessandfreya February 25, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Gah, to be a blogger in the USA…
I always find if I’m really really hungry before a meal, so matter how satisfying it is, it’ll never fill me up as much. The body knows what it needs I suppose!

4 Liza February 25, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Girl you should go!!!!! Your such a good blogger, represent yourself!!! I wish I could go but I am not a blogger!

5 anotherannabanana February 25, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Is that a mixing bowl that your salad is hanging out in? My fiance and I use salad bowls and corningware all the time when our regular bowls can’t handle our salad’s mass!

6 Kristina @MendonPondMusings February 25, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I can’t skip breakfast either. One of the biggest changes I’ve noticed with marathon training is I have to eat very regularly and can’t skip a meal or I’m liable to go from 0 – Hangry in 60 seconds. Lunchie salad looks delish!

7 Jessie February 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I want to go to BlogHer but I am on the fence because of hotel and airfare. Plus I am not sure I can go to NYC without the hubby going with me to see the city.

8 *Andrea* February 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

that salad is literally my IDEAL meal!!!! i LOVEEEEE mediterranean meals – hummus/olives/tabouleh = love. dried cherries are amazing too! licking the screen right now haha.

9 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 25, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Oh I love dried kiwi. Not as much as dried pineapple though. THAT’s my weakness

10 Estela @ Weekly bite February 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I have to get my hands on those dried kiwi’s!!! They look so good!

11 Emilyeatsclean February 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Where do you get dried kiwi?!?!?! And I’m flying from Tennessee to Florida tonight to run the Gasparilla half on Sunday!! I leaving TN snow for FL sunshine!!!! 🙂

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

12 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 25, 2010 at 4:01 pm

That sounds like a delicious salad (minus the cheese for me)! I have never tried dried kiwi but that sounds really good too 😉

13 Elina February 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm

That salad looks beautiful for something “unplanned.” That metal bowl looks very modern 😀
I didn’t know that the conference was in NYC. Hmm, now I kind of want to go. $200 is a bit expensive though… decisions, decisions. Let us know if you buy a ticket. It could be good to know some people there. I can get shy at these events.

14 Lauren February 25, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I’m going to the BlogHer cocktail parties! While I don’t technically have a blog (yet), I do have a lot of writing that’s “out there”…and I definitely want to connect with other bloggers/writers and learn how to reach a bigger audience!

15 runningwithsass February 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

favorite cereal is corn chex mix!

16 Sonia February 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm

MMM that kiwi looks amazing!

I have a question- How is Kelly?! I miss her blog and hearing about her archaeology classes!

17 Melissa February 25, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I”ll be at BlogHer in NYC. I’m really excited about it. It seems like a great conference!

18 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 25, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I say GO to the conference 🙂 I wish we had conferences like that in Australia 🙁

19 emily February 25, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m going! It’s my first BlogHer and I’m super excited.

20 Heather February 25, 2010 at 5:07 pm

that salad sounds amazing! what a great lunch on the fly…way to go with the amazing combo!

i would love to go to BlogHer, but just can’t afford it right now…

21 Heather February 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oo I’ve never seen dried kiwi before- it looks so pretty!!

22 NYCRunnerGirl February 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm

You should definitely go to BlogHer! I was out of town when you visited NYC a few weeks ago 🙂

23 Leena February 25, 2010 at 5:18 pm

wow, you really make the best salads! they’re always so random, but the combination of the ingredients you put in them always make me drool!

24 ellaroolawrence February 25, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Just started blogging and you totally inspire me
Thanks
Ellie

25 BroccoliHut February 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm

What a perfect salad! I just ate, but now I’m hungry again after seeing that masterpiece.
Love the idea of dried kiwi:)

26 destiny February 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm

oh oh! I love me some cheerios!!! you should totally go to the blogher conference, everyone i read about that goes loves it! have a happy day!

27 Joanne February 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hey girl, love the salad! I will be at Blogher this summer (then again I AM a new yorker so it would be silly not to go). It would be awesome if you went!

28 eaternotarunner February 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Love an easy salad for lunch! Not sure about blogher….

29 merittothecarrot February 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Looks like a tasty salad indeed! I am absolutely envious of your dried kiwis. I must get those STAT.

30 Molly B February 25, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Kashi heart to heart

31 Kristi February 25, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Honey Nut Cheerios

32 michelle wang February 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Actually, I just discovered the goodness that is FiberOne Honey Nut Clusters. But in all honesty, I have to limit the amount of cereal that I buy – I can finish a box in two days flat!

33 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Quaker Oatmeal Squares!!!!! When I was little it was Lucky Charms and Cookie Crisp.

34 Danielle February 25, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I don’t know if I can pick just one!!! I do enjoy Kashi Honey Sunshine and Go Lean, but when it’s a treat– Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

The fresh n’ fit would be such an amazing container for my daily breakfast at school after working out!!

Thanks for sharing the link for it 🙂

35 Sarah February 26, 2010 at 1:33 am

Where do you find dried kiwi? I love it and cannot find it anywhere …

36 kristilyn February 26, 2010 at 11:20 am

I love dried kiwi. I had never had it until a few months ago and I’m so happy now! That, and dried strawberries, are my faves.

Don’t you hate when you have no idea what you feel like? I was packing my lunch stuff today for work (including breakfast – I was so busy this morning) and had no clue what to pack – and I only had about 5 minutes! Here’s hoping I enjoy everything!

K