Out to Dinner

by Meghann on February 24, 2010

What a day! What a day!

After taking two hours out of my morning to pick up the awesome Chevy Traverse, I was pretty swamped the rest of the afternoon at work. 100% worth it. πŸ˜‰

I had to stay later than usual in the office to make up the time. Good thing I was well prepared with snacks to keep my grumbling tummy at bay until I was able to get home.

I had the mini peanut butter larabar at 3:30 and the fruit leather an hour later.

In order to keep my Echo from becoming too jealous of the Traverse, I decided to loan my car to my Dad for the next four weeks. My Dad drives a gas guzzling Expedition and I knew he would appreciate my 40 miles to the gallon Echo.

Him and my brother made the trip to Orlando this evening to pick up the Echo and grab a bite to eat. We headed to my Dad’s favorite Cuban restaurant – Habana Grill – where there just happened to be a $9.95 “buenos on a budget’ deal going on.

I order the Sancocho which was a Puerto-Rican Stew made with root vegetables, plantains, corn, carrots, and meat.

The meal started with warm cuban bread.

I love Habana Grill and have had some amazing meals here, but the stew wasn’t that great.

The soup was kind of bland – I should have added some hot sauce or something. I ended up eating all the vegetables and leaving the meat behind.

The soup was served with white rice and tostones.

I only had a little of the rice and traded one of the tostones for a sweet plantain that came on my Dad’s plate.

Isn’t my brother a cutie?

I had bites of both my dad’s and brother’s meals and instantly wished I had ordered either of theirs. Oh well. You live, you learn, then you return and order something better the next time. πŸ˜‰

When I got back home I had the last of he macaroons Brittany had sent me and a Godiva chocolate from my Valentine’s stash.

I’m having blood work done in the morning which means I need to fast until the blood is taken at 7:30am. ‘Fasting’ is not a fun word in my head. I will just have to pack an extra yummy breakfast to enjoy as soon as they are done. πŸ™‚

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 24, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Lurve your REAL food snax!! Aww I wanna go out to din din with my bro ‘n’ pop now!

2 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 24, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Bummer about the Cuban food! I’ve found that when its good, its GREAT, and when it’s not its what you experienced. Tostones are among my favorite foods though… Good luck with the fasting bloods!

3 Evan Thomas February 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I hate fasting; at least it sounds wicked early in the morning

4 Megan February 24, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Have fun with the Chevy! Kinda disappointed the soup was bland…it looks so good!

5 Erin February 24, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Your dinner is making me so hungry and I just finished lunch!! So much good food! πŸ˜€

6 Matt February 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I hate fasting blood tests. I like to drink coffee when I wake up and I have to wait until after πŸ™

7 courtlove111 February 24, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Last time I had a fasting blood test they told me I could have coffee as long as it was black.
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

8 Rebeca February 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I know why your soup was bland… because it’s DOMINICAN not puerto rican (sorry but ppl confuse us, it makes me sad)… and the original, DR version has yucca, plantains, and a ton of veggies that are hard to come by in the states… The key is to get the right blend of Dominican things, it’s one of those “your Dominican grandma has to teach you how to make this” kind of dishes…

Hope you get to actually try the real deal one day!

9 eatinggreenstayinglean February 24, 2010 at 11:02 pm

1st: LOVE the chevy traverse and I want it as my ‘mom’ car when I’m older, haha.

2nd: props to you for bringing lunch to work every day, it’s not an easy task. when I move from the restaurant to a “real” job, it’ll definitely be an adjustment.

3rd: where do you buy cacao nibs? they look delish!

10 theprocessofhealing February 24, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Your brother IS a cutie!!!

That’s too bad about dinner.. I hate it when that happens :/ But you are right, you live, you learn. Now you know.

Fasting – YUCK!

11 Crystal February 24, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Your brother is so cute! I’m sorry, but I had to get that out.

I had to get bloodwork done about a year ago. After you get it done, I suggest you sit down for a few minutes and eat something. I felt really weak afterwards… but that also might have been because I had to walk 30 minutes to get back home! I hope the results are in your favour.

12 Emily February 24, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Sorry the soup was blah. I get so frustrated when I order the wrong thing at the restaurant. I often feel like I’m not the best orderer. It’s a good skill to have…
Hope you’re enjoying the car!

13 Emilyeatsclean February 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I’ve gotta make macaroons!!! I’ve seen them on so many blogs and I’m dying for some!!! πŸ™‚

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

14 missyrayn February 25, 2010 at 12:39 am

Aww how sweet of you to lend your Dad your car.

Fasting always makes me more hungry just because I know I can’t eat. Plan a really yummy breakfast to feed your hunger after the test.

15 NYCRunnerGirl February 25, 2010 at 1:38 am

Your brother is very cute! πŸ˜‰

That stinks about fasting. Just plan whatever you are going to eat immediately after, and think about the results you’ll receive.

16 kellieatsforfun February 25, 2010 at 2:17 am

Ugh, blood work is the worst! I have super low blood pressure and weird veins (my dad the anesthesiologist has even told me I have hard to find veins!) so it’s bad enough without the fasting. Hope yours is quick and painless tomorrow. The macaroons look really yummy πŸ™‚

17 foodfitnessandfreya February 25, 2010 at 4:01 am

Oh gosh, having to fast sounds like the worst thing ever..my mum had to go 12hrs without eating before some surgery once (held in the afternoon!) – I felt SO sorry for her πŸ™
YES your brother is cute!! Is he single!?? πŸ˜›

18 Karla February 25, 2010 at 7:42 am

I love Cuban food!
I’ve only ever had Colombian Sancocho! That was delicious!
Ahh bloodwork! no fun!

19 Danielle J February 25, 2010 at 8:58 am

Your brother looks just like you! Sorry to hear about the unfortunate soup πŸ™

20 lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 25, 2010 at 9:02 am

Haha, you have an echo? Me too! Mine’s a black 2000 named Ollie. πŸ™‚

21 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 25, 2010 at 9:19 am

That’s hilarious, I always wanted an Echo because I rode in one once and it was great, but I never did.

I hope everything goes well with the bloodwork, I always get frustrated when they tell me I can’t eat 12 hours beforehand but it just makes me enjoy breakfast that much more when I do get to finally eat πŸ˜‰

22 Kelly February 25, 2010 at 9:37 am

I hate getting blood work done, I have really low blood pressure so it always takes foorrrreeevvveeerrrrr. Enjoy your bfast after though, I’m sure it will be delish.

23 runningwithsass February 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

ug I hate fasting for medical stuff, so not fun. GL!

24 jenngirl February 25, 2010 at 10:06 am

What a great dinner deal!!

Hope all goes well at the doctor’s office this morning, AND that you have an amazing breakfast planned πŸ™‚

25 Heather February 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

Fasting is the worst word ever! I always try to get the earliest appt possible and then bring food with me πŸ™‚ I hate when somebody orders something that’s better than what I got haha

26 Jenny February 25, 2010 at 10:09 am

I *swoon* for Cuban! Yucca fries…mmmmm. I think I need to get myself to my favorite Cuban place- STAT! I suffer from can’tdecidewhatiwanttoeatandalwayswantsomethingelse-itis (yes, it’s a real affliction!), so I can’t even count how many times i’ve wanted to snatch the plate out from a dining companion. Sorry the soup was so blah!

I have to say that I am always impressed by your preparedness re: snacks, etc. I’m trying to get to that point, but I still have a ways to go!

27 Laura Georgina February 25, 2010 at 10:19 am

I’m so sorry you got a bum bowl of sancocho! It’s one of my favorite soups, but if can definitely be bland if it’s not made right. My grandma makes a KILLER sancocho, so I’m definitely with Rebeca–it’s definitely a “grandma-taught” dish (I’ve never made it–it’ll never be as good as hers, so why try?)

28 Can You Stay for Dinner February 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love how close you are to your family, it reminds me of mine! Sorry to hear that your meal was less than amazing, but the idea of cuban food sounds so good to me right now!

29 Molly February 25, 2010 at 10:24 am

I hate when you dont get what you are expecting πŸ™ hopefully next time youll find something that hits the spot πŸ™‚

xo-Molly

30 Paige@ Running Around Normal February 25, 2010 at 10:38 am

That’s so nice of you to loan your dad your Echo! Sounds like it was a fun dinner, but sorry your meal wasn’t so stellar. Have a great day – good luck with the blood work!

31 Catherine February 25, 2010 at 10:48 am

Yuck to fasting – hope the blood work goes ok. The one light at the end of the tunnel is how good food tastes after a fast πŸ™‚ I do a raw juice fast occasionally and I cannot tell you how yummy solid food is after. Be careful to eat easily digestible foods first though like fruit or non-starchy veggies since your digestive system will have been resting!

32 Ruthie797 February 25, 2010 at 11:17 am

My favorite cereal in Honey Nut Cheerios! Which I would definitely use those coupons to purchase:)

33 katie s February 25, 2010 at 11:18 am

My favorite cereal is peanut butter puffins… yummm!

And I agree, no breakfast is no fun!!

34 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 25, 2010 at 11:36 am

ugh, fasting sucks. I usually end up on a binge right after.

35 Krystle February 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Fasting is the worst… I hate to say it but I cheat… I normally have SOMETHING πŸ˜‰

36 Sara February 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm

My new fave is Kashi GoLean Crisp — delish!

37 Kirsten February 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm

My favorite cereal is all the Kashi cereals! Mmm! I really love Kashi Lean Crunch!! I also love cheerios!! =)

38 Stephanie February 25, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Actually, the FiberOne Original is my favorite! πŸ™‚ I usually mix it in with greek yogurt and fruit!

39 Jessica February 25, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Your Brother IS HOTTT!!!

40 Lauren February 25, 2010 at 2:59 pm

My fave is FiberOne honey clusters… so those coupons would come in handy!

41 pinkflipflops February 25, 2010 at 7:04 pm

yum.. i have definitely become more of a cereal eater after i learned of milk other than skim.. blech.. my favorite would be special k vanilla almond or kashi go lean crunch..

42 kristilyn February 26, 2010 at 11:33 am

You know, my dad worked in Cuba for so many years and yet I’ve never had Cuban food! I should see if we have any good Cuban restaurants in the city – your meals all look delicious!

K