Belated Birthday Lunch

by Meghann on February 22, 2010

As a belated gappy birthday treat my supervisor treated me to lunch today at one of my favorite Orlando restaurants – Bosphorus.

Bosphorus is a Turkish Cuisine restaurant off of Park Avenue in Winter Park that is famous for their grand presentations of lavas bread and wonderful food. I had been once before with my parents and have been dying to go back ever since.

When my supervisor asked me where I wanted to go for lunch I told her ‘somewhere fun’ and this place fit the bill perfectly!

We lucked out with great weather during our noon lunch hour and decided it was only fitting to dine outside. I love restaurants that ever offer the option of dining outside, it just brings the overall experience to a whole other level on days like today. :)

We started with the lavas hollow bread

This thing is massive. I was in carb lovers heaven. :)

We shared the babaganoush for our dip.

The bread was just as amazing as I remembered. It was hot, steamy, and the perfect pairing with the babaganoush. By the end of the meal we had consumed about half of the bread and demolished all of the dip. :)

I knew I would be filling up with bread so I tried to keep it light for my entrée. The white bean salad caught my eye on the menu.

The salad was very fresh. It had a wonderful tart vinaigrette dressing that’s flavor was only enhanced by the addition of fresh cilantro and mint.

Thanks to my large bread consumption I could barely eat half of my salad. I can not wait to enjoy my lovely feast of left overs for lunch again tomorrow.

Shelley had ordered the chicken adana that were beautifully plated and smelled wonderful.

I had a small bite of the chicken and swooned. The chicken was very well seasoned and only left my mouth wanting to try more. Delicious!

For dessert Shelley ordered each of us our own baklava so that I “could have extra to take home and enjoy later” – Love her!

The baklava had a rich pistachio filling that was both nutty and sweet. I savored and enjoyed one of the baklava wedges and took the other two home to enjoy later on.

Bosphorous was the perfect choice for my belated birthday lunch – it had a great atmosphere, great food, and was a nice change up from any of our regular lunch spots.

THANKS AGAIN SHELLEY FOR A FANTASTIC LUNCH!!!! Two thumbs way up. :)

This morning I tried to make it to lunch with out a snack, but my stomach started grumbling before 10:00. I snacked on some trail mix to tide me over until my big lunch of delicious bread. :)

After lunch my afternoon kind of got away from me. I had to put out a few small fires at work and before I knew it it was after 5:00 and time to go home. :)

Eggplant was on my mind for dinner. I was trying to think outside the box and came up with a funky twist on eggplant parmesan.

I started with sliced eggplant that I battered in egg white and bread crumbs.

I baked the eggplant at 415 degrees for 15 minutes or until the crust was a nice golden color.

This is where the fun twist comes into play. ;)

I layered one eggplant with a slice of this ham I had picked up at Whole Foods on Sunday.

(Love ham!)

Then tomato, blue cheese, and spinach.

Top the layered eggplant the empty one and coat with a healthy dose of marinara sauce.

Bake at 415 for 10 minutes.

Wowza. Not bad if I say so myself. ;)

The layers is what made this dish stand out.

The slice of ham didn’t hurt either. ;)

For dessert I had another wedge of my baklava from lunch.

There is still one piece of the baklava calling my name to be enjoyed tomorrow. :)

Today was a day full of good eats. Happy Mouth + Happy Tummy = Happy Meghann!

Now its time to get some good sleep.

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas February 22, 2010 at 9:01 pm

A good, housemade baklava is so hard to find. That looks delightful!

2 Doved Sexter February 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Wow, that does sound like a great supervisor to me… not at all what I had most of the time in the corporate world.

I’m thrilled to read your blog and especially the comments about our restaurant. My wife and I just recently purchased Bosphorous (today is 5 months) and fell in love with the food right away.

We’re very fortunate to have the loyalty of our guests such as yourself! Next time, lunch is on us for taking the time to capture the experience in such detail!!

Regards,

Doved and Tammy Sexter

3 poiseinparma February 22, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I love that eggplant & ham creation! I’m going to have to pick up some of the ham at Whole Foods – I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket :)

4 Becky February 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Sounds like a delicious lunch! I have an eggplant sitting on my counter just waiting for a plan – thanks for the inspiration!

5 megzzwinsatlife February 22, 2010 at 9:26 pm

ahhh the bread looks amazing….. Remember when nobody ate carbs?? like come on.. I could NEVER!! I have never tried eggplant and I think I really need to in the near future!

6 theprocessofhealing February 22, 2010 at 9:59 pm

What a fun lunch?! That bread… OMG. As a self-proclaimed carbaholic, I would LOVE that!!
You are so creative in the kitchen.. never ceases to amaze me :D

7 eaternotarunner February 22, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I want that giant bread! Yum! :-)

8 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 22, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Wow what an incredibly nice supervisor you’ve got! Hollow bread is so fun to eat. You definitely got your fair share of eggplant today!! Save some for me :)

9 Amy @ Second City Randomness February 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I am completely convinced baklava was created to make my tummy cry happy tears…. yum!

10 NYCRunnerGirl February 22, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Your supervisor sounds wonderful – how nice that you have that kind of relationship!

Um, ham and eggplant? Parmesan? YES!

11 allie February 22, 2010 at 10:37 pm

that eggplant dish is beautiful! i don’t think i would have ever thought to pair ham and eggplant, but it looks terrific!

12 Anna February 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Mmmmm…baklava is such a great dessert– definitely one of my faves. Looks like a great special birthday lunch!

13 Emilyeatsclean February 22, 2010 at 10:47 pm

That lunch looks Ahhhhh-Mazing……that bread would have been my entire lunch!!! Good work on the eggplant masterpiece tonight!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

14 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm

You’ve got all sorts of layers happening in that dinner :) Layers remind me of parfaits, which remind me of shrek…

15 Matt February 22, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I think I could eat only bread for a meal and be satisfied ;)

16 Krista February 22, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I love babagonoush! Your lunch looks delicious and I really like the way you mixed up the eggplant parm for dinner.

17 Heather February 22, 2010 at 11:19 pm

what a great day of eats! i adore baklava…i admire your restraint, too! i’d have probably eaten the whole thing at lunch ;)

18 Travel Eat Love February 22, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Ohhh yum baklava is my favorite!

19 Mind Body and School February 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

That bread looks delicious. Ahh, I need to find a restaurant that serves things like that asap.

20 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 22, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Haha, I love your creativity! Eggplant and ham? I wouldn’t eat it, but then again, I whip up a lot of crazy things that others wouldn’t dare eat!

21 Aimee February 22, 2010 at 11:54 pm

That eggplant dish looks so great. Sub some mozzarella & parm for that ham and I’m there! Yum. :)

22 carolinebee February 23, 2010 at 12:07 am

YUMMMM i love ham too!!! haha..not enough ham in blogworld i think ;D

23 TorontoGirloutWest February 23, 2010 at 12:24 am

Everything looks so very delish! If I ever hit up the Orlando area I definitely have to try Bosphorus! Yum!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

24 Chelsea February 23, 2010 at 1:18 am

I’m just wondering why it is you use egg whites so often instead of just the whole egg? For instance, in your french toast and eggplant parm. You eat eggs for breakfast sometimes so I was just wondering what your reasons were for not doing so in other meals. I absolutely love your blog bytheway.

25 Meghann February 24, 2010 at 10:07 am

I usee egg white because its easy. All I do is pour a little out of the containter, no egg cracking or wisking required. :)

26 Rachel February 24, 2010 at 4:03 pm

There are whole eggs that come in the carton too!

27 Erin February 23, 2010 at 1:30 am

Oh my gosh, you are seriously making my mouth water! Is it dinner time yet?! I have some baba ganoush and hummus in the fridge just calling my name! :D

28 Kelli February 23, 2010 at 2:22 am

Mmm…I definitely miss the Orlando restaurant scene (I spent the last year interning down there, but am now stuck once again in the frozen north). This place looks fantastic! And what a cool twist on the eggplant dish–you might actually get me to like the purple stuff ;)

29 Susan @ Journey for Health February 23, 2010 at 2:59 am

What an interesting lunch! I’ve never known how to cook eggplant (and even had a very disastrous attempt in the past).

And I have to say I love the snowman plate at the end. So adorable.

30 ali February 23, 2010 at 3:07 am

I like the idea of that eggplant dish, I will definitely have to try it!

31 foodfitnessandfreya February 23, 2010 at 4:04 am

What a fantastic idea for dinner!
LOVE Baklava! I had it in a Moroccan restuarant and I’d thought I’d hate it cos I don’t like pastry, but ohmygosh nom nom! What a great boss you have :)

32 Dodo February 23, 2010 at 5:16 am

Hi! I’m a reader from Turkey and all of those dishes are so familiar! :) I’m glad you like Turkish Cuisine :)

33 Erica February 23, 2010 at 7:13 am

What a fun lunch! Your supervisor rocks. So cool that she ordered you each your own dessert so you could take the leftovers home. And that dip and bread? Drool! Great dinner!Josh’s mom actually bought me tons of TJs breaded eggplant and I have yet to try it. Your dinner looks so good that I might have to give it a go tonight

34 Rachel February 23, 2010 at 7:43 am

That lavash looks like heaven. I am definitely a self-proclaimed carb-aholic :) It was so nice and thoughtful of your supervisor to take you out to lunch! Glad you enjoyed your birthday lunch!

35 Heather February 23, 2010 at 8:16 am

Oh wow that all looks incredible!!! That’s nice of your supervisor to take you out- I doubt my supervisor knows when anybody’s birthday is!

36 Rosey Rebecca February 23, 2010 at 8:37 am

Your dinner looks awesome! I had to freeze the eggplant that was in my fridge last night because I forgot about it. I’ll probably try making eggplant parm next week! (sans the ham) :-)

37 Anne P February 23, 2010 at 9:18 am

Mmmmm that lunch looks delicious. I love bread like that from middle eastern places :) And baklava!

Fun dinner idea, too!!

38 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

Ooooh bread. I love baking bread… it’s my new thing. I’ll have to learn how to make this one!

39 meyergirl February 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

Sounds like a fantastic day!

40 Kelly February 23, 2010 at 10:05 am

I would never have thought to add ham to eggplant parm. Looks fabulous though. I love bread, and that kind looks yummy.

41 DiningAndDishing February 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm

that is one of your most beautiful dinners yet i think!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

42 Jenna February 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm

The eggplant dish? All I can say is WOW! Pretty much all my favs in one meal! So inspired!

43 kristilyn February 26, 2010 at 11:43 am

Yum! That white bean salad looks delicious – I think I should search for a recipe! And I’ve never had lavahs bread before – it looks yummy.

I have had baklava before and man is it rich! But definitely delicious. :-) How nice of your supervisor!

K