more ยป" />

Not The Greek Food Of My Dream

by Meghann on February 21, 2010

For the past week I’ve had MAJOR cravings for Greek food. I’ve been daydreaming of greasy falafels, hummus, and tabouli from an authentic greek restaurant that only exists in my head.

Knowing this make believe greek restaurant has to exist in Orlando somewhere I turned to Yelp and after a quick search found Cypriana right down the road. I was promised authentic Greek food at a decent price – sold.

Megan joined me this evening as I attempted to tame my crazy greek craving.

I had high hopes for Cypriana in the beginning. It was a quaint restaurant with a great menu full of plenty of Greek favorites.

However, when I went to order I was sad to discover they were completely out of two of things I was craving most. Bummer. With no tabouli or falafels I was at a lost on what to order. ๐Ÿ™

I ended up sticking with my original plan of ordering the Vegetarian Combo Platter. Instead of taoboli and falafel, I had hummus, skordalia (a garlic mashed potato dip?), and stuffed grape leaves.

The platter came with my choice of two sides. I was so upset about not being able to order what I wanted that I ordered the french fries to make up for it.

Megan and I split the fries. Megan’s face lit up like a Christmas tree when I ordered them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was suppose to get green beans as well, but there was a miscommunication with our waitress and the green beans never came. ๐Ÿ™

Unfortunately the food was not great at all. Everything was really garlicy (including the fries) and was not what I had been imagining at all. It was so disappointing. ๐Ÿ™ Especially since I have been craving this for so long.

Sorry Cypriana, but you were not the great greek restaurant from my dreams. I have to believe that restaurant is out there somewhere, I just need to discover where! Does anyone know of any great greek places in Orlando?!?! Let me know!

When I got back to my apartment I had 1/2 of a blondie with some peppermint ice cream.

I can’t believe the weekend is almost over! This weekend sort of flew on by but was really nice while it lasted. I’m going to try and enjoy the last moments of it before a new work week begins.

Good Night!

1 Heather February 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm

that’s a bummer you didn’t like the food there…i probably would’ve loved it, but that’s because I’m obsessed with garlic (thank goodness my husband is too right? ๐Ÿ™‚

hope you have a great night before you have to go back to work!

2 Evan Thomas February 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Aww, I hate being let down by a restaurant. I still feel like I need to go back to Grezzo’s in Boston because the night I did nothing on the menu was focused on raw eggplant bacon

3 Dori February 21, 2010 at 10:06 pm

It’s funny how you consider falafel and hummus Greek but I consider it Israeli! Maybe change your search from Greek to Israeli or Middle Eastern restaurants? You’d probably be more likely to find what you are looking for. Good luck!

4 theprocessofhealing February 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Too bad about the Greek food ๐Ÿ™ I hate it when you are craving one specific thing and you CAN’T have it. Nothing else quite makes up for it. Good luck on your search though!

5 Lexie February 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I agree with Dori! I think you should look for middle eastern restaurants. I went to Aladdin’s Eatery (I think it’s a chain restaurant) and had a vegetarian combo that came with hummus, tabouli, babaganoush, falafel and yogurt sauce, as well as grape leaves. I’m pretty sure it’s considered a Middle Eastern restaurant. PS: I definitely reccommend trying babaganoush. It’s like a pureed eggplant dip or something. It was way better than the tabouli or hummus.

6 Carrie @ I See Monsters February 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm

There is a Middle Eastern market somewhere in Orlando that I had some delicious grape leaves, babaganoush, tabouli and falafel at a few years ago. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name! I second everyone else’s suggestion of looking for a Middle Eastern restaurant. Yum yum!!

7 tiffnie February 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Argh, I hate it when I’m craving something and I end up eating something else that doesn’t satiate it! It’s so disappointing and I end up eating a lot more than intended because I don’t feel “full.” Anyway, I’m really sorry you had a bad experience at that restaurant. At least you got to come home to some yummy dessert ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you enjoy the rest of your night and have a good day tomorrow!

8 Britt February 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Agreed, Middle Eastern! So sad it wasn’t what you wanted though….

9 allie February 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm

i think you have your cuisines mixed up. you may want to look for a middle eastern restaurant- tabouleh is more of a middle eastern dish. i love lebanese restaurants. you might find just what you are looking for there.

10 Lacey February 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I’m sorry the restaurant wasn’t the one of your dreams. Maybe restaurants are like men, we have to be disappointed a few times so that we REALLY appreciate the right one when we find it ๐Ÿ™‚

Btw, I love your Sunday night posts. It’s great to know there’s someone else out there mourning another weekend gone by, yet ready to start Monday on the right foot.

11 Jocelyn February 21, 2010 at 10:46 pm

when I was in lauderdale by the sea I ate at this super great greek place called Athena by the sea! So very yummy!

12 poiseinparma February 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I’m a gyro snob myself. Once you’ve been to Greece and had one, it’s just not the same!

13 Jo February 22, 2010 at 5:22 am

Agreed, so so much! Once you’ve been to Athens or the islands and had proper souvlaki and pastitcio theres no going back… and their seafood!! Family run Greek places are great because you get the real warmth and fun of the Greek people too, more than just the food! Is there a Greek quarter in/near Orlando I wonder?!

14 Matt February 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Sorry about the restaurant ๐Ÿ™ I am sure there is some decent Greek food out there somewhere!

15 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I completely understand your disappointment – when you’re craving falafel, nothing else will do! What a bummer ๐Ÿ™

16 Lindsay February 21, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I am sorry that your greek was so dissapointing, but if you are ever in Chicago again… there is a GREAT greek restaurant in the suburbs called The Greek Islands in Lombard, IL

17 Chrissy February 21, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Try looking for Lebanese or other middle-eastern restaurants instead! Look for family run because lots of times the chain middle eastern places aren’t quite as good or as authentic. (I’m Lebanese so I am pretty picky!!!) I’m not from there but did a google search and found Cedars and Falafel Cafe in Orlando! I would hope Falafel Cafe would not run out of Falafel!!!

18 Carly February 21, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Have you been to Taverna Opas in Orlando? I was visiting last week and a group of us went there. (It’s on International Drive, if that rings a bell.) I thought it was delicious – they crushed the hummus right at the table. Great atmosphere. I really enjoyed it.

19 Jillian February 21, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I really like Taverna Opa. I’ve only been to the one in West Palm, but I’m assuming the location in Orlando is just as good!

20 Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes February 21, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I was gonna say the food looks great! But I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover, huh? Thanks for sharing your experience though!

21 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I’d definitely look for a more general Middle Eastern or Mediterranean food restaurant to quell your falafel/tabbouli cravings! Greek food is a little different than that… hope you find it soon!

22 erin February 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Not to sound rude, but that doesn’t sound like Greek food at all! I can’t believe the menu had pizzas and hummus.

Greek food in Australia is obviously very different – think moussaka, sardines, stuffed vine leaves (I know you had them, though), and lots of seafood. And certainly no chips!

I hope you find the Greek food you’re craving. Maybe steer away from places with pizza and chips on the menu ๐Ÿ˜›

23 cassie February 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm

oh thats the worst feeling – whenever that happens to me, the craving comes back twice as strong! hope you get your greek fix soon!

24 Erin February 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm

My one and only experience with Greek food in Florida was in Tarpon Springs near Tampa. It’s a Greek area so almost all the restaurants are Greek. Sooo good. Perhaps a road trip is on order??

25 Tori February 21, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I dont’ think I’ve ever had authentic greek food…I wouldn’t know where to go to find any either.

26 amanda @ fake ginger February 21, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Ugh! How frustrating! And now the craving lives on, right? I hope you can find a fix soon!

27 Erin February 21, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Bummer! I love all kinds of Middle Eastern food — Greek, Lebanese, Iranian, etc. Spend the other day chilling in Melbourne’s Greek Precinct — it’s like being in Greece!

28 alexisashley February 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I am such a fan of Greek Food! It’s just hard to find the good places sometimes. I’m from Orlando (but I’m up at FSU right now going to school!), and I’ve always had a good experience at The Greek Corner on Orange Ave downtown http://www.thegreekcorner.net/. I’ve never been to Greece, but I’m a big hummus and falafel fan- and it’s never dissapointed!
Good luck on your good-greek-search!

29 rollerkoesterrun February 21, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Love, love, love peppermint ice cream! Hope you end up finding the Greek Isle of your dreams ๐Ÿ˜‰

~Christie (http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/)

30 Caroline February 21, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Ok so I’m gonna de-lurk today! I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks and love love love that you are a FL girl! I’m from St Pete but I go to school in Ohio … anyway if you’re still craving Greek next time you are in Tampa you can try Acropolis in Ybor city. Such good Greek food!

31 Vee February 21, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Hey Meghann,

I used to live in Orlando and I absolutely adored the Mediterranean Deli. It’s on the corner of Adanson and W. Fairbanks and it has the best medi food ever – hole in the wall places always do! Forget gourmet – if you want the best, you gotta go to mom and pop places ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously – you will not be disappointed.

32 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Don’t you hate when restaurants aren’t up to snuff? Especially when you’re craving something specific! So disappointing. Glad you had fries though – that always helps!

33 gina (fitnessista) February 21, 2010 at 11:49 pm

next time you want tabouli and falafel, check out ceders (right next to seasons 52)
their hummus, tabouli and falafel are AMAZING. i promise you’ll love it ๐Ÿ˜€
hope you have a great night <3

34 kb February 21, 2010 at 11:53 pm

If you’re crazing tabouli, hummus and falafel, then DO NOT go to a greek restaurant! You need to go to a Middle Eastern restaurant!

35 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 22, 2010 at 12:26 am

Argh frustrating indeed! I love falafel!

36 Mackenzie February 22, 2010 at 12:51 am

Definitely go to Taverna Opa! It’s at Pointe Orlando. It will make you cry tears of joy! They even make the hummus AT your table! And they have people dancing the zorba all night long!

37 foodfitnessandfreya February 22, 2010 at 3:04 am

Oh bad luck about the restaurant – it’s always so much worse when that kind of thing happens if you’ve been building it up in your head ๐Ÿ™
I’m sure you’ll find another one though!

38 Jesse February 22, 2010 at 3:49 am

It seems like you didn’t eat nearly enough for someone who covered 26 miles in two days. I don’t mean to be critical but I hope you are taking care of yourself.

39 NYCRunnerGirl February 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

I agree with some of the comments above that maybe you should search for Middle Eastern cuisine. Didn’t you make falafel at home once? Possible dinner idea tonight? ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Heather February 22, 2010 at 8:42 am

I think Greek food is the one cuisine that doesn’t get me very excited haha

41 dianacheung February 22, 2010 at 9:40 am

worse thing in life: craving something all week and when you finally get it…it sucks. ๐Ÿ™

42 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 22, 2010 at 9:56 am

tabbouli and hummus? sounds more like Lebanese food to me!

43 MelissaNibbles February 22, 2010 at 10:10 am

That stinks that the restaurant was out of what you wanted. I do have to say, that those items aren’t Greek though. You should hit up a middle eastern restaurant next time. It’ll probably be better than what you’d find at that place anyway. Good luck finding a yummy restaurant!

44 Raya February 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

It’s so funny that I ate at Cypriana this weekend too (on sunday)!!!! It was my first time there and I thought it was pretty good. I know they have two locations-I went to the one on Semoran in Casselberry. I just ordered a greek salad though, topped with gyro meat. The dressing was very garlicky but I didn’t mind. My favorite greek place is called Athens and it’s in Winter Springs on the corner of Red Bug and Tuskawilla in the Albertson’s plaza (right below Red Sun Yoga). I would have gone there but they close at 2 on sundays. I love their food, you should check it out!!!

Raya @ RayaRuns.com

45 Emilyeatsclean February 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

How can a claimed authentic greek restaurant be out of falafel and tabouli?!?! Weird!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

46 eaternotarunner February 22, 2010 at 10:52 am

That is such a bummer! I hate when you are in the mood for something and it doesn’t happen as planned…

47 Amy @ Second City Randomness February 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

I feel as if it’s been an unofficial Greek Restaurant weekend… I had some crazy good Greek food myself! Along with countless other bloggers… did I just miss the memo on that one? ๐Ÿ™‚

48 Jenni February 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Hi Meghann! I am OBSESSED with Greek food. I dated a Greek boy for two years and college and was lucky enough to have many authentic dinners at his house. Since I moved back to Orlando from Philly, I have been on a search for Greek food as amazing as I had with him and thankfully, I’ve found two places!

Greek Flame Taverna
1560 Florida 436
Winter Park, FL 32792-1502
(407) 678-2388

Santorini
111 Geneva Dr.
Oviedo, FL 32765
(321) 765-8247

Santorini just opened in January, but Greek Flame has been around for a while. My office always orders from there. Both have AMAZING hummus, but I prefer the avgolemono from Greek Flame. YUM! Now I am craving it! ๐Ÿ™‚

49 Anne February 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Let me be the 42134 person to agree that you should try a Middle Eastern restaurant ๐Ÿ™‚ As a Lebanese-American, Falafel and Tabouli are more Middle Eastern than Greek. For Greek food, you want grapeleaves, fresh feta, slouvaki and moussaka….for falafel, hummus, tabouli, shish kabob, syrian rice, babaganoush and fattosh – you need to find yourself a yummy Middle Eastern joint. Happy Eating!

50 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

If you ever find yourself in Louisville, KY you must go to The Grape Leaf. That is the Mediterranean restaurant of my dreams, but I also love a little place called Shiraz. I can’t imagine going to either one and finding out they were out of falafel, I think I’d cry!

Hope your next experience is better.

51 angiismyname February 22, 2010 at 3:21 pm

if you dont mind a slight drive there is a really quaint family owned greek restaurant on merritt island called Victoria’s . Its a small place but the food is to die for and everyone who works there is family. They make you feel right at home and the prices are ridiculously decent. if you come home one weekend you should check it out. If it still exists its on state road three close to the old fat boys. If you do try it you will have to let me know what you think

52 Meredith February 22, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Those dishes you were craving are more common at Middle Eastern and Lebanese restaurants. Try searching for that and you might have better luck. I LOVE hummus and falafel too!

53 kristilyn February 26, 2010 at 11:47 am

That sucks that the food didn’t live up to your expectations. Personally, I love garlic, so the more the better! I’ve never had tabbouleh before – of course, now you have me craving Greek food, so I might get it soon! LOL!

K

54 Alexis February 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Olympia on Colonial! http://www.olympiaorlando.com/

FANTASTIC family-owned Greek place. I actually got engaged there ๐Ÿ™‚ I miss that place!