more ยป" />

16 Miles Done & Done!

by Meghann on February 21, 2010

I’ll be honest, when I woke up this morning I wasn’t thrilled at the the idea of having to run 16 miles this morning.

I slowly took my time getting ready by checking my e-mail, reading blogs, sipping on a hot cup of water, and nibbling on my pre-run fuel.

I reminded myself that the hardest part of any run is getting out the door, so reluctantly I headed to my favorite trail and without putting anymore thought into it I took off on my 16 miler.

My legs were a bit sore from my 10 mile trail run yesterday. I could really feel it in my glutes, but once my legs got moving the soreness faded away. I zoned out and divided my run into quarters. Focusing on the next 4 mile increment seemed a lot more manageable then trying to wrap my head around the total 16 miles.

I gave myself a pat on the back at mile 4, 8, & 12 and before I knew it I was in the last quarter of my run. Yippee!! My energy was fading so I popped a few sports beans in my mouth to give myself a little boost to the end.

I finished the 16 miles in 2:27:08 with an average pace of 9:12!

I felt like I was going pretty slow through out the 16 miles, so I was super excited with my final stats. Bring it on Michelob Challenge! Bring. It. On. ๐Ÿ˜‰

As soon as I was finished I raced back home where a lovely breakfast was waiting to be devoured.

I picked up a Spelt Blueberry Muffin from Whole Foods yesterday. Smeared with some pear butter, the muffin was the perfect post run treat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Strawberry Oikos for protein.

Lovely cantaloupe for some juicy crunch.

All gone in 5 minutes flat

We are officially experiencing SUNDRESS weather in Central Florida! I am heading out right now to take advantage of it in one of my favorite sundresses. The poor thing has been hiding in my closet too long, its begging to be free!

I”m predicting a visit to the doggie park and Farmer’s Market in mine and Maddie’s future.

I hope the sun is shining where you are too!

Happy Sunday!

1 Dori February 21, 2010 at 11:51 am

Congrats on the run!!! Spelt muffin looks great, I’m not able to save things like that until the next day. Sounds like you have such a great day planned. Jealous of your weather!

2 Jocelyn February 21, 2010 at 11:52 am

congratz! You are sooo ready to tackle that insane back to back marathons! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy sundress weather!

3 Kelly February 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Congrats on your run, the second I read you were wearing a sundress today in my head I went “that’s it I’m moving to Florida”. I am so so so jealous.

4 theprocessofhealing February 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Your muffin sounds amazing, WF muffins are the BEST! So jealous of your sundress weather! Enjoy it girlie!

5 Becky February 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Great job with the run! I agree that sometimes it’s easier to break it down into smaller chunks…glad it worked! Sooo jealous of your weather – we have sun, but no sundresses yet!

6 Sara @ ActiveGal February 21, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Congrats on the run!! It is beautiful here today too! not quite sundress weather but pretty close ๐Ÿ™‚

7 foodfitnessandfreya February 21, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Waay BIG congrats on your run, especially after 10miles the day before! That’s awesome!! I like the idea of doing four 4milers – that sounds almost easy compared to a 16mile run. Thanks for the tip!
Have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) February 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Congrats on the run! I also knocked out a 16-miler this morning and am now devouring oats in a jar. Mmm, love post-long run breakfasts!

9 Lauren February 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great job on the run! There is still snow up north, but the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day! Have a great one.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm

BRING IT ON!!! woot. Great run.

I hope that sundress weather is booming in 27 days!!! lol

11 dianacheung February 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm

have a wonderful sunday at the farmer’s market. You deserve lovely fresh eats after the weekend miles you ran!

12 Crystal February 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Congrats on your run! It must have felt so rewarding to finally have accomplished something like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I noticed that you had one of those energy bars before your run. I am experimenting with trying to find a good one. I found Luna bars are tasty, but I was wondering if you had any brands that were tasty or something to avoid?

13 Jean @BellaBeFabulous February 21, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Congratulations on your 16-miler Meghann – that’s absolutely outstanding!

I did a 18K yesterday and found myself working hard to not feel overwhelmed by the distance at the start. I really like your approach of breaking it down into segments, I will try that during this week’s 20K.

Enjoy your Sunday:)

14 Rachel February 21, 2010 at 2:44 pm

The sun is certainly shining, but 20 degree weather is not conducive to sundresses! Sounds like you have a fabulous Sunday planned – enjoy it for all us Northerners ๐Ÿ™‚ Congratulations on your run this morning. Sometimes it really is a ‘mind over matter’ deal.

15 biz319 February 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I agree, just getting out the door is half the battle sometimes. SO JEALOUS OF YOUR WEATHER! Winter won’t end in the midwest ๐Ÿ™

16 D February 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Did that meal fill you up after 16 miles? That muffin looks awfully small.

17 poiseinparma February 21, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I’m jealous of your sundress weather! I’m just happy to have the balmy 38 degrees here in Cleveland! At least the piles of snow are melting away!

18 runningwithsass February 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm

great job on the 16! that’s a good idea to break it down into 4 sections!

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 21, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Well done on the run! What an awesome effort ๐Ÿ™‚

20 Deirdre February 21, 2010 at 5:28 pm

You Floridians always put our Northern weather to shame. I was just so excited I could just wear a sweatshirt and a vest instead of my heavy winter coat today and you get to wear a sundress! JEALOUS

21 NYCRunnerGirl February 21, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Great job on the run! So jealous of your weather. I feel like we won’t see sundress weather here for at least three months or more!

22 healthy ashley February 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Awesome job! I can’t believe you did a speedy 16 after the trail run!

23 Anne P February 21, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Ahhhh I can’t WAIT for sundress weather in two weeks!!! It better still be there!

Great job on the run ๐Ÿ™‚ That muffin looks delish.

24 Britt February 21, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Great run! So jealous of your sundress weather. It was in the mid-30’s today here… might have gotten slightly close to 40. Apparently others found it balmy at the race I ran today though…. one lady had stripped down to a sports bra & shorts…. crazy New England runners!

25 feetinmotion February 21, 2010 at 8:27 pm

You are so right about the hardest part of a run. Definitely the mindset and getting out of the door. I love beautiful weather and hope ours stays for a bit. Definitely jealous of your weather, all the time!!!!

26 Anna February 21, 2010 at 8:40 pm

So, so jealous of your weather!

That Michelob challenge sounds so hardcore– can’t wait to read all about it!

27 Jenna February 21, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Luckyyy!

28 Emilyeatsclean February 21, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Way to go on a successful run this morning!!! I’m soooo jealous that it’s warm enough there to wear a freakin’ sundress!!!!!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

29 finnyfinds February 22, 2010 at 12:17 am

Nice job, Meghann! You basically just ran a marathon! You so deserve a rest ๐Ÿ™‚

30 meyergirl February 22, 2010 at 10:14 am

We went to the dog park yesterday, too! I was packed! I can’t wait for Spring.

31 Tammy Eros February 22, 2010 at 10:16 am

I guess you don’t taper?

32 Meghann February 22, 2010 at 10:29 am

I usually taper, but since I only had 6 wks to prepare for the race and my training was thrown off by my impromtu extended stay in NYC, I had no choice but to run the high mileage this week. ๐Ÿ™

33 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

You are such an inspiration to me as a runner, that is awesome! I have two months until my half marathon, I have got to start logging some longer runs soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

34 kristilyn February 26, 2010 at 11:49 am

I agree that the hardest part is just getting up and doing it! Of course, I also haven’t ran 16 miles yet – my longest run is planned for tomorrow and it’s only 7.5 miles (working up to 13).

Good for you for finishing it!

K