Hittin' the Trails

by Meghann on February 20, 2010

I told you it was beautiful here!

High of 71 and barely a cloud in the sky! The perfect day to spend in the woods getting lost on a 10 mile run. Wouldn’t you agree? πŸ˜‰

23468_764106227973_14204841_42841684_3727484_n.jpg

Caitlin and I had originally planned a trail run together a couple of weeks ago in celebration of my birthday, but when I got stuck in NYC we had to postpone until this morning. I’m so glad we were able to work it out because it had been far too long since I have been on a decent run with my BFF.

I missed my crazy running partner! I think 10 miles in the woods was the perfect way to reunite.

23468_764106242943_14204841_42841687_260373_n.jpg

This morning was my first time running the Moss Park trails and I was relying on Caitlin’s past experience to get us through. In typical trail fashion we battled mud, deep sand, and marshlands. Personally I think battling the elements is part of the fun in trail runs. It mixes it up.

23468_764106237953_14204841_42841686_3430717_n.jpg

The run was beautiful; a big change from the neighborhoods I’m used to running through.

Unfortunately around mile seven we realized we had somehow ended up on a trail that was heading no where. Ooopsss…

23468_764106257913_14204841_42841689_130737_n.jpg

We were able to back track, find our way to the trailhead, and still managed to hit our 10 mile goal. I’d say that makes us pretty badass. πŸ˜‰

On my way to Caitlin’s this morning I had a Luna Chocolate Peppermint Stick Bar as pre-run fuel.

After our run Caitlin and I set up a lovely picnic.

My grandparents had given me a lovely picnic basket for Christmas and I was excited to finally have a chance to use it!

I had packed an assortment of goodies for lunch.

Cantaloupe, Green Snap Peas, Brown Rice Cakes, Carrots, and Almond Butter.

I got a little creative and made open face almond butter & carrot sandwiches on the rice cakes.

It was pretty genius if you ask me. πŸ˜‰

Caitlin and I split the last of my Sin Dawg for dessert.

After our picnic I hit up the mall to find something fun to wear for the marathon next weekend, but didn’t have much luck. I did find a cute new outfit to wear to work though. πŸ™‚

I also made a stop at Whole Foods for the ‘essentials’ and grabbed a juice while I was there.

I ordered a small Rise & Shine.

I wanted to try a vegetable juice with ginger since it seems to be such a popular addition on other’s blogs, but I wasn’t a fan. The ginger made the drink too spicy. πŸ™

In the car I broke into the cornbread I had purchased.

I <3 Whole Foods cornbread!

My plans tonight feel through so it looks like another quiet evening for me. Unless anyone has an fun ideas on what’s going on in Orlando tonight? Anyone?

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 20, 2010 at 6:58 pm

What a cute picnic!! 10 miles on a trail is some serious Saturday fun in my book. Chocolate peppermint stick Lunas are the BEST!!! My favorite by far.

2 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

LOL! I love that bird creeping up on your picnic. πŸ™‚

K

3 Kelly February 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Looks like so much fun! I love your picnic basket and Vera Bradley lunch bag. I have the luggage, I think I might have to add the lunch bag to my collection.

4 islandgirleats February 20, 2010 at 7:23 pm

What a great run. I am so envious!

Ginger is nice in fruit smoothies. I had one today and it was great!

5 foodfitnessandfreya February 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Ah I saw your run on Caitlin’s blog, it looked so fun! I wish there were decent trails near me, I’d love to go trail running πŸ™‚ Is it much harder than road running?
Have a good evening πŸ™‚

6 caitlin February 20, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I HAVE THE WORST KNEE SLEEVE TAN LINESSSSSSSSSSS.

7 Anne P February 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Baaahahah I was JUST going to comment on them! Hot πŸ˜‰

8 angiismyname February 20, 2010 at 8:05 pm

will you please enter my contest so people will actually enter

9 tropicaleats February 20, 2010 at 8:33 pm

love the picnic!!! πŸ™‚ Rice cakes are my favorite snack.. i usually smear them with pb and jelly for a late night snack. thats a great idea to put carrots on it!

10 Anne P February 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm

That looks so fun!! SO jealous of the amazing weather and the trail. I can’t wait til I’m there in 2 weeks!! πŸ™‚

11 Becky February 20, 2010 at 9:05 pm

that is a very interesting bird standing behind you.

12 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I’ve determined that I don’t like ginger either. πŸ™ Not good in juice!

13 biz319 February 20, 2010 at 9:19 pm

What a great run and picnic!! Um, totally jealous of your weather – we are supposed to get up to a foot of snow starting tomorrow!

14 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 20, 2010 at 9:27 pm

You and Caitlin both have such great attitudes! Getting lost at Mile 7? That’s just part of the fun!!! πŸ™‚

15 Lconnolly February 20, 2010 at 9:30 pm

That sounds like a fun adventure run!

BTW, that’s a Sandhill Crane standing around during your picnic. I have a large painting of these birds in my living room. It was painted by a Florida artist. I used to live in Jupiter, FL before moving to North Carolina. I was never able to get such a close up shot of a Sandhill. You guys are lucky because Sandhills are awesome birds.

16 Leena February 20, 2010 at 9:34 pm

looks like you had a great run! i wish the weather was that nice here! still snowy and cold… yuck! and yes, whole foods corn bread is the best! possibly one of my favorites… and that’s saying a lot πŸ™‚

17 missyrayn February 20, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Have you tried the chocolate peppermint mini lunas. I love them for a quick treat. But full sized Lunas are usually my pre-run fuel too.

18 meyergirl February 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm

ooh! That mud looks vicious! Ya’ll are harcore. πŸ™‚

19 Jocelyn February 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I love your picnic basket! Very cute πŸ™‚ Sounds like you 2 had a great run and picnic! If you like the luna peppermint stick..I am giving some away along with other goodies πŸ™‚

20 Rachel @ a Pecan and a Matzah February 20, 2010 at 11:29 pm

That bird is ginormous! It reminds me of the one in the movie Up. Hilarious!

Very jealous of your lovely weather and run. 10 miles on the treadmill is just not the same, but it won’t be 71 and sunny here (in CT) for a quite a while.

21 Sarah February 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I would be so freaked if a big a&& bird like that was creeping up behind me to steal my lunch!!!

22 abbynormally February 20, 2010 at 11:54 pm

That looks like the best day!!!

23 Heather February 21, 2010 at 12:27 am

looks like a great trail run…it’s so nice to get dirty and really enjoy the outdoors!

24 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 21, 2010 at 12:47 am

Oh man, what awesome weather! I ran in snow today, I’m so jeal! I loooove WF cornbread with blueberries which they seem to plant all over my local WF.

25 Crystal February 21, 2010 at 3:18 am

Looks lovely! I think you should come to BC, Canada some time if you are able. We have so many trails here that wind through the mountains, rivers, lakes, and forests. Sometimes when I walk home from university, I run (walk?) into some deer!
Scenery makes such a difference for running/walking. πŸ™‚

26 Britt February 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

Sounds like a great run! So jealous of your weather!! Spring where are you? πŸ™‚

27 Jenn (eating bender) February 21, 2010 at 10:47 am

I absolutely LOVE the picture of you eating cantaloupe with a bird right behind you! I’m so envious of your weather this time of year πŸ™‚ I can’t wait for Chicago to warm up…in about 3 months!

The run with Caitlin looked fabulous – and I love Whole Foods cornbread, too!

28 dianacheung February 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I love how you have blogger friends that surround you with the same common interests! It’s hard to explain to nonblog friends the importance of taking photos of your eats as well as EXERCISING. Glad to see you have such a great support system.

29 NYCRunnerGirl February 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm

That picnic basket is beautiful! It looks like it fits a lot, too. You are so hard core – 10 miles yesterday and 16 today? You’ll definitely be ready for next weekend!