Body Sculpting

by Meghann on February 19, 2010

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Did this week just fly by or was it just me? Either way I am ready for the weekend.

After so many weekends of traveling and entertaining I am ready for a low key weekend at home. Bring on the pajamas and couch – I’m ready for it!

Last Friday I had the pleasure of joining Dori and Missy for my first Core Fusion class in NYC. The class was a challenge and worked almost every muscle in my body. The next day I was sore, but in a good way. ;)

While I was in NYC Dori was kind enough to gift me the Core Fusion Body Sculpt DVD so that I could continue to take a class at home. (Thanks again Dori!)

IMG_9942

This morning I popped the 50 minute DVD in and got my body sculpting on.

The DVD was brutal, but not as brutal in the class. I missed having the instructor from the class pushing me to do the more advance moves and to hold the pose for just a couple of seconds longer. I felt like the DVD was very relaxed and too soothing. With no one to push me I was more inclined to take breaks and drop down to the easier version of the exercises.

However, I do feel like this DVD is still a great challenge. I just need to work on my effort and focus with the movements in the future. The moves really are difficult and its easy to just let your mind give up. The trick is to be your own instructor and tell yourself to hold on for just a little bit longer. :)

Rachel from Shedding it and Getting it (Love her blog by the way!) recently completed a Core Fusion Challenge of her own. She set a goal of completing 16 sessions of the DVD in 4 weeks and had great results that you can read about by clicking here.

I see a similar challenge coming up in my future. Perhaps in time for the upcoming bikini season? ;)

Breakfast was a big bowl of cereal.

IMG_9935

Someone had commented the other day about how I ignore the serving size suggestion on the box and making big bowls of cereal. Well, that’s not entirely true, I do take the serving size in to consideration, but most of the cereals I eat are pretty low in calories and a serving size of Kashi Honey Sunshine (3/4 cup = 100 calories) isn’t going to put a dent in my hunger.

So, I mix the cereals up and combine 1/2 a serving of a few different kinds to get a decent size bowl that will hold me over longer than thirty minutes. Cereal is the one thing I use measuring cups with just to make sure I am getting the proper serving amounts in my bowl. I tend to either go under or overboard with cereal.

IMG_9938

Today’s bowl contained

• 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean
  • 1/4 cup Homemade Granola
  • One Lucky Duck Chocolate Crispies
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Crofter’s South America Superfruit Spread

The Crofter’s South America Superfruit Spread is the second jar I’ve opened in the shipment the company sent me a couple of weeks ago to review.

IMG_9944

The spread was chunky, thick, and a great add-in to my cereal this morning. Another superfruit spread winner. :)

IMG_9939

Girlfriend Getaway Orlando…

Back in January I saw a commercial for a contest that was seeking Orlando area bloggers and tweeters to drive a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse for the month of March.  Not thinking much of it I got online and entered for a chance to win. Last week I got the call – I had won!

Four other local bloggers (including Caitlin) and I will be presented with a 2010 Traverse next Wednesday as part of Chevrolet’s Girlfriend Getaway Orlando.

Not only will we be driving the 2010 Traverse for the month of March, but Chevrolet will be covering all gas expenses and have set up some cool promotional deals along the way (like free massages)!

I’ve already planned a few road trips in my new Traverse – hello Tampa and Miami! – and am really excited to have an SUV that I can easily get my bicycle in and out of! Maybe this will inspire me to go on more rides?

1 Dori February 19, 2010 at 10:25 am

Great DVD review. When you roadtrip to miami you can take Core Fusion there! Congrats on winning!

2 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 19, 2010 at 10:26 am

That is SO crazy cool about the Traverse! How exciting!

3 Christie @ Honoring Health February 19, 2010 at 10:28 am

Wow, that is awesome!! Sounds so fun!

4 meyergirl February 19, 2010 at 10:32 am

That’s super exciting! Do you think you’ll end up in a commercial?

5 megan February 19, 2010 at 10:34 am

wow that is awesome! can’t wait to see the pictures :)

6 Emilyeatsclean February 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

Okay I’m in blogger envy again!!! You are one lucky duck winning trips to NYC and cars to test drive for a month!!! Whooo hooo way to go!!!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

7 kirsten February 19, 2010 at 10:42 am

that’s awesome about the car! congrats!!

8 Kelly February 19, 2010 at 10:48 am

Wow, that’s an awesome contest to win. I would save so much money for that month if I didn’t have to pay for gas. Congrats! Also, I always ignore serving sizes for cereal too. Really, who can eat 3/4 cup of anything and be full?

9 Nekeisha February 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

Congrats!! You definitely have to keep us updated about the pros and cons, loves and hates.

10 megzzwinsatlife February 19, 2010 at 10:52 am

That is awesome!! Since you started blogging you have gotten so many things.. well deserved I must add..

11 Anna February 19, 2010 at 10:55 am

That’s so cool that you actually won that contest!!! I can’t wait to see where y’all go!

I just got one of the Core Fusion DVDs, and it was HARD!!! I agree with you though– it’s really easy to slack off when doing DVDs at home, as opposed to in a class where you’ll really push yourself.

12 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) February 19, 2010 at 10:59 am

Free gas AND room for your bike? Sounds awesome! As a New Yorker, I should really get my butt to a Core Fusion class….TGIF!

13 eaternotarunner February 19, 2010 at 11:00 am

That is so exciting! Road trips are so fun :-)

14 Sara @ ActiveGal February 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

Wow! What a great deal!! Congrats!! Roads trips are even more fun when you aren’t the one paying for the gas! :)

15 Jessica Zara February 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

I’m with you on the DVDs: they just never seem as tough as a good gym class, even if you do push yourself to do the exercises to the max level…perhaps it’s psychosomatic and being in a gym environment creates more of a workout ‘vibe.’

I hope that person wasn’t asking the question in a critical sense: you’re so active that you obviously need more than a measly 100-calorie portion of cereal…heck, most people need more than the ‘recommended’ serving size anyway because it’s so ludicrously small. Your breakfasts NEVER look excessive to me and often seem quite light, particularly after your long runs.

Congratulations about the contest! I’m sure you’ll have all sorts of fun with your new Traverse :D

~Jess~

16 Sophie February 19, 2010 at 11:03 am

Great DVD review. I have been debating which DVD to buy – Core Fusion or 30 day shred. Do you have any suggestions? I need something to mix up my workout!

17 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 19, 2010 at 11:27 am

Saw your comment and thought I’d respond! I haven’t tried the Core Fusion DVD, but I think which you get will really depend on your goals. I love the 30 Day Shred for days when I just need to squeeze in a quick workout (they’re each 20 minutes), or sometimes I do 2 or 3 levels at a time for a full workout. Each workout is a combination of 3 circuits, each containing 3 minutes of strength moves, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work. How difficult they are depends on how heavy of weights you use…I use 6-7 lb weights and definitely get a good workout!

18 Can You Stay for Dinner February 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

WOW! That’s so exciting! Can’t wait to see all your travels!

19 Jenna February 19, 2010 at 11:30 am

Omg congrats!!!

20 Run Sarah February 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

Congrats, that is so much fun!!

21 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 19, 2010 at 11:32 am

That’s awesome! Congratulations!

22 Heather February 19, 2010 at 11:34 am

wow, what a cool weekend! that’s going to be so much fun to read about…can’t wait :)

23 theprocessofhealing February 19, 2010 at 11:38 am

Congrats on winning!!! How exciting!!!

Love Crofter’s. And great idea about mixing cereals. I love cereal but don’t generally eat it for breakfast because it doesn’t keep me full.

24 goodtastehealthyme February 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Congrats! That is so awesome!!

25 Jess February 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Meghann,
That’s totally awesome! Congrats! No paying for gas for a month?? That’s the best part :)

26 Heather February 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Oh my goodness that’s amazing!!! How cool!!! :)

27 foodfitnessandfreya February 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I’m so glad you ignore the serving size (was it my comment you were referring to? I know I mentioned it) – I think the serving sizes are ridiculous! 30g!? Er ..no..that ‘serving’ is just like, a sprinkle on top of my oatmeal for me :p I always have at least 1.5cups cereal, plus yogurt and fruit :D

28 Becky @ flybynyght February 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Well, if you really want to put that gas to good use, come for a road trip to Canada, lol!!! :) Enjoy your Traverse!

29 biz319 February 19, 2010 at 12:37 pm

How cool is that??!! And free gas! You are one lucky girl!

Happy Friday!

30 Jessica February 19, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Congrats on winning the contest!

31 Sarah February 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Congrats on winning the contest Meghann! If I may ask, do you have to do anything for Chevy in return? just blog about it? Sorry if I’m nosy – just curious!

32 Meghann February 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm

All I do is blog about it :)

33 Missy Maintains February 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Congrats on winning! Very exciting! I feel the same about the DVD. I really need to be in class where someone is pushing me to work harder. I tend to take the easy way out at home :)

34 Danica February 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Congrats on winning ~ that is awesome! Too bad you have to give the car back…maybe they will offer up a sweet deal at the end :D I’d so do it for the FREE MASSAGES LOL.

I am the same with DVD’s – they are great in a pinch but being in class really pushes me further sometimes (if my lack of coordination doesn’t get in the way that is).

Have a great relaxing weekend!

Danica

35 Baking is my Zen February 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I’ve voted. Good luck. Great thing you’ve done!

36 Catherine February 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

That is so exciting!! Variety is the spice of life so definitely use it to get in some different running & biking scenery if you can! I have kind of an important question for you – my fiance was at his dermo today and was telling him about me and how I was training for a marathon and the doctor pretty much told him that if he wants a healthy wife he should tell me to stop doing marathons immediately (he’s never met me) because all marathons, tri’s etc. are horrible for you and will cause you an early death and I’d be better off smoking and drinking in a bar. I was outraged when I heard that, but I know a lot of people hold that mindset. Obviously you’ve done a marathon are training for a tri so what do you think about that claim? He mainly cited the fact that women who exercise a lot are likely to injure their joints, decrease their sex drive and possibly cause missed periods. I haven’t experienced any of these though other than a knee injury months ago.

37 Angela February 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’ve seen these dvds before but never thought about getting them but now I think I might! I do have a gym membership so I rely on dvds a lot for my strength days!

38 kellieatsforfun February 19, 2010 at 6:23 pm

So exciting, congratulations on the win! Are you going to be making any Disney stops on your trip?

39 Leslie February 19, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Hey, I started the Physique 57 DVDs and they are tough and great but then I started taking Tower classes at the Pilates Loft and it is clear these DVDs are based in Pilates. Pilates Loft rocks and I have muscles in places you never thought you could (like where thigh meets but (thut)). It is on Orange Avenue and you should try a class and give it a review. Try the owner Jenn’s class Thursdays at 5:30 pm.

40 Kath February 19, 2010 at 9:45 pm

SO COOL about the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41 Rachel @ Shedding It February 19, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Heyohh thanks for the shout-out…I HIGHLY recommend doing a Core Fusion swimsuit countdown!! Two weeks into the challenge I was looking at bikinis online because it was seriously working! I wish I could take the classes (I can only imagine how intense/amazing they are), but sticking with the DVDs definitely made me a convert!

42 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:14 am

Sometimes workout videos are tough … I was doing the 30-Day shred and found myself pausing in between sets thinking that if I were in a class, I’d definitely feel guilty if the instructor saw me doing that! Today I pushed myself and made it through without rest and it felt great!

That’s awesome about the car! I never win anything … some people are just so lucky, huh? ;-)

43 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm

How awesome that you (and Caitlin) won that contest! Can’t wait to see pics ;-)