more ยป" />

A Lazy Friday Night

by Meghann on February 19, 2010

I can not tell you how good it feels to be home on a Friday night. There is something about the combination of couch and pjs without the worry of having to wake up early for work the next day that just makes me happy. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was getting pretty burnt out at work this afternoon and needed a great snack to get me through the home stretch.

Brown Rice Cake + Barney Butter + Dried Apricots = perfect home stretch fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚

If I had to pick a theme for my Friday night it would have to be pure laziness. From the minute I stepped in the door after work to the minute I go to bed I want nothing more than to sit my butt in front of the tv and not move. I have been so tired all week and really feel like I need a break. A Friday night on the couch has never sounded more blissful.

The idea of a big production for dinner was not appealing to me at all. Instead I headed to the pantry for a quick meal idea and uncovered a can of Progresso French Onion Soup that would hit the spot.

This can was a apart of a 15-can shipment that Progresso had sent me to review. I’ve never had french onion soup from a can before and was really interested in how it would taste.

I heated up the french onion soup on the stove top then topped it with some toast I had cubed to resemble homemade croutons and some gorgonzola cheese.

The soup was actually really good! I think the addition of the gorgonzola cheese added an interesting twist to the traditional concept of overflowing swiss cheese on french onion soup. It was a good twist that brought the canned version up a notch and had me looking forward to each bite. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I paired the soup with a simple salad

• Spinach
  • Beets
  • Mushrooms
  • Snap Peas
  • Tomato
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Cashews
  • Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing

This meal fit perfectly into my ‘pure laziness’ theme. ๐Ÿ™‚

For Dessert I had 1/2 of one of Amanda’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Blondies with some egg nog ice cream. (Yes, I still have egg nog and peppermint ice cream in my freezer ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Time to get back to being lazy.

I have a date with my DVR

And with this little bundle of energy.

God bless weekends!

1 theprocessofhealing February 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I actually love lazy nights like that! Going out is fun and all but sometimes you just need some PEACE! I’ve never seen veggie french onion soup..sounds good!

2 Stephanie February 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I can’t believe your DVR is only 20% full… mine is always packed!!

3 Meghann February 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm

That’s because I delete stuff as soon as I watch it and its just me controlling what gets recorded. ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 19, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I was looking for egg nog ice cream today but only found pumpkin! I’ll take it ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Becky February 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I made vegan peanut butter cups last week -BLISS! Thank god for boyfriends – my Reese’s addicted guy gobbled them all up before I ate too many. Such a great treat though.

6 Emilyeatsclean February 19, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Enjoy your lazy night Meghann….you deserve it!!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

7 Evan Thomas February 19, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Enjoy the night! I was looking forward to a nice Friday in cooking a good piece of meat while I had the time. Then I remembered it’s Lent for me ๐Ÿ™ Meat for tomorrow! I guess

8 shelly February 19, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Your evening sounds heavenly… I believe mine will be similar tomorrow night.

9 Jenna February 19, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Enjoy!

10 Heather February 19, 2010 at 11:26 pm

amen girl, i love the weekends! hope you enjoy your fabulously lazy night…i know i sure will! ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Pure2Raw Twins February 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Looks like you are going to have a nice relaxing weekend. Wish we had a DVR! Love Cougar Town. ๐Ÿ™‚

12 meyergirl February 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I’m with you. Suprisingly it wasn’t nearly as hard to avoid the TV as I thought it would be (gave it up for Lent…sorta). I plopped down with a book, instead.

13 Kelly February 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm

1 your friday night sounds exactly like mine 2 life unexpected is my new fav show 3 french onion soup is my absolute fav ever… ok back to ice dancing I go!

14 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:07 am

I love French Onion soup! I never buy it though because my husband has a hatred towards all things oniony. Yours looks delicious!

Lazy nights are the best … I have my long run planned for the morning, so I’m taking it easy reading blogs. My pups aren’t bundles of energy though … they’re all asleep!

K

15 Beth (Mackattack) February 20, 2010 at 1:37 am

Friday night at home is the best. I noticed the stores are still selling pumpkin, eggnog and peppermint ice creams. Crazy!

16 Milca February 20, 2010 at 3:27 am

That is so funny!!! We have the same shows on our DVR!!!! I need to catch up too!!!

17 foodfitnessandfreya February 20, 2010 at 4:23 am

Lazy nights are the best, I try and give myself one night off a week from work to have them ๐Ÿ™‚ tv + tasty food = best lazy night ever ๐Ÿ˜›
I love that you took a whole jar of PB to wrok, that’s great ๐Ÿ˜€
Have a good evening!

18 kellieatsforfun February 20, 2010 at 4:35 am

Impressive DVR–I’m also a fan of The Deep End! Looks like you had a nice, relaxing evening. Those Progresso soups continue to impress me. They’re so much better than how I remember canned soups! Hope you have a great weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

19 brooke February 20, 2010 at 8:00 am

I love how even though you were lazy you still made a beautiful dinner.
I had the same kind of Friday night- there is nothing better!

20 NYCRunnerGirl February 20, 2010 at 8:39 am

Your pup looks like she is ready to play, not relax!

Hope you enjoyed your Friday night. I was in too, and it was great.

21 Rachel February 20, 2010 at 9:28 am

I agree that Friday night couldn’t come soon enough this week. It just seemed like are really long week for some reason. I love how you dressed up the soup. I love French Onion soup and have tried all the canned varieties. In my opinion, Progresso does the best job. Still prefer the real deal though… Hope you have a very relaxing weekend so that you are ready to tackle next week come Monday.

22 amanda February 20, 2010 at 11:01 am

lazy fridays are the best!

and i really like that new show life unexpected. but i’m pretty sure i have two episodes waiting in my dvr for me.

happy saturday!

23 inmytummy February 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

My fiance makes so much fun of me for watching Life Unexpected. I just really like it.

Who do you want to win Project Runway?

24 Crystal February 20, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Just wanted to say I love your blog! I’m just getting into running so I enjoy reading about how much everyone loves it. Your dog is so cute! He looks like mine except my puppy is black and white. What kind of dog is he?