more ยป" />

One Gorgeous Day

by Meghann on February 18, 2010

Good morning!

The sun is shining bright, there is not a cloud in the sky, and the high today for Orlando is 61. What the hell am I doing inside? Oh yeah, thereโ€™s this whole job thing. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Gotta make that $$ somehow!

It pretty chilly out this morning, but I gritted my teeth, bundled  up, and managed a 6 mile tempo run. I warmed up for a mile and then did 4 tempo miles at an 8:30 pace before slowing down for the final mile.

As a reward for braving the cooler temps on my run this morning, I had one of my favorite breakfasts upon my return โ€“ Waffles!

IMG_9887

This waffle was from a batch I had prepared a few weeks ago and had froze the left overs. This morning I popped it in the toaster and slathered it with almond butter and a mix of cranberry jam and peach that I had warmed up in the microwave this morning.

IMG_9890

I finished it off with some cacao nibs and flax seeds. The warm combination was a great way to re-fuel after a cold run.

Twenties Girlโ€ฆ

A couple of weeks ago I had blogged about the book Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella. A few of you had requested I give a quick book review and it just so happens I finished it on my way in this morning.

I am a huge Sophie Kinsella fan and have read all her books (even the ones under her pseudo name Madeline Wickman). The book Twenties Girl was just as I have grown to expect and love from her. In true Sophie Kinsella fashion the main character is a bit of ditz and at first you tend to cringe on some of her airhead moves, but as the book progresses you fall in love with the character and are rooting for her success.

The book kept me entertained and was a nice change of pace to listen to on my commute to and from work. It also made the 1.5 hour trip to my parents the other weekend (gotta love rush hour traffic!) a little more enjoyable.

If you are looking for a light, quick read I would recommend Twenties Girl as a nice escape from real life. But, if you are more into serious books and canโ€™t stand flaky characters then I would stand clear. ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, I just need to find out where the heck my local library is so I can have more books to listen to on my commute. And maybe one day I will have a real ipod besides a shuffle so that I can listen to them on my long runs too. Something tells me the shuffle wonโ€™t do a very good job with that one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lost Dogโ€ฆ

One of my co-workersโ€™ dogs went missing the other week and he is really torn up about it. I know I have quite a few readers in the Orlando area, so I am hoping someone will help.

This is Scooby.

DSCN1187

He escaped from the back yard of a friendโ€™s house it the Conway and Lake Underhill area of Orlando. He is not chipped and does not have his tags on him. He is very friendly and a bundle of love.

DSCN1190

If you have seen Scooby or know anyone that may have come in contact with him please send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com

My co-worker has been searching nonstop and has been to almost every animal shelter in Orange County looking for Scooby. He really means a lot to him so any information anyone has would really be a blessing.

1 megzzwinsatlife February 18, 2010 at 9:49 am

I need a good reading for my Fl trip and Twenties girl sounds perfect!!

I hope Scooby is found.. He is soo cute ๐Ÿ™

2 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 18, 2010 at 9:49 am

I hope your coworker finds his pup! He looks like a sweetheart!

3 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 18, 2010 at 9:50 am

Oh no! I hope Scooby is found soon.

Thanks for the book review, I am in need of some new reading material and many of my friends love Sophie Kinsella, so I need to give her a shot.

4 megan February 18, 2010 at 9:51 am

That’s so sad about the lost dog. I’m nowhere near Orlando, but I hope somembody finds him!

Great review of the book. I love sophie kinsella books. On my last long car trip I listened to “can you keep a secret” and it made me laugh out loud! Even my husband was listening to it!

5 Babycakes February 18, 2010 at 9:58 am

oh my gosh, my heart breaks for Scooby and your co-worker. There’s not much I can do from here in Boston, except pray that he’ll be found. Please keep us posted!

6 Diana February 18, 2010 at 10:01 am

Oh no! I hope Scooby is found safe and sound. This actually breaks my heart – I can’t imagine losing my puppy.
I started 20’s Girl but just couldn’t get into it for some reason. I love all of her other books.
Diana

7 whitinspired February 18, 2010 at 10:05 am

Poor Scooby…I hope his owner finds him, I don’t know what I would do if I lost one my dogs!

8 biz319 February 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

Okay, you are killing me with your high temps today – I’ll be happy with 30! Our sun is shining too – I can just taste spring!

Poor Scooby – what a beautiful dog!

9 Paula February 18, 2010 at 10:07 am

Oh, poor Scooby. Prayers and good thoughts sent that he’ll be found. Tell your co-worker to keep checking the shelters. All of them, and GO in person. Lots of times the shelter workers just can’t take time over the phone to be thorough, so he should go to the shelters and look himself (if he isn’t already). I’m sure he’s already done this, but an add in the paper and fliers posted in the area may help, too. We found a little dog once and held on to him a couple of days trying to find the owner. After a couple of days, we found a “lost dog” ad in the paper and were able to reunite him with his owner. I hope there’s a happy ending for Scooby and his owner, too.

10 Anna February 18, 2010 at 10:10 am

Awww, Scooby is so cute!!! I hope that someone finds him ๐Ÿ™ His owner should check Craigslist– that’s how we reunited a lost dog with her owner!

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 18, 2010 at 10:11 am

I am drooling over your peaches and longing for summer days ๐Ÿ™‚

12 meyergirl February 18, 2010 at 10:11 am

I tweeted you about this, my suggestions are for your co-worker to put up posters (if they haven’t already) and try using findtoto.com. Good luck to them! I know how they feel and it is awful!

13 Kim February 18, 2010 at 10:12 am

I listen to a lot of books on CD and yesterday got out a bunch of kids books – Laura Ingalls Wilder and more! It’ll be so fun to re”read” them again! Just an idea if you’re looking for more books!

14 MEG C. February 18, 2010 at 10:12 am

“sophie kinsella” is actually the pseudonym, madeline wickman is her real name (so i hear.) i hope your coworker finds his doggie!!

15 Kelly February 18, 2010 at 10:18 am

Aww I hope Scooby is found ๐Ÿ™ That book sounds kind of perfect for my week long Outer Banks vacation this summern.

16 Syl February 18, 2010 at 10:19 am

I have a dog that likes to “escape” and I know what scooby’s owners must be going through, hope he is found!

So jealous of the weather, we are dealing with snow here, makes running outside a challenge ๐Ÿ™‚

17 eaternotarunner February 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

Aw I hope they find him quickly :-/

18 caitlin February 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

did he put an ad on craigslist? a lot of people look for found/lost dogs on there!

19 Run Sarah February 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love Kinsellas writing – she’s one of my favourite authours for chicklit. Hope somebody finds Scooby soon.

20 Lacey February 18, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love Sophie Kinsella and was completely unaware that she published anything under a pseudonym- thanks for the heads up ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be praying for the safe return of Scooby- how heartbreaking it is to have a lost pet!

21 NYCRunnerGirl February 18, 2010 at 10:26 am

The story about Scooby seriously broke my heart this morning. Please keep us updated – I’ll be thinking about your coworker (and Scooby).

22 Can You Stay for Dinner February 18, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the book review! I love to read and am always interested in recommendations!
I hope Scooby is found!
Have a fabulous Thursday!

23 Mellissa February 18, 2010 at 10:37 am

Hoping that Scooby is found!

24 Chia February 18, 2010 at 10:42 am

It’s true, Kinsella is the pseudonym, Wickham is her real name.

25 Emilyeatsclean February 18, 2010 at 10:48 am

I didn’t know Sophie Kinsella had a pseudo name! My sister and I both enjoy her books…..thanks for sharing that little tid bit of info. Also that’s so nice of you of you to post Scooby’s pics for your friend……hope he’s found soon!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

26 Christie @ Honoring Health February 18, 2010 at 11:16 am

I hope Scooby is found ASAP!

I am SO into books on CD right now. I have a 50 minute commute and listening to books are the only thing that make them bearable. I am currently listening to a Sophie Kinsella one right now called Remember Me. I have never read anything by her but really think the characters are quirky and fun. Not a serious read by any stretch of the imagination but great for commuting when you just need the time to pass. I will check out Twenties Girl!

27 Whit February 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

Flaky characters? Me love. Huge shopaholic fan.

Why are you not coming to Fitbloggin so we can hang and chat about flaky books and such?

I hope your coworker finds their dog, that is so upsetting. ๐Ÿ™

28 Heather February 18, 2010 at 11:28 am

oh scooby is sooooo cute…not that i’d see him in colorado, but i really hope they find him!

29 Sophie February 18, 2010 at 11:43 am

I hope your coworker finds her dog! How awful and sad ๐Ÿ™ I read on Caitlin’s blog that you are doing a crazy 5k, 15k, and then a marathon — good luck! What an amazing challenge! You’ll do great ๐Ÿ˜‰

30 adrienmelaine February 18, 2010 at 11:52 am

Thanks for the book review- I may just pick it up- I need an escape to say the least

31 Estela @ Weekly bite February 18, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I would kill to have 61 degrees in DC!

I really hope Scooby is found!!!

Have a great day!

32 foodfitnessandfreya February 18, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Hot peach – great idea!
I’m glad you did a review of that book – I like Sophie Kinsella but I didn’t like the sound of the story line of that book – but now you’ve reviewed it, I’m far more tempted!
I hope your co-woker finds his dog soon ๐Ÿ™ good luck with it.

33 Sara @ ActiveGal February 18, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I hope someone finds Scooby soon! Poor guy! Your waffles look delicious, I sure wish I could drag myself out of bed early enough in the mornings to make delicious creations like that!

34 Lauren February 18, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Oh, it breaks my heart when someone loses a dog ๐Ÿ™ I can’t imagine how anxious and sad I’d be if my puppy went missing.

I’m very far from the Orlando area, but I’m keeping Scooby (and your coworker) in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping they are reunited very soon!

35 D February 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

This is random, but do you measure out the amount of almond butter you use or do you just put on however much you want? Do you know approximately how much you used?

36 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 4:42 pm

No, I don’t measure. I usually just get a nice size glob from the jar and sort of eyeball it. I would guess 2 tablespoons, but I would probably be way off on that guess ๐Ÿ™‚

37 Emily February 18, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I really hope your coworker finds his dog, but he should never lose hope! I lost my dog in Iowa City this summer. We put up flyers and put up notices on craigslist and facebook. A bus driver ended up calling at midnight 5 days later saying he saw him. Luckily we got him back. We were all devastated but kept looking. He can’t lose hope ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Catherine February 18, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Hmm it’s not quite 61 degrees in NYC right now… I almost got blown over by the cold wind onmy way back from the gym this morning! Quick question – what do cacao nibs taste like – crunchy, sweet, bitter? I am not a big sweets person, but I do like dark chocolate and carob. Growing up actually my mom used to always buy plain yogurt and let us swirl in carob powder. So yummy if you’ve never tried it! The pods are good to chew on too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Really hope Scooby is found – I’ll say a little prayer.

39 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I like Sophie Kinsella books except for the Shopaholic series. I absolutely cannot stand that character.

It’s funny because I watched the movie and actually liked it!

40 Cassie February 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

i’m praying for your coworker’s puppy! hopefully social media will come through again, just like it did yesterday.

41 teneightsixfour February 18, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Those waffels look ah-mazing! & I bought all of the shopaholic series about 4 years ago and then left them at the airport…doh! I tried doing your fartlek series, my legs are feeling very very sore today!

42 Darci February 18, 2010 at 1:28 pm

thanks for the book review! I will have to read that one. i just finished her shopaholic books!

poor lost puppy. if he wanders clear up to iowa i will make sure to let you know! ๐Ÿ˜‰

43 theprocessofhealing February 18, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Poor doggy ๐Ÿ™‚
The book sounds good though, just my kind of thing!

44 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness February 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I hope Scooby is found! Tell your co-worker to also call the ANIMAL CONTROL in your area. Sometimes they don’t communicate with the shelters, and they take in animals too. Also, another great thing to do is put up flyers at the VET’s office. A lot of vets will allow you to do this, and it’s a great way because people there obviously like animals, and they will be on the lookout. Hope your co-worker finds Scooby… he seems like an adorable buddy!

45 prettytimepiece February 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

i looove sophie kinsella! ๐Ÿ™‚

46 kt February 18, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I hope getting the word out on here about your coworker’s dog helps! I’m a Sophie Kinsella fan too… sometimes you just need some ditzy, thoughtless reading! I’m hoping to pick up Twenties Girl soon.

47 adriana February 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Off the subject, but how did you carry your gels and other fuel during the marathon?

48 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 4:41 pm

In my pockets ๐Ÿ™‚

49 Tyly February 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I hope Scooby is found!!!

Sophie Kinsella is the best! I own all of her books and her MW books. Have you ever read Emily Giffin? She’s great, too!

50 simplyshaka February 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I loved Twenties Girl. It took me awhile to get into but it was fabulous as always! What other authors do you read? I ride the bus or train to work so I am always looking for something new to read.

Sending positive vibes for Scooby’s arrival!!!

51 Misty February 19, 2010 at 2:01 am

I hope Scooby is found quickly!

I have only read “Can You Keep a Secret?” but I plan on picking up more of her books, because I really enjoyed that one! I’ve never been able to get into audio books, though.

52 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:21 am

I loved Twenties Girl, though I love pretty much all of what Sophie Kinsella has put out – even her Madeleine Wickham books.

If you like her, you might like Emily Giffin or Jane Fallon or Lauren Weisberger. They’re all great!

K

PS – I hope Scooby is found!