The Power of Social Media

by Meghann on February 17, 2010

In the craziness of packing my lunch, putting Maddie in her crate, and trying to get out the door on time this morning I somehow managed to forget my SD card reader at home. Ooopss…

I plan to purchase another card reader during my lunch break today, but in the mean time I thought in lieu of sharing my breakfast this morning I would share an e-mail I received from the manager of Amy’s Bread.

Last Friday I had an awful experience at Amy’s Bread in which both my Mom and I were left fuming over. (You can read about the experience here.) Apparently I wasn’t the only one that was upset and a few of you contacted Amy’s Bread on my behalf. Have I mentioned how sweet and supportive you guys are lately?

Long story short, last night I received an apology e-mail from the manager of Amy’s Bread for the Chelsea Market Location. The e-mail was thoughtful, well written, and I could even hear the smile in my Mom’s voice after she read it. Amy’s Bread was quick to redeem themselves and I really appreciate it.

Since so many of you were quick to inform Amy’s Bread of my story (Thank you!), I thought it was only fitting to share the e-mail with you.

Hello Meghann-

Many of your readers have sent us the link to your story chronicling your awful experience here at Amy’s Bread.  I would like to apologize on behalf of all of Amy’s Bread for putting such a sour note on your visit to New York.

I spoke with the cashier in question and do recall the incident myself as I was the manager that stepped in.  I honestly feel this began as a simple misunderstanding that escalated out of control and by no means did she intend to be rude to you.

I wish she would have come to me right away to clear it up rather than allowing any sort of an argument to ensue.  Though, it sounds like I didn’t do much better; I’m really sorry that I failed to apologize.  Being busy is no excuse, I should have taken the time to figure out what the problem was and truly fix it.  I believed at the time that it was as simple as being accidentally overcharged and thought that a refund would take care of it, I had no idea that there were so many problems leading up to the point at the register where I stepped in.  Clearly my trying to be efficient was perceived as being rude and I, too, feel really bad about that.

Long story short: we obviously failed you and we’re really sorry.  It doesn’t matter if she or I didn’t intend to be rude to you if that’s how it was perceived.   We certainly don’t want any of our customers to feel mistreated or uncomfortable in the slightest.  Believe it or not, but we really do pride ourselves on our customer service.  (I recall it being an extremely busy morning and it must have gotten the best of us.)  This is something that I, as well as the rest of my staff, will continue to work on.  We really appreciate everybody that emailed us and made us aware of the situation so we can work on it and prevent it from happening again. I’m just sorry that it had to ruin YOUR morning.

The next time you’re in town, please come back and try us again.  We’d love to treat you to a couple of Manhattan Breakfasts (and we’ll throw in a couple of those oat scones, too! we’re glad that you at least liked those)
Again, we’re very sorry and we hope to see you again so we can make it up to you.

-Luke Ayres
Retail Manager
Amy’s Bread-Chelsea Market
75 Ninth Ave NY, NY 10011

I’ve accepted the manager’s apology and now feel awful for how I reacted to the whole situation. At the time I was angry and that anger really fueled my post, but now – almost a week later – I feel calm and would take a different approach.

The whole Amy’s Bread ordeal really brings the power of social media to light and its current influence on society. It seems companies have to be extra careful with how they treat their customers as they never know who has the power of social media behind them.

For instance, over the weekend I wasn’t the only one who received poor customer service and took to twitter to announce it. On Saturday director Kevin Smith boarded a Southwest flight to Burbank, only to be politely asked to leave the flight a few moments later after the captain deemed he was too obese to fit in his seat.

Kevin Smith immediately took to twitter where he tweeted “Dear @SouthwestAir – I know I’m fat, but was Captain Leysath really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?" and followed up with over a dozen other tweets along the same lines as well as a couple of harsh blog entries.

The whole situation blew up to a public relations nightmare for Southwest as Kevin Smith’s 1.5 million followers immediately came to his defense. You can read further about the back and forth tweets and blog entries in this article here.

As social media grows so does the power and dynamics behind it. It has actually been proven that you will receive a quicker response from Comcast with a tweet rather than dialing in to their customer service center. Companies are smart and they know the drive social media has behind it. I’m interested to see how companies continue to shape themselves in this relatively new medium.

What are your thoughts on the power of social media?

1 Kelly February 17, 2010 at 10:07 am

It really is crazy how dependent on social media networks the world is becoming. Like when facebook first started and it was just for college students, now huge corporations have fb pages. It’s really weird to think about.

2 Quinn February 17, 2010 at 10:08 am

GREAT post! It’s amazing how impactful social media really is. And, I am really glad you got that note from the manager. I was actually telling a NYC friend this weekend what a horrible experience you had there and to never set foot into an Amy’s Bread. Social media has a broader range for word of mouth!

3 megan February 17, 2010 at 10:08 am

That really was a great apology and it makes me respect the company and the manager.

and you’re right about social media. it’s kind of scary actually, because even if a company is doing a great job, being polite, etc, if someone is having a bad day or interprets something the wrong way, it can be a nightmare for the company! It can be good in some situations, but in others, it seems like the best choice is to contact the company directly, not get the power of social media behind you. Maybe that should be the next step if contacting the company fails. I really think a company should be given the opportunity to respond/defend themselves first.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’m glad that they emailed you, which seemed to be heartfelt. I can’t wait to see if you go back and give it another go some day.

5 legalstyle February 17, 2010 at 10:14 am

Wow. This is a very well-written post. Kind of amazing to think that ordinary consumers now wield that kind of influence over industry.

6 theprocessofhealing February 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

Oh wow. It really is crazy how powerful social media truly is. I can hardly remember the time before we had facebook, myspace, and twitter.

7 caitlin February 17, 2010 at 10:18 am

YAY for amy’s bread. classy.

8 MEG C. February 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

it’s certainly a powerful tool, and i think we have to realize the affect that announcing our anger publicly has on people and businesses. It can certainly prompt a response, positive or negative, and begin a dialogue to resolve issues. we may not know both sides of the story until that response is given.

9 skinnyrunner February 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

that is a really nice apology letter from amys. they didn’t know who they were messing with!

10 foodfitnessandfreya February 17, 2010 at 10:23 am

That’s a really good apology you got there.
I agree 100% about social media – it is SO powderful – everyone wants to be part of the ‘In group’ (in psychological terms), they want to be part of the better majority. So if someone who was originally inferior or a minorty suddenly gets a voice, they’re going to listen! Public opinion is sooo important nowawdays…especially with the economy and competition :s
Anyway, good post, I’m glad you and your mum got the apology you deserved!

11 strawberryshortstuff February 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

You’re so right. Yesterday I tweeted about being on hold with rogers cable and soon enough I received a tweet from rogers themselves asking if i needed help. Crazy. Why should those on twitter etc get better service than those not? It doesn’t make sense to me.

12 Samantha February 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

I don’t think you acted wrong at all last week when you vented.
If that’s how the Amy’s employee treated you then they definitely deserved to be ranted about for many viewers to see. Maybe she will get chewed out and it’ll prevent another customer getting their day ruined like you did.
Kudo’s to you!!

I don’t think social media is a bad thing, I mean companies services’ should always be polite and good, so maybe this will just force them to act more professional, always.

13 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

It’s really remarkable how powerful social media has become. I remember a day when even updating a status on Facebook was unheard of, when I tweeted maybe once a day, and that was that. I’m so glad Amy’s bread reacted the way they did!

14 Marie February 17, 2010 at 10:26 am

That is a great e-mail from Amy’s, very classy. As a person who has worked in the food service industry, I think customers tend to overreact with things don’t go their way. Everyone has a bad day, on both sides of the counter.

15 RhodeyGirlTests February 17, 2010 at 10:32 am

I mentioned a company a few days ago- no link- and within 1 hour received an email from that company thanking me for mentioning them. I barely remembered that I had mentioned that product. In a time period where the economy is really struggling, this type if “free” publicity is really appreciated it seems.

I love that Amy’s Bread sent you a formal apology. I would go and support them now, just for doing that.

16 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 17, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’m so relieved that they emailed you! What a thoughtful note and people do make mistakes. It just takes a big person to admit they’re wrong.

I’ve had similar experiences with social media specifically with ordering pizza (Pizza Hut) and shopping (Nordstrom). The pizza experience was negative but the Nordstrom experience was not. I think both companies were happy to intervene and help me out.

17 Ashley February 17, 2010 at 10:37 am

I agree that social media has really evolved. I think the beauty of it is that hopefully this will help retailers keep their employees accountable for their actions.

18 Katie February 17, 2010 at 10:49 am

I think the power of social media is absolutely amazing. As both of these situations demonstrate, companies have to be on their toes when it comes to customer service because you never know who is blogging or tweeting. I know I would definitely take another blogger’s experience with a company in mind when making my own consumer decisions.

19 Becky @ flybynyght February 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

I always try to think about what my words could imply for others. No matter how angry I get, I always ask myself, would I write this if my mom or my boss were sitting beside me?

20 Marie February 17, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Your comment is dead-on.

21 runningwithsass February 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

wow that’s so cool! I am so glad you got a letter. I hear ya on looking back voer a situation and wishing I had handeled it differently. I get so hot headed in the heat of the moment sometimes!

22 apartmentnearchinatown February 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

Sometimes I feel like good customer service is non-existent. I read your initial post about the Amy’s situation and I too felt horrible for you. It is so nice to see that the manager took the time to redeem Amy’s and redeem courtesy and customer service overall.

Thanks for sharing.

23 BethT February 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

Dude, I wouldn’t feel bad AT ALL if I were you. It’s that employee, not you! At least they apologized, but you did NOTHING wrong :0

24 Sarah February 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

When I read your first post on this incident I was expecting that word would get to Amy’s Bread and I wondered if you would receive an apology.

The letter was well written and did the three things that are important for a good apology: “acknowledgment, regret, and responsibility”. I have had the fortune to head to NY a few times and may get back there this summer, based on this I feel I can stick my foot in the door:) Good on them and on you for sharing their letter.

🙂

25 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 17, 2010 at 11:19 am

Wow! What did I comment last week about this? I said they better be careful. Word of mouth can hurt a company, and these are obvious examples! I’m glad you got everything worked out! 😉

26 Britt @ Runnerbelle February 17, 2010 at 11:34 am

It really is a powerful tool! My hubby puts it to great use with his work and has seen great benefits from it.

I also have an instructor that had an interesting result from a picture she posted on facebook of an awful looking sandwich she recieved from a local restaurant. She got lots of comments. She wasn’t friends or a fan of the restaurant on facebook, but apparently one of her facebook friends passed on word of this awful looking sandwich. My instructor showed up to work the next day and found a beautiful sandwich waiting for her with an apology.

27 meyergirl February 17, 2010 at 11:36 am

Great post! I definitely think people with Social Media “power’ have to be careful about what they say because there are so many people who follow them. It may be best to calm down after an incident before writing a blog post or tweeting. Of course, sometimes you just want to USE that power! 😉

28 Cassie February 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

it’s amazing how far social media can reach now. i was wondering if something like this would happen when i first read your story. the manager’s email was terrific, and I would definitely not be deterred from visiting that location after this. I absolutely cannot believe that story about Kevin Smith though – the nerve of some people!

29 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

there are so many great things about social media, but sometimes i think that people take it too far with companies. it’s one thing to be upset about something and talk about it with your friends…this is America after all. But there have been times that I’ve been very aware of ADULTS who threaten to use social media to “take a company down” or to get something they want, as if they’re 4 years old. That’s when I feel like it gets out of hand; however, in your case, you were sharing an experience with us and I don’t feel it was in an effort to get your way or to get back at Amy’s bread.

such a fine line!

30 poiseinparma February 17, 2010 at 11:55 am

Great post. My mom and I were just discussion the power of social media the other night:

On Saturday night, my parents went out to a well respected restaurant in the Cleveland area and had HORRIBLE service. They lost their reservations, stuck them at a table in the waiter’s galley when there were plenty of other tables available in the dining room, and then it took the waiter over ten minutes to get a drink order. My parents stormed out. She went home and posted on Facebook “NEVER GO TO (name of restaurant) EVER!!!”

I, on the other hand, had a wonderful customer service experience at another restaurant and posted about it on my blog. It swings both ways.

You have quite the fans to go ahead and contact the company to comment on the poor customer service that you had. I’m even more impressed by the manager’s response. Reading it, I’m more apt to go to Amy’s since they took that extra step to correct the situation.

31 biz319 February 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I read that Kevin Smith was on a flight that he had purchased two seats. The woman across the aisle from him was apparently big, but her seat was not taken next to her. That didn’t prevent the airline attendant to point out to her that it was okay this time since the seat wasn’t purchased next to her, but next time she’d have to buy two seats to ensure she’d be able to fly! So crazy!!

I almost always write letters or emails if I’ve had poor service, food or both. What irks me is when I don’t ever get a reply – and one time I just got mailed a $20 gift certificate – no apologies, letter – anything!

Glad you got your apology though! 😀

32 Jessica February 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I think you were perfectly justified in your anger and frustration with Amy’s Bread and as a blogger who not only blogs about your healthy living style, but also the reali life situations you live in, you have a right to tell your audiences about your experiences. It’s the same as a talk show hosts raving about a restaraunt or new product. As you said, in a blog, you don’t have to portray a “Life is full of rainbows” outlook. There are good days and there are bad days.

Regarding the power of social media, I feel like it’s a two way street. On the one hand, the instant gratification of getting your thoughts out into the world to vent, to share exciting news, to just say Hey is very enticing and somewhat satisfying. But on the other hand, being so public can leading to misunderstandings as people misinterpret the Facebook status, the tweet, the blog comment. My friend got into an arguement with on of her good friends because she left a facebook status showing sympathy to a boy who threw up in church. Her friend commented how rude it was for the parents to bring their “brat” to church knowing that the child was sick. Obviously not knowing the true situation, an innocent comment on my friends part, turned into a bitch fest for her friend and her friend’s siblings who commented in defense of said friend.

33 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I think it’s great to have social media as a tool for consumers. It helps to give us some power and also helps the businesses as they can be more aware of what the customers want and how to provide it to them.

Remember, people not only use social media to rant about what they don’t like, but also to rave about what they do like. So it can also be used to drum up business. Hence all the free samples that popular bloggers get.

34 Tiffany February 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm

As a communications graduate student, I actually have taken classes where we discuss the power of social media. It is INDEED a very powerful tool when used in the right way! Now with Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc, anyone can have a voice, and companies realize that word will spread reaaaally fast through these mediums, so they must do damage control. So glad you got your apology!

35 Matt February 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Wow what a story about Kevin Smith!

36 kirsten February 17, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I’m happy to see Amy’s bread wrote you such a nice email. I think its really important for managers to get negative feedback sometimes to help keep their customer service in check.

37 Eliza February 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

honestly, I knew this would happen! haha I was waiting for it almost!

38 Lauren February 17, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Very interesting post. First of all, I’m really glad to see that Amy’s sent you a heartfelt apology. I’ve been going there for years, and was so disappointed to read about your unfortunate experience with them. I really don’t think that is indicative of their general treatment of costumers, but I think it’s excellent that your post made them reevaluate how they conduct their business with each and every person.

I’m personally so fascinated by both how powerful and meaningful an outlet social media has become in recent years. So many creative, inspiring, important, and pertinent blogs, etc. exist in this world, and the fact they’re literally only a mouse-click away fosters, in my opinion, an incomparable sense of community and camaraderie between people from all walks of life and all reaches of the globe. It can really be a tool of education, enlightenment, and empowerment. And fun, too!

39 Emilyeatsclean February 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm

WOW!! Social media really does play a big role in today’s society! This topic makes for interesting discussion and gives you lots to think about!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpres.com

40 DiningAndDishing February 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I think it’s great that social media is able to hold companies more accountable. No longer do consumers have to feel like no one will notice poor customer service when it happens to them. It was a very sweet apology that you received so I would say social media pays! 🙂

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

41 Angela February 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm

That’s great that they apologized! Social media plays a huge role in society, I would say that a lot of times I am swayed one way or another by something someone said about a product or a restaurant.

42 Meg February 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm

you have the cutest dog EVER. ohh and i love your blog! i’m also really happy to see that apology email you and your mom definitely deserved an apology!

43 Therese February 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Having worked in restaurants all through high school and college I also can’t help but wonder if there’s a deeper story. Who knows if the last customer was completely nasty to the sales girl or if she was just having an all around bad day. It’s never appropriate to be rude to your customers, but working in the service industry is HARD. People are mean and I always try to cut my servers/cashiers/bartenders some slack.

I’m glad the company at least did apologize for your bad experience.

44 Sam February 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Don’t feel bad Meghann! The only reason Amy’s apologized is because you wrote a blog post about it!

45 runninghealthy February 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I don’t think you should feel bad about how you reacted, even if it was out of anger. Obviously Amy’s knew they did something wrong or you would not have gotten the apology letter that you did.

46 eaternotarunner February 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I think its great that companies will be more aware of their faulty customer service. Glad you got an apology though!

47 greenbean February 17, 2010 at 2:29 pm

BEST APOLOGY EVER!!! I’ve seen some shady shiz go down and have also received poor service with excuses for why I or others were treated so badly. I’m so impressed by Luke’s apology and that he doesn’t try to make any excuses.

48 Heather February 17, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Wow. Pretty big of them to apologize, especially when that was the manager that was actually there being rude. Social media is powerful, and definitely came to your rescue, but it makes me wonder about the people that had bad experiences and weren’t redeemed by way of social media…

49 Sammi February 17, 2010 at 2:57 pm

That was so nice of the manager to email you! As a waitress, it’s really hard to stay calm when things are really busy but that’s why you have to be extra careful to watch what you do and say.
As for social media, the only one I really participate in is blogs. I’ve never even tried out twitter! Also, I deleted my myspace and facebook a couple years ago! I never had any interest in twitter before I started blogging; however, I’m starting to want to try it out. Especially since other bloggers use it to communicate so much!

50 Grace February 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

If you were not honest about your experiences, then like the manager said, they would not have had a chance to apologize and attempt to redeem themselves. Don’t feel bad for expressing yourself the way you did! That is really cool of him to apologize, by the way.

51 Bev February 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Way to go Meg. I am happy that Amy’s Breads manager apologized. the power of social media is great. Let’s hope we don’t run into any censurein the future.

52 Marissa February 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Woah! Cool!

53 Lish February 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Twitter really does make everything instantaneous and is completely changing the way companies do business. I’ve tweeted about my displeasure with Comcast cable, Verizon Wireless, and even a few restaurants and within minutes I’ve had people from those respective businesses contacting me to offer resolutions. None of my tweets were intended to get that kind of reaction, but it is nice to know that someone at those companies DOES care about my frustrations. It makes me feel like I want to stick with them (which I’m sure is their intended goal) and has caused me to give a few of the restaurants a second chance (which is usually against my rule – bad food/service once = me never returning). I love being in a new city and tweeting for recommendations or searching and seeing what people are saying about a new movie.

I know that people say Facebook is powerful in the social media world, but I definitely think that twitter trumps it because for the most part, everyone’s FB profile is private and unless you seek out those company pages to post your displeasure, no one but your friends is seeing you raving about how pissed at a company.

54 mishmashcat February 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I think there is a fine line here. Yes a company should always provide awesome customer service, but I think we as customers need to be careful of feeling entitled to get what we want just because we have the “power” to bad mouth a business on the internet. The internet is a “safe” place to vent for us. I’m not saying it’s not all warranted and I’m not directing this at Meghann, this is just my opinion as a small biz owner. The world of Yelp, etc. makes us feel like we can never say no and consumers often have no idea the ramifications they can have on their local businesses.

55 Ali February 17, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Well said.

56 runningaroundnormal February 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Wow what a heart felt email! Luke seemed very sincere in that! That’s grea tthey took the time to write such a lengthy response to you 🙂

57 adrienmelaine February 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

That is insane- I just caught up on the whole thing- happy that it happened that way- better they found out about it so they could do something about it then have it happen again- it’s good what you did and your previous post wasn’t too malicious, even if you feel it may have been now.

58 pinkflopflops February 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I told my husband the other day that he should get a Twitter account soley to get us better customer service through our cable company if it was possible. I have heard of many people getting problems taken care of within minutes/hours of having something posted on twitter. Kind of nice to actually get CUSTOMER SERVICE to work properly.

59 Ali February 17, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I kind of find it hard to believe that you are surprised by the power of what you say on your blog. How many offers, gifts, and coupons do you receive monthy because companies know how many people follow your blog and know how powerful your opinion is?

Before anyone jumps down my throat for having an opinon – You are ABSOLUTELY 100% ALLOWED TO SPEAK YOUR MIND ON YOUR BLOG and get angry at whomever you please…but I think it’s very slick to act like you had no idea something like that would happen after you vented like that. I really hope that manager still has a job next week! Everyone has bad days!

60 foodcents February 17, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I think you had every right to feel the way you did.

It was a nice apology letter and I am glad the manager took the time to write it. I just wonder if you didn’t have a blog with a large audience, if the response would have been the same? I think it is a fair question to ask, because it is worse PR for them vs. if “Average Person” had had the same experience.

On the flip side, it could have very well been a bad day in their bakery (though does not justify the attitude) and might have just been there on the “off” day….

61 angiismyname February 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm

i think that social media and technology can be a double edged sword. not only does it give the ordinary citizen the power to be heard, but companies and individuals can really be hurt by a few simple words. i love the blog community and most of the people in there but with every thing in life there are some bad apples.

love you meggy

62 Rika February 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm

wow this topic is so intriguing.. it makes me want a twitter LOL 😀

63 Travel Eat Love February 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

As a marketer I think social media is huge and whether we like it or not, here to stay. Word of mouth happens at lightning speed nowadays. no one can hide!

64 NYCRunnerGirl February 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I loved this post. It’s interesting to see how social media really has changed marketing, PR, customer relations, etc.

Such a thoughtful letter from the manager! Do you think you’ll take him up on his offer to try out the scones again?

65 Paige February 17, 2010 at 8:12 pm

This was a really well written and interesting post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts

66 Angie February 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Meghann…

I have been a fan of your blog for at least 6 months and never commented…
But I have to say NO you did the right thing in the situation. It’s GREAT that you blogged about your bad experience. Customer Service in America is greatly deteriorating. I have not been to a place yet where i left the place and felt satisfied with the service i received.
Regardless of the business …everyone should be treated with respect! Heck i am in the military and even though we have rules about etiquette..peoples attitudes come out. its sad that the world has gotten like this! No wonder why the US has a bad rep.
I think it was respectful that the manager did email you but…it doesnt excuse the fact that their establishment was wrong! I hope they take this and learn from it. Just cos someone is having a busy/bad day doesn’t mean take it out on another person! Especially a manager who should have MADE the time to find out the true situation…. the one thing i thought about as I read your blog that night was to please the customer (whether it was you or someone else) or so it used to be regardless.

67 jenngirl February 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Wow what an incredible response!!

While the power of the social media these days is certainly overwhelming at times, I think it is just like any other powerful tool–when used correctly and efficiently it can do A LOT of resourceful and good things.

68 Dana February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Don’t feel bad about how you reacted during your trip to Amy’s Bread. I’m glad that the manager took time to write you a formal letter of apology because YOU DESERVED IT. It was only right of him to apologize and attempt to make amends (and sorry to sound cynical, but it was also an attempt for him to try not to loose too much business – I’m sure he knew you would post about his apology as well).

69 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:29 am

What a great letter! Personally, I think that blogging or tweeting can only help how restaurants, cafes, or even airlines are run – but only if they take it as constructive criticism. Obviously, if they end up pissing off a customer, that customer is going to relay that experience to all of their friends and family (I would think), ultimately leading that business to LOSE a little business. Reading a post like yours where you were treated poorly should have been read by Amy’s Bakery because sometimes people can’t see how they actually are behaving. What one person might think is “handling the situation” might not be just that.

I think you did fine with your past post, even if you were mad. It’s just being honest and I really think that’s what a lot of people are lacking nowadays.

K